Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #136
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
Man, I gotta tell ya, it really feels good to read these replies. I am so happy to see that others understand and feel what I hope to convey.

I'd like to add some trivia for those who are interested.

ON THE BIKE
I've said what I wanted to say re the bashplate (add your own expletive here).
Seen on the whole the 1200 was'nt the tool for the job. It did the job, make no mistake, but if I had a choice, and with hind sight, I would've taken a Dakar, or even a DRZ if it could carry the fuel. Weight is weight, you can't change that. Twice I found myself in the position where I just could not pick the bike up one more time. I really hate to admit this but on these occasions we swopped bikes so I can rest on the Dakar and recover some strength.
That aside, I have great respect for the 1200. Except for the sump, the damage suffered by the 1200 during this whole trip was the little plastic connector between the handlebar and the hand protector. That's it. I must have dropped the bike anywhere between 20 and 50 times. Granted, most were in sand but I even now recall at least 5 times in rocky or rough terrain. As long as you protect your tappet covers, this bike is near indestructible. I had no body work damage at all.
And the rims!... bow down in worship. They defy the laws of nature. They seemingly cannot be bent by anyone or anything. I hit rocks at a rate of easily 5 - 10 a day, that would've severely deformed any other rim. Three times I hit rocks so hard that the bars were ripped out of my hands. No damage, no dent, only scoring of the metal where the rocks came into direct contact. I am of the opinion that 1200 rims cannot be bent. They will either be totally destroyed or will last forever. I have yet to hear of a single 1200 rim that got dented. I should actually start a thread about this to see if these things can really be this good.
As to the Pratley Steel repair job, I did another 20 000km before replacing the casings. Like I said, the best invention since the crank case.

A NOTE TO BALDY
Baldy, I need to get this off my chest, thank you . Thank you for this site, thank you for running it properly. I have received so much sustenance reading ride reports when I wasn't in the position to be riding myself. And I know I'm not alone in this. I'm pretty sure you're going to heaven man, you must have built up serious credits with the good that this site is doing.

WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT
You'll be surprised to hear that I have read this ride report several times. Every time it transports me right back to Kaokoland. I totally relive the whole thing, smells, heat, everything.
Some day I'll be old and frail; no let's not pussyfoot around, some day I'll be old and weak. But, lying in my bed, unable to ride, unable even to take a poop without assistence, I will only have to look at these pictures and I will relive it as if it is happening all over again.
It's my pension. Every trip is another deposit in my memory pension. I'm gonna have a wonderful old age. This trip report will be part of it.

metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #137
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey
Man, I gotta tell ya, it really feels good to read these replies. I am so happy to see that others understand and feel what I hope to convey.

I'd like to add some trivia for those who are interested.

ON THE BIKE
I've said what I wanted to say re the bashplate (add your own expletive here).
Seen on the whole the 1200 was'nt the tool for the job. It did the job, make no mistake, but if I had a choice, and with hind sight, I would've taken a Dakar, or even a DRZ if it could carry the fuel. Weight is weight, you can't change that. Twice I found myself in the position where I just could not pick the bike up one more time. I really hate to admit this but on these occasions we swopped bikes so I can rest on the Dakar and recover some strength.
That aside, I have great respect for the 1200. Except for the sump, the damage suffered by the 1200 during this whole trip was the little plastic connector between the handlebar and the hand protector. That's it. I must have dropped the bike anywhere between 20 and 50 times. Granted, most were in sand but I even now recall at least 5 times in rocky or rough terrain. As long as you protect your tappet covers, this bike is near indestructible. I had no body work damage at all.
And the rims!... bow down in worship. They defy the laws of nature. They seemingly cannot be bent by anyone or anything. I hit rocks at a rate of easily 5 - 10 a day, that would've severely deformed any other rim. Three times I hit rocks so hard that the bars were ripped out of my hands. No damage, no dent, only scoring of the metal where the rocks came into direct contact. I am of the opinion that 1200 rims cannot be bent. They will either be totally destroyed or will last forever. I have yet to hear of a single 1200 rim that got dented. I should actually start a thread about this to see if these things can really be this good.
As to the Pratley Steel repair job, I did another 20 000km before replacing the casings. Like I said, the best invention since the crank case.

A NOTE TO BALDY
Baldy, I need to get this off my chest, thank you . Thank you for this site, thank you for running it properly. I have received so much sustenance reading ride reports when I wasn't in the position to be riding myself. And I know I'm not alone in this. I'm pretty sure you're going to heaven man, you must have built up serious credits with the good that this site is doing.

WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT
You'll be surprised to hear that I have read this ride report several times. Every time it transports me right back to Kaokoland. I totally relive the whole thing, smells, heat, everything.
Some day I'll be old and frail; no let's not pussyfoot around, some day I'll be old and weak. But, lying in my bed, unable to ride, unable even to take a poop without assistence, I will only have to look at these pictures and I will relive it as if it is happening all over again.
It's my pension. Every trip is another deposit in my memory pension. I'm gonna have a wonderful old age. This trip report will be part of it.

I caught this report 3 days ago for the first time.
Had to get packed and get outta town that early morning for a trip...but read this ride report straight through...and had to suck up being late.

Top Notch, really. The real deal here...

You must be very fit to handle that big pig over such continuos trials. I applaud you.

Mental, physical, possible, not possible, sane, not sane, prepardness, being inventive....good stuff.

Thanks for a very fine contribution to this site.

Yes, and killer pics!
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #138
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,831
"Every trip is another deposit in my memory pension. I'm gonna have a wonderful old age. This trip report will be part of it."

Totally agree. When I'm old I want to...

"Live on my memories, not my dreams."
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:29 PM   #139
dougrender
Bike Polo is not a Crime

Oddometer: 1,098
fricken_awesome_report!!
dougrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #140
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793
Superlatives don't do this report justice. thanks very much and respect to you and your companions.

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:35 AM   #141
BigBear42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:

and I'm thinking "fckng german sheisters"

Ahhh yes, funny how we can share the same thoughts

BigBear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:40 AM   #142
BigBear42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Thumb thank you

Absolutly fantastic report. Missed it the first time around. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
BigBear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #143
VHRAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
awesome
VHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #144
shelden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
awesome!!!

and i mean the webster definition of awesome.....not the American vernacular

05 1200GS
06 WR450F
shelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #145
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,768
Among the best reports I've read at ADVRider. Fantastic!!!
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #146
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

Oddometer: 346
finally registered just to to tell you that was a great story. thanks for that mate.
but you know, next time you should take along a videographer (wink, wink).

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

..`...><((((>`..
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:43 AM   #147
Tropical Bird
From the front line

Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb

Top job.

I recently had 2 weeks in Namibia on business - it is one of the world's best kept biking secrets....
Old 07-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #148
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
[

My vote for the front page
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #149
dedinpool
wannabe

Oddometer: 16
Thumb

So great! Thanks for sharing this amazing ride report!
dedinpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:41 PM   #150
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Just thought I'd bump this up for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Outstanding ride report!

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote