User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
GoNOW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Question ADV950: Bike making coolant?

Ok, this is strange. I was just putting around town doing normal around town stuff. Shopping and stuff. All slow. I notice the idle is a little low, so at the next stop, I mess with the idle adjustment a bit. I could only get it to idle at 1800 or 1200 RPM, so I give up on it for now. As I get off the bike, I notice watter dripping. The bike overflowed the coolant. The little tank is full and around 2 cups overflowed on the ground. Strange. The level was fine last time I checked it. The bike showed 5 bars was was not running hot.

So I go do my shopping and come back in a few hours to find the coolant tank empty. I start it back up and let the bike warm up as I gear up. I can now see a little coolant in the bottom of the tank.

I drive the bike home. No overheating, and by the time I get home, the coolant tank is at a normal level.

I just checked the now cooled down bike. No coolant in the tank.

What is going on here? Failing water pump?

Thanks for any help.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Sounds like you've got an air bubble trapped in there somewere. I dont know the exact method to get it out, it involves lifting the front wheel in the air so the bubble can excape.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,004
Check your radiator cap.

If it's got crud on it, try cleaning it and see if you still get such big variations in your coolant level.

Cheers
Old 04-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
mastiffdog2
A Bike Addict

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
Sounds like you've got an air bubble trapped in there somewere. I dont know the exact method to get it out, it involves lifting the front wheel in the air so the bubble can excape.
Can you please expand on this repair concept?

Thank you.
mastiffdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
GoNOW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Good idea on the cap. I just checked it, it had some gray moss stuff built up on it. I was able to scrub it off.

Does the gray moss tell me it's time to do the recall on the water pump?
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiffdog2
Can you please expand on this repair concept?

Thank you.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...bleed+radiator
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
Autostream
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,826
The grey moss is residue from the casting process that most of the 950's seem to have. It builds up on the seals and stops the raditor cap working properly.

What should happen is the cap holds pressure, lets out excess pressure and sucks water back in to the radiator as the water cools and shrinks. This way the radiator is always completely full. The expansion tanks function is to handle the water that is expanded out and hold it until it is sucked back in.

if you get enough of this grey crud, moss, residue or whatever you want to call it, the valve will not seal properly so the radiator will not hold pressure properly, may be more prone to boiling the water off and overflowing the bottle. If the seal is not correct the water will also not be drawn back into the radiator as it cools off.

If the engine is not getting hot I suggest clean the radiator cap and keep topping up the expansion tank up until it stops taking water. All is normal if it is on the lower mark when cold and upper mark when hot.

if you suspect overheating or fan seems to work erratically I suggest following the link above to bleed the radiator.

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:11 AM   #8
taco

Oddometer: n/a
"gray moss" I'd rather have Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW
Good idea on the cap. I just checked it, it had some gray moss stuff built up on it. I was able to scrub it off.

Does the gray moss tell me it's time to do the recall on the water pump?
I had the "gray moss " ,it was from the water pump wheel grinding against the inside of the pump cover.The wheel is a gray/ black plastic.It might be worth your time to pull the cover and have a look at the wheel as well as the cover to make sure this is not the case.There is a coating on the inside of the cover,if your wheel is grinding it will be apparent.Good luck.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:02 AM   #9
Autostream
Beastly Adventurer

The grey moss is the stuff that builds up on the cap, it is soft to touch and dries to something like fine sand.

The plastic from the water pump impeller is much blacker, hard and does not coat the seals on the radiator cap in the same way...

Hopefully this will help you diagnose the problem with less angst and more accuracy.

Cause it does not help with my black plastic...was not there at 7500km when I changed coolant, but grey stuff was. This time at 15000k have little grey stuff left, but now black plastic. Pulled waterpump - OK, pulled thermostst...ok??? anyone else know where this plastic may have come from?

Old 04-24-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
Thanks JS, thats the method I has thinking of.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:59 AM   #11
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW
What is going on here? Failing water pump?
I've been dealing with similar symptoms for a while...
Firstly, as others have said, raise front wheel 24" and purge sytem of air. Then ride the bike and see what happens.
The level in the overflow tank should rise slightly as the engine gets hot, it should return to where it was once the bike cools as the return valve in the radiator cap allows the vacuum in the system to draw coolant back in.
The grey sludge on the cap can stop this happening as it stops the return valve opening - straightforward so far.
One thing to watch and which (in hindsight) can tell you a lot is, if the coolant isn't returning from the overlow tank, once the bike is cool and you take of the radiator cap s l o w l y you'll hear/see air being either sucked into the system or blown out. If it's sucked in it's most likely the radiator cap return valve that's blocked (the level will drop slightly too) but if you see bubbles coming out through the overflow tank you're likely to have bigger problems.
I replaced the radiator cap and hoped for the best but the level of in the tank kept climbing under hard use, the radiator had a lot of air pressure in it too - seems it's either the head gasket, water pump or a crack in the cyclinder liner... I'll keep you posted.
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #12
bfulmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Making Coolant?

Did you check your oil? Make sure it's not a grey foamy mess! I had the idle problem along with it running slightly hotter as my water pump starting taking a crap.
bfulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
When I flushed my coolant I was careful to bleed the radiator by raising the front wheel. Today I rode home from work, parked the bike on its side stand, turned off the ignition, and was greeted by the reservoir emptying itself onto the garage floor.

There were small amounts of the "gray moss" in the coolant before I flushed it. I cleaned the radiator cap at that time. Now there are little dark gray flakes in the coolant. Can't be sure, but they seem darker in color than the moss, and larger (though still pretty small, ranging from specks to little flakes). Am I looking at a water pump teardown :-( ?

Bike is an '04 and has 7300 miles on it.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #14
Autostream
Beastly Adventurer

Just been through this myself...

Been cleaning the "Grey Moss" out for some time and suddenly got greeted by what I thought was black plastic! Oh great! waterpump....I thought..

So I take the bike to the Dealer and show a bag full of coolant with this black stuff...he tears the water pump out, no probs. Checks thermostat and it's full of the stuff but not the source????

Pulls the Radiator and that has some in it too...???

Turns out the stuff disolves in HOT water and they cleaned it out as best they could. Discussed the issue with KTM Tech Guys and they say they have seen it too and it is all part of the same old left over casting residue...

I guess it is a fine line between knowing if it is water pump or "residue", if it dissolves in HOT water it is not waterpump...

Gee you get a lot of stuff for free with this bike...

Old 05-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #15
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostream
Turns out the stuff disolves in HOT water and they cleaned it out as best they could. Discussed the issue with KTM Tech Guys and they say they have seen it too and it is all part of the same old left over casting residue...

I guess it is a fine line between knowing if it is water pump or "residue", if it dissolves in HOT water it is not waterpump...
Tried this test. The black bits just settle to the bottom. Sigh...I assume this is a "park the bike straightaway" type of failure.