User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #21856
shotglass
When in doubt, gas it

Oddometer: 31
Ebay racks!
Valmis: Heres a pic of both. The ebay side racks are from a seller called Losi3030. Just search dr650 racks ($95). I have no connection to this seller.
Attached Images

shotglass screwed with this post 03-25-2009 at 05:15 PM
shotglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #21857
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,602
It's time.

Utah Bones screwed with this post 02-02-2012 at 07:32 PM
Utah Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #21858
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
That's about what I put into mine. Over time the IMS stretches a bit. I put about 5.2 in mine. You should run your reserve until the bike runs dry. Carry a gallon or two jug along. If you move your fuel inlet tube and re-route fuel hose your reserve should go from about 15 miles to 35 miles. Remember you can tip over the bike and get a few more float bowls full in a pinch.
Yep, before I left work to fill it up, I leaned it all the way over to the left in the parking lot. That got me just to the top of the reserve tube on the petcock. The right side of the tank was mostly empty.

I also rotated my carb inlet straight down and added an inline filter, so hopefully that increased the reserve range too.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #21859
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AJ~
The only reason they have a DR650 version is because of the owners appreciation of the DR650's engineering. In his opinion (and yes, I spoke with him) an upgraded DR650 is the best of the best adventure bike
Your install got me curious so I googled and found a thread on a harley forum about these and it's amazing what one of the guys who rides a dual sport is saying. This stuff had some consecutive rally car wins in the dakar, and the inventor owns an XR650L and a DR650, i'm definately interested. Check out how the chasis hardly moves in the vid below from the same guys who developed these things ... or maybe it's just hype

RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #21860
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotglass
Ebay racks!
Valmis: Heres a pic of both. The ebay side racks are from a seller called Losi3030. Just search dr650 racks ($95). I have no connection to this seller.
Perfect - that is exactly what I needed to know - and the picture helps too.

Thanks!
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #21861
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,660

sale price is $310.
man this guy is a business machine.
charge more on your sale price.
i'm sure they're flying off the shelf even faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
I imagine the 5 weight oil is recommended to make up for not drilling the damper rods? I'm guessing here since there seems to be very limited info on how these work.

As far as the $298.94 price tag, click on the update price tab on the site for a surprise!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #21862
eakins
Butler Maps

you can use the bbq rack & dirtbags at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmis
Alright - I'm sure there's an answer somewhere in this GIGANTIC thread or out there via Google, but I haven't been able to find it.

What are my options/limitations if I want to install the BBQ rack AND some sort of rack on the side to keep softbags off my tires and exhaust?

Can I do both? Recommendation?

Thanks!
Butler Maps website:
Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #21863
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870
Emulators control low and high speed damping as well. With small bumps (low speed damping) the oil goes through the small hole in the emulator, bigger bumps (high speed damping) blows the valve (shim) open and the preload on the spring controls the high speed damping.
But the low speed damping is controlled by the oil viscosity as opposed to part of the shim stack.

Also with those expensive ones you can return the forks to stock.

I'm going to get some RaceTech Emulators myself.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #21864
eakins
Butler Maps

?
besides harley, he's got them for klr (cheapest fuckers going) & sv650 (a cheap & fun street bike). he's going after some of the most value oriented motorcycle buyers and expecting top $???

i have nothing against his invention. would just like to see some more solid engineering detail as to justify the price.

guess yuppie harley guys just open their wallets and take your word for it & hardcore harley guy tell you fuck off and spend that $ on beer.

maybe some backdoor valued pricing for adv riders might spur some interest.
sale prices more expensive the regular price do not.
does he want to sit there a wank off about his wonderfull invention or move a bunch of em to dr owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AJ~
The Intiminator costs at least twice as much to make as the Emulator. Less labor is needed with it, no damper rod drilling. As far as the cost comment, the company that licensed this added up all the money spent by the developer, Edelbrock, GM/Delphi Chassis, them and it came to the high dollar amount stated.

As far as the cost, I know that Ricor is admittedly going after the markets were the customers are willing to pay for the product. The only reason they have a DR650 version is because of the owners appreciation of the DR650's engineering. In his opinion (and yes, I spoke with him) an upgraded DR650 is the best of the best adventure bike, period, if you are going to ride off road. Power (modified) to weight with a counter balancer, rear crush hub, reliable air/oil cooled, 'big' seat, reliable. I don't get the over 450lb 'adventure bikes' at all if the trip includes enjoying off road. If you ride a conventional (non damper rod) front fork bike, you will find the set up you have works better than upgrading to a high end conventional set up.
Butler Maps website:
Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #21865
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash
It is what it is.If you want play,you have to pay.It's kind of like modding the bike with a FCR-MX or TM 40.Not cheap but works wonders.
you a bend over and open your wallet kinda guy?

i spent $ of springs & emulators because i know it works.
this product, at this point, is kinda fuzzy.
Butler Maps website:
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #21866
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
That's about what I put into mine. Over time the IMS stretches a bit. I put about 5.2 in mine.
Mine seems to be a 5.2 as well.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #21867
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70
Not really. Specialized mountanbikes at the top end, more than a good used DR, have a smart shock on the rear suspension that only compresses when hitting bumps but not from the down force generated when you pedal.
So very stiff low speed damping and supple high speed?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:51 AM   #21868
tjoseph
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,924
v. Emulators?

It could be that the product is everything it claims, but I'd prefer to have a full-test done by a reputable publication, with actual performance measurements. Basically the Gold Valves Emulators appear to be the same technology. Their "shim" is so thin it both deflects and moves the spring, so I'm not sure of the difference between the Emulator's technology and a "modern deflected disk." Beyond that, I'm very wary of "anti-dive" technology. Way back in the early to mid-1980s all the major manufacturers got into "anti-dive forks" that restrained dive under braking. A bunch of lawsuits later they all got out of it. Unless you're real careful, they end up being disasterous if you have to brake on a bumpy downhill. The damping restriction can turn the front end into a pogo stick on bumps if you're simultaneously braking.
tjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:10 AM   #21869
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,656
Rooster Crow

Mine definitely crows on cold starts; it doesn't bother me as long as you all tell me it's nothing to worry about. I saw this on the Yahoo Group and wondered if it's something us crowers should do:

Re: [DR650] Bearing squeal when starting
remove end cap off starter ( dont take off complete starter ) fill up bronze bush with oil and let it sit overnight to soak in , tip oil out next day , wipe with rag , put a little amount of good quality greese on bush and reassemble. I also drilled a little hole thru from out side caseing so can give it a squart of crc if needed Cheers Toddy

What do you think?

Sarah
p.s. Posted on TT too
Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #21870
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,656
Cee Baileys

A search came up empty, but I thought I'd ask to make sure. Has anybody tried the Baja Designs shield?

http://www.ceebaileys.com/baja_design/index.html

I called CB and they guy on the phone said he'd never heard of one on a DR650. Thanks

Sarah