Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 09:59 AM   #16
yard dog
cheap but not free

Oddometer: 225
Is the DR as electrically challenged as the KLR? I have never seen stats on how much current the DR has for powering accesories. Thanks! Ken
yard dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #17
rbrdown
I like cheese.

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer
Don't know about the DR650, but the KLR is 38 stock.
I think the DR is around 43. I couldn't feel any difference in power having ridden them side by side a bunch of times, probably due to the DR's lower gearing.
rbrdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #18
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Either bike will do the trip fine, obviously. But if you want to know what the best bike is, it's the DR. The DR has a better frame, better suspension components and better brake components. It's lighter, even after being kitted out for travel. The engine makes more power and is oil cooled, which means no coolant or water pump to deal with, but it won't overheat.
With tank, seat and a little windshield I like the comfort better than the stock KLR's, and it's actual performance is better on or off road.
More people use KLRs for this sort of thing because they've been selling KLRs almost 10 years longer than the DR (it's especially obvious when noticing the fork, brake discs and calipers), and because for some reason most people will not change a motorcycle to work for a different purpose. The KLR is "tour" oriented on the showroom floor, and the DR is not. Spending six or seven hundred more and turning a few bolts to kit out the DR will get you about two thousand dollars more bike than the KLR, but most people won't think this way.
For instance...
Once upon a time I suggested to an Aprilia Mille owner that his bike would make a neat streetfighter if he took the fairing off and put a superbike bar on it. He thought I was crazy, and thought that would ruin the bike. The next year Aprilia came out with the Tuono and he traded his Mille for one. And so, the KLR's continued popularity doesn't surprise me.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #19
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
The KLR has the numbers to show Snowrider is biased and centristically minded.

Just because the the DR is "Better" for Snowrider has nothing to do with anyone else. Neither break down, neither cost much, neither have high maintenance requirements. The KLR is physically larger than the DR and fits some riders much better than a DR ever could yet weighs only a little more. The design of the KLR has proven itself and has no betters in it's own market or people would be buying something else.

BTW Snowrider, how many DR are running around with 50k on the Odo?
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #20
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts

Just because the the DR is "Better" for Snowrider has nothing to do with anyone else. Neither break down, neither cost much, neither have high maintenance requirements. The KLR is physically larger than the DR and fits some riders much better than a DR ever could yet weighs only a little more. The design of the KLR has proven itself and has no betters in it's own market or people would be buying something else.

Side-by-side shootouts have shown that klrs are for fat old guys with no balls. I have pics to prove it.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #21
CuzinMike
Treedragger

Oddometer: 306
I refuse to bash any KLR, because I spent several years riding and enjoying one, but the two things most commonly listed as "pluses" on the KLR, the liquid cooling,and the fairing were two of the only things I disliked about the machine. The bike really needs two radiators IMO, and I personally prefer less buffeting than the KLR fairing would allow (Yes, I tried a bunch of different shields). Those were two of the reasons I decided to go for a DR for my next purchase. Yes, the KLR is reliable. Yes, it's proven, but for a lot of people, not the best machine to buy.

I believe the reason that you see a lot more high-mileage KLR's than DR's is due to how the two bikes are normally used. Most highway-cruising guys tend to prefer the KLR's more road-oriented nature, whereas most DR owners use their bikes primarily as true dual sport bikes, a type of riding where it is much more difficult to rack up significant mileage.

CuzinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #22
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Well by your line of reasoning Harleys are the best motorcycles ever made, George W. is the man to lead this country and the Backstreet Boys made great music, because they all have the numbers. Hey, maybe it's true--who am I to say?
But when I said the DR is better, I'm talking about performance and function. The KLR can't compete with the DR except in peoples' minds, and apparently that's enough.

In the sportbike world, no one would dream of saying that an FZR600 is a better sportbike than a CBR600F4, because the 600 class has racing to sort it out. There might be people who prefer the FZR600 for some reason, but they would never try to convince anyone that the F4 doesn't offer better quality and performance in every way. It might be less comfortable, but there are solutions to change that, and it's worth it because the newer bike is a better platform. This is because motorcycles offer what is probably the highest level of current and constant engineering of any machines available to consumers. They are developed rapidly, and newer designs spec newer components even if those components come from MX or road racing machines.

Dual sports aren't raced, or both the DR and KLR would probably be gone. However, in 2000 they would've still been racing the DR650 competitively and the KLR would've been retired. Not just because the DR is faster, but because every little component is about 9 years better, and makes the bike a better platform for... well, just about anything.
Some people just don't understand the benefits of stiffer and lighter brake calipers, a modern full floating rotor, stiffer and larger diameter fork tubes and legs with better valving, boxed in swingarm pivot for chassis rigidity where you need it, a better swingarm... hell, even the footpegs are better, significantly enough that KLR riders put DR footpegs on their bikes.
Newer isn't always better. Sometimes technology can be a pain in the ass, and a person in the middle of nowhere might be better off with something simple and low tech. In this rare instance of comparing the DR and KLR, we have a new and improved thing that's actually lower tech! At least it is where you want it to be. The engine has no water pump, coolant or extra seals, though through better engineering it is more powerful and just as reliable (aside from the doohicky--I'm trying to be kind).

Yes I'm biased. I'm biased by information. I was going to buy a KLR, then I did more homework and bought a DR instead. I like Kawasakis a lot, and I like KLRs. If I bought a new dual sport in 1995 it would've been a KLR, but it's not 1995 anymore, and I wouldn't spend new bike money on a 1987 motorcycle. I would (and do) highly recommend KLRs as used dual sports though, because I see more of them and for less money than used DRs.

Oh yeah, how many DRs are running around with 50k miles? What am I, a polling company? I wouldn't bother looking for bikes with 50k miles, because that's not a significant number to me. Anything Japanese can get to 50k miles. Just because it's a single I see no reason why it shouldn't make it to 100k miles before a rebuild if it's used somewhat frequently for touring. I could probably live with 80k miles before a rebuild, but I really am shooting for 100k. I'll be at 50k in two or three more years probably.

Quote:

snowrider screwed with this post 04-27-2006 at 06:13 PM
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #23
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs212
I have been trying to figure out which bike to buy. I have read great reviews on both the DR650 and the KLR650. I plan i ridding the bike from Los Angeles down through central and south america. Which bike would be best for this trip? and which bike would be easy to find parts for in south america? also am im crazy to even think about maybe a KLR250?? the only reason i am thinking about it is... and around $2000 for a used one which is half the price of a 650..... if the bike gets stolen which in south america its a good chance that it will..... i can always buy another one.... basically getting 2 bikes for the price of 1.... but will the KLR250 even make it all the way down there??? any info would be great!!!

Thanks Jimmy
Here's a trip where the riders took a KLR and a DR to S.America from the US..Good reading and pix...enjoy!

http://www.twowheelsgood.net/americas/americas.html

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #24
micro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Dr

I 100% agree with Snowrider on this one. Actually I agree so much that I bought a 2005 DR650 with 500 miles on it today. Cruised home 50 miles no problem and comfortable.

While I was at the dealership I looked at the KLR and DR side by side for a long time and Snowrider lists what is better on the DR so I won't bother. But, you can see it just by looking at the two.

Most people say that the KLR is a better road bike, but they only say that because it has a bigger tank, more comfortable seat and a bit more faring out of the box. These things, to me, make no difference and can easily be changed. This is, however, the main argument and it is very misleading.

Now when you look at the difference in engineering and mechanics just think about what you need to do to a KLR. Brakes and do-hicky come to mind. Plus when that is done, it still is not nearly as nice of a bike.

Now I actually thought that a KLR was for me. I really did. However I think about things for a long time and do alot of research before buying. I don't often spend this kind of money. After all my reading, riding and looking I chose the DR hands down.

Here is where I put in the "either bike will work" disclaimer.

I'm out to ride my DR.
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #25
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
......fat old guys with no balls. I have pics to prove it.
Now there's an odd hobby for ya.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:18 PM   #26
CuzinMike
Treedragger

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Now there's an odd hobby for ya.

CuzinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #27
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
XR650L
Air cooled and no oil cooler hanging off the side. Comfy seat. Reliable. Good bike.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #28
CJBDRdude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
Either bike will do the trip fine, obviously. But if you want to know what the best bike is, it's the DR. The DR has a better frame, better suspension components and better brake components. It's lighter, even after being kitted out for travel. The engine makes more power and is oil cooled, which means no coolant or water pump to deal with, but it won't overheat.
With tank, seat and a little windshield I like the comfort better than the stock KLR's, and it's actual performance is better on or off road.
More people use KLRs for this sort of thing because they've been selling KLRs almost 10 years longer than the DR (it's especially obvious when noticing the fork, brake discs and calipers), and because for some reason most people will not change a motorcycle to work for a different purpose. The KLR is "tour" oriented on the showroom floor, and the DR is not. Spending six or seven hundred more and turning a few bolts to kit out the DR will get you about two thousand dollars more bike than the KLR, but most people won't think this way.
For instance...
Once upon a time I suggested to an Aprilia Mille owner that his bike would make a neat streetfighter if he took the fairing off and put a superbike bar on it. He thought I was crazy, and thought that would ruin the bike. The next year Aprilia came out with the Tuono and he traded his Mille for one. And so, the KLR's continued popularity doesn't surprise me.
Snowrider is right. I have several friends that rode on one of the Alaska adventure tours last year. The hosting company provided KLRs as the motorcycles to ride. All had a good time. Most came home not liking KLRs and one friend even sold his KLR and bought a DR. Enough said!
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #29
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
But when I said the DR is better, I'm talking about performance and function. .
I posted as a semi-Troll to let you know you're making huge assumptions based on your personal preference. Your stating everyone who bought a KLR made a mistake because the DR is "Better". I dinged you on it to make a point that other people have different wants and needs than you do. I'm not arguing the DR components have been upgraded since the thing came out in the early '90's while the KLR components remain basically unchanged. It's as worthless an argument as saying the OHC engine is "better" than the pushrod motor. Function determines value.

The numbers of KLR's and the miles racked up prove that it works well and often. The Suzuki has never sold in the same catagory but you make good points about how much better it works for you because of it's newer components. It's great to know there is another bike out there that may work as well as the KLR for me but the one I have works really well for what I need and the "whole" is greater than the sum of it's parts. It does eveything I ask of it so what more could I ask for?

FINALLY....The whole discussion is moot because the DR and the KLR are both very long in tooth and headed out the door.

PEACE and ENJOY THE RIDE
Old 04-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #30
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
LOL this whole thread cracks me up, I am glad to see that we have so many people who know everything on this board. Buy whichever bike floats your boat and go have fun.
TomN is offline   Reply With Quote