User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
grisif OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
KLX250S or CRF250L

Hi guys im after one of these two but I'm really stuck on which one to get, they both seem to balance each other out with their pluses and minuses as far as I can see the CRF has a better engine, KLX has better suspension, CRF is a much newer design, KLX is lighter, CRF better on road, KLX better off road, CRF looks like better quality, KLX has folding gear lever and protection for the rear brake caliper, CRF 1 radiator, KLX 2 radiators, both have fuel injection here in the UK and price is very similar Aaaaaarrrrr

Ruled out DRZ400, I recently sold my DRZ400SM it was too top heavy, badly needed a 6th gear and the carburetion was a bit crap, the only thing it seems to have over the 250's is power, I'm 5 11" and 155lb and the DRZ had more than enough power off road.

I'd prefer a WR250R but whey rarely show up for sale and when they do they're always mashed, got high mileage and just as expensive as a brand new CRF or KLX so their ruled out also.

The bike I get will be used as a true dualsport, I'm not interested in any of the race bikes, I put over 1000 miles a month on the DRZ so one of the race engined enduros wont cut it.

Has anyone ridden both the CRF and KLX and which is better as an all round package
grisif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
flatwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
suspension gets my vote i have klx, many options on bigger jug to, 300-330-351
flatwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatwoods View Post
suspension gets my vote i have klx, many options on bigger jug to, 300-330-351
+1 for KLX.

Lighter with better suspension and a solid engine.
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
scoutDad
IBA#203

Oddometer: 327
KLX for the suspension, lighter weight, better aftermarket support.

Plus, due to it being in production longer, good used parts are a lot more plentiful if you were to have a get off and need to replace anything that was damaged.
06 KLX250, 07 KLX250, 06 KLX250
1 scoutDad, 2 Eagles, and 3 KLX’s heading to Colorado
scoutDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,578
Another KLX vote here too. I've owned 2 of them and they are solid well built machines. Quirky in some ways, but good bikes. The Hondas are good too, I assume, but the suspension is rubbish and they are way too heavy for my tastes.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
KLX250S better suspension, lighter, engines ability to get to 351, lots of plastic color options, and they have tachometers.

Ohenry
Old 10-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,872
+1 for the KLX. There is no excuse for the newly designed, over weight lump that is the CRF.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,846
Just goes to show you what the media knows... The idiots in Motorcyclist gave negative remarks to the KLX because they didn't like the bar bend and the lack of EFI.

A $30 bar, which is a personal choice since some may want higher or flatter ones, is a simple fix if needed. Back when magazines would actually be willing to make minor mods, it was almost an automatic they would put a specific favorite bar bend on the latest CZ or Bultaco. Now they whine. What's next? Whining because the manufacturer didn't rotate the brake levers to their preferred placement?

As for EFI, it is nice, but it seemed motorcycles ran for a century without it. The mods to gain power with the stock carb are out there in forums, no electronics to mess with. You can also go to a bigger carb to suit performance modifications.

The Honda offers a great beginner package that would cost over $500 to bring up to the suspension level of the KLX. The KLX was acknowledged as the most enduro like in a shoot out of the WR, the CRF, and the KLX. That is to say it is most like a full on woods bike.

The fact is the KLX is stuck in the middle, being a better bike in general than the CRF250 for everyone except the guy who leaves everything bone stock and putts around, and it is not the quickest/fastest/lightest as the Yamaha WR. But the potential is there for sure. Plus it was based on a proven off roader - the KLX300, so the frame design, along with hubs/brakes, has well over a decade of true off road use.

From my point of view as an experienced rider who wants to maintain a budget a bit, the KLX was perfect - the most for my money. A bike I can make better with minimal expenditure. It can change as I want it, tweaking the carb, adjusting suspension within the limits, then maybe a 351 kit in a bit, possibly re-valving the forks and shock sometime. The CRF would need different forks or revalving and definitely a different shock to meet what the KLX already has.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
grisif OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
KLX it is then thanks guys for your feedback
grisif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:39 AM   #10
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisif View Post
KLX it is then thanks guys for your feedback
Old 10-03-2014, 04:43 AM   #11
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,872
Did we leave any doubts?

Also a milestone in ADV history was reached on this post.....Everyone agreed on something and it didn't go 25 pages and end up a flame war in the basement.

fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:52 AM   #12
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,206
Wow! I'm struggling with the same questions. I don't really need my big DR any more. I want a smaller, lighter, more modern bike,
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #13
Gdawgs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I had this dilemma last year. The CRF and the KLX were parked right next to each other at the dealer. I went with the CRF as EFI won a lot of points with me. If they were both FI, I very well may have gone with the Kawi.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #14
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Did we leave any doubts?

Also a milestone in ADV history was reached on this post.....Everyone agreed on something and it didn't go 25 pages and end up a flame war in the basement.

Let me hose that up...

KTM690! The only answer when one wants a motorcycle.

Beginner bike - KTM690
Light trail rider - KTM690
Commuter bike - KTM690
Sport bike - KTM690
Sport Tourer - KTM690
Tourer - KTM690
Dual sport - KTM690
Adventure bike - KTM690
Bobber - KTM690
Chopper - KTM690
Cruiser - KTM690
Classic - Penton 175 Jack Piner

Sorry... got carried away...

Honestly, I was waiting to see someone come in and recommend a 450 or 690. Seems someone would recommend them even if the decision was between a Schwinn or a Huffy beach bomber.

Mark - klx678

markk53 screwed with this post 10-03-2014 at 05:42 AM
Old 10-03-2014, 05:39 AM   #15
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdawgs View Post
I had this dilemma last year. The CRF and the KLX were parked right next to each other at the dealer. I went with the CRF as EFI won a lot of points with me. If they were both FI, I very well may have gone with the Kawi.

Suspension with multi-adjustable rebuildable shock meant far more for me than EFI over carb. I am more concerned with being able to dial in the ride than I am about the minor issues at start up with the Kaw high idle.

I know I can deal with the carb lean jetting for under $100, but I can't get a shock for under $400. Granted I'd love to have EFI if it can deal with modifications like maybe a 351, but the suspension... not everyone fits one mold when it comes to that. I come in near 200 lb dressed and ready to crash, others may be up to 75 lb lighter or heavier. Then there is the skill factor and riding conditions. Adjustable damping is definitely good.

By the way, for those who own the 2009 and newer KLX, I did the Marcelino Cam Modification (freebie I did while reshimming valves) and the recommended pilot jet, disabling the automatic compression release and my bike starts almost instantly, going off choke in less than 30 seconds in weather from 60° up. I was truly amazed. No more spinning the engine for 30 seconds, hit the button and it fires. My bet is the automatic compression release is not really set for an electric start bike, I think it is a hold over from the KLX300 kick start. Neither the Honda nor the Yamaha have compression releases.

I haven't tried in cold weather because I haven't had the bike when I could do that. I will this fall, but I'm betting it's going to fire up fine. In hot weather it only needed the enrichener to start, from there it was off in a few seconds.

Mark - klx678