User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
Window_licker OP
n0b

Oddometer: 233
The 990 and wheel sizes

Picking up my 990 next wednesday. Ordered a set of 19" /17" rims to replace the standards as Im using it for on road touring only.
Got an e-mail form my dealer saying KTM says no because of issues with the ABS and changing wheels. . My dealer doesn't really know why, thinking it could be a technical issue or an anti-litigation issue. I can live with the litigation line as I know how careful they have to be. Plenty of you 950 owners have swopped the wheels out with no problem, but if its a technical issue with the ABS then I guess this could put the block on my plan.

What do you guys think, or preferably know
Window_licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:16 AM   #2
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 1,882
i could be wrong but ABS computer will always think you wheel is a 21"Witch will make the ABS usless therfore the NO from KTM ,Unless there is a way to reprogram the computer?????,

I belive the ABS work on wheel size and speed, bla, bla, bla

It may be worth checking out to see if the ABS incoder is interchangable from
the 950SM ???? not sure but you should ask questions are free .
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Window_licker OP
n0b

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the 950 SM doesn't have ABS so looks like I might be putting Bt45's on it in the hope of more grip
Old 05-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Window_licker OP
n0b

Woody

I have seen a pic of Richards bike before, looks very nice. Unfortunately I just got this from KTM today:

as representatives of the manufacturer we cannot endorse any changes from the standard homologated model as offered for sale through our agents with the exception of recommended power parts as tested and recommended through our accessories division.
With regard to your particular model the 990 Adventure with ABS please remember that the ABS has been designed and tested with bikes fitted with OE tyres and brakes, including brake pads and we cannot support any deviation from this on the grounds of both safety and stability.
Ultimately it is your decision on whether or not you change the specification on your KTM but please be aware that we will not be able to support you should any issues arise as a result of any changes made by yourself or on your direction.

Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, and still doesnt answer if the ABS system needs a 21" front to work.....

Window_licker screwed with this post 05-02-2006 at 12:05 PM
Old 05-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,340
Must say that looks exactly the response you would expect from any manufacturer. The cannot / will not condone any changes to homologated spec for safety / legal reasons.

Makes absolute sense from their point of view, but gives you no information to work with whatsoever. Simple fact is, if they've not tested it, and the powers that be have not put their official stamp on it, TUV, E-Mark whatever, then they will not even un-officially say it is possible.

Having been involved with the sale and importation of modified (new) vehicles in the past, I know this is a minefield for the manufacturers.
Joe Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Window_licker OP
n0b

bmk

Yep, your right. I did ask though whether it was due to the ABS needing a particular wheelsize but it wasn't answered.

I've come up with a plan. As my 950Sm is going and Ive just sold a 1200Gs I have enough money left over for a 64O prestige, that will do nicely for trips out on my own ( I think)

Im on monomaniacs forum as Lloyd, guess every KTM owner's on every KTM forum
Old 05-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_licker
Im on monomaniacs forum as Lloyd,
Sussed that
Old 05-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
Joe Bar
Middle England

Quote:
Im on monomaniacs forum as Lloyd,
Sussed that

Very interested in the 19 / 17 combo for my 950 though.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
bmk

Yep, your right. I did ask though whether it was due to the ABS needing a particular wheelsize but it wasn't answered.

I've come up with a plan. As my 950Sm is going and Ive just sold a 1200Gs I have enough money left over for a 64O prestige, that will do nicely for trips out on my own ( I think)
I would have to say that I can't imagine the wheel size affecting the ABS - theoretically the unit has a sender that pulses or releases the brake based on wheel speed change. The difference between the 21 and the 19 is nominal really. Here is your chance to make a great contribution to the board and KTM owners everywhere by taking the bull by the horns and getting a set of wheels made and trying it out. If it works and you don't notice any difference than you've empirically answered a question and cut through all the internet speculation and manufacturers lawyer speak. If it doesn't and you find the ABS give an error or doesn't work as well than you've solved a mystery for everyone. Help avoid the crime of internet speculation - do it for the children...

It's not like there won't be about 1000 people that want to buy your wheels if they don't work.

Give it a go - the sizes are perfect and if KTM had never considered it then the speedo wouldn't have an option for the 19 wheel size. If you ask them they'll also tell you to not take off the safety stickers and the emissions crap and always ride sitting up straight with both hands on the controls... take a chance here.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,269
I too doubt the wheel size could impact the ABS, as wheel speed is wheel speed, no matter how big it is. Yeah, the smaller one spins faster at a given MPH, but does the ABS know how fast you are going? My guess is no. It is most likely just sensing relative wheel speed, and modulating brake pressure if speed drops below a certain parameter (0 mph?).

MHO

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
bug
bodger

Oddometer: 25
It does not matter what wheel size you use,sensor monitors a rotor on left of hubb which is smaller diameter than disc so you could use 21/19/17 inch wheels without problem
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #12
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Woody

I have seen a pic of Richards bike before, looks very nice. Unfortunately I just got this from KTM today:

as representatives of the manufacturer we cannot endorse any changes from the standard homologated model as offered for sale through our agents with the exception of recommended power parts as tested and recommended through our accessories division.
With regard to your particular model the 990 Adventure with ABS please remember that the ABS has been designed and tested with bikes fitted with OE tyres and brakes, including brake pads and we cannot support any deviation from this on the grounds of both safety and stability.
Ultimately it is your decision on whether or not you change the specification on your KTM but please be aware that we will not be able to support you should any issues arise as a result of any changes made by yourself or on your direction.

Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, and still doesnt answer if the ABS system needs a 21" front to work.....
It occurred to me that several companies in Germany offer 17/17 wheel kits for the GS12 (most notably AC Schnitzer). Given that nearly all GS12's sold in Germany have ABS (front AND side airbags coming out in 2008, ejection seats in 2009 ) and that in Germany you need the TUV's approval to change nearly anything on a motor vehicle, I can only assume that KTM's reaction is a little overly cautious. Additionally, KTM's line about only the original Pirelli's being ok-ed for use with ABS equipped bikes is bunk since the Metzler and Conti have approved alternatives. I'm going to send an email off to AC to enquire about approval on ABS equipped bikes and will post the outcome here.
Terence FFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:10 AM   #13
Rob Stevenson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
990 19"/17"

After all the hype has anyone had the balls to swap to the 19"/17" Combo on their 990 Adventure.
Rob Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #14
Window_licker OP
n0b

Rob

I decided to just put stickier standard sized tyress on (Avons), lets bump this to see if anyone else has done it......

Are you the same Rob that goes to Triple D in Kendal?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #15
Rob Stevenson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
window licker

Thats me mate!

Its not that man lloyd again is it ?
Rob Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote