Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #226
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
Pegpacker blueprint right here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantarek
For the luck of better expression all I can say is woooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
For everything about this report, wow for the trip, wow for the idea, wow for your friendship, and big thanks for sharing all with us

btw this is great

more pls, more pls, more, more, more !!!! please

MJ, Pegpacker should give you some royalties :)

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #227
cgwt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
green card or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey
Man, I gotta tell ya, it really feels good to read these replies. I am so happy to see that others understand and feel what I hope to convey.

I'd like to add some trivia for those who are interested.

ON THE BIKE
I've said what I wanted to say re the bashplate (add your own expletive here).
Seen on the whole the 1200 was'nt the tool for the job. It did the job, make no mistake, but if I had a choice, and with hind sight, I would've taken a Dakar, or even a DRZ if it could carry the fuel. Weight is weight, you can't change that. Twice I found myself in the position where I just could not pick the bike up one more time. I really hate to admit this but on these occasions we swopped bikes so I can rest on the Dakar and recover some strength.
That aside, I have great respect for the 1200. Except for the sump, the damage suffered by the 1200 during this whole trip was the little plastic connector between the handlebar and the hand protector. That's it. I must have dropped the bike anywhere between 20 and 50 times. Granted, most were in sand but I even now recall at least 5 times in rocky or rough terrain. As long as you protect your tappet covers, this bike is near indestructible. I had no body work damage at all.
And the rims!... bow down in worship. They defy the laws of nature. They seemingly cannot be bent by anyone or anything. I hit rocks at a rate of easily 5 - 10 a day, that would've severely deformed any other rim. Three times I hit rocks so hard that the bars were ripped out of my hands. No damage, no dent, only scoring of the metal where the rocks came into direct contact. I am of the opinion that 1200 rims cannot be bent. They will either be totally destroyed or will last forever. I have yet to hear of a single 1200 rim that got dented. I should actually start a thread about this to see if these things can really be this good.
As to the Pratley Steel repair job, I did another 20 000km before replacing the casings. Like I said, the best invention since the crank case.

A NOTE TO BALDY
Baldy, I need to get this off my chest, thank you . Thank you for this site, thank you for running it properly. I have received so much sustenance reading ride reports when I wasn't in the position to be riding myself. And I know I'm not alone in this. I'm pretty sure you're going to heaven man, you must have built up serious credits with the good that this site is doing.

WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT
You'll be surprised to hear that I have read this ride report several times. Every time it transports me right back to Kaokoland. I totally relive the whole thing, smells, heat, everything.
Some day I'll be old and frail; no let's not pussyfoot around, some day I'll be old and weak. But, lying in my bed, unable to ride, unable even to take a poop without assistence, I will only have to look at these pictures and I will relive it as if it is happening all over again.
It's my pension. Every trip is another deposit in my memory pension. I'm gonna have a wonderful old age. This trip report will be part of it.

Thank you for posting all your reports and pix. Currently in texas and reading about SWA again and all the images, beckons of me the question, to wait till I get through this drawn out green card application (nearly 7 years in the making) or go back to what I really love.
I'm truly nailed to the laptop screen reading the RR's and thoroughly enjoying it.
Once you have experienced SWA it is just in you.
Boet, u'r screwing with my mind!! ....

Also, y'all shows the whole darn world that u don't need the latest and greatest most expensive equipment to go to where there is tranquility for the soul!!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #228
Mad Milo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thanks

Thank you for sharing your Adventure with us. After reading and viewing your pictures its all i've thought about all day.
Mad Milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:01 AM   #229
balloonman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Thanks for the memories

Yes I enjoyed your ride photos and report. The ride with your wife and peanut was even more fun. Thanks again for this African adventure. Tom
balloonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #230
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,946
having just read your report 'the wife, the ex and the kid' and your mention of this ride, I went searching and was rewarded with having just enjoyed another great RR

thanks mate

PS - loved your Angola report as well...cheers

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #231
Old Baldy
Sneaky Slow

Oddometer: 57
As a South African motorcyclist myself, living in the USA for 11 years now, and having never taken advantage of riding those stunning parts of Southern Africa, I feel both disheartened that I'll likely never see these parts of my Motherland like this, but also incredibly lucky and enheartened by being able to enjoy the area though your fantastic Ride Reports.

You guys clearly KNOW what life is about. What is important to experience. Too many of us don't. Thank you for taking the time and effort to put all of this together and reminding us about the things we should NOT delay. It's easy for us to say, "Man, you're so LUCKY!" when reading these adventures. Well....you guys clearly know how to make your own "luck." It takes some significant effort and commitment. Too many of us tend to shy away from this effort....because it's hard.

You guys prove that it's all about making the conscious decision to ACT...and to DO IT...and this is what leads to these types of wonderful memories.

Thank you, Metaljockey, Nardus and Hennie for these reports. They are so much more than just great pics and writing. They are flirting with the much deeper aspect of the "meaning of life..." and they make we question myself whether I have the balls to take similar action and just DO IT!

You guys ROCK. Respek, manne!

OB
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/197362.png
Old Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #232
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 627
This site is such a time waister in a good way of course
I found this thread while looking for S African reports and couldn't stop reading it until the last page including all the comments from everyone else.
I too lived in SA but left before doing any adventure riding, did have an Yamaha XT250 and had lots of fun running around the Kempton Park area, east of Johannesburg
Now I'm into adventure riding and the bug is into me, will be stronger next year after I get my Super Tenere

But this line is the best and will stay with me, I'm also trying to add to my pension

It's my pension. Every trip is another deposit in my memory pension. I'm gonna have a wonderful old age. This trip report will be part of it.

Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #233
Albedo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Excellent, funny

I really enjoyed reading all that. As we could say in french " Enorme, c'est du lourd, génial"
Albedo is the fraction of the total light striking a surface that gets reflected from that surface. An object that has a high albedo (near 1) is very bright; an object that has a low albedo (near 0) is dark. The Earth's albedo is about 0.37. The Moon's is about 0.12. Mine is 1 !!

hm_sci()
Albedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #234
roadcapDen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Had to read this to get the "goat" meaning from the Angola RR, beaut' & F'n A!

"Nice beaver",,,"Thanks, I just had it stuffed"

Some of my scoots have (starter) motors but all are enginecycles...
roadcapDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #235
BDG
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post
Excellent This place looks awesome.
Stayed there in 2008 on a trip and remember having lots of ice cold beer in that bar, great place and great trip.

Loving reading the ride report on a crappy cold night in England with a hangover from last nights works Christmas party. Wanna go back to Namibia, great place

I'm a very efficient idiot.
BDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #236
Sandino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
uHuuuuuuu

My mate, just amazing post. Thanks and cheers
Sandino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #237
Kalahari Surfer
n00b

Oddometer: 4
The bug has well and truly bitten! And we're not talking tsetse fly...

Thanks Metal Jockey for this most insightful and enjoyable read. This has marked down on the todo list
Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #238
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Thumb Makes my back hurt just reading it.

Rock on, MJ. Outstanding journey and even better write-up. You really put the adventure in adventure touring.

I've never put it into words, but this quote explains why I still ride with the same guys I did when I was a teenager (and we're all 50+), "Once you know how someone is put together, your expectations of him adapt thereto, and you cannot be disappointed as long as he acts in character." Plus...we all like to drink

Thank you for sharing your part of the world and your thoughts on life.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote