Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #15076
macdesign
Just another f@t b@st@rd

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL
Mac, I think that you will find that neither the carb or exhaust are street legal in Au.

Last I looked at ADRs the exhaust can had to have a data attached with specific manufacturer and model information... and even if it had the OEM exhaust and the info was missing then it could be deemed illegal. The GSX-R cans are missing DR specific data.

Also... noise testing in Au is done with a drive-by test. The basic criteria are: speed >=50kph at WOT in a gear and rpm to produce maximum acceleration. It is total noise that is measured. This includes induction, exhaust transmission, chain, tyre and aerodynamic noise plus any squeaks or rattles the bike might have. What this means is that airbox mods, changing the trailwings for a set of 606s, or dropping to a 14T CS can put the bike over the allowable noise threshold.
The only legal configuration, AFAIK, for the DR is the one in which it left the factory. Modifications are for off-road use only.

HST, the GSX-R muffler looks to be a very good idea (one which I support) for those who are willing to break the rules without running afoul of the enforcers... and their neighbours.

Cheers
Thanks a million for that wealth of information Andrew. It's always handy to know if, and by how much, we are "outside the rules". We live and learn.
Looks like there is a large bunch of us that best look out for Mr. Plod!!!
What I found very interesting, as I did the rest of your response, was the fact that tire noise etc. is included in the drive-by test. My damn bike just makes noise out of everything. It's hard to live with but I put up with it 'cos overall it's still the most fun bike I've ever ridden.
'69 Honda 750-4 for teaching my son how to build bikes

macdesign screwed with this post 07-09-2008 at 05:13 PM
macdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #15077
hammockman
Always Lost!

Oddometer: 124
hot weather gear

Who makes the best hot weather jacket and pants?
hammockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #15078
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyhound
Can anybody here tell me which throttle lock type cruise control works on my 2003 650?
A large O-ring works out pretty well, just go to the hardware store and roll them on over the bar-end weight to select the right size. Get a really thick one. Roll it into the crack between the grip and the weight to engage, and roll back onto the bar-end weight to disengage.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #15079
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
A large O-ring works out pretty well, just go to the hardware store and roll them on over the bar-end weight to select the right size. Get a really thick one. Roll it into the crack between the grip and the weight to engage, and roll back onto the bar-end weight to disengage.
Unless you're running handguards.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #15080
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Unless you're running handguards.
Aftermarket guards. Of course the stock windguards are okay with this.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #15081
kenk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Can anybody here tell me which throttle lock type cruise control works on my 2003 650?
I use a very simple and cheap cruise control. I went to my local supplier of O-rings. We tried a number of different sizes and settled on a # 320 Buna o-ring. I just slide it over the bar end weight so it is between the weight and the throttle tube. It provides just enough friction to keep the throttle from moving on its own. I've used this on a number of bikes including a Ducati, my Aprilia scooter, and the DR650. Works great, and only costs about 50 cents each. I bought a few extras just in case.

One thing.....it's aways ON so you must get used to rolling off the throttle whenever you want to slow.

Ken
kenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #15082
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk
One thing.....it's aways ON so you must get used to rolling off the throttle whenever you want to slow.

Ken
I find it easy to roll it back onto the weight to release the throttle.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #15083
hammockman
Always Lost!

Oddometer: 124
I'm looking into those crampbusters

A friend of mine recommended the crampbuster for long distance riding but I'm trying to find out what size to order.
hammockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #15084
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammockman
A friend of mine recommended the crampbuster for long distance riding but I'm trying to find out what size to order.
I just got the bog standard ScottOiler one.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #15085
Errandboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I just bought a new Ď07 DR650SE and am getting ready for the 600 mile oil change. The parts guy at the dealer sold me two drain plug gaskets and said I should drain the engine sump and the other plug (also on the crankcase) drains the oil filter housing or the oil radiator, he wasnít sure which. I have the Suzuki factory service manual and they only talk about the one drain plug in the changing the oil instructions. Iíve noted on these boards people complaining that the crankcase is over-filled when they put in the Suzuki-prescribed quantity of oil and you should only put in two quarts to keep from over-filling. Could it be the over-filling occurs because not all the oil was drained when pulling only the single plug? Should I follow the manualís directions or the parts guyís? If you pull both plugs, any danger of losing the prime in the oilpump with subsequent disasterous results?

Also: Is Dual-Star still in business? Iíve tried calling them for two days to order a skid plate and center stand; keep getting a recording that says theyíre either closed or too busy to talk to me, leave a message, then the recording says the mail box is full, canít leave a message, call later. Have called later for two days now, is getting tiresome. Is this typical of their customer interfacing? Any comments on their center stand and skid plate also appreciated. Thanks for your help in getting this old timer off to a good start with his new toy.
Errandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #15086
stvbeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Cruise Control

Quote:
Vista Cruise 7/8" Universal. I bought the wrong one the first time (single/dual cable) and could not make it work. I installed mine last week and have used it for 600 miles. Works great.

Regarding the cramp buster. I've used the large one 6000 miles (before the cruise control). No interference with my pro-bend guards.
stvbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #15087
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errandboy
The parts guy at the dealer sold me two drain plug gaskets
One is for the sump. To drain the oil. Did you get an oil filter?

The second is for the timing mark cover - you use it to set the engine position so you can adjust the valves.

I reused the old gaskets .. I keep 4 spare new ones (amonst other things like oil filterS, etc) ... take a look at them when they come off the bike and see if you can trust them again.

Quote:
Dual-Star scenter stand
Unobtainium. Don't bother. As in not avalible for the last few years, not likely to be avalible ever? Try SWMototeck (IIRC).
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #15088
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Is Dual-Star still in business? Iíve tried calling them for two days to order a skid plate and center stand; keep getting a recording that says theyíre either closed or too busy to talk to me, leave a message, then the recording says the mail box is full, canít leave a message, call later. Have called later for two days now, is getting tiresome. Is this typical of their customer interfacing? Any comments on their center stand and skid plate also appreciated. Thanks for your help in getting this old timer off to a good start with his new toy.
I had the same luck when trying to call Dual Star a few months ago. Keep trying, you will get thru eventually. The products they produce are generally good quality, but their customer relations leave a lot to be desired. They have a reputation for listing items online and taking orders for things they don't have on hand. They will take your money, then place you on a waiting list until they have enough orders in from others to manufacture a batch. If it were me, I'd call and confirm that the item wanted is in stock BEFORE sending them a dime.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #15089
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner

Unobtainium. Don't bother. As in not avalible for the last few years, not likely to be avalible ever? Try SWMototeck (IIRC).
Twisted Throttle carries that one, IIRC...
Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #15090
exboomer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
I just bought a new Ď07 DR650SE and am getting ready for the 600 mile oil change. The parts guy at the dealer sold me two drain plug gaskets and said I should drain the engine sump and the other plug (also on the crankcase) drains the oil filter housing or the oil radiator, he wasnít sure which. I have the Suzuki factory service manual and they only talk about the one drain plug in the changing the oil instructions. Iíve noted on these boards people complaining that the crankcase is over-filled when they put in the Suzuki-prescribed quantity of oil and you should only put in two quarts to keep from over-filling. Could it be the over-filling occurs because not all the oil was drained when pulling only the single plug? Should I follow the manualís directions or the parts guyís? If you pull both plugs, any danger of losing the prime in the oilpump with subsequent disasterous results?

Also: Is Dual-Star still in business? Iíve tried calling them for two days to order a skid plate and center stand; keep getting a recording that says theyíre either closed or too busy to talk to me, leave a message, then the recording says the mail box is full, canít leave a message, call later. Have called later for two days now, is getting tiresome. Is this typical of their customer interfacing? Any comments on their center stand and skid plate also appreciated. Thanks for your help in getting this old timer off to a good start with his new toy.
I would perform the oil & filter change just like it states in the Suzuki service manual. If your bike is under factory warranty, follow the manual. As for Dual Star, I have heard bad things about their customer service or lack of. I bought a center stand from Twisted Throttle (SW Motech). Very happy with it. Good luck with your DR
exboomer is offline   Reply With Quote