Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2006, 03:17 AM   #1
Autostream OP
Gravity flailer

Oddometer: 5,826
Question 950 OEM handle bar dimensions

Hey Guys help me out here.

I know someone got the dimensions of the original 950 bars from Renthal, using the same way as measuring as their catalogue to be able to compare with specs of other bars in the range....

I have searched and searched until my eyes glazed over but can't find the post.....can anyone remember it and point me in the right direction please?

Autostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
From Renthal tech support:

Please find below the dimensions for our Fatbar part number 792-01

A 775mm
B 120mm
C 63mm
D 130mm
E 105mm

A: Width end to end
B: Height from clamp center to grip end
C: Rise center to center
D: Clamp area width
E: Sweep center to center

Compared to the ProTaper Pastrana FMX, generally the most popular aftermarket swap bar, the biggest difference is the sweep which is nearly 1/2 that of OEM listed above. The Pastrana FMX bend has same width and height as stock.
Take care
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
Autostream OP
Gravity flailer

Thanks Big Mac.

Now I can sit down to see what fits best with my wishes of...

About half sweep of stock.
Slight upwards angle on grips.
High as possible.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
From Renthal tech support:

Please find below the dimensions for our Fatbar part number 792-01

A 775mm
B 120mm
C 63mm
D 130mm
E 105mm

A: Width end to end
B: Height from clamp center to grip end
C: Rise center to center
D: Clamp area width
E: Sweep center to center

Compared to the ProTaper Pastrana FMX, generally the most popular aftermarket swap bar, the biggest difference is the sweep which is nearly 1/2 that of OEM listed above. The Pastrana FMX bend has same width and height as stock.
Take care
The Pastrana has a Width 30.50'' Height 4.75'' Pull Back 2.17'' (Renthal, Carmichael High Bend is about the same). I agree w/ BigMac, as it seems to be the most popular. For a standing position, it is probably the best.

I am 6'0''and have the KTM 608 Fatbar. they are about the same hight as stock, but with less pull back. Width 31.81'' Hight 3.74'' Pull Back 1.50'' (I bet the Pull Back # is a misprint, I would guess it should be close to 2.10''-2.20''). I have a little extra hight w/ the Emig clamps.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Autostream OP
Gravity flailer

I have been using the 608's for a while and prefer them over the stock bars. I actually quite like the stock bar angles if you roll them right forward so about half of the sweep is back and half is up...but then they are way forward and way too low.

If I can get a similar uplift/sweep as that, but higher and not placed forward I think it will be happy.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI
The Pastrana has a Width 30.50'' Height 4.75'' Pull Back 2.17'' (Renthal, Carmichael High Bend is about the same).
The Carmichael High Bend is considerably different in one critical dimension: they're 813mm wide. That's 1.5" wider for the metrically challenged. The rise and sweep are indeed nearly identical to the Pastrana FMX. The Carmichael HB also can be trimmed at ends to eliminate some width, unfortunately only about 20mm at each end is max one can cut to still maintain enough width for mounting brake levers, switches, grips, etc. Take care
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
The Carmichael High Bend is considerably different in one critical dimension: they're 813mm wide. That's 1.5" wider for the metrically challenged. The rise and sweep are indeed nearly identical to the Pastrana FMX. The Carmichael HB also can be trimmed at ends to eliminate some width, unfortunately only about 20mm at each end is max one can cut to still maintain enough width for mounting brake levers, switches, grips, etc. Take care
Thats good to know. I would consider the extra width a good thing. It would put it about the same width as the KTM 608 FAT bar.

Would you happen to know what the KTM 608 FAT bar pull back is (in inches). My book says 1.50'', but that just doesn't seem right to me.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
lofdog1313
lofdog1313

Oddometer: 20
Risers?

I just went the riser route being 6'2" standing up was hard cause I'd have to let go of the bars. The risers made things much better with lots less hassle than changing bars. After all I usually wait till I tweak um good before replacing them.

Crap be right back better go !!!!!!!!!!

Ok back.

My dad after I'd get home from race practice would ask me if I'd fell at all. If I said no not at all I was doing great today. He'd say "Hell you we're, if you didn't fall that just means you weren't pushing hard enough. You've got to push the envelope to have practice help you get faster. If you didn't fall you weren't pushing the envelope thus you just wasted another practice session. Now go clean the bike and get ready for tomorrtow." Everytime after that it was always yea had a gr8 day today dad crashed a shit load of times and learned a lot. But what am I gonna ride for this weekends races? The bike is toast!!!!!! Needs more than just bars !!!!!

Cheers,

Lof
1984 Honda 600XL Thumper
1973-4 CZ 250
1972 CZ 250 (Sold)
1972? Honda 175 Enduro (Sold)
1971 CZ 250 (Sold)
1971? Maico 500 (Sold)
1968? Sachs 125 (Sold)
1966? Hodaka 90 (Sold)
1966? Moto Guizzi 125? (Sold)
1965? Yamaha 50 Pink Step Through (Sold)
1958? Harley 175
lofdog1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,174
Stock, Magura MX, ProTaper Pastrana photo comparo.

Top to bottom, MX, Stock, Pastrana:

See more at my smugmug gallery
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #10
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
I went down the road in search of the magical best handlebar too. From stock to Magura MX, to Magura EX, to the 'famous' Pastrana, all with and without risers and.... back to the stock bars again. Gee, they weren't so bad after all...

Took me a year, too much money and too much time.

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,057
Just install a set of Protaper Pastrana FMX and you will be as happy as can be, the stock bars have way to uch sweep on them and will never fit propertlly unless you have about 13inch wide shoulders..

Here you can find a bunch of fotos comparing the stock bars with the pastranas on y bike (the orange one)

you can thank me later if you like...
Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 AM   #12
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Stock, Magura MX, ProTaper Pastrana photo comparo.

Top to bottom, MX, Stock, Pastrana:

See more at my smugmug gallery
Exelent Picture Stephen you can clearlly see how bend backwards the KTM bars are forcing you wrist into a execive bedn when you are sitting and also how flat they are making alos unconfortable when you are standing

think of your shoulders as pendulums (like on a old clock) you want the bar to follow the shape of the shoulder rotation and arm aligment so they are as confortable as possible...

Note the KTM Bar will work fine if they were place on a "Barback" that was about 2 ' back and 1' high (will touch the glove box anyway) so you can rotate them forward about 45 degrees,, then the sahpe is not so bad

thanks amigo for the awesome picture..
Old 04-27-2006, 08:02 AM   #13
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
... you can clearlly see how bend backwards the KTM bars are forcing you wrist into a execive bedn when you are sitting...

thanks amigo for the awesome picture..
Hola, Ricardo the thanks go to Mack, who brought both aftermarket bars by one day and said, "let's check'em all out!" I had to take some pics just so I could figure it all out.

I went with the MX; I needed straight and flat and low.
Now, with the Renazco "Tall Guy" saddle, the 950 feels even more like an old-school on-it not in-it bike, which is easy on my wrists, elbows and shoulders. But it has made me more aware of just how low the MX are, and more aware that if I were going to stand much, I'd need considerably taller bars, likely Pastranas and risers both. Wider bars might be better for technical work, but may or may not help comfort.

Thanks for all your help with ergos over the years, Sr. Suave.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:44 AM   #14
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Hola, Ricardo the thanks go to Mack, who brought both aftermarket bars by one day and said, "let's check'em all out!" I had to take some pics just so I could figure it all out.

I went with the MX; I needed straight and flat and low.
Now, with the Renazco "Tall Guy" saddle, the 950 feels even more like an old-school on-it not in-it bike, which is easy on my wrists, elbows and shoulders. But it has made me more aware of just how low the MX are, and more aware that if I were going to stand much, I'd need considerably taller bars, likely Pastranas and risers both. Wider bars might be better for technical work, but may or may not help comfort.

Thanks for all your help with ergos over the years, Sr. Suave.
Stephen as ussual you are a absolute delight to be around...

two things...

remenber when you are Seating the reference point is your Butt when you are Standingto referece point ofr the bar reach becoes your Feet yeas it sound like your typical "Yeah I know that" but most people do not aply it, what i'm trying to say is that you want to euqualize that diference from seating to standing as much as you can so you have less of a compromise with the bars,, when you are seating a taller and forward seat will keep you more on top of the bike making you already "Taller" by the time you stand up ad in the case of the pegs you can try to Lower them down as much as poosible (the fastways help a lot with out much of a compromise in ground clearace0 that way the bars don't eed to be as high as if you were riding with the stock footpegs

number two ...sadlly the way the bar clamps are mounted on the triple clamp is not ideal to put "Extensions" on it since they will tend to twist ad for sure bend the "Shafts" (basically a really long bolt made even longer for the extension) so at least in my opinion the best choice so far is to keep the bar clamps as low as possible and then sellect a bar as tall as you need,,,aka the pastrana FMX...magura also makes a really high bar but the bend is a little to much for seating comfort..

well i hope this helps...
Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 AM   #15
Autostream OP
Gravity flailer

Thanks to all for your input and my results

Thanks Guys,

In the end I went with Pastrana FMX's, although it was close deciding between them and Renthal MX High's.

If you want to get an idea on what the Pastrana's are like, tip your stock bars way forward about 30 degrees, so about half the sweep back becomes rise upwards... this is what the FMX's are like, but without without tipping them up and forward.

I liked the feel of stock bars tipped up/forward but this placed the grips physically too far forward, particularly as my Scotts damper/triple clamp puts the bar mounts 20mm further forward anyway.

The Pastrana's have less sweep, but more rise, that is the grips are tilted more upwards at the outside.

I had been using the 608 bend, but that is a little too flat for serious off roading in my opinion.