Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
HomeMadeJoe OP
always wondering (mind)

Oddometer: 91
Brand new 950!

Hello Crushers,

Just traded my KLR650 for a brand new '05 950. Wow! there is just a LITTLE differance isn't there? I have a couple of questions for the group.

1.- The bike seems to run lean (surges and decelerating backfires). Do the carbs have mixture screws like the KLR carb? Should I touch them or wait?

2.- Would be grateful for any sites with aftermarket stuff to buy, I'm kinda thinking about a different windscreen.

Thanks for any info, Joe.
HomeMadeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
ephemeris
UYPL

Oddometer: 663
Welcome Joe,

Just a little difference huh!?

Bikes are lean on the bottom, richen (CCW) the mixture screws 1/4 to 1/2 turn - not as simple as the KLR though. Some of the popping is due to the air system for the stock catalytic converters.

If you put after-market cans on the bike lift the needles to 3rd from top. I richened mine before the cans came in and it ran fine - altitude 442'.

Don't know if I'd bother with the windscreen, none appear to be a dramatic improvement with maybe the exception of the 3 story tall Cee Baily.

KTM has a great selection of good quality and competitively priced accessories www.ktmusa.com go to the hard equipment section.

You'll find answers to 95% of your questions by searching here in Orange Crush.

Enjoy the new ride, be cautious of the additional ground speed compared to the KLR, especially on gravel and dirt.
ephemeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
c munch
Destination unknown

Oddometer: 476
Enjoy the bike.I made the same move 2 years ago.01 klr to a 04 950adv.Dam The 950 is awsome and the best part is very few people know what it is and dont know what to think of it.Well maybe that is not such a good thing,people are always asking anoying questions.Like"That is a ktm who Makes that kawasaki" Ride safe and enjoy.
c munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 3,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeMadeJoe
Hello Crushers,

2.- Would be grateful for any sites with aftermarket stuff to buy, I'm kinda thinking about a different windscreen.

Thanks for any info, Joe.
KTM Twins (Scuderia West in San Francisco ~ owned by an advrider) http://www.ktmtwins.com/

Congratz on the new bike.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
the surging is cured by raising the carb needles from slot #2 to 3, usually done @ first service. I got impatient and did it myself, not too difficult except all the hoses on a not yet canistertectomied bike are a pita
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:21 AM   #6
SGB
Learning Always

Oddometer: 259
New 950

Well Done - you will certainly find the "Fun Factor" increasing substantially from the KLR. The 950 respondes to throttle input in a most satisfying manner.....

Quote:
1.- The bike seems to run lean (surges and decelerating backfires). Do the carbs have mixture screws like the KLR carb? Should I touch them or wait?
Look at the SAS-Ectomy and removal of the EPC system. You get rid of a lot of plumbing and wires, which makes working on the bike nice and simple. And it stops the popping and it runs better. Search for the threads - lots of info here

Quote:
Mods I would recommend are as follows:

- 16/45 gearing
- Handle bar raisers - or if you want to really smile, do the steering damper + triple clamp thing...
- H&B Crash bars (only if you are going to fall off some time)
- TKC 80 tires - once the Scorpions are finished.

Enjoy the scooter!
www.countrytrax.co.za
SGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #7
rpilottx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Try Adventurers Workshop

Check out Adventurers Workshop for some unique 950 accessories. I really like their carbon fiber protection. It is much heavier then the KTM stuff.

Andrew recently quite his job so he can devote full time to Adventurers Workshop. There are some comments in vendors forum about this. I have ordered from him several times with excellent service. Besides he also rides a KTM 950.

I recently added a Scotts steering dampner to the bike. It makes a world of difference out here in New Mexico desert. Also look at the European headlight for a cheap and simple upgrade. I put a Renazco seat on my and love it but hearing good reports on KTM gel seat. Finally I alternate between the standard 17tooth front sprocket and a 16 depending on my planned riding for the week.

Have not heard much about different windscreens. For a cheap fix, try the Laminar Lip. I had one on my VStrom and presently have one on my KGT and they make a difference.

Again check out Adventurers Workshop.
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
Yeah, I know, I just have to be different.

I suggest you ride the damn thing for a few thousand miles before doing anything rash, like changing the grips.

Seriously, the bike changes a good bit in the first few thousand as it runs in, and you'll adapt to a lot of things that my irritate you at first.

The first thing you might want to attend to, on any bike really, is the ergonomics. There are some things you can measure, but a lot of it is just riding and seeing what hurts.

Enjoy.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote