User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
LaSelvaRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
BMW Fuel gauge bulletin???

I work at the dealer level and know that with repeat concerns by customers the manufactuer will issue service bulletins to the dealerships. There must be something out there now about the R1200GS fuel gauge problem. Has any one seen this???
Old 05-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
What problems?

Mine has nearl 18K and gauge seems to work perfectly.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,587
The bulletin came out almost two years ago. The arm that holds the float could hang up inside the tank on the early 1200's.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
LaSelvaRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
THANK YOU Fluorescentbrown .....
Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
matthewnyc1
NYC Concrete Jungle

Oddometer: 16
fuel gauge problem

hi...new to the site. only 1600 miles on my '07 adventure and i found myself almost out of gas becuase the fuel gauge wasn't working. when i went to fill up the tank it took 8.6 gallons...talk about running on fumes! got the bike back from the dealer today...they said it was fixed...WRONG. taking it back next week. there is definitely a problem here.
matthewnyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,316
The newer GS's have a fuel sensor strip, not a float. The latest service bulletin was on Aug 28, 2007 to fix the sensor problem. It told the technician to take out the strip and blow dry it. I had it done and it still doesn't work that great. I keep calling customer service and tell them the problem. My bike's fuel gauge has been in for warranty work 5 times now. My fuel warning light goes on after 130 miles when I have at least 100 miles left until empty. Range states 203 miles after fill up. Another ADVrider here says his range states 240 when he fills it up.
What's yours say?
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
Beeming
Itchy Feet

Oddometer: 636
My China made Vmoto has a better fuel gauge than what BMW can produce. Most people here accept it as being normal and to just get used to it
Sounds like BMW need some real engineers, some that can actually refine a bike not just assemble them. Definitely don't rely on the fuel gauge and use the trip meter. My dealer couldn't even be bothered to change the FD oil at the first service so I doubt they could even begin to work out whats wrong with our fuel gauges. Sack em all I say and get some real men in there!

Good Luck with it

Tads
07 GS1200ADV (History), 2008 Oz Trike, 93 FLHS HD, 83 XLH HD(Missus Bike), 97 GSX-R-600(Ex SuperSport Race Bike), 97 XR-400, 74 Norton Commando Mk II(Ex Post Classic race Bike), 06 DT-175, 82 CB-250, 02 VMoto. Work to Ride, Ride to Work
http://wwf.org.au/ourwork/species/
...Adventure before Dementia...
Beeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,158
Before it gets too out of hand...all 5 of my 12 GS's have had perfect fuel guages. To say they are all bad is BS.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 815
Laugh

My 07 R1200R guage works perfectly !

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:25 AM   #10
perobins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
07 R1200GS with Trip Computor Option

I had the same problem with my fuel gauge and low fuel warning light coming on way too early. The dealer dried the fuel sensor strip but this did not help. They then replaced the sensor strip and it now appears to be working better. I was told it is a contamination issue during shipping!! I love my bike and feel it is a minor issue. I just hated looking at the warning light for so long!! Hopefully they can resolve this for next model year.

Phil
perobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 AM   #11
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
I swapped the GS tank for the GSA tank, using the same internals and the fuel gauge works as well as it did on the GS. The countdown is pretty accurate too.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #12
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,670
Yup, My 12GS guage is also extremely accurate. I rode it all the way down to 0 miles and managed to get 5.8 gallons in it. I can easily get 250 miles out of a tank if i'm not doing highway speeds all day.

The k1200s isn't nearly as accurate but i would rather it be pessimistic than run it dry with miles left on the countdown
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #13
impi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
There's two issues here. The one relates to the bad fuel strips the other relates to a software update to improve the accuracy on the Adventure fuel guage and trip computer.

I use the trip meter to give me a better feel of how many miles remain - I have chosen not to have the software update done as the Brake! led taillight still functions on my 07 and part of the update changes the way taillight function.

The fuel strip issue is more of a QC issue than a design issue. Hardly justification to blame poor engineering. The fuel guage on the Vmoto (a Chinese made moped) is most likely mechanical and the total fuel capacity of the Vmoto is just over what the BMW carries as a reserve (5 liters). Comparing apples with oranges perhaps ?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #14
yxome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
The fuel gauge on my '07 GS failed early, reading full all the time. My dealer said this has been a fairly common problem. They followed the service bulletin with no success and replaced the fuel strip. According to the dealer, somewhere in mid '06 the fuel sensor was changed from the float to the strip with a few bikes being delivered with both sensors. BMW is looking at the problem but has no long term solution yet. There appears to be no pattern to how they fail, some showing full, some empty and some anywhere in between.
yxome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #15
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Mine seems good, if awfully conservative, at something like 2,500 miles.

It does seem to light up the yellow warning light with something like 90+ miles to go, but ... once figured out ... that's a relative non-issue for me.

Range at full seems to be about 225-230.

This notion of a strip (akin to a piece of litmus paper, for example), and the fix being to dry it with a hair dryer .... is just on the verge of funny, but ... for whatever reason ... I'm not actually chuckling about it.

Hmm.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote