Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #91
metaljockey OP
Dodgy SOB

Oddometer: 279

Day 11
All days should start like this.

We break camp with the prospect of another spectacular day's riding.

And Namibia doesn't disappoint. You can just point the camere anywhere and get pics like this.

We had by now run out of all the adjectves we collectively knew. It's frustrating not to be able to express your absolute wonder at the beauty that you are travelling through.

We come to a windpomp (sorry, don't know the english word).
Around here you never pass on an opportunity to top up.

No wind? No problem, manpower.

Solitude takes on a new meaning out here.

When you stop and shut down the bike the quiet presses on your eardrums.

One has a lot of time to think out here. It's good to be able to get some clarity and to look at yourself with some measure of objectivity.

You find that a lot of stuff is surprisingly uncomplicated.

You find that surprisingly little of what you thought was important, really is.

You find that it is the simple things that have value.

You find that the plant life here have known the value of simplicity for quite some time.

Dakar promo shot.

Of course we need to do the daily riverbed.

We cross vast hot rocky plains.
The year before a dutch couple on holiday ran out of fuel here. By the time they were found in their 4wd truck a week or two later the husband had already died and the wife was saved just in time.
I don't even want to think of the mental aftermath of having your partner die of thirst and heat on the seat next to you over several days.

Remember this borehole?

It was the closest water to the spot where they were stranded. About 40km as the crow flies. A reasonably fit man making good time at night could have made it here on foot. If he knew where to go.

We stopped at the place where they were found. It was as beautifull as any of the pictures you see here.

There is nothing more rewarding than travelling in these remote wilderness areas. It requires however that you take it seriously. Mistakes often have serious consequences.

Sorry, don't wanna preach.
Here's more pictures. Like I said, we ran out of adjectives. Next time I'm taking a dictionary.

Damn, that deserves being posted again.

That captures the essence of Namibia, a country that will leave no-one untouched. A place I love.

I just had to take a picture of this anthole. The little dusty path leads to one solitary tuft of grass, the only one for hundreds of metres around.

Through the heat haze we see the Ugab valley come into view.

As we come closer the vegetation returns.

Then.. in the background Brandberg arises. That's where we camped the first night. The trip is drawing to a close.

And yes we had to get through that red sand. No pictures, just lots of picking up of bikes and swearing ensued. When we eventually drop into the Ugab river again Hennie's forkseals had just about had enough.

The Ugab river takes us up to an excellent camp site. White Lady I think it is called. Again an elephant infested place but one feels better having more people around.

The next day we take the fast route to Usakos. Three happy bikes snuggle in for the return trip.

Fluit fluit, my storie is uit.
metaljockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #92
KevinC
Looking for the hoard

Oddometer: 2,026
There aren't enough superlatives in the Oxford English Dictionary to do justice to this report.

Thank you for showing us there's a whole other world out there.
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #93
Ozieadventure
BEEAAMMEERR

Oddometer: 55
Good report, nice pics
Ozieadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:56 AM   #94
Wrathchild
Ogri Rules!

Oddometer: 161
Thumb Can we have more, please?

Metaljockey,

I must say again this is the kind of a write-up that keeps me coming back to this site time after time, after time, after. . . The pictures, while great, I am sure do not do the justice to the countryside. As for skipping the narratives to the next post: not a fucking chance in hell. The friendship you spoke of is a rare thing and one should count him/her self lucky to experience it. As you said, this sort of thing can be only forged by sharing all the good and the bad that the life dishes out. Being on the road together only strengthens the bond and makes you want to go further and push harder than you ever would on your own, simply because you know that when shit hits the fan they’ll put their ass in the sling to cover yours. I count myself lucky. While I do enjoy long range solo patrols for cold beer and hot women, when solitude allows me to think about all kinds of shit and ponder the meaning of life, I know a few individuals that I wouldn’t hesitate to go to end of the world with if the opportunity would present itself (right duct tape boy?). I had a taste of the desert in the American south-west and got hooked on it. Growing I spend time on the Baltic coast and hiking over parts of the Carpathian Mountains, but always wanted to do Africa on the motorbike (even before I was old enough to ride), so I can’t get enough of the scenery in your photos. By all means post more, as I’m willing to bet vital parts of my anatomy that others can’t wait for more as well. Some ride reports have great pix, some have great write-ups, some touch the subject on much deeper level; yours nails it all.

Thanx for taking us along for this ride.

L8ER,
Old 05-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #95
X Banana Boy
stuck in the office

Oddometer: 1,881
Best report I have read. You made me so homesick i almost cried. Fanstastic man. Those are some hellava memories. Thanks boet.
X Banana Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #96
PapaBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Metaljockey, all I can say is Thank You very much.
The pictures and ride report and your general thoughts were
great. Thanks again.

Ride Safe
PapaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #97
Isle Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Fantastic report man! One of the best I've read, and being a consumate lurker I have read a few...

Realistically, vicariously riding beautiful regions like this through trip reports like your's is as close as I'm ever going to get to exploring Namibia. Thanks for taking the time and effort to bring me along.

Well done!

Isle Rider screwed with this post 05-06-2006 at 03:42 PM
Isle Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #98
vanveen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
awesome, sorry the trip is over, you are some adventerous dudes, imagine wild elephants wow, thank you
vanveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #99
funacide
KTM 950 ADV s

Oddometer: 46
MetalJockey

To just say thanks for the report seems to be very, very inadequate. What a gr8 trip report, thoughts on the area and the pics are simply spectacular. Thanks again for sharing................

Old 05-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #100
iuekwee
Let's be friends.

Oddometer: 356
That looks like a great trip! Simple ride, Simple landscapes, simple plants (that made me snort), that's what I want to see. It sure doesn't seem like we get much of a break from civilization or roads nowadays. I hope someday I'll get a chance to make such a venture. Keep up the awesome material!
iuekwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:13 AM   #101
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,582
Thank you.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #102
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Wow! what a trip. Great photos and report. Thank you!
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #103
jantarek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
[quote=Sledpilot], I know a few individuals that I wouldn’t hesitate to go to end of the world with if the opportunity would present itself (right duct tape boy?).

duct tape boy? DUCT TAPE BOY ?!! what ta ??? o boy
I love duct tape so ok let it be hehe, but you are right I would go anywhere and anytime, just point the way or better yet let the road find it self.

like i said before this report as well as almost anyother one in here just makes me want to pack up, leave the crap behind and hit the open road

thanks again Metaljockey you rock
My SpotWala
jantarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #104
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Superlative - photos and narrative!

Thank you, so much!

Paul
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote