Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #31936
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos
Forgot to add my DR to *THE" DR650 Thread.

My ole'97... with a few mods.

Mods:

GSXR exhaust
CRD bashplate
Wider header
30L 640 Adv tank + seat
SV650 fuel pump
SV1000N headlight+Givi scree (temporary)
WP43 forks
WP shock
Garmin 278
Fatbar
Brembo brakes
Hein gericke racks
Suzuki tail rack
WebCam camshaft

Soon:

Decent lighting
Roadbook
trip computer
TM40 pumper carb
WP48 !?
Similar to what I've been thinking. Only, I've been daydreaming about putting the DR650 motor into my KTM250 frame.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #31937
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
How can you see where you're going?
I've never seen someone riding a "Dakar" type bike sitting down!

So as long as he is standing, I bet he can see just fine!

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

2012 KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
2007 KTM 250XCF- " Viktoria"
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #31938
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 762
Is it a skid plate or bodywork?

I looked all over the net for a cheap skid plate that had specific features including protecting the lower oil line up front on the engine, fit flush with no fasteners sticking out in harm's way, protect the lower sides of the motor & it should go all the way back and pick up the two threaded brackets on the bottom of the frame. (my design would not be symmetrical & I recessed the rear allen bolts by welding material to the inside and counter boring .250)
I looked around my shop and figured I had everything I needed to make one. Starting with 6061 T6 aluminum and some cardboard templates I festooned this piece.

As it began to take shape I thought I would just go ahead and make it look like a piece of bodywork and mix some colors together and spray it. Before hanging it on, I used some high heat silicone and coated the inside to help deaden the noise it was going to make.
Trips to Home Depot : 0
Total cost : 0
Red Bull consumed : many
Tools required : priceless

SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #31939
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Very nice looking skid plate. I am going to try to build a similar one myself. Did you bend the aluminum, or weld it?
Also, does everybody's rear brake lever top out into the underside of the clutch cover? This just does not seem right....
Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #31940
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,596
Have any of you run Shinko 705 tires on your DR650? I usually use D606 tires, but I want to try a 50-50 tire for a while this summer for some trips I'm going to take. I've been thinking about the Shinko 705. I would really like to try the Heidenau K60, but they are pretty expensive, almost twice as much. The Shinko 705 looks quite similar for a lot less. I know some riders have had problems with separation when used on big GSs at higher speeds, but I don't know if that would be a problem with a lighter bike like a DR650 used at a slower pace. Any direct experience would be appreciated!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #31941
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 797
Thumb Shinko 705

I am running the 705's on my DR. Thus far, 3.5k, I have had no chance to run them in true ADV fashion (dirt) but on pavement and rain they held like iron. I have had no separation or any issues. Mind you, I purchased them back in May of 09 and they might have been of the initial batch that was without issues.
All I can say so far is that they will go on my Scrambler and GS when the time comes.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #31942
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm
Very nice looking skid plate. I am going to try to build a similar one myself. Did you bend the aluminum, or weld it?
Also, does everybody's rear brake lever top out into the underside of the clutch cover? This just does not seem right....
T6 is very hard to bend. I did the bottom in a press & went with the grain in most areas. I pie cut and metal finished and rewelded the "wings". It took four pieces in all (tig'd)
SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #31943
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by marior97
I need to know what to do with the other tank hose when installing the IMS tank, I removed the hose that went on back of stock petcock and plugged its carburator inlet. Connected the main carburator hose to he petcock. What do I do with the other hose that went to the bottom right side of the stock tank??

I know this asnwer must be somewhere along this 2,000+ thread pages, just cant find it
plug it, or fit a rubber cap to where it attached to the carb. It's just a vacuum line for your stock petcock.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #31944
luckett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
Have any of you run Shinko 705 tires on your DR650?
I ran one on the rear. It's a pretty average tire with ok grip. I got less than 2K aggressive pavement miles out of it. I didn't have any separation issues, but I can see how the mold seams might be a problem with more power.

I like the shinko 700 so far.
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #31945
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,058
I say once again for people asking about seats that I have the Sargent and it is wonderful in my opinion. Jesse stopped dealing with Corbin and now only sells the Sargent. That speaks volumes.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #31946
marior97
marior97

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
Is it a California model with a hose tank vent to a charcoal cannister maybe.
TY , yes it goes to a small box near the toolbox so I guess thats the charcoal cannister
Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #31947
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
Have any of you run Shinko 705 tires on your DR650? I usually use D606 tires, but I want to try a 50-50 tire for a while this summer for some trips I'm going to take. I've been thinking about the Shinko 705. I would really like to try the Heidenau K60, but they are pretty expensive, almost twice as much. The Shinko 705 looks quite similar for a lot less. I know some riders have had problems with separation when used on big GSs at higher speeds, but I don't know if that would be a problem with a lighter bike like a DR650 used at a slower pace. Any direct experience would be appreciated!
I have them on mine right now. I have about 1200 miles on them. So far so good. They grip pavement very well. Very predictable in the corners and they do fine on gravel and hard pack. They definitely are not as good as the 606s on all dirt. But that is not what they are designed for. I have run the stock TWs and Kenda 270s. These are much better than the TWs. On pavement they are better than the Kendas but not as good on the dirt. I also have the 606s and for pure trail and agressive Dsing, those are best.

All in all I like them and will probably buy them again. YMMV

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

2012 KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
2007 KTM 250XCF- " Viktoria"
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #31948
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckett
Are you sure these are the ones you bought? The ad doesn't indicate they are LED.
They're not LEDs. I never said they were. I said I just get the cheapest mini turn signals I could find because they always break on the trail anyway... for me, LEDs don't make sense, and they're too much trouble what with the diodes and all just to save a couple watts that only get used when they blink.

I only ride on the road to get to the trails, and I don't think the squirrels and birds care whether I signal my turns...
Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #31949
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 9,740
Anybody in the Metro NY area looking for a DR?

Not mine, I just happened upon it today while nosing around.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/1599115983.html
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #31950
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
They're not LEDs. I never said they were. I said I just get the cheapest mini turn signals I could find because they always break on the trail anyway... for me, LEDs don't make sense, and they're too much trouble what with the diodes and all just to save a couple watts that only get used when they blink.

I only ride on the road to get to the trails, and I don't think the squirrels and birds care whether I signal my turns...
Maybe you should take a look at my setup. Even if the mini-blinkers are cheap, I can't imagine that it's fun replacing them all the time?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote