User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 05:10 AM   #21856
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,860
Rooster Crow

Mine definitely crows on cold starts; it doesn't bother me as long as you all tell me it's nothing to worry about. I saw this on the Yahoo Group and wondered if it's something us crowers should do:

Re: [DR650] Bearing squeal when starting
remove end cap off starter ( dont take off complete starter ) fill up bronze bush with oil and let it sit overnight to soak in , tip oil out next day , wipe with rag , put a little amount of good quality greese on bush and reassemble. I also drilled a little hole thru from out side caseing so can give it a squart of crc if needed Cheers Toddy

What do you think?

Sarah
p.s. Posted on TT too
Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #21857
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Cee Baileys

A search came up empty, but I thought I'd ask to make sure. Has anybody tried the Baja Designs shield?

http://www.ceebaileys.com/baja_design/index.html

I called CB and they guy on the phone said he'd never heard of one on a DR650. Thanks

Sarah
Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #21858
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
you a bend over and open your wallet kinda guy?

i spent $ of springs & emulators because i know it works.
this product, at this point, is kinda fuzzy.
If I wanted them I would buy them and not bitch about it.You don't hear me bitching/crying about the price.If you want them,buy them and not bitch about the price
Old 03-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #21859
bspendergrass
n00b

Oddometer: 2
New to forum

Hello to everyone. Just joined yesterday. Forgive me for not wanting to read thru 1400+ pages. I have a 95 DR650. I love the bike, and it has very few miles, so I really don't see replacing it. There's just almost no aftermarket support for the pre-96 models. Does anyone know of anybody who makes accessories/upgrades for them. Specifically, I'd like to find some pannier mounts and boxes for it. Thanks, and I'll probably eventually get thru all the pages.
bspendergrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #21860
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 667
I read the site on those emulator copy valves. Interesting and somewhat valid if the design is done right. First impression is that they did not get their 11 million dollars and many years of work worth when it comes to product. I would hate to be the one calculating the ROI on those baby's!

I have thought about doing something similar but quit because of how well the RaceTech stuff works and that spending much more than the $150 that the Emulators cost, real cartridges would have to be the way to go.

On the positive side (based on what I have gleaned from reading and looking) is that they are using some type of restriction (likely a shim or spring) in place of the Racetech check valve plate on the rebound flow direction. This would let them use 5W oil and making the existing damping holes (the manufacturer indicates that no damper rod mods are needed) less effective. When I looked at doing this, I worried that the damper rod system would move too large a volume of oil to really control with the valve areas available in the space. At the end of the day, we need to turn energy into heat. Remember folks, I do not have 11 million dollars for research so I could be missing something.

When we look at the fork forces on the dyno, even with 5wt oil, damper rod forks are making high forces (more than we want) at higher velocity's of damper movement. The system they describe leaves all the stock damping in place and it only becomes slightly less effective with the relatively small viscosity change. With an emulator install we are able to take most of the pure viscous damping profile out of the equation by modifying the damper Rods.

I can see the advantage of a drop in mod that takes little to no work but the physics of the stock damper rod are not going away.

We do suggest using the Emulator valves with stock springs on some DS bikes if the rider weight and usage correspond to the spring rate (light riders on the KLR is a great example of this) Our stock DR springs are very progressive (opposed to the straight rate springs in the KLR). A progressive rate spring is a compromise and I can never get the action I want through the full travel with them. We make variable rate springs for some bikes but they tend to be made in a very narrow range of rate and are an admitted compromise with the aim of making a good upgrade affordable and also to be a little more adaptable to big touring loads.

Spring rates and matching them to the riders needs are key to a good bike set up.

The whole chassis movement vs wheel movement is highly debatable. looks to me like the claim comes from a mass being installed over the control valve. Most of what we do and what Ohlins and Penske does is based on getting rid of internal mass effecting damping.

The proof of the pudding is to do side be side testing of two DRs set up in an optimal way with both systems.

I'm game, anyone want to play?
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #21861
comes naturally
renewed hope

Oddometer: 1,894
Quieter?

Does anyone know which is quieter on a dr, the FMF Q or the GSXR can?
comes naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #21862
greer
Beastly Adventurer

From everything I've read, the FMF is considered a loud pipe. I have the GSXR exhaust and do not consider it loud at all.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #21863
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspendergrass
Hello to everyone. Just joined yesterday. Forgive me for not wanting to read thru 1400+ pages. I have a 95 DR650. I love the bike, and it has very few miles, so I really don't see replacing it. There's just almost no aftermarket support for the pre-96 models. Does anyone know of anybody who makes accessories/upgrades for them. Specifically, I'd like to find some pannier mounts and boxes for it. Thanks, and I'll probably eventually get thru all the pages.
Here's the pre-'96 thread in case you've not seen it:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61568

Sarah
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #21864
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspendergrass

Hi, and welcome. As vast as this thread is, there isnt too much info here on pre- 96 DR650's. Here's a thread on the previous generation models. Hopefully that will have the info you're looking for.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #21865
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick
I read the site on those emulator copy valves. Interesting and somewhat valid if the design is done right. First impression is that they did not get their 11 million dollars and many years of work worth when it comes to product. I would hate to be the one calculating the ROI on those baby's!

I have thought about doing something similar but quit because of how well the RaceTech stuff works and that spending much more than the $150 that the Emulators cost, real cartridges would have to be the way to go.

I was hoping you'd chime in on this, Rick. I think that no matter how well they work, the average customer, especially in today's financial climate, will opt for the proven emulators vs spending twice as much, even if the said product is better. Sure, there are those out there that will spend top dollar on any upgrade for their bike, but most of us will spend a bit smarter, and choose a product that gives us some value for our money.
Time will tell....
Old 03-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #21866
Kurlee
2009: A Bike Odyssey

Oddometer: 1,929
I just put on the Eibach springs, with a half inch more preload and 100ml more 10-30WT oil. I just added some more oil to the red stuff that was already inside. It does make a big difference but I am still somewhat skeptical of the people who say it is one of the best mods. Maybe I will think diffrently after 100 miles or so but so far I'm glad I went for only the springs instrad of dropping $250 on the whole deal.

Did I do it wrong? Add more oil? and there was air pressure in the shock when I removed it, how do I pressurize the air inside?
Kurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #21867
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlee
I just put on the Eibach springs, with a half inch more preload and 100ml more 10-30WT oil. I just added some more oil to the red stuff that was already inside. It does make a big difference but I am still somewhat skeptical of the people who say it is one of the best mods. Maybe I will think diffrently after 100 miles or so but so far I'm glad I went for only the springs instrad of dropping $250 on the whole deal.

Did I do it wrong? Add more oil? and there was air pressure in the shock when I removed it, how do I pressurize the air inside?

Are we talking forks or shock? You mention one, but describe the other. If it's the fork you are talking about, a straight oil is what you should be using, not a 10-30wt oil. Fill to a level of 6.5 inches from the top of the fork tube, fully compressed, springs out. You can add a little bit more later if you like, but not more than an inch.
If you're talking about the shock, and you took it apart, the nitrogen needs to be refilled. I'm not sure what the specs are for the shock pressure.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #21868
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 926
Regarding the "Intimidators"

I've used the Edelbrock IAS Shock absorbers with Ricor technology in them. On a 1994 suburban, they were way smoother than the Bilsteins that were factory installed and also had good cornering handling.

On another note, Could I just remove the air filter access cover instead of swiss-cheesing the airbox? It should work, as long as I'm not crossing deep streams and rivers, right?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #21869
Kurlee
2009: A Bike Odyssey

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
Are we talking forks or shock? You mention one, but describe the other. If it's the fork you are talking about, a straight oil is what you should be using, not a 10-30wt oil. Fill to a level of 6.5 inches from the top of the fork tube, fully compressed, springs out. You can add a little bit more later if you like, but not more than an inch.
If you're talking about the shock, and you took it apart, the nitrogen needs to be refilled. I'm not sure what the specs are for the shock pressure.
Sorry I was talking about the forks. The oil level is waaaaaaay lower than 6.5 inches, I'm glad I didn't use a lot fo the 10-30. I'm off to find some straight 10
Kurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #21870
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlee
Sorry I was talking about the forks. The oil level is waaaaaaay lower than 6.5 inches, I'm glad I didn't use a lot fo the 10-30. I'm off to find some straight 10
You can use automatic transmission fluid if you cant find some fork oil locally. I've had good results with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Not sure on the exact weight of it, I've heard 7.5 or 10wt but it works well.