User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #31936
cemory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
GSXR exhaust in Las Vegas

I told this guy I would take his can immediately but he said it was for "local pickup only". I even told him I would pay CASH, no reply. Sooo, if one of you yahoos lives within driving distance of this guy, here is the best deal you will ever get on this can. I figured since I can't have it maybe another DR dude can snatch it up.

Good luck

Chris

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1611644131.html
cemory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #31937
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Jumping in to say hello. It's been 20 years but I've once again got the dualsport bug... And I LIKE IT! I've cleared out the shelves of some fairly pricy vintage bike items that were never going to be used anyway and put together enough coin to get myself a low mileage 08 DR650 that I've had my eye on (Is it true that black is the fastest color?).

It's completly stock but has clearly been "enjoyed" offroad by the previous owner (brush scratches and such) but nothing obviously broken. I've cruised this thread a bit and done some searches (honest) and I apologize if this is an often repeated question but before I pull the trigger is there anything unique to this model to keep a close eye on when checking out the bike? They seem to have almost no issue that I can find which is refreshing (cough.. KLR cough..)but I just thought I'd check.

Its also in my nature to farkle the hell out of it and I've already found pro-cycle. Anyone else I should be looking at?

Thanks. I'll have pictures and questions up soon. Totally Pumped!
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #31938
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemory
I told this guy I would take his can immediately but he said it was for "local pickup only". I even told him I would pay CASH, no reply. Sooo, if one of you yahoos lives within driving distance of this guy, here is the best deal you will ever get on this can. I figured since I can't have it maybe another DR dude can snatch it up.

Good luck

Chris

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1611644131.html

Great find! Just got off the phone with a buddy from the area, he's going to try & get it for me. Thanks.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #31939
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve
Its also in my nature to farkle the hell out of it and I've already found pro-cycle. Anyone else I should be looking at?

Pro-Cycle is a great one stop shop, check this thread for more....
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #31940
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
Pro-Cycle is a great one stop shop, check this thread for more....
OHHHH BABY!! THANKS FOR THAT!
Old 02-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #31941
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,375
Quote:
before I pull the trigger is there anything unique to this model to keep a close eye on when checking out the bike? They seem to have almost no issue that I can find which is refreshing (cough.. KLR cough..)but I just thought I'd check.
Just check the neutral sending unit (nsu) screws when you get it home and grease the steering and linkage bearings.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #31942
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Jumping in to say hello. It's been 20 years but I've once again got the dualsport bug... And I LIKE IT! I've cleared out the shelves of some fairly pricy vintage bike items that were never going to be used anyway and put together enough coin to get myself a low mileage 08 DR650 that I've had my eye on (Is it true that black is the fastest color?).

It's completly stock but has clearly been "enjoyed" offroad by the previous owner (brush scratches and such) but nothing obviously broken. I've cruised this thread a bit and done some searches (honest) and I apologize if this is an often repeated question but before I pull the trigger is there anything unique to this model to keep a close eye on when checking out the bike? They seem to have almost no issue that I can find which is refreshing (cough.. KLR cough..)but I just thought I'd check.

Congrats on the 'new' DR650... I also have a black '08 and I can tell ya without a doubt that black is definitely the fastest color.

Along with Procycle you should put Jesse at Kientech on your source list: http://www.kientech.com/ You need to call for orders, but he's a really nice guy, loves to talk and share his vast knowledge of all things DR. His wife is a sweetheart, both are a joy to talk to.
Also the ThumperTalk Store has a selection of DR stuff.

Everyone has their own ideas on what needs modded first, but all of us agree that farkling is one of the 'percs' of DR650 ownership. There are some quick & free stuff you can do right off the bat, such as the carb... shim the needle with a #4 (somebody correct me if that's wrong) washer under the clip, and drill the cap off the idle mixture screw to adjust it from it's stock lean condition. Remove the snorkel in the top of the airbox, and take off the header and grind down the weld around the inlet flange inside. These little tricks will give you a bit more pep out of her for no cost.

Now comes the really fun part where your life savings will slowly disappear and your ol' lady will begin to hate you, but you can always run off with the UPS gal 'cuz you'll get to know her intimately.

Personally, I consider the DR's stock suspension to be it's biggest weakness and should be addressed right away, it really changes the bike's personality from a heavy wallowing pig to a decently nimble pig. I recommend new fork springs first, specifically Eibachs in the correct rate for your weight. If you are a heavier guy like me, or carry a passenger or camping gear often, then consider a new rear spring to go with the fronts. But in many cases, simply turning up the rear shock preload is sufficient. Then there's the ongoing debate on either Racetech cartridge emulators or Intimidators for further fork tuning.

If engine performance is your priority, there's the Dynojet kit, a lot of bang for just $60 bucks, and cutting out the top of the airbox to open her up. Then exhaust... many options on the aftermarket, or you can go with the popular GSXR can with the 2 Bros midpipe & flange. I like the idea of the midpipe without the flange, which gives you a lot of different options in finding a 2" inlet muffler cheap, but that's just me.

If you plan on going off road, however, definitely look into a skidplate such as the Moose Racing or Utah Sports (do they still make those?) and a good set of barkbuster-type handguards to replace the useless stock plastic flappers. Upgrading the handlebars are a popular option too. The list keeps going on from there... it can get pretty addicting, but that's part of the fun.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #31943
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDude
You could always make a hangar from a piece of aluminum bar from Home Depot, unless you are concerned about the can being too low.
That pipe is just slid on for a quick picture. If the flange was missing it could be slid on 2-4 inches and mounted in the proper location.
It would end up about 1 1/2 inches longer than the GSXR can but has similar inlet and outlet dimentions and it's a lot thinner. the two cans feel very similar in weight.

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #31944
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
C
Now comes the really fun part where your life savings will slowly disappear and your ol' lady will begin to hate you, but you can always run off with the UPS gal 'cuz you'll get to know her intimately.
HA!This is right down my alley. I've been restoring and fooling around with old 2 strokes for ten years or so now. I think my wife has kinda given up.

And thanks much for the tips and links. Exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #31945
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 307
I need to know what to do with the other tank hose when installing the IMS tank, I removed the hose that went on back of stock petcock and plugged its carburator inlet. Connected the main carburator hose to he petcock. What do I do with the other hose that went to the bottom right side of the stock tank??

I know this asnwer must be somewhere along this 2,000+ thread pages, just cant find it
Old 02-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #31946
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97
What do I do with the other hose that went to the bottom right side of the stock tank??

I know this asnwer must be somewhere along this 2,000+ thread pages, just cant find it
Is it a California model with a hose tank vent to a charcoal cannister maybe.
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #31947
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by payner
I understand there are three aftermarket seats that are easily available:
Corbin (heavy but generally liked)
Renzco (?)
Sargent (?)
I would really appreciate a bit of a run down from those who have experienced at least two on which are better for various applications.
I have the Corbin and it works for me on the DR. No idea why because I've had two Corbin seats on other bikes and they were just OK. A friend had a Corbin on his Vstrom, it was great, truly better than stock. So hit and miss but for most you will hear from here, the Corbin hits a Homerun.

I guess my Corbin suits me as I've done multiple 400 mile days, back to back. 10 hour riding days not a problem, I've done dozens in 30K miles. Yes, its heavy. Yes, customer service is not great. But it just flat works on this particular bike.

Renazco Racing
James is a Hero in the KTM community. He makes a beautiful seat and cheaper than the Corbin. Also cooler looking with suede and cool piping. I've not ridden on one on a DR650 but have on a 950 ADV. But only spent an hour and an half in the saddle. Seemed fine. Sorry, no idea how well it would do after four or five hours, which is the real test for a good seat. The bikes owner claims 10 hour days doable, in fact the day we rode together we rode about 10 hours (350 miles)

Problem is, the KTM guys are used to a stock seat that would make the stock DR650 seat feel plush So for most KTM guys, riding for two or three hours is unheard of and they are in heaven with their Renazco. Far as I know, no one has done a "Shoot-out" between the two. Keep in mind Renazco has about a three or four month wait. I think the Corbin is on the shelf, ready to ship. I have a leather one, its good. If I was on the fence and had time, I'd go Renazco just to try one out, I'm sure it's a good product .... and if not he will fix any complaints quickly without hassle.

No idea about Sargent, but fact is, almost anything is an improvement over stock. But I will tell you, the ability to cover huge miles in comfort will really change your whole outlook on the bike in general. I never, ever would have imagined it would be possible to cover so many miles for so many days in a row and survive.

Go to a couple rallies or dual sport rides and get in a few test rides.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #31948
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
Is it a California model with a hose tank vent to a charcoal cannister maybe.
I dont really know what state is the bike from, I bought it used down here in El Salvador
If it was from Cali what would I have to do with that hose?
TY
Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #31949
dylandr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Bluhduh not for energy saving at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
So, how's the old "LED's use less power" working out for you?

Howzat Lornce

The reason I got the LED flickers was not for power saving but rather to match what I did to the DR.
[IMG][/IMG]
They now look like so...
[IMG][/IMG]

Those old ones are fricken HUGE!

Cheers Dyl
dylandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #31950
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97
I dont really know what state is the bike from, I bought it used down here in El Salvador
If it was from Cali what would I have to do with that hose?
TY
Where does the hose go to ?
I only have the vacuum hose off the carb (well before fitting the Mikuni TM40) and the fuel hose,no other hoses or fittings on the fuel tank itself.

Someone US based will know better than me but most California bikes do not have a vented gas cap but a hose from an internal tube running to an external charcoal filter.
May not be the case here but if the hose system is removed/tube/blocked off a vented cap or a mod to suit would need to be fitted so the tank could vent and eliminate vacuum lock.
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote