ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #21856
McB
Joe 40 ouncer
 
McB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: North Slope of the Flint Hills
Oddometer: 15,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrodes
i see. I suppose I can check the movement by putting pressure on the choke lever down at the carb? or is it pretty easy to disconnect the cable at the carb end, then move the choke manually to see if the range of motion matches that with cable attached?


This is the Procycle short cable, but the cold-start mechanism at the end of the cable is the same as stock. As you can see, it's attached and can't be easily removed from the cable. When the cold-start is engaged, the little thingamabob is pulled out from the carb, so yes, you should be able to push it back in with your fingers to make sure it's off. But it will happen again when you use the cold-start, or perhaps when the cable is moved.

McB screwed with this post 03-25-2009 at 12:19 PM
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #21857
McB
Joe 40 ouncer
 
McB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: North Slope of the Flint Hills
Oddometer: 15,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
What's that sonny? I cant hear you.

I found it hilarious that at the recent enduro I entered I was eligible for the "senior" class because I just turned 40. Does that mean I get senior discounts and can start collecting SS retirement benefits?
When I turned 54 last fall, I told my wife I was a year from qualifying for some of those senior housing complexes. She suggested I keep that option open.

McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #21858
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,122
one thing i noticed is the use of 5wt oil (stock is 10wt correct?). i'm sure this enables the oil to flow through the rod holes much easier and then this thing takes over and does something?

i'm sure there was r&d plenty of time to develope this, but the assy parts don't seem to add up to the $ asking price. if it does indeed work wonders then a reasonable price say $150 would entice a whole load of dr guys to go this route. it would then be sold in volume as a must do dr mod.

at the current $300 price most guys are looking at the pic and saying NFW i'm paying $300 for that thing! visually it doesn't even look like $300 bling. visually looks like a bunch of machined washers, rubber spacers, nuts & bolts from the hardware store. i'm sure it's much more but perceived product value to price ratio is way off here. i understand the theory of enertia valves from MTB suspension technology. i also know the technology does not cost alot to impliment.
am i missing something???

update:
"The concept behind the RIV is easy enough to understand. It's fundamentally sound from an engineering perspective, but it's taken 20 years and over 11 million dollars to see this idea executed to it's full potential. RICOR's patented RIV Piston is the end result of twenty years spent refining this technology. "

therein lies the problem. dude spend alot of time & $ (11 mill ???) to come up with this and wants that $ back. after 20yrs he's backed into a corner with $. sounds like an obsessed engineer type that doesn't give up. now the average joe doesn't give a rats ass what this guy did, he just wants reasonably priced mods for his reasonably priced bike & $300 isn't cutting it. i'm sure the harley guys don't flinch as the spend bigs $$$ nor would the bmw flinch, but dr guys are NOT known to be cost is no object kind of buyers. these are also available for sv650 & klr bike which again is the same type of buyer. the klr guys are notroriuosly cheap.

the big problem is this an expensive solution for a part used on cheap bikes (& there owners who use them). harleys are unique in that the use lower grade fork technology yet charge premium prices, so as the owners are use to spending $. can't think of any other bikes that have this paradox.

hopefully this guy can figure out something to help these sell. at $300 i don't see it flying of the shelf.



Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
With the exception of drilling the damper rod, this doesnt seem (at quick glance) to do anything much different than emulators. At twice the price? I'm not knocking it, just not quite grasping it due to the lack of info on the site. I'd like to see a pic of the opposite side of them to see how the oil is metered through the damper rod.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 03-25-2009 at 12:13 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #21859
996DL
Buell me
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: too far from the Rockies...
Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
With the exception of drilling the damper rod, this doesnt seem (at quick glance) to do anything much different than emulators. At twice the price? I'm not knocking it, just not quite grasping it due to the lack of info on the site. I'd like to see a pic of the opposite side of them to see how the oil is metered through the damper rod.
$298.94 USD !!! That's not a price, that's an insult. I wouldn't pay that much for a product like this, even if it turned the forks into Ohlins.

I would imagine he's setting the retail so high, to leave room for future vendors to make a profit.

Good luck to him.

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #21860
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer
 
Lil' Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Da Bronx, NYC
Oddometer: 3,798
I imagine the 5 weight oil is recommended to make up for not drilling the damper rods? I'm guessing here since there seems to be very limited info on how these work.

As far as the $298.94 price tag, click on the update price tab on the site for a surprise!
__________________
Steve
07 KLX250S w/300 kit, 05 DR650SE, 04 XT225
99 VFR800 w/870 kit, 96 GPz1100
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #21861
~AJ~
Adventure pooper
 
~AJ~'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 226
Here is the difference between these and the Emuators. The Emulators are a coil spring blow off valve that are a huge improvement over the stock damper rod. The Ricor Intiminators use modern deflected discs instead of a coil spring and an inertia sensitive valve that only opens when sensing a bump input from the wheel only. That allows the chassis response to be valved much stiffer to resist brake dive. The result is a more stable bike that doesn't transmit the 'jolts' into the handlebars and sticks much better to rough road surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
one thing i noticed is the use of 5wt oil (stock is 10wt correct?). i'm sure this enables the oil to flow through the rod holes much easier and then this thing takes over and does something?

i'm sure there was r&d plenty of time to develope this, but the assy parts don't seem to add up to the $ asking price. if it does indeed work wonders then a reasonable price say $150 would entice a whole load of dr guys to go this route. it would then be sold in volume as a must do dr mod.

at the current $300 price most guys are looking at the pic and saying NFW i'm paying $300 for that thing! visually it doesn't even look like $300 bling. visually looks like a bunch of machined washers, rubber spacers, nuts & bolts from the hardware store. i'm sure it's much more but perceived product value to price ratio is way off here. i understand the theory of enertia valves from MTB suspension technology. i also know the technology does not cost alot to impliment.
am i missing something???

update:
"The concept behind the RIV is easy enough to understand. It's fundamentally sound from an engineering perspective, but it's taken 20 years and over 11 million dollars to see this idea executed to it's full potential. RICOR's patented RIV Piston is the end result of twenty years spent refining this technology. "

therein lies the problem. dude spend alot of time & $ (11 mill ???) to come up with this and wants that $ back. after 20yrs he's backed into a corner with $. sounds like an obsessed engineer type that doesn't give up. now the average joe doesn't give a rats ass what this guy did, he just wants reasonably priced mods for his reasonably priced bike & $300 isn't cutting it. i'm sure the harley guys don't flinch as the spend bigs $$$ nor would the bmw flinch, but dr guys are NOT known to be cost is no object kind of buyers. these are also available for sv650 & klr bike which again is the same type of buyer. the klr guys are notroriuosly cheap.

the big problem is this an expensive solution for a part used on cheap bikes (& there owners who use them). harleys are unique in that the use lower grade fork technology yet charge premium prices, so as the owners are use to spending $. can't think of any other bikes that have this paradox.

hopefully this guy can figure out something to help these sell. at $300 i don't see it flying of the shelf.
__________________
FS: 2005 DR650... PM me.
~AJ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #21862
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
With the exception of drilling the damper rod, this doesnt seem (at quick glance) to do anything much different than emulators. At twice the price? I'm not knocking it, just not quite grasping it due to the lack of info on the site. I'd like to see a pic of the opposite side of them to see how the oil is metered through the damper rod.
"This is the only product on the market that is smart enough to know if the wheel is trying to move or if the chassis is trying to move."

So it's got low and high speed damping...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #21863
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer
 
sandwash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Flagstaff Az
Oddometer: 1,167
It is what it is.If you want play,you have to pay.It's kind of like modding the bike with a FCR-MX or TM 40.Not cheap but works wonders.
__________________
97dr650 FCR-MX pumper,plus other goodies
sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #21864
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer
 
Lil' Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Da Bronx, NYC
Oddometer: 3,798
RT Emulators use a coil spring over a shim to control the compression damping. It's adjustable. It seems the Intiminators also are adjustable but I'm not sure what a "modern deflected disc" is. Sounds like a shim to me.
Again, I'm not knocking the product but it seems tough to justify that asking price for something that doesnt seem to do anything different than the emulators that are already on the market, for half the price.

If they accomplish similar results to what a cartridge emulator does, it should be competitively priced. Just my $.02.

I've used emulators on a few of my bikes, I know they work as advertised. Reading some of the info on the Ricor Intiminators doesnt really tell me how they accomplish what they intend to do. Terminolgy like "motion sensing valve" is hard to swallow with a mechanical device.
The site's FAQ section is blank as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
"This is the only product on the market that is smart enough to know if the wheel is trying to move or if the chassis is trying to move."


So it's got low and high speed damping...

Emulators control low and high speed damping as well. With small bumps (low speed damping) the oil goes through the small hole in the emulator, bigger bumps (high speed damping) blows the valve (shim) open and the preload on the spring controls the high speed damping.
__________________
Steve
07 KLX250S w/300 kit, 05 DR650SE, 04 XT225
99 VFR800 w/870 kit, 96 GPz1100
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #21865
Raoul Duke
By Popular Demand
 
Raoul Duke's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Johnston, Iowa
Oddometer: 759
Alright - I'm sure there's an answer somewhere in this GIGANTIC thread or out there via Google, but I haven't been able to find it.

What are my options/limitations if I want to install the BBQ rack AND some sort of rack on the side to keep softbags off my tires and exhaust?

Can I do both? Recommendation?

Thanks!
Raoul Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #21866
bumpathump
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 327
McB -I'm retired and closing in on 69. This morning my wife asked me what I had planned for the day. I said, "Nothing." She said, "That's what you did yesterday." I said, "Yeah, but I didn't finish.":-).Rick-------------> When I turned 54 last fall, I told my wife I was a year from qualifying for> some of those senior housing complexes. She suggested I keep that option> open.
bumpathump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #21867
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
You old farts seem to be repeating yourselves.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #21868
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
When I turned 54 last fall, I told my wife I was a year from qualifying for some of those senior housing complexes. She suggested I keep that option open.

I already do qualify for those senior housings.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #21869
~AJ~
Adventure pooper
 
~AJ~'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 226
The Intiminator costs at least twice as much to make as the Emulator. Less labor is needed with it, no damper rod drilling. As far as the cost comment, the company that licensed this added up all the money spent by the developer, Edelbrock, GM/Delphi Chassis, them and it came to the high dollar amount stated.

As far as the cost, I know that Ricor is admittedly going after the markets were the customers are willing to pay for the product. The only reason they have a DR650 version is because of the owners appreciation of the DR650's engineering. In his opinion (and yes, I spoke with him) an upgraded DR650 is the best of the best adventure bike, period, if you are going to ride off road. Power (modified) to weight with a counter balancer, rear cush hub, reliable air/oil cooled, 'big' seat, reliable. I don't get the over 450lb 'adventure bikes' at all if the trip includes enjoying off road. If you ride a conventional (non damper rod) front fork bike, you will find the set up you have works better than upgrading to a high end conventional set up.
__________________
FS: 2005 DR650... PM me.

~AJ~ screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 09:54 AM
~AJ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #21870
Django Loco
Banned
 
Django Loco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: California
Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
I pumped 5.3 gallons into my IMS tank yesterday. That was with running 13 miles on reserve.
That's about what I put into mine. Over time the IMS stretches a bit. I put about 5.2 in mine. You should run your reserve until the bike runs dry. Carry a gallon or two jug along. If you move your fuel inlet tube and re-route fuel hose your reserve should go from about 15 miles to 35 miles. Remember you can tip over the bike and get a few more float bowls full in a pinch.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014