User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
ducsingle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Draggin' Jeans + Bohn Bodyguard Armored Pants

Is anybody wearing a combination of Draggin' Jeans + Bohn Bodyguard Armored Pants (or an equivalent combination)? I have a lot of vintage bikes and would like to look a little less like a Power Ranger without sacrificing crash worthiness.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Trinity
Byron in Texas

Oddometer: 283
I have some Draggin' Jeans that I've had for about 3 years. While they are comfortable, they don't have enough volume in the knee area to add the DG's optional knee armor. Unless the company has come out with a more relaxed fit or you have "chicken legs" , I don't imagine there would be enough room for the Bohn armor.

YMMV.
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #3
ldbandit76
Life is good.

Oddometer: 478
Sorry, no help with those products. But I do have two pair of these, and I love them.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-16909.html
ldbandit76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
license2ill
Banned

Oddometer: 715
I'd suggest the T-Pro Forcefield underpants over the Bohn piece. Real, CE-approved armor, and the material seems to be much higher-quality stuff, for the same price. The impact protectors are thinner and more flexible, and Bohn has a shady rep of putting phony CE tags on their products or saying they meet "CE spec" instead of being truly certified. The T-Pro stuff is the best in the business:

http://www.johnsonleather.com/under_garments.htm

Regardless, I think overpants are an even better solution as they can provide better abrasion reisistance and possibly eve nmore comfort and convenience. The Tourmaster Decker leather overpants look to offer decent protective value for the price:

http://www.newenough.com/tour_master..._pant_page.htm
license2ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 886
Draggin' Jeans does offer a relaxed fit with plenty of room for knee armor.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,337
How about leather riding pants like Vanson for instance? You can get them with armor and they're all black so you won't look like a Power Ranger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
ducsingle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Thanks for the T-Pro Forcefield info. I didn't realize Bohn was a little misdescriptive of their products.

I'm not a big fan of overpants absent rain and/or cold, probably because I live in Southern California. I have a set of First Gear overpants, but they're generally too hot for the local climate.

If I really want to gear up, I'll wear armored leather pants. I'm interested in the under-armor + Draggin Jeans (or something similar) for reasonably good protection on vintage bike rides. A lot of guys riding vintage bikes are still wearing Belstaff waxed cotton jackets, no armor, jeans, and work boots.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
license2ill
Banned

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducsingle
Thanks for the T-Pro Forcefield info. I didn't realize Bohn was a little misdescriptive of their products.

I'm not a big fan of overpants absent rain and/or cold, probably because I live in Southern California. I have a set of First Gear overpants, but they're generally too hot for the local climate.

If I really want to gear up, I'll wear armored leather pants. I'm interested in the under-armor + Draggin Jeans (or something similar) for reasonably good protection on vintage bike rides. A lot of guys riding vintage bikes are still wearing Belstaff waxed cotton jackets, no armor, jeans, and work boots.
Yeah, I can't figure-out why nobody makes any perfed leather overapnts. Overpants all seem to be either waterproof cold weather stuff or extra thin mesh stuff. Bout the best textile overpants look to be the Motoport Kevlar mesh or Cordura, but I'm still skeptical of the protective level for the money, as well as their armor's capabilties. You may want to give them a look too though. I posted some pics of results of the Draggin jeans in a lowside spill recently on here, the results were less than inspiring.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...12#post2618312

license2ill screwed with this post 05-01-2006 at 03:26 PM
license2ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Mike M
In the Midwest

Oddometer: 1,402
I have the Bohn Adventure Pants (includes thigh pads, as well as knee, hip and tailbone). I got them to wear under jeans after I took a parking lot speed fall on my knee. Wore them under regular jeans (a size bigger than normal to fit the armor).

Once I started riding with them, I realized that if I went down, the denim jeans were going to shred. I wanted armor and abrasion protection.

I considered the Draggin's but decided to go with a motorcycle textile pant instead. I got the Rev'it Ultimate pants because they aren't an overpant. The fit is close, so they don't feel as bulky as wearing jeans under an overpant. I wear a pair of bicycle tights or shorts under them. I liked them so much, I just ordered a pair of the Rev'it AirVent pants for hot weather.

I've always ridden with an armored jacket, helmet and gloves but once you make the decision to be fully ATGATT with leg protection too, you may decide to go all the way like I did.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
Tegan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I do. When I know I'm going to be running around town for a while I'll wear that combo (or to and from work). If it's just a few blocks down the street I'll throw some mx knees on under my Draggin Jeans. Just a suggestion get a size or two larger (Jean) then you think you need if your going to be wearing that combo.
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote