User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Griff OP
alpha lurker

Oddometer: 88
Question KTM 380 Anyone?

Just picked up a very clean, '99 KTM 380, and there is very little information in regards to the model on the internet.
I have previously owned a 520 KTM, and a '00 250 WR and '76 390 WR Husky.
Wanted any experiences with the big two stroke, and any recommendations, and advice from past owners, and riders of this bike.

Thanks,

Griff
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
oldasdirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Griff
Just picked up a very clean, '99 KTM 380, and there is very little information in regards to the model on the internet.
I have previously owned a 520 KTM, and a '00 250 WR and '76 390 WR Husky.
Wanted any experiences with the big two stroke, and any recommendations, and advice from past owners, and riders of this bike.

Thanks,

Griff
Thay are super touquy sonofaguns. You'll love the thing if you like big thumpers. That about the only bike besides trials 2 strokes I'd call a thumper. oldasdirt
oldasdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
KenR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,664
Gobs of torque and a really fun bike to ride. I have one of it's predecessors, a '97 KTM 360MXC that's pretty much mothballed now.

By '99 KTM made a number of improvements to the chassis to make them actually turn. Dicks Racing did some engine and suspension work on my '97 and it made a HUGE difference in all areas.

The 380 is a motor that doesn't like to be twisted on...it has great low and mid-range power but isn't really a high revver.

Congrats on the new ride!
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
oldasdirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
By the way where did you find a 380 at? I was going to get one but they didn't have one in the whole state when I bought my first DRZ. I've rode the 360 before and knew it came from that motor. It was more fun than should be allowed damn near it. oldasdirt
oldasdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
Orangetwin411
Katoom Rider

Oddometer: 292
I have a 02 380SX. It's a ton of fun on the track and not half bad in the woods with stock gearing. I bought mine last fall as a very long awaited leftover. The last of the big bores so to speak. There's a bunch of jetting info over on KTMTalk.com. Mine is still stock and I have no complaints. Keep on eye out for loose bolts, it has a tendancy to vibe a bit .
2005 KTM 300 MXC
2005 Kawasaki V2K Ltd
2005 KTM 525 SX
2007 KTM 950R
http://bigsaint.smugmug.com/
Orangetwin411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Badum-bump

Just joined the big bore 2t world with an '01 380 EXC.

What a fun ride.

Has anybody got one that doesn't spooge like crazy?

cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
I should have my 380 next week to swap out with my 300. Really curious how much more she'll have. Hope the jetting doesn't take to long.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
cRAsH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
I should have my 380 next week to swap out with my 300. Really curious how much more she'll have. Hope the jetting doesn't take to long.
The "more" is the increased luggability, really.
My 300 is fast enough to scare the shit out of me, the 380 just adds a bit more torque to the equation.
That and an adjustable power valve. Make sure you play with that, it's the cats meow for adjusting the "hit" for different situations.

Seems like jetting is the big bugaboo, along with the spooging.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
LILBIT
Ride you must.

More chug sounds great. Honestly my 300s bottom is fine in 1-2 gear it's 3rd and up i would like more. On the pipe the 300 is more than i want half the time offroad. No problem on the PV. I tend to tweak small amounts to match the needle and my needs. Different needle tapers make much bigger changes.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
cRAsH
Banned

Quote:
Different needle tapers make much bigger changes.
Maybe I could pick your brain about that?
I'm running the JD red needle on the #1 clip, and a 35 pilot (7200' elevation)
yet it's still blubbery at 1/8` throttle opening. If I short shift it clears up just fine and lugs along beautifully.

Any hints?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #11
IndyTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRAsH
Just joined the big bore 2t world with an '01 380 EXC.
Cool - I just bought a 380 also. It's on its way, being shipped from AZ. I hope it's not the same one you just bought, or at least one of us in trouble.

There is a dedicated 380 thread over on KTMtalk, in the Oldies but Goodies / Big Bore KTMs thread: http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=159057

Stay in touch

"I didn't know where I was going but I knew it was somewhere..." -- Mr. Steward
-----------
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
2000 KTM 380 EXC
2006 Kawasaki KLR300R
IndyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:20 AM   #12
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Quote:
Maybe I could pick your brain about that?
I'm running the JD red needle on the #1 clip, and a 35 pilot (7200' elevation)
yet it's still blubbery at 1/8` throttle opening. If I short shift it clears up just fine and lugs along beautifully.

Any hints?
I know tons of people love their JD needle but the problem is you only have two optons. Red or blue. The chance of you getting it just right with only two choices is slim. The worst range to tune is the 1/16-1/8. Can be hard to tell barely lean or barely rich at 1/16 throttle as well. If you are rich at 1/8 i'd normal look for a clip change. If it's close half a clip. If the problem is below in the first crack to maybe 3/16 then you need to change diameters. This is the problem with only having two available. I have no experience with JDs needle and i'm not trying to bad mouth them but i like options so i have many needles from Sudco. Let me get done with my new motor and i can send you a few to try if you want. Possible you are to far outside the norm at 7500' to run what you have. Other option is a leaner slide then richen up the idle to 1/16.Are you sorry you asked yet? What slide do you have?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #13
BuellDualSport
Banned

Oddometer: 891
Link no Work

Tim

Link required registration.

Is that correct?

Thanks
BuellDualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
Quote:
Any hints?
One of the last things I did to my old 300 was to close up a leak in the choke circuit of its PWK carburetor. I suppose on the smaller bores, the choke plunger seal for the air passage is fine, but on mine it allowed a significant amount of unmetered air into the motor. This screwed up the off-idle running.

On the PWK the simple solution was to plug up the large choke port on the intake bell. This eliminates the high-idle for starting, which can be a problem. The benefit is that it will give a more consistent air-fuel draw at part throttle, making it easier to dial in for best power.

You can also experiment with different slides. And I prefer the triple taper needles so I bought a bunch of them and picked the one that felt the best. A bit harder to dial in but you get a nice off-idle hit with them that works wonders for sand and short shifting.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #15
cRAsH
Banned

Quote:
I know tons of people love their JD needle but the problem is you only have two optons. Red or blue. The chance of you getting it just right with only two choices is slim. The worst range to tune is the 1/16-1/8. Can be hard to tell barely lean or barely rich at 1/16 throttle as well. If you are rich at 1/8 i'd normal look for a clip change. If it's close half a clip. If the problem is below in the first crack to maybe 3/16 then you need to change diameters. This is the problem with only having two available. I have no experience with JDs needle and i'm not trying to bad mouth them but i like options so i have many needles from Sudco. Let me get done with my new motor and i can send you a few to try if you want. Possible you are to far outside the norm at 7500' to run what you have. Other option is a leaner slide then richen up the idle to 1/16.Are you sorry you asked yet? What slide do you have?
Yeah, in retrospect I could have bought a bunch of needles/jets for the price of the JD kit.

Live and learn.

I'm running a 7.0 slide (Slavens grind). The issue is right off idle, so I'm thinking needle diameter?
It came with a NOZI needle, maybe I should try it with the 35 pilot?

Anyway, thanks for your help and good luck with your new motor!