User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
RTR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
DIY Muffler Guard

Ok I tried to find some info on what it would take to make one but seem to only find full rack systems that are way to expensive for me. I have a beat up set of soft bags and want to move them back some to the rear of the bike. At present they sit almost fully forward and almost rest on my calves. I did this so they would not melt. But now I want more room and figured a simple piece of sheet mettle bent into the right shape will work perfectly. I also want to add some heat resistant material to the back side to really prevent heat from convecting through the mettle to my bags. Anyone out there have an idea of what the safe distance from the muffler to the heat shield should be and could I just use a oven mitt as the heat resistant material maybe with some muffler tape? Yeah way getto and totally hacked just yet but if I get it right I will remake the shield and smooth out all the bumps and make sweet as pie.

"The point is to just pick up that light saber and chop the crap out of stuff!
RTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,619
just grab a chunk of flashing or tin roofing and 'fold' it in half. Trim it to shape and bolt through one side to your plastic with the 'fold' pointed up. Its' double layer should keep it off the pipe and from melting your plastic.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
kodiakfrank
Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer: 9,559
Heat shield to protect soft bags made from .030 aluminum with 1/4" stand off from pipe.

After hand forming the aluminum sheet in to a half circle, I made 1/4 inch spacers from aluminum tubing. The shiels is attached with bolts that go into the muffler and are secured with ALL METALIC SELF LOCKING NUTS. If you do this, DO NOT USE NYLOC NUTS; they will melt and possibly come lose.

kodiakfrank screwed with this post 04-07-2008 at 07:38 PM
kodiakfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Stock KLR exhaust? I bought a pair of longer bolts and 1" metal spacers and pushed the stock heat shield out. That put it about even with the plastics. That cost me a dollar with tax because I upgraded to stainless bolts.

Then I bought peel and stick heatshield for a few bucks and mounted that to the back of the saddlebag for extra insurance.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
RTR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
Stock KLR exhaust? I bought a pair of longer bolts and 1" metal spacers and pushed the stock heat shield out. That put it about even with the plastics. That cost me a dollar with tax because I upgraded to stainless bolts.

Then I bought peel and stick heatshield for a few bucks and mounted that to the back of the saddlebag for extra insurance.
Yes stcok KLR exhaust. Where did you get the peel and stick heat shield, been looking for ever to find the stuff Kawi puts on the right side rear plastic. Was thinking of doing the extnsion of the existing heat shield in conjunction with what Kodiakfrank did.

"The point is to just pick up that light saber and chop the crap out of stuff!
RTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
You can get the little pieces at any MX shop.

I got a BIG piece from jegs or summit racing. It was about $20 for a piece big enough to cover an entire pannier.

I have also made my own for plastic panels using 3M spray adhesive, scraps of fiberglass cloth, and heavy duty tinfoil (shiny side out ) or alum roof flashing.

Whatever you do, seal around the edges with hi-temp RTV and it will last a LOT longer as the fiberglass won't wick water.