Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #76
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,833
Metaljockey. Don't ever regret your last post. It was very insightful and honest.

I too have been in a few situations of extreme stress with people that were only of only recent acquaintance. Two in particular stand out, kayak crossings to New Guinea from mainland Australia and across the Bass Strait to Tasmania from the mainland.

Understanding how the other guys tick, their backgrounds, life experiences, etc goes a long way towards building a harmonious relationship while travelling, especially in extreme enviroments.

For me the key word you mentioned was tolerance.

I always figure that if we're out here together, then we have one thing in common already, a desire to be in this particular enviroment, for whatever reason ...and we do have difference reasons sometimes.

That's my start point, and then the rest just flows, with tolerance.

Great report, hope to see more from you.

Andrew Linton.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:20 PM   #77
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,174
What a fantastic adventure. I enormously enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #78
MarkN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,958
What can I say that hasn't already been said by others?

Just wanted to say that this report has had me glued to my PC for ages and I've really enjoyed reading it. Thank you for taking the time to write it and share it with us. The photo's make it come to life. FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC!:cl ap:cl ap
Old 05-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #79
lefteris
fat daddy

Oddometer: 282
hey friend,

Thanks for the fantastic report. Reports like that is the reason of existence of this forum. I've done a couple of reports myself and I know it needs time and energy to do it.
So, thanks again and we are waiting for more!

Lefteris

ps. I'm curious how the gs survived all these crashes and drops...
lefteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 AM   #80
Banshee
hi

Oddometer: 6,123
absolutely amazing. you are capturing this adventure beautifully. thanks so much for posting.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:21 AM   #81
DjfLoYd
Wannabe Dirt Ninja

Oddometer: 13
Simply awesome. No more, no less.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!'

~Hunter S. Thompson
DjfLoYd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #82
Oly
Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey
We got along like none of us could ever have forseen. There was absolutely no butting of heads. None, not once, not an iota,
You cannot over emphasize the importance of trust and cooperation from riding partners on an adventure of this magnitude. Well said and good choice of mates. Great report, thanks.
Oly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:54 AM   #83
jantarek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
For the luck of better expression all I can say is woooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
For everything about this report, wow for the trip, wow for the idea, wow for your friendship, and big thanks for sharing all with us

btw this is great

more pls, more pls, more, more, more !!!! please
My SpotWala

jantarek screwed with this post 05-05-2006 at 12:09 PM
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #84
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,560
Damn. There aren't adjectives enough to describe how awesome your report is. Keep it coming.

JC

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #85
Polovision
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Very nice write up and even better pictures, great job!
Polovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #86
airone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Only that and those
Old 05-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #87
funacide
KTM 950 ADV s

Oddometer: 46
Wow the report and the pics get better and better.....

Thanks for sharing, I can't wait for the rest!!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #88
RobZim
No, I'm not me.

Oddometer: 3,161
On one hand I feel like I'm being redundant when I say... FANTASTIC!... On the other hand, I feel compelled to share my joy. This report is what this site is about. I must visit Nambia and Morocco!
RobZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #89
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279
The next morning we continue down the river.

With the surface water we come across lots of game, springbok, oryx, elephant etc.
As a special treat for my birthday we stop to enjoy a sixpack.

Nardus enjoying the early morning sun.

A split second after this pic Nardus accelerates and I get a litre of river water chucked into my helmet. Bastard.

We keep riding until sundown. We follow several riverbeds and sandwashes. The sand also turns from white river sand into a dark rocky shale type. Once again I find the going challenging.

One memorable off has me rocketing out off control out the riverbed up the rocky slope with the throttle open hoping to come back down in a graceful arc. Deep washaways in the rocks puts a rather sudden stop to this, chucking me over the handlebars. I end up in front of the bike but luckily still holding on to a grip. That means no seperation and therefor it doesn't count as a fall. The Hepco & Becker crashbar get slammed back into the cylinder however and splinters the plastic protector on it. No damage to the head or tappet covers though and I am thankfull for having spent the money on the H&Bs.

For some reason I only have 2 pictures of the whole day.
Here they are.

We camp again in a riverbed. Elephant sign everywhere. Like I said, I'm not the bravest when it comes to wild elephant. I sleep that night exactly where I'm sitting, in between the fire, two logs and a bush. I know elephant are quite sensitive about what they step on.

Notice how blue and swollen my feet are. The bruising on my shins from a week of cylinder head bashing seems to be migrating southwards. Lesson learned, next time I'll bring kneeguards.

Day 10 starts in the early morning hours with adrenalin rushing through my body like a cold shiver. An elephant is breaking bush not 30m away from us. The fire is out and I can see him clearly in the moonlight. He's frikken huge. After much whispered shouting I get Nardus and Hennie to share in my fear. They leopard crawl closer and we get the fire going again as quietly as possible.

The next morning at sunrise we find that we panicked well after the fact. By the time I woke, the elephant had already inspected us up close. We find his tracks right by the bikes, more or less by the dark spot behind the Dakars.

The funny thing is, we catch up with him that morning in the riverbed where he is still peacefully going about his business, and it turns out it is a young bull. About half size. Not big at all. The moonlight must've had an optical illusion effect .

The morning is spent playing in the sand again.

There are lots of wildlife and with the still morning air it's just excellent riding.

And excellent lighting.

I have one almost serious off when I sideswipe a rockface with the backwheel and get spun around rather violently. No damage though.

Powder dust. Tricky because you ride through it like water. Sometimes you'll find that rocks had been put down below to get stuck vehicles extricated. Because it's below the surface you don't see these. Best thing to do is to keep up a good rate of knots.

We get to Sesfontein around midday and chilled drinks makes the place feel like paradise.

About 120km on we we turn west and head into Damaraland. This region is almost devoid of human life. Beauty abounds though.

We start off with a rocky track. To date still the worst piece of riding I had ever done on the 1200.
The rocks are all cube shaped and vary in size from baseball to basketball. No subsurface, only loose rocks. Absolutely impossible to get any momentum going. So it is feet out, bounce, slip, front wheel sideways roll, bounce, hit, slip, back wheel spin out.. fuck, facing the wrong way again. I believe it was only about 7km. (It's always 7km)
When we get to the end of this lot and we can get some traction again we find that Nardus is missing.
Could be he'd broken an ankle or is caught under the bike somewhere with his leg being turned to charcoal by the exhaust.
We decide to wait. What the hell, he does have his leatherman. That's how bad that piece of track was.

After about an hour Hennie folds and decide to go back. We agree that if he doesn't return, I should sleep over at the spot. He'd see to it that either he or someone else will return the next day. I did'nt even get up. I was very comfortable.

Hennie finds Nardus and this is the problem.

Hennie carried all the tyre fixing tools and Nardus could do nought but wait. They make it back to where I'm still lying and we camp right there.

It was another good day.
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #90
Mike M
On the Border

Oddometer: 1,472
What an outstanding report.

Thanks!