Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #61
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
It has been spectacular to see your part of the world.
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #62
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
We leave Camp Syncro and travel back into the fluss. The cool early morning air has the sand packed nice and tight. I'm wondering for the umpteenth time whether this trip can possibly get any better.

Our first destination for the day is Rooidrom (red drum). Marked on all detailed maps for decades, it is still just that: a red 44gal drum. I'm sure many people have come here before expecting a town.... must have been a shock.

Our next stop is Orupembe. This is it.

We travel through the most desolate areas imaginable, hour after hour and not a single person, goat, cow or any sign that the area is inhabited.

I again get the feeling that we are exploring another planet.

When we reach the Hoarusib river, we stop for coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker, preferring beer or water, and I just don't get why one would want to drink something hot in the middle of a sweltering desert day.

In these dry areas life converges on the rivers, we immediately see elephant spoor as we hit the dreaded dry riverbed again. It also blows my mind when I see that people are scratching a living from this barren earth. Look closely, someone saw fit to settle here.

And we see some giraffe. They are a bit wary and I'm not surprised, not much place to hide out here.

These on the other hand are not wary at all.

These are desert elephant. They are remarkable in that they are the only elephant who chooses to stay in the desert. They also behave uniquely in that they will never uproot a tree. They only pick branches off and will not waste any part that they can eat. Some cognative and deductive brain activity?

We camp by the river for the night, tomorrow is my birthday.

metaljockey screwed with this post 07-01-2006 at 11:05 PM
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #63
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,835
Bloody fantastic ! ! This type of report is why I got onto this site in the first place !

Keep it coming, brilliant !
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #64
strommer
Ride for balance

Oddometer: 374
Fantastic report, great pictures. Thanks.
strommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #65
GSdreamer
Mtn. Man

Oddometer: 141
This is the best ride report yet!!! WOW
GSdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:32 PM   #66
BMad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Sigh!!

This is undoubtebly the best post ever!http://www.advrider.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif

I can hear my adventure groaning from my desk! I thought that the southern parts of Namibia were awesome, look what i am missing out on?

So when are you doing this trip again?? I wanna come along too!
BMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #67
NordicRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Wow, amazing...

I grew up in South Africa, and heard all the stories about how beautiful it is up north. I sort of shrugged the stories off and thought "Yeah, one day. Maybe." Well, now for the first time I get to SEE what the stories where about, and with your telling of the story I feel this is as close to being there as it gets! And, hey, you gotta know, it IS beautiful up north....

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to take us along. Know also that every time you stop and take your camera out, people all over the world are waiting for your every picture!

1991 Honda XL600V TransAlp - "all year - all road"

NordicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #68
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Hard(*) for us, non english mother tongue speakers, to see how good pictures are best subtitled with a good report.
This is the second report I read on this site which keep me stuck on my screen.
Gents, we've got a talent here, a true narrator.

bow to you, sir.

/thierry.

(*) hard because I know I won't be able to do it ! ;)
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #69
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Talking Love the smiley face on the 650...

Pretty much says it all. Great pics, great report, thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #70
dieter von hexhead
I made a doodie...

Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey

just plain amazing....

I'd have folded like a 50 cent hanky" - boxermoose
dieter von hexhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #71
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Oddometer: 2,081
I hate Advrider. Im sick and tired of posting that this is the best ride report ever.

This is the best ride report ever.

shit, fabulous!

bob
Old 05-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #72
MooseKiller
Tripod

Oddometer: 4,604

Stunningly jaw dropping report! Absolutely amazing! Exceptional! Wonderful narration and beautiful pictures! Keep up the great work! Thank you for taking us along!

WOW!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #73
norcal1
Cameron Park, CA.

Oddometer: 216
Awsome!!!!

This trip report is AWSOME!!! Makes it very difficult to sit in this office and work...
norcal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #74
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
Here follows a little narative , feel free to skip on the next pic post.

On Good Friends

When I started this trip I had my reservations. The other two had been friends for more than 10 years. They had shared a year of solitude on an antarctic island, they had stayed friends through a new wife each and four new children, through severe differances in political and religious forays, and most importantly they were riding buddies that had shared some hard core trips that even included some jail time in foreign countries.

What were the chances that I would be allowed to fit in, to find a place and be able to enjoy all the experiences to the full? When I say I had my reservations it may be an understatement. I did not expect to be accepted in the partnership or brotherhood, call it what you will.

What I did intend to do is to take advantage of the opportunity to do Kaokoland by bike. I had once been there before and I had no misconceptions as to how physically demanding the trip would be. I was prepared to also take on whatever mental demands would be made of me. Growing up in Africa fortunately does equip you with some measure of fighting mentality. Wow, this sounds a bit self indulgent. What I'm trying to say is; I was willing and expecting to deal with both physical adversity and a possible acrimonious exclusionist social situation.

The very first incident , relating to interpersonal relationships and behaviour,
that stands out in my mind, happenend in the bus on that initial 24hr trip from South Africa to Namibia.

We are in high spirits, I've got an MP3 playing on the radio and the volume is turned way to the top with the sub booming boomingly. Hennie is driving, I am sitting on the back seat with head bobbing in time with Nardus on the front passenger seat. The music is so loud that we have to open some of the windows. I see Hennie fiddling in his pocket and watch incredulously as he takes out a set of earplugs and proceeds to fit them in his ears.

That is a level of tolerance I have never come across before. It impressed the shit out of me.

It was really only setting the tone of things to come. The rest of the trip was a model of good neighbourliness. We got along like none of us could ever have forseen. There was absolutely no butting of heads. None, not once, not an iota,
nothing, fuckall, zilch, not even close. All decisions were more or less taken by consensus. It was like every one of us had the trip as priority and nothing else.

It is now two years later and we have done many trips and rides together since. I now know that the importance of the trip was not the the only reason that things went so well. There is more to it and I think it's name is tolerance.
We ride enduros together and there is nothing that denudes you more than being pushed past your limits of endurance. It makes you humble. Often. Also, on our dual sport trips we get to share a myriad of good (what a sad excuse for a word) experiences. Lastly the use of happy substances on these longer trips encourages a lot of honest discussion. Accordingly we have gotten to know each other pretty well. Once you know how someone is put together, your expectations of him adapts thereto, and you can not be dissapointed as long as he acts in character.
And maybe that is what breeds tolerance, and tolerance is the one thing that will allow you to be an inherently content person.

Dammit, this is getting way too deep.
I'm sure I' going to regret posting this tomorrow. But then, that's tomorrow.

metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:51 PM   #75
Sanguine
Poseur

Oddometer: 100
What a truly brilliant ride report! Well done - and if your naratives are going to be as insightful and pure as that, please share more!
Sanguine is offline   Reply With Quote