User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #16
zaptoad
just a guy

Oddometer: 297
Supertrapp exhaust help

I agree that the Supertrapp's ( sold as Adventure-pipe ) can be a little on the loud side but this can be fixed. Historically with Supertrapp, power means loud. But don't forget the best part, they are very adjustable. Ususally for the 950, they recommend 4 to 8 disks. So when I got mine, I started with 6 disks, middle of the road. It was "too" loud, the wife complained, and by reading other threads most were using 5 disks. So I backed it off to 5 disks. This is the interesting part, even my wife noticed the reduction in power from just one disk. We decided that reducing it to 4 disks would be an unexceptable lose in power. Yes, she does like to ride fast too, a good woman. As we stood back away from the bike discussing the dilemma, noise vs: power, I commented to her that one could actually "see" inside the mufflers. Well, Duh! The tailpipes are excptionally short, so I grabbed 2 pieces of pipe that were lying there and held them up to the tailpipes. This made a huge reduction in noise. Step 2 was a test dummy, 2 inch OD pipe 4 inches long siliconed inside the end caps and off we went for a test drive. It was wonderful sounding and very tolerable. The next step was a permanent fix, we had 4 inches of stainless steel TIG'ed on the inside of the caps. Now our little LC8 has little down spouts and little noise too. But wait, here's the best part. We are also running 8 disks in each muffler, carbs jetted to match, and baby is really, really fast.
Mommy and Daddy are both very happy!

On another note, I also learened not to use the "nyloc's" that come in the kit that hold the mufflers on to the frame. Problem is, when you add heat the nylon melts and permanently glues everything together. When you try to disassemble it, the threads strip and you are forced to break the bolts in half to get them off. The cure is to put a piece of steel tubing in the rubber gromet and then use a regular ss bolt & split washer.

FWIW......
zaptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:16 PM   #17
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Question Details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaptoad
The next step was a permanent fix, we had 4 inches of stainless steel TIG'ed on the inside of the caps. Now our little LC8 has little down spouts and little noise too. But wait, here's the best part. We are also running 8 disks in each muffler, carbs jetted to match, and baby is really, really fast.
Any pics?
Jetting specs?

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #18
zaptoad
just a guy

Supertrapp Tails

I figured if I said anything, pictures should have followed. Me bad. I will take some tonight and post them tomorrow morning.

On jetting, elevation plays a large roll and I live at 3,000 feet. My air horn has been openned up a little to match my pipes. Mains are stock, needle clip in middle, pilots are set 2 & 3/8 turns out. I am currently looking for a different air cleaner. Charcoal canister and SAS stripped. Something I ran into when re-venting the overflow on the gas tanks you may have already found too........the original KTM tank vent spigots on still inside the directional side covers. Look for the little pin hole on the radiator side and stick your hand inside the cover to feel for it. Its molded right into the plastic. All one has to do is connect the tank overflow to the spigots and not worry about where to route the lines outside.

My bike is a black (and yes it does make a difference )2005.5 and just missed the crank oil orifice recall. KTM did say that it was affected by the crankcase breather valve recall, but I checked and it already has the 2 groove valve installed. So far, I have been luckier than my friend, who bought the orange one sitting right next to it on the dealer's floor.....

This is a carb jetting update. As it turns out, the wife ended up in the hospital and I made several high speed runs from home and back. The pipes started to show a lean condition, so I rejetted the mains to 60 & 65. Color looks much better now, lite brown to chocolate. I will also point out that with my air horn mod, I can hear the carbs alittle, right around the 3,000 rpm range but goes away by 4,000. Bike pulls nicely from 2,000 on up. FWIW
Attached Images

zaptoad screwed with this post 07-18-2006 at 11:06 AM Reason: Too lean!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #19
zaptoad
just a guy

more tails

Thought I'd add a side shot too! The trick is to get them out past the saddle bags. In the stock config, we noticed the pipes were louder when we had the saddle bags on, like an echo chamber. With the extensions, the crackle is gone with rumble remaining.
Attached Images

zaptoad screwed with this post 05-23-2006 at 11:37 AM Reason: more thoughts