User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
CS(UK) OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question Alternator fail !!!!!!

Has anybody had any problems with the charging system on 04 950. After the winter months in the garage, I tried starting the beast and no go! Not even a light. Checked battery to find it was completly dead. Tried re charging it but it would not recover.
Fitted new battery and all appeared OK. Rode for about an hour , parked up for the day. Went to go home after work and again Dead. Jump started bike and checked charge with following results: 14 volts at Idle, dropping to 10 volts when reved up to about 4/5000rpm. Speedo and rev counter showing eratic indications up to 150mph.( most I've ever seen).
Any idea's for any ways to check this problem greatfully recieved.

Please help.
CS(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
stator, rectifier, regulator

Do a search for the above. There is a Tech Service Bulletin w/r to screw(s) coming loose & shorting ou the stator.

Good Luck
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
The Tech Bulletin for the rotor bolts is at:
http://johnandbecci.info/Tech%20Bull...on%20Rotor.pdf
How many miles do you have on your bike?
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Also check page 7-2 of the repair manual for info on how to test the charging system.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Bollox to that....get it in the shop on the warranty....ya in UK so should be ok.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:07 AM   #6
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK)
Bollox to that....get it in the shop on the warranty....ya in UK so should be ok.
i second that

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
CS(UK) OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thanks everybody. I took a look at the service bullitin and noticed it had not been done on my bike.I removed the cover and carried out the SB. However there were no loose bolts. I then removed and cleaned all connections and also removed and cleaned all earth points that I could find. Nothing appeared to be particularly dirty or corroded. Re fitted the battery and bike started fine and checked voltage whilst running and now it increases as normal. 13 on idle up to 14 at revs.
Took bike out for a much awaited afternoon ride and all looks fine now. I will check voltage again in the morning to see if problem has now been fixed.
I will be back for more ideas if flat battery in morning!!!!

Thanks again.
CS(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote