ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
beemer boy OP
Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer: 869
950 valve adjustment questions .... Help!!!!

Ok the ugly day has arrived..... After a year of flogging my 950 all over Asia the day has now come to perform major work . It now has 22,000 kilometers on it. For all the wheelies, power slides, and smiles on the faces of villagers, it is now time to pay the piper by taking care of service bulletins and valve adj. I need to do the valves, cylinder collar bolts, loctite the rotor bolts, and check the water pump for wear. Any other issues on an 2004 bike? Since I am in Thailand I do not have the pleasure of just dropping it off at the dealer. Or pain from dealer work reading some of these posts !!!
I do not have access to new shims so will have to lap them. If the spec size is .10 to .15 intake and .25 to .30 exhaust ( mm ) , and I am able to lap them exactly, should I go adjust to the low side or high side?
On the back two head bolts nuts apparently there is limited access. What exactly is a torque adaptor?? Could someone post a picture? If I go into the local Thai tool store I will only get a blank look if I ask for one.....
I thought that in my adv site travels I had run across a concise account of doing the valves on a 950. Assumed it was in the hall of wisdom but cannot find it there. Maybe I am a bad searcher. When I do a search for ktm valve adjustment I seem to only be able to find a lot of comments on valve adjustment, not the meat and potatos of the adjustment process itself.
Would appreciate it if someone would keep the flame thrower turned off and point me to the link if it exists. I have the ktm shop manual but it is pretty clunky to use. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

beemer boy screwed with this post 05-23-2006 at 07:25 AM
beemer boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:34 AM   #2
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
I haven't done a valve adjustment yet, though I'm due for one and would love to do it as a "tech session" in N GA in the near future with someone who's already done it (Todd?).

As far as a "torque adapter", if you can get to the nuts with a crow's foot or an open-end/box-end you can likely figure out a way to make it work.

Below is the setup I use for a couple of the exhaust nuts on my K1200RS with Staintune that I don't have a straight shot at.

If you can keep the angle of the torque wrench to the open-end/box-end wrench about 90, no conversion factor is needed. If not, there is a formula for torque wrench extensions (I can find it if you need it).
Attached Images

FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer boy
If the spec size is .10 to .15 intake and .25 to .30 exhaust ( mm ) , and I am able to lap them exactly, should I go adjust to the low side or high side?
You want to err towards the loose end (as in, more clearance) of the tolerance range.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
torque adaptor :
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

and you should do the torque conversion, even if it is at a 90 deg. angle. However, with the short (< 2" ) adaptor, the conversion is minimal, about 1.5% if I remember properly.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB
As far as a "torque adapter", if you can get to the nuts with a crow's foot
I tried a crow's foot, but couldn't get enough leverage, and wasn't able to find a flare nut crow's foot.

Quote:
Below is the setup I use for a couple of the exhaust nuts on my K1200RS with Staintune that I don't have a straight shot at.
If that approach really works I'll have to come to your house and kill you . I waited three weeks for a special order torque adapter.

Quote:
If you can keep the angle of the torque wrench to the open-end/box-end wrench about 90, no conversion factor is needed. If not, there is a formula for torque wrench extensions (I can find it if you need it).
According to the tech bulletin, setting the adapter at 90 degrees is a no-no (at least with the KTM adapter). Here is the formula.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
I have an old Petersen manual on how to use basic automotive tools.

The section on torque wrench adapters is 4 pages long, complete with formulas.

On first blush, it seems to me that a 90 angle would require essentially no adjustment to the desired torque since the overall "arm" is still the same.

Google just came up with this. It allows you to just plug in the numbers and come up with an answer - cool!

At 90 it still seems to me that since the "normal length" and the "extended length" are the same, so no adjustment is necessary (my original contention).
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote