Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #31936
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound
I have a husqvarna TE450 OEM muffler that I bought off ebay a few weeks ago for another project. If the flange wasn't already welded on the new midpipe the Husky muffler would fit perfectly.

You can order the 2 Bros midpipe from Jesse without the flange. When I was looking for a way to install my oval canister, I called and found out... $120 for just the pipe without the flange welded on. But I ended up making my own midpipe for a lot less.

I believe the 2 Bros midpipe is 2" diameter, so there's plenty of mufflers out there for a lot cheaper than the GSXR cans that would just clamp on without the flange. I often wonder why more people don't do this, since the GSXR mufflers are getting harder to find cheaply, plus you save money by not getting the flange.

Seems like an obvious and easier alternative to me, but most people tend to follow the crowd I guess...
Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #31937
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by decodent
Cool headlights! What are these? Actually, that whole headlight + windscreen gig is nice. Soooo ... what's the windscreen, too?

Thanks! Also some info here: http://dr650.invisionplus.net/?mforu...&showtopic=644
Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #31938
Ferdinand
Ride The Wind ForeverFree

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
I'm selling a couple of my xr's (not the 400) and was thinking about a DR650 because I want something a little more streetish.I got a deposit on a 08 DR650(black) 800miles. I guess it was a repo. The dealer is selling for 3300. He said it looks practically new and looks like it was never offroad. The only flaw is a small dent in the tank. (Don't care was planning on a bigger tank)
Would you be afraid to buy a repo with no known history of how it's been ridden during break in? Or would it be better to wait and find one with a known owner who took care of his bike. I think for 3300 it sounds like a good deal to me. I plan on riding it and checking it over good when I get there next week. Any thoughts? thanks.
I got her! Real nice shape just the tank and a little corrosion here and there. Run nice for stock. Impressed with how smooth it is. Especially at high speeds. Pic you can kind of see dent, not really bad, that's dirt underneath not rust. Name:  xrr and dr 001.JPG
Views: 841
Size:  138.3 KB
Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #31939
dylandr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
LED's

Howzat all.

Eventually got my bloody LED blinkers on! It took some math, trial and error.
When I first thought they would work without a resistor, they didn't. Then I put a 100 Ohm resistor in parallel and they still didn't work. I then swopped the polarity and presto, they worked! But when the left or right indicator was switched on, ALL the fricken indicators started flashing!!!
Then I broke out a bitta math..... eventually ending up with a 10 Ohm resistor 5W that gives off more heat than the surface of the sun! Bloody hell!
Oh well, gonna leave them now, until the solder and heat shrink starts smelting, then I'll put a 20 Ohm 10/20W resistor in place.

But I must say, they do look much sweeter than the stock cricket bats!!!

Cheers Dyl
dylandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #31940
Gizzit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
Winters can be long, cold and dark and some people just need something to do...

p.s. my old stock turn signals work just as well for me as the stock headlight. I'll keep both as the change is not worth the expense or hassle, at least for me.
+ 1 I will stay with the stock units that came with the bike. I have a GPS and heated grips added to the load, and don't have any issues .... at least not yet !!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #31941
Ed Muggles
oh, the other left

Oddometer: 250
WOOO HOOOO finance as been apoved
i'll be picking up my 2010 Black DR650 shortly

i'll post picks as soon as she arives :P
Ed Muggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #31942
Luushen
Victorian

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandr
But when the left or right indicator was switched on, ALL the fricken indicators started flashing!!!
Cheers Dyl
i think that was covered a page or 2 back , aka back feeding through the dash indicator lamp or is that were you soldered the resistor

Luushen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #31943
Robert^
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubneets
I am not trying to be a smartass here, I can see the advantages of HID headlights (pun intended) but I guess I don't understand the advantages of led blinkers and the headaches and expense associated with thier installation - do the stock blinkers draw that much juice that they "overtax" the electrical system? or is it just cool to have the LED flashers??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubneets
I am not trying to be a smartass here, I can see the advantages of HID headlights (pun intended) but I guess I don't understand the advantages of led blinkers and the headaches and expense associated with thier installation - do the stock blinkers draw that much juice that they "overtax" the electrical system? or is it just cool to have the LED flashers??
It isn't just juice, it is low heat generation and compactness. In the stock blinker housings, now with clear lenses, I have blinkers and always-on marker lights at all four corners in addition to two more brake lights. This was done with Custom Dynamics clusters and Eastern Beaver connectors.

Visibility in crappy weather has gone up and the electrical draw has gone down.
Attached Images

Robert^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #31944
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,002
Quote:
Oh well, gonna leave them now, until the solder and heat shrink starts smelting, then I'll put a 20 Ohm 10/20W resistor in place.

So, how's the old "LED's use less power" working out for you?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #31945
Josh_TN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Howzat all.

Eventually got my bloody LED blinkers on! It took some math, trial and error.
When I first thought they would work without a resistor, they didn't. Then I put a 100 Ohm resistor in parallel and they still didn't work. I then swopped the polarity and presto, they worked! But when the left or right indicator was switched on, ALL the fricken indicators started flashing!!!
Then I broke out a bitta math..... eventually ending up with a 10 Ohm resistor 5W that gives off more heat than the surface of the sun! Bloody hell!

But I must say, they do look much sweeter than the stock cricket bats!!!

Cheers Dyl
If you use a "no load" flasher, you don't need resistors. Using resistors defeats the whole purpose of using LEDs to start with.

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Josh_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #31946
Josh_TN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
How 'bout $12.99 + free shipping for all FOUR mini turn signals like these:

An no extra diodes or resistors to mess with... just plug 'n play!

Btw, 2 had wires disconnected and one had a screw missing, so they sent me another set of four... free!
(I replaced the screw and soldered the wires on all 8 anyway, so I have 4 spares)

They don't look to0 bad either:

It's hard to out-cheap a cheapskate.
I will admit you got me beat on the cheap part. If you need a really cheap way to make some highway pegs let me know. I have some I fabbed up for under $10. Ggood lookin bike.

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Josh_TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #31947
payner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Seats... again!

I'm planning some lengthy trips this summer and have decided that a new seat to replace the stocker is mandatory. I wish I had the time to fabricate one from an old pan etc. but I just don't... and the wife says, "just go buy a new seat". Hey, who am I to contradict SWMBO

Anyway, I need info on the most appropriate seat. Yes, I've searched this thread and tried to formulate an opinion... but I'm stuck. Please help!

I am not a real dirt rider - more fire road and double track exploring is my thing while doing long days in the saddle to get to the good spots - like 400 - 700kms. I also have a reasionably high tolerance for stock seats although the DR ('06) has broken me.

I understand there are three aftermarket seats that are easily available:
Corbin (heavy but generally liked)
Renzco (?)
Sargent (?)

I would really appreciate a bit of a run down from those who have experienced at least two on which are better for various applications.

As noted above, I'll need to put at least a few hours to a day in the saddle to get to the good riding spots. Once there I'll not be riding hard core dirt but I like to be able to move around and try some easier "off road" at times.

I realize this topic has been covered but I'd be grateful for any thoughts you can provide to this n00b

Oh, the bike has the IMS tank and aluminium panniers if that matters.

Many thanks!
payner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #31948
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Ferdinand - Nicely done. Enjoy the add ons that are sure to come!

Payner - Have a Sargent on my V-Strom..Love it. Tried a Corbin & it never fit (& they wouldn't take it back).

Got my perriwinkle colored yoga mat from WalMart to do my on DR seat based on a post here. We'll see how that goes.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #31949
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
I believe the 2 Bros midpipe is 2" diameter, so there's plenty of mufflers out there for a lot cheaper than the GSXR cans that would just clamp on without the flange. I often wonder why more people don't do this, since the GSXR mufflers are getting harder to find cheaply, plus you save money by not getting the flange.
Because the GSXR pipe is a well known and researched pipe and we have complete jetting guidelines for it.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #31950
DirtDude
Dirt Dude

Oddometer: 38
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound
Went to the shop today to install my GSXR muffler onto my Jesse install kit.
It doesn't fit quite right and I'll need to drill a new hole on the muffler mount to make it line up perfectly. No big deal there.

I have a husqvarna TE450 OEM muffler that I bought off ebay a few weeks ago for another project. If the flange wasn't already welded on the new midpipe the Husky muffler would fit perfectly.
You could always make a hangar from a piece of aluminum bar from Home Depot, unless you are concerned about the can being too low.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I glance at my feet looking for the tale-tale signs hoping that it isn't a train.

Stay on the top side and ride easy!
DirtDude is offline   Reply With Quote