Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
joshinthecity OP
www.joshinthecity.com

Oddometer: 135
DR650 (06) teach me about aftermarket handlebars.

Hey guys,
Loving this forum and loving my bike.
Mods so far:
IMS tank.
Corbin seat
14T front
Staintune full system
jetting (I gots lots of pops)
D606's
The usual.

I was out shopping for aftermarket bars today and came home more confused than when I left.
What I want is something stronger/lighter/higher (probably without a crossbar if I can)
Seems that I need the bars, plus a bar riser to make it all fit.

What I need from the brains trust is some advice on the style/brand/bend. Seems to me that the basic risers will give a 1 inch lift, posible negating the need for a very high bar. But please feel free to chime in with your thoughts and experiences.
I'm very keen to hear what has and hasn't worked for you guys.. I'm a big bloke, 6 ft, 120kg (260lbs)

In Oz, it seems to cost out at the following:
Bars. $120-$170 AU (Renthal etc)
risers. $40-50.
Labour to get someone else to do the hard work for me $50. (the best value of all probably)

Tell me all...

Thanks in advance,
Josh.
joshinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,697
Yah might find something on it here http://banditmotorcycles.com/v-web/b...n/bb/index.php
I got renthals high jimmy something or other bend on mine - no risers the higher you go the more you are likely you are to need to play around with cables etc. Do it yourself - it aint difficult.
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:00 AM   #3
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Hey Josh,

I have Renthal twinwalls on the DRZ, walked into MCAS parramatta and asked "give me your tallest bars" I ended up with Renthal twin walls in RC high bend. The fatbar adapters also bring them up abit. I'm 6ft as well and they are pretty right.
You should try to put them on yourself, learn more about the bike, and can put on some nice soft comfy grips.
The stock bars are rubbish, i bent them in my first minor drop on the 650. The twinwalls are indestructable. Launching the DRZ out of a 5ft deep rut, up and out into the air a further 3 ft and landing on its side. No bend!
Old 04-26-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
bitterjoe
killing the fatted calf

Oddometer: 2,053
I have used the CR-High bend for my bikes for a long time. I am 6' 1". I currently have a pair of ProTaper SE on mine ride and really like them. You could go with the Taperwall and get no crossbar, but you would need to change risers for fatter bars. ProTaper has a nice chart on their website that outlines the bend (width, height, and pullback) to help you decide.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
joshinthecity OP
www.joshinthecity.com

Oddometer: 135
[QUOTE=davorallyfan]Yah might find something on it here http://banditmotorcycles.com/v-web/b...n/bb/index.php
I got renthals high jimmy something or other bend on mine - no risers the higher you go the more you are likely you are to need to play around with cables etc. Do it yourself - it aint difficult.
QUOTE]

I think I should have said "adaptor". not riser. The thing that deals with the bars being thicker, also gives an inch or so of lift.
joshinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #6
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I really like pro-taper bars in CR-Mini High which happens to be indenticle to the semi-new "woods-high" bend. They are 30.5" wide with plenty of room for controlls, switches etc and higher than most any stock bar but without a lot of sweep. The full specs are published online for all the pro-taper bends. I've been using pro-tapers since the mid-1990's and am very fond of the bars. They are very durable, light and look good to boot
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
There a million ways to go with bars, as long as it involves dumping the junk stock noodle. I got Renthal RM bend 7/8" diameter bars with the crossbar. I got dirtly.com risers and the setupo works great for this 6'2" dude. I finished it with Moose racing alu handguards and gel grips + grip heaters..

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
oldasdirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
I'm pretty sure a Renthal in a Honda CR hi-bend would easily give you the inch lift you want. You want a bit higher go with the RC bend. oldasdirt
oldasdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,191
I put on some Pro Taper SE 7/8" bars with the KX HI bend, about $60 USD. Love them!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #10
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
i just have the stockers. what's the big deal?
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Z
i just have the stockers. what's the big deal?

Stock handlebars suck, they bend very easy and they are too wide

I have about $60 in this set-up

Tusk aluminum bars (cut down too 29"), no name ebay aluminum barkbusters, with Maier sheilds
Old 12-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #12
kiwi-gordon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Took my girlfriends DR650 for a blast in the bush. It was a week old and fully stock, came over a hill and hit a 4X4 rut in the track lost the front end and went down . Bent the bars so easy. She now has the Renthal Raptor bars, the same as my DR great for touring and very comfortable for when you need to get out of the saddle. She now wants me to take her bike out and dent the tank so I will need to replace that with a Safari.

Gordon
kiwi-gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 AM   #13
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,380
I'm running the Pro Taper SE 7/8 bar. I'm 6'3" and 260lbs they work great for me.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #14
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterjoe
I have used the CR-High bend for my bikes for a long time. I am 6' 1". I currently have a pair of ProTaper SE on mine ride and really like them. You could go with the Taperwall and get no crossbar, but you would need to change risers for fatter bars. ProTaper has a nice chart on their website that outlines the bend (width, height, and pullback) to help you decide.
Plus 1 on the ProTaper SE with the CR-High bend - that is what I have on my '06 DR650 and I love them. Much better than the stock pos bar.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #15
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
OreMike

What series of the Pro Taper Se bars are you running? I'm 6'3" also and would like to know which ones to pickup.

Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote