User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #16
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Greetings,
I've not had this type of clutch problem on my '07 950 SE, but I did have it on a '82 Triumph 750. On one occasion, after the bike had been sitting outside overnight, when I pull in the clutch and put the bike in gear the plates had not released sufficiently such that the meshing of the gears actually broke a few teeth off of the two mating ones
The cure I found for certain bikes that are known to not fully release their plates when cold is to simply put the bike in the highest gear BEFORE starting it, pull in the clutch, and then push the bike forward. In just a foot or so of movement the plates will "break free" and the bike can then be started with the assurance that there will be no "bang" once its started and first put into gear.
I know there may be options of using different oil to help alleviate this problem, but for a bike with this issue the solution I've provided prevents the chance of gearbox damage until the "corrective" oil can be found.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #17
Bannisdale
....snowing now!

Oddometer: 209
[quote=Rev Fred]I am now having exactly this problem on my '08 990....

That's not what KTM Frank wanted to hear!

Personally I've had zero problems with the clutch engagement and action (apart from the slave failing) hot or cold. I always pull the lever to the bars and blip the throttle (let the revs die off) before engaging 1st. Even after extended layups of several months it's a smooth as silk.

Mine's the late 05 model, didn't the earlier models have a smaller oil jet fitted? Maybe that's the problem, not enough oil (especially when cold) getting to the plates.

Maybe CP can enlighten us?

If you want a bad clutch try a Yamaha FZR1000 90s vintage, talk about grabby!
Bannisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #18
Rev Fred
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se
The cure I found for certain bikes that are known to not fully release their plates when cold is to simply put the bike in the highest gear BEFORE starting it, pull in the clutch, and then push the bike forward. In just a foot or so of movement the plates will "break free" and the bike can then be started with the assurance that there will be no "bang" once its started and first put into gear.
Eh? I'm not sure I follow. You mean before I even start the engine, I should put the bike in 6th gear, let the clutch OUT, and then push the bike forwards in 6th gear to rotate the clutch and unstick it? Then once I've done this, put it back into neutral, fire it up, and try to set off in first?

I'll try this tomorrow and report back!
Rev Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
Rev Fred
n00b

I had another idea actually. How about when I finish my ride home I secure the clutch lever in the in position with a band of some kind, thereby holding the clutch open, and the plates apart. That way they won't stick together during the cold night, and when I come to start the bike up the following morning, I just release the clutch lever before I fire the bike up?

I will experiment and see what works.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #20
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Just ride the sucker it will be O.K.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #21
ktm950se
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Fred
Eh? I'm not sure I follow. You mean before I even start the engine, I should put the bike in 6th gear, let the clutch OUT, and then push the bike forwards in 6th gear to rotate the clutch and unstick it? Then once I've done this, put it back into neutral, fire it up, and try to set off in first?

I'll try this tomorrow and report back!
Greetings,
You almost have it, but not quite. With the engine off, place the bike in 6th gear, then pull in the clutch, and now push the bike forward a little bit. You'll initially feel alot of resistence, but then the plates will "break free' and the bike will roll much more easily.
Now all you need to do is put it back in neutral, start the engine, and now when you pull in the clutch and drop the bike into gear you won't have the "bang" of the gears meshing.

ktm950se
Old 11-12-2009, 05:14 AM   #22
Rev Fred
n00b

KTM950SE you are a genius! It worked a treat this morning. Problem solved!

I don't think I got it all the way up to 6th, and I was in perhaps 4th when I pushed the bike forward, and I did feel some resistance before it then rolled freely. Started up and set off without any problems.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #23
ktm950se
Banned

Greetings,
That's great news!
As you found out, you don't necessarily need to put the bike in top gear to break the plates free, its just that its a bit easier to do it that way than using a lower gear.

ktm950se
Old 11-19-2009, 03:07 AM   #24
Hosszu Toll
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Ok,I see this is working,but you must do this on every morning,or you do once and the problem is solved?

Hosszu Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Clutch Chatter at First Take Off

So my 04 950 was driving me bonkers with clutch chatter and ws thinking "Reluse"time. Then I ran across this thread. Ah! Not alone in the woods!
So I read the drill and try it in the AM while the coffee is trying to do it's thing. Well the coffee was taking its time and I firred my motor off. I thought what the hell go for 6 th gear anyway with the motor running. Guess what! It works that way to, so far.

Start the motor, shift to top gear, bib the gas, slip the clutch a bit, go back to first and Bob's your Uncle.

Cheers!
DiggerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #26
Lisa-Isabella
70's Girl

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm frank View Post
I own a silver 950 2004, in the morning when it is cold and its been sitting there for a while (at least 12 hours) i start the engine let it warm up t'ill i see four bars on the gauge temp. then i put it in gear and let the clutch go and start rolling the sucker tend to stalls and i need to let the clutch slip and its making a enorme teeth grinding noise like metal to metal kind of thing.bougt the beast recently it as 19000 km i think it a very early 2004 like the very first one sold in my province sept 2003,if anyone knows about that feel free to email me need info fast

This is just normal KTM 950.

Only happens in cold temps.

They all do it (KTM's with dry sumps) I think

Because the engine is a dry sump you need to get oil to the plates from the centre of the clutch. The first time you use the clutch, in colder temps, gets the oil onto the plates then it all works fine .......... you sold the bike because of this ????? 2007

That's a good idea Digger, but Mort is right........... Not worth worrying about

Lisa-Isabella screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 09:35 AM
Lisa-Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote