ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
manumai OP
detto Pepito...

Oddometer: 123
Pissed Engine Recall...4 weeks to get it fixed...and still not back!

I brought my 950 05.5 into a dealer, not the one I bought it from, for the first 600mi service just about over 3 weeks ago.
the process should have taken about 3 days, as they told me on the phone before I brought it in, but after 2 days they called me saying that there was a factory recall on the engine and that the it would have been taken care as soon as a part would have come in from KTM.
of course the part was late, then they were missing some tools (first time they were doing the recall, they say and maybe even first time they were doung a service, I say!), then the tools were not available from KTM, so in the end I still haven't gotten my bike back and that won't happen till next week...maybe.
now, it is what it is, but what really frustrates me that KTM or the dealer I originally brought it from never sent me any warning letter or note that there was a recall on the machine (c'mon in this country they send you a recall letter even if you buy a pair of shoes that could have some defects ), so that I could have decided to bring it in let's say in January reather than APRIL, and that I'm still paying my rates on the financing like every month and $100/month for a parking garage .
of course my first feeling is that I should be compensated in some way either by KTM , the dealer I got it from originally or the place where my bike is still sitting.
has anybody gone through something like this or it's just me and I'm over reacting?
any thought or suggestion will be highly appreciated

hope to ride again SOON!!!!
Manuel
manumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
I doubt there was an official recall which are typically issued only for major safety issues. The repair is probably a technical service bulletin which says something like, "Next time the vehicle is in for service, replace this doohickey with a different one to reduce the risk of failure and make for a more satisfied customer."

In general, unless it's an official safety recall, mfgs are under no obligation to call you and tell you about it. Many TSBs are worded to say "Do it next service" while others are worded "Do it if the owner complains about such and such."

Now if it is an official recall, then you've got more leverage. But I doubt it is.

While it mighit have been more efficient to do the work while the bike was in for service, if the part/tools were not available, the dealer should have never started the repair. They should have (and should now) put the bike back together, return it to you, and take care of it as a separate item when the parts/tools are available.

You have every right to complain, but I doubt you're going to get a dime out of KTM.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
gbranham
Double eye

Oddometer: 999
Demand to see the bike and determine what they've done to it. Ask them to be specific as to what the "recall" is.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,311
Agreed with the rest, there is no official recall whatsoever, its a TSB from the factory, MarkJenn has it spot on.

That dealers is full of shit. Sort him out.

On that note, just be grateful your not a chap I know in this country. Has had his BMW in for over 2months, and still no dice.

This from the company that is "head and shoulders" above anything else in this country when it comes to bikes. Ja right.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Do you have a courtesy bike....if so,quit moaning.
If not,tell 'em ya need some transport or compensation of some sort.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK)
Do you have a courtesy bike....if so,quit moaning.
No Blue, don't mess about, tell him what you really think
Joe Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
courtesy bike????????? we are americans we are lucky if they use grease before we get bent over
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
Rock_93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
The same thing happened to me. I took it in for a service and after they had it all apart they told me about the oil jet. Then they ordered the parts and tools. It took weeks. Why don't they tell you about these things before they have your bike all apart and just said come back when all the parts and tools arrive.
Rock_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:01 AM   #9
Rock_93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Courtesy bike? Your joking right?
Rock_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
courtesy bike????????? we are americans we are lucky if they use grease before we get bent over
Funny man!!

BMK,Ya know me....i tell it like it is sometimes.

To the bloke who's bike it is,hope its sorted soon.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:17 AM   #11
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by manumai
of course my first feeling is that I should be compensated in some way either by KTM , the dealer I got it from originally or the place where my bike is still sitting.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #12
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by manumai
has anybody gone through something like this or it's just me and I'm over reacting?
Manuel
My perspective: that's nuttin! My KTM 950 A has been out of commission for 6 MONTHS!!! That is not a typo, read six months, since first week of November. Is scheduled back to me next week. The story on this is its own thread, just waiting for the final chapter to fall into place over the next couple of weeks.
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #13
northrider
Traveler

Oddometer: 313
Deja Vu

Well I hate to say it, but manumai's story sounds awfully familiar. I took my 950 in last year for it's 600 mile service, except that I found all the serivce bulletins (what it sounds like manumai's dealer really means) and took them in with me when I dropped the bike off. I asked my dealer to do the service and fix all the bulletins while they were at it. Six weeks later I got the bike back three days after I was to have started a trip up to Inuvik Canada. Most of the time at the dealer was spent waiting for KTM to ship parts and tools to do the service bulletins. Had to cut the trip short due to the parts delays.

The bike is in again for its 7500 km service. The dealer found some pitting on the cam shaft lobes. They are trying to get KTM to replace the cam shaft ( I came off warrenty a couple of months ago). Looks like KTM will cover the parts at this point. I just hope it doesn't take weeks to get it delivered. On the good side I can't ride for at least another couple of weeks while I recover from knee replacement surgery so its not like I would be out ripping the roads up anyway.

good luck manumai.
northrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #14
manumai OP
detto Pepito...

Oddometer: 123
finally!!!!

I've got her back tonight...4 weeks and 1 day...and over $500 less in my pocket
this was a painfull experience...I guess it's live and learn
manumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #15
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
950s.

Its a good thing you die hard KTM fans are so, well, die hard fans. Too bad the Japs don't build a better 950. KTM would go out of business.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote