ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
MWM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Review of my Garmin 376C GPS

Since it was a rainy day yesterday I thought I'd post a review of my Garmin 376C with some pictures. This was during a trip to Mississippi I made yesterday evening. I've logged over 9000 miles on it and it has been a good GPS so far. I had a Garmin 176C (screen SUCKED in sunlight) and then went to a 176 (because of the sucky color screen on the 176C). The 176 was a good unit, especially for a boat, but I wanted more features.
The 376C has a built in antenna for all the GPS features, but it has a separate antenna for the XM Radio and satellite weather. I velcroed a spot on the front beak of the GS for the separate antenna in case I transfer the unit to a car, boat, etc.
Pros:
1) Really enjoy the satellite weather feature. It doesn't help much to get around the rain, but at least you know when to stop and put your rain gear on.
2) I like the fact that it's waterproof so you don't have to worry about the XM Radio feature.
3) The screen is very bright and even easy to see in direct sunlight.
4) Rechargeable battery has a good life span of around 6 hours, but it also comes with a 12 volt power supply and a 110 volt charger.
Cons:
1) Buttons are too small to use while wearing gloves.
2) The satellite weather and XM Radio cost right under $40.00 a month, which I would rather be cheaper.
3) The volume output for the radio could be a little louder. It's probably loud enough for most, but when you're listening to a talk channel i.e. Comedy Channel it's sometimes hard to understand the words at higher speeds.
4) The built in base map is limited and it cost about $100 to upgrade to city street level information.
5) The biggest con is that the XM Radio is very user friendly. You have to change from the GPS screen to change channels. When you do change channels you don't have a "previous" button to change back and forth from channels like on regular XM receivers (I know this probably just a man thing like flipping channels on a tv remote, but I am a man )
The only true defect I've found is the 110 volt charger plug that plugs into the back of the receiver broke off. Fortunately Garmin sent me another one right away free of charge.
All in all it's a very good GPS that I'm very pleased with and would recommend to anybody.

GPS mounted using a RAM mount

XM Radio/satellite antenna

Hi tech velco mount

Daytime screen shot of weather

Nighttime screen shot of weather

Nighttime screen shot of XM channels
MWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Hope I Can Help

I have had the 376C since it has been out and I might just add something that you may have already discovered. You are using a good deal of your screen display to show the data on the right. You can display four (4) overlay data fields, out of approximately 50 (I didn't count) without giving up any screen real estate.
The four I use are:
Top Left: SPEED
Top Right: TRACK (Marine for direction traveling)
Bottom Left: OAT (Air Temperature)
Bottom Right: XM Sat song/feature playing

The list of availabLe DATA FIELDS is excellent. When on a route you can change any of the data fields e.g. who needs temperature, DISTANCE TO NEXT WAYPOINT LOT MORE IMPORTANT. Etc. I hope I didn't insult you with this I just noticed your screen and thought perhaps you have not yet discovered this yet. BTW, i have a BMW NAV II (Garmin 2610 with City Navigator) and find the CITY SELECT, with the 512Mb datacards is just as good.

Regards,
John
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
MWM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
I have had the 376C since it has been out and I might just add something that you may have already discovered. You are using a good deal of your screen display to show the data on the right. You can display four (4) overlay data fields, out of approximately 50 (I didn't count) without giving up any screen real estate.
The four I use are:
Top Left: SPEED
Top Right: TRACK (Marine for direction traveling)
Bottom Left: OAT (Air Temperature)
Bottom Right: XM Sat song/feature playing

The list of availabLe DATA FIELDS is excellent. When on a route you can change any of the data fields e.g. who needs temperature, DISTANCE TO NEXT WAYPOINT LOT MORE IMPORTANT. Etc. I hope I didn't insult you with this I just noticed your screen and thought perhaps you have not yet discovered this yet. BTW, i have a BMW NAV II (Garmin 2610 with City Navigator) and find the CITY SELECT, with the 512Mb datacards is just as good.

Regards,
John
No insult at all! I listen to anybody's suggestions. I'm just used to the fields set up like this from my old 176 days. You don't know of anyway in changing the radio station without leaving the main screen do you? I have a Garmin 330 with the City Select preloaded and love the software. I guess I'll have to save up for the City Select and data card for this one.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 04-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM
No insult at all! I listen to anybody's suggestions. I'm just used to the fields set up like this from my old 176 days. You don't know of anyway in changing the radio station without leaving the main screen do you? I have a Garmin 330 with the City Select preloaded and love the software. I guess I'll have to save up for the City Select and data card for this one.

Thanks again,
Mike
Sorry Mike I don't know anyway (but haven't read the manual either), the 376C is neanderthal compared to my son's 2730 re: XM radio. I tend to leave it on a station without much changing so necessity wasn't the mother of invention in my case. You may want to check with Garmin re: City Select pre-loaded. I know that they will provide two (2) unlock codes for 2 serial numbered devices, but that's if you buy the software. I don't know if they give you download privileges on pre-loaded software.

One other thought, if you have a buddy that bought any version of City Select or City Navigator, perhaps you could persuade him/her to let you have one of his unlock codes for your 376C. It's perfectly acceptable to Garmin if he has a paid version. PM me if any questions . . . heck, I would have given you one of my unlock codes but I have used them both. Good luck

Good luck and regards,
John
Old 04-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
MWM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
One other thought, if you have a buddy that bought any version of City Select or City Navigator, perhaps you could persuade him/her to let you have one of his unlock codes for your 376C. It's perfectly acceptable to Garmin if he has a paid version. PM me if any questions . . . heck, I would have given you one of my unlock codes but I have used them both. Good luck

Good luck and regards,
John
I'm all ears if anybody has an extra code they want to make a deal on.

Mike
Old 04-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Tugrik
Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Cool! I've been waiting for just such a review. Let me inundate you with questions:

How much did you pay for it? From where?
Which RAM mount are you using (have a picture of the mount without the GPS on it?)
What does the XM antenna cable look like where it attaches to the unit? (hope it's just Mini-USB!)

Weather+Music is only $40? Last time I checked it was $100... but that was the full 'marine weather' package. They keep changing this line on me, which is why I've not gotten one yet.
Tugrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugrik
Cool! I've been waiting for just such a review. Let me inundate you with questions:

Which RAM mount are you using (have a picture of the mount without the GPS on it?)
What does the XM antenna cable look like where it attaches to the unit? (hope it's just Mini-USB!)

Weather+Music is only $40? Last time I checked it was $100... but that was the full 'marine weather' package. They keep changing this line on me, which is why I've not gotten one yet.
Fisherman package all you need + XM radio. Combined pricing is 29.99 + 6.99 + appropriate taxes.
I bought mine from TVNAV.COM; Darrel and Glenda authorized representatives . . . price about 800 bucks. But, to make it functional, get the Auto Nav package which includes City Select Database (maybe could share your unlock code with thread originator)+ get one 512 Mb datacard...125 bucks. The Auto Nav package I believe is 195 bucks. TVNAV sells the RAM Mount for the 376/276C. I put a Powerlet accessory outlet direct to battery and modified the cord to plug into the outlet. I have the shelf for the unit AND the XM smart antenna puck. Plugs into unit with min-USB Plug.

Any questions, let me know.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
MWM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry Mr./Mrs. Mod. I forgot about the GPS forum.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
MWM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I paid $660.00 new off EBay. Don't know how much you can buy one now for. I'm sure Garmin is updating to different models so these should be getting cheaper.

It is mini-usb, but they give you an extension cable with the unit. I'm not using the extension cable yet, but I'm having a custom made back plate built and it's got a dedicated spot for the antenna, so I'll have to use the extension to reach that far back.

Yes weather+music is cheaper. I'm hoping they'll drop the price some more.

Actually I used an old RAM mount I had for a 76S I used to have. All I did is remove the 76S cradle and screwed it onto the back of the factory 376C cradle. It works fine, but I'll end up buying a lockable mount. I leave it on the bike to go into a convenience store, but take it off when I'm away from the bike for longer than a few minutes.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:08 AM   #10
Tugrik
Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Cool, thanks for the info!

My 'dream' setup for this would be to have some kind of locking mount (like I've seen for the 26xx series) so it could be left on the bike during short stops, and a quick-connect extension cable mounted creatively so the XM antenna could be removed for use in a car without having tons of wire draping around the bike haphazardly. Then wire it into the ol' autocomm and it's all set.

