ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
mroddis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
MityVac Brake Bleeder - which one?

Hi all,
I'm looking to add to my collection of tools needed for maintaining my Orange Crush ('06 950 ADV), and confused on which brake bleeder kit to purchase.

I want a vacuum pump so I can do the bleeding alone - see a lot of talk of the Mityvac system so did a search. (If there is a better one then please let me know - some reviews are less than stellar but hard to know for sure. Real world experiences anyone??)

MITMV8000 "Automotive test and bleeder kit" on sale for $17 (reg $60!)
(seems to have extra fittings, and comes with selectline pump/tube setup)

or

MV8020 "Mityvan Brake bleeding kit" on sale for $34
(seems like a smaller kit with fewer extra bits - but appears to be the same pump/tube setup)

Anyone know which is better? Will they both work on the KTM?

Is this a simple case of pick the cheaper one, dummy, as they both do the same job? Or spend the money on the ________ one that you'll have forever.

Thanks all,
Matthew.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Bleemus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Get SpeedBleeders instead. I have a pump that I only will use on friends bikes without SpeedBleeders. They are da bomb.
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Cottonwood Pass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
MightyVac II

I have the MightyVac II. That's all it says on the pump, no model number. I have had this for 8years or so. Came with 3ft of PVC clear tube, numerous size nipples, t-fittings and two container vessels with twist lids.

I just used it to cycle the original brake fluid from my rear brake and refill with Motul.

My MVac is completely rebuildable but I have never had to replace anything yet. I always try to completely empty the system and then plastic bag it.
Cottonwood Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Get SpeedBleeders instead. I have a pump that I only will use on friends bikes without SpeedBleeders. They are da bomb.
1) There are lots of reasons to own a vaccum pump other than for bleeding brakes and the OP said he was interested in expanding his tool selection. In which case I would get the version with the vacuum gauge, HF sells it: http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac...ump-39522.html The cheaper version without the gauge isn't as versatile.

2) For routine bleeding of brakes, a vaccum pump is IMO a waste of time. You're better off just doing it the old fashioned way with a wrench, length of tube and squeezing the brake lever. It's easy to do this solo and it is the most effective way.

A pump is useful if you want to do a fluid flush but I always find there is air left in the system when using the pump (possibly as the nose/nipple seal loosens due to the vaccum allowing air in) and I always end up having to finish using the above "old fashioned" way.

IMO if you want to flush the system, back bleeding using a luer tip syringe (they sell 60cc ones cheap, $1 each at livestock supply houses) is a better bet and you can remove the old fluid at the master cyl using a $2 turkey baster. The syringes are useful also for the clutch which needs to be backbled. N.B the synringes are pretty much disposable if you use brake fluid as it'll weaken the seal.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
that's the way to go, very inexpensive and stays on the bike,clutch slave too. Without that though I did it the normal way for the first time the other day and it was ez ,with a bit of a stretch to the lever
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
mroddis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Thanks for all the help - I was originally going to do it the old fashioned way, but got scared by this post elsewhere on Orange Crush

"Are you trying to bleed the system by pumping the lever/pedal?
Won't work - you cannot build up enough pressureto force air out of the system via the lever/pedal.
This is very common mistake among new bike owners attempting (apparent) simple maintenance.
Try a vaccum assist tool - I use a 'Miti-Vac' tool. KTM also offers a 'tool'."

Being new to bike maintenance in general, I was worried that there was something unique about bleeding the brakes of the big KTMs and therefore was looking into the vacuum pump setup.

Matthew.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,010
I'll bet that post was talking about bleeding brakes on an ABS equipped bike. Yet one more reason...
Old 09-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroddis View Post
Thanks for all the help - I was originally going to do it the old fashioned way, but got scared by this post elsewhere on Orange Crush

"Are you trying to bleed the system by pumping the lever/pedal?
Won't work - you cannot build up enough pressureto force air out of the system via the lever/pedal.
This is very common mistake among new bike owners attempting (apparent) simple maintenance.
Try a vaccum assist tool - I use a 'Miti-Vac' tool. KTM also offers a 'tool'."

Being new to bike maintenance in general, I was worried that there was something unique about bleeding the brakes of the big KTMs and therefore was looking into the vacuum pump setup.

Matthew.
Please post a link to the post rather than copying the text, right click on the post #xx at the upper right corner of the post and select "copy link location/address" and paste that.

I don't buy it. You can build up enough pressure to force the piston out but not force out any air?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Motion Pro makes a little check-valve type bleeder that makes bleeding truly a one-man show. You simply attach the cyclinder and short hose to your bleed valve, put the other end in an old can or brake fluid bottle and pump the lever (and keep the reservoir full). Its as simple as that.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote