Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #46
Geekventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Question Hole or No Hole...that is the question!

I sure hope it's not coming from that hole! Thanks for the info...I will try to look a little harder after I clean in next time.

So let's say it actually is the thermostat above...what needs to be done to fix it? (o-ring?)
  • new gasket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
Is it actually coming from that hole or the thermostat fitting above?

That hole is a drain for the spark plug well and shouldn't have coolant leaking out of it unless you have a cracked head in the plug area.... The purpose of the hole is to allow fluid to drain out after deep water crossing so it doesn't foul the electronics...
Geekventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #47
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,779
I believe it's just a regular o-ring.. 21mm x 2mm...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #48
Geekventure
Adventurer

Which O-Rings do I need to replace...#31(x2) or #33?

So there are 3 O-Rings for the thermostat...

P#31: 0770 320020 O-RING 32.00X2.00
P#33: 0770 021020 O-RING 21.00X2.00 NBR70

If my coolant is coming out of that little hole on the top right side of the head block...

Originally Posted by 666

Which O-Rings do I need to replace...#31(x2) or #33?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #49
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,935
You would replace all of them, they're just o-rings. But that hole goes directly to the spark plug. . . . are you sure it's coolant coming out of it?
You should take off the gas tank, take off the spark plug wire, and look down at the spark plug with a flashlight. Is there water or coolant down there?

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 AM   #50
Geekventure
Adventurer

Question Which O-Rings do I need to replace...#31(x2) or #33?

99% sure it's coolant because it's orange...just like my coolant.

OK...so whatever it is that is coming out of that hole is originally going in up top where the spark plug wire goes into the cylinder head and wraps around the plug itself?

Or...is it coming from and internal area and seeping out that hole?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 AM   #51
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,340
I suspect that if o-ring #33 leaks, the coolant will flow down the head past that hole. Some of that leaked coolant could get blown back up the hole, making it look like the coolant is coming from the hole rather than above and outside it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #52
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Replace #33, 5 min job. Dry the sparkplug hole, dry the drain hole with a q-tip, clean the engine and look if the leak repeats.....
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:17 AM   #53
Geekventure
Adventurer

Eek Electrical Engineering Problem...

I will do so and report back!

I have another issue...it' posted here if your feeling like some electrical engineering crap!

Thanks for all your time!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #54
vulture
Scavenger

Oddometer: 117
This a great guide, thanks LC4 Pilot. I rebuilt the water pump on my '99 640 Adv and it went smoothly.

Two questions:

1) After installing the new bearings/shaft/seal into the housing, how hard should it be to turn the shaft? I can turn it by hand but it's pretty stiff. Maybe it's just because the new seal is tight?

2) See the pin near the outer edge of the housing in LC4 Pilot's picture below? I don't have that pin, just a nicely machined little hole in the edge of my housing. The pin was never there or it fell out. I assume the pin fits in the engine housing groove and keeps the pump from moving outward away from the engine? I figure I can make one from a small bolt and press it & loctite it in there. Better ideas?

vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #55
Sean70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture
This a great guide, thanks LC4 Pilot. I rebuilt the water pump on my '99 640 Adv and it went smoothly.

Two questions:

1) After installing the new bearings/shaft/seal into the housing, how hard should it be to turn the shaft? I can turn it by hand but it's pretty stiff. Maybe it's just because the new seal is tight?

2) See the pin near the outer edge of the housing in LC4 Pilot's picture below? I don't have that pin, just a nicely machined little hole in the edge of my housing. The pin was never there or it fell out. I assume the pin fits in the engine housing groove and keeps the pump from moving outward away from the engine? I figure I can make one from a small bolt and press it & loctite it in there. Better ideas?
I'll just jump in; Quick answer to your questions:

1. Yes it'll be pretty stiff to turn with the new seal.
2. The pin will stop it from rotating, and make's sure it has the proper orientation, I think, as the groves will hold the pump in. Just make sure there's a matching hole in the engine for the pin, the pins not stuck in there is it?

2006 KTM 625 SMC
Sean70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #56
vulture
Scavenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean70
I'll just jump in; Quick answer to your questions:

1. Yes it'll be pretty stiff to turn with the new seal.
2. The pin will stop it from rotating, and make's sure it has the proper orientation, I think, as the groves will hold the pump in. Just make sure there's a matching hole in the engine for the pin, the pins not stuck in there is it?
1. Cool, thanks.

2. After looking at this more closely, I think the pin is supposed to be missing. The way the pump fits into the engine, the pin would not work there. I know the design on the older pumps is different (1 o-ring vs 2), maybe this is another design difference.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #57
Sean70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
If there is no corresponding hole for the pin in the rocker cover where the pump slots in then it might not be meant to be there.

Mines a 2006 and it has the pin.

2006 KTM 625 SMC

Sean70 screwed with this post 03-08-2010 at 08:05 PM
Sean70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #58
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,190
my 03 has a pin
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #59
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Vulture, my '01 has the pin and two O-rings, the pin goes in a hole on the rocker cover and defines the correct position of the pump in relation to the head and the rocker cover. Search the pump seat on the rocker cover side for the little hole.....

See the arrow on the pic? That "tooth" on the pump body has to be parallel to the head/rocker cover seat when mounting it.....the little pin fits inside the hole and keeps the pump from potential rotating in the seat....

I would for sure make some kind of pin and epoxy it in.
Attached Images

makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #60
vulture
Scavenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica
Vulture, my '01 has the pin and two O-rings, the pin goes in a hole on the rocker cover and defines the correct position of the pump in relation to the head and the rocker cover. Search the pump seat on the rocker cover side for the little hole.....

See the arrow on the pic? That "tooth" on the pump body has to be parallel to the head/rocker cover seat when mounting it.....the little pin fits inside the hole and keeps the pump from potential rotating in the seat....

I would for sure make some kind of pin and epoxy it in.
No hole on the rocker cover side or the cylinder head side. There is nowhere for a pin to fit - the groove on the water pump side where the pin could go matches to a smooth ridge on the rocker cover/cylinder head side. Also, my water pump has no "tooth" like you pointed out. I don't see anything that would keep the water pump from rotating (other than it being a pretty tight fit). Maybe that's why they changed the design in later years??