How often is the NEXRAD info updated? Why is it hard to use to avoid storms?
Tugrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:00 AM   #11
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Have Fun Spend Money!

Quote:

My 'dream' setup for this would be to have some kind of locking mount (like I've seen for the 26xx series) so it could be left on the bike during short stops, and a quick-connect extension cable mounted creatively so the XM antenna could be removed for use in a car without having tons of wire draping around the bike haphazardly. Then wire it into the ol' autocomm and it's all set.

Last first. It's not hard to use to avoid storms. But you do have to understand its limitations. NEXRAD, to the best of my knowledge is updated every 5 minutes (as shown on the 376C). Animation is a result of storing multiple frames, where you can actually see the latest to earliest frames 'play out'. It is superb for avoiding 'heavy' weather areas. Also, the size of the NEXRAD 'pixel' is I beileve 1 square mile. Additionally, the strength of the echo is denoted by color: Light green thru purple, etc. Light green being a light radar return, most likely light precipitation. Where NEXRAD can let you down is where there are 'showers'. For example, a small black cloud in a sunny sky can drench you in Florida. NEXRAD typically won't catch that. Go to AccuWeather.com/accuwx.com and look at NEXRAD.

I haven't solved the quick disconnect yet. With regards to the unit, if you use a RAM mount, that's pretty quick as you just loosen the 'knob', pop it off the ball. The PITA factor is the power cord and mini-USB re-connect when you put it back on. Ingenuity and persistence will help you get it done, I am sure.

It's value is great, but diminished if on trips you stay in motels/hotels and bring a laptop. With WI-FI you of course can log onto any of the weather sites and plan your trip around bad storm areas. If your route requires that you hit the fringe of these areas, well, the 376C is invaluable.

Let's face it, and I speak for myself here, I have this because I like it and want it. Would I be able to live without it? Sure, but I could also live without HD TV, DirecTV, TivO, cell phone, and satellite phone. It's all 21st century junk that compiicates our lives when they don't work.

And I will admit that my R12GS supports my Walter Mitty-ish "The Long Way Round" attitude . . . hell, I went off road the other day and rode across my lawn!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:21 AM   #12
MWM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Updated every 5 minutes.

Because the rain storms are usually so large that it's not feasible to go all the way around them. Rain storms don't bother me anyway, so I guess I don't try to avoid as much as somebody else may. On a trip to Texas a few days ago I saw a heavy band moving across the interstate about 10 miles up the road. But, the band was narrow and the next band was probablly about 10 behind that one so I pulled over, got gas and drank an energy drink (it was very late at night). I then checked the GPS and the end of the first rain band was just over the interstate. I got back on the road and by the time I got to it the road was wet, but the first band had already passed and I was driving between the two bands. That was pretty cool.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #13
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM
You listen to PINK

Other than that, my newly aquired 376C is filling it's suited purpose well.

I wish it had a built in FM transmitter for XM. Makes for less cables when using it in the car.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:43 AM   #14
MWM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
You listen to PINK

Other than that, my newly aquired 376C is filling it's suited purpose well.

I wish it had a built in FM transmitter for XM. Makes for less cables when using it in the car.
I was waiting for somebody to comment on that. I thought about it after I took the picture. I had walked inside the house from my ride and came back outside and took the pictures. I was paying attention to the clarity of the picture and now what was on the screen. When I reviewd the picture and saw "Pink", I told myself somebody was going to rag me for this, but I was too lazy and tired to go back out and take another picture. .

I figure the built in transmitter will be on Garmin's 476C or 576C if/when they ever decide to make one. But, you're right about it being nice if there were less wires in the car!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:47 AM   #15
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

I figure the built in transmitter will be on Garmin's 476C or 576C if/when they ever decide to make one. But, you're right about it being nice if there were less wires in the car![/quote]

The cables are a royal PITA. I would even be pleased if you could get the smart antenna/XM Puck antenna with a short cable. (my understanding is do not under any circumstances cut the cable and put on any connectors . . . bumps in the signal, blah, blah) I have the 'shelf' BMR/RLM, whatever, and plenty of room for the puck but the damn cabling is a cluster!