Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #226
CuzinMike
Treedragger

Oddometer: 306
I found out an interesting bit of DR trivia today, the bike handles much better when the front end is straight! Duh.

Ever since my little spill in Alabama last month, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133846
I've felt like the bike was handling a little wonky, and after riding about 100 miles yesterday I knew something was up, the bike just didn't want to hold a line in a turn. I figured it was just me, riding a little uneasy following a crash, but still, after nearly 10,000 miles you get familiar with how your bike should handle...

Anyway, today, just for giggles I decided to loosen up everything on the front-end, collapse it with tie-downs, and torque everything back to spec.

One word: Wow! It's like I got my bike back! The thing falls into turns now, and holds a steady line even when I'm pushing, just like it used to.

So, a bit of advice: If you ride off-road a lot, or have crashed recently, check your front-end. A degree or two can make a world of difference!

CuzinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:21 AM   #227
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
I've had my '06 DR for almost 3 weeks and have put close to 500 miles on her, half of them dirt. Been riding since 1972, and have owned a lot of bikes. This one is a winner - the DR is turning out to be the most entertaining and versatile motorcycle I have owned. It outcorners my WeeStrom in the asphalt twisties and is more fun and more comfortable than the DL. Off road, there is no comparison - the DR feels like a dirt bike and the WeeStrom like a fat pig.

I did a 225 mile ride yesterday on the DR (with the stock seat), including 100 miles of dirt. We rode everything: back roads, mountain twisties, gravel, dirt, sand, mud, steep rutted and rocky single track goat trails, we even jumped water breaks where I caught air - the DR handled everything really well. I felt like I was 14 again, riding my 1972 Yamaha mini-enduro yesterday jumping those water breaks. I was on the bike for 10 hours, and got home with a huge smile on my face, feeling tired but better than if I had done that many hours on the WeeStrom.

I like the DR so much, that I sold the WeeStrom on Saturday. I'll be riding the DR on street and dirt from now on, with a gigantic grin the whole time.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:37 AM   #228
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Me Too!

It's kind of funny reading these post. I took the DR to Mexico in March. We rode a mixture of dirt, rocks & pavement. The bike was awesome in all of the conditions. I found it handling so well on the paved twisties (even with knobbies) that I kept wondering why I had the RT at home? Of course the RT was my traveling & 2-up bike. Well last month I totaled the RT and needless to say I won't be replacing it. The DR isn't the fastest bike I've ridden but it is probably the best "do all" bike I've owned.

DS
Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #229
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S
It's kind of funny reading these post. I took the DR to Mexico in March. We rode a mixture of dirt, rocks & pavement. The bike was awesome in all of the conditions. I found it handling so well on the paved twisties (even with knobbies) that I kept wondering why I had the RT at home? Of course the RT was my traveling & 2-up bike. Well last month I totaled the RT and needless to say I won't be replacing it. The DR isn't the fastest bike I've ridden but it is probably the best "do all" bike I've owned.

DS
totalled your RT?! damn, I hope you weren't hurt too bad! What happened?

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #230
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash
totalled your RT?! damn, I hope you weren't hurt too bad! What happened?
I just got bruised up, nothing major. I low sided in a tight right hander and slid under the dual wheels of a box truck coming in the other direction. The bike took the hit and then I was thrown off. I knew it was gonna be a bad day when I got a speeding ticket that morning But hey the RT was worth more totaled than if I had sold it so it all turns out in the end
Old 06-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #231
Starky14
Yowie Bait

Oddometer: 242
Thumb DR 650 handling

I have a 2006 DR 650 which I have now put 3500km on and is bike number 14 of my life. I have put 15mm spacers in the forks and gone up a weight in fork oil. The preload on the shock has been wound up as well. My problem is that on loose gravel roads the front end does not give me great confidence that it will hang on going into the corners. It is a lot better since I had the work done on the suspension but I think I should be able to make it even better. I am 83kg, 180cm tall and 52 year old if that helps. From that info I want you to understand that I don't want the bike to go like a rocket, I want it to instill confidence in the rider.

What does your collective wisdom's suggest. Other then this one issue I love the bike.

It is very dry here in south east Queensland at the moment so that does't help either with grip.

Great to see so much info on the site. Please be nice in your replys as I already know my riding skills need improvement.

Starky
Starky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #232
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
Welcome aboard Starky! Sounds like you are on the right track with your suspension upgrades. Depending on the length of your rides, a tank and seat are oftyen the first upgrades done. That pretty well covers the big stuff, jetting is another route to free hp...Hang out here and you will see the stuff that appeals to you..

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:56 AM   #233
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,061
gday starky
what tyres do you have.the standard death wings??
i have a 2004 with just under 7000KMs i have run MT21 perellis(spelling?)
there good but still gravel is a pain still the grip
i have raced motar days on the MT21s and scraped the pegs
been a bloody good tyre
i have yet to do the suspension im going to get racetek springs and emulators need$$$$
im 120KGs reasy to ride 175cms there abouts
have fun all
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 AM   #234
Stackator
F800GS goodness

Oddometer: 1,343
Suspension

G'day Starky14,

I left a message for Terry Hays to give me a call (apparently he has gone riding in Alice Springs this week). My mate has had several bikes done by him and he is rated highly among others within this site.

I am looking at getting fork springs/emulators/fork oil sorted, then rear preload if not a new Eibach spring and adapter. I am 6 foot 4" & 98KG so kinda on the heavy side for stock suspension. My mate said that replacing the fork springs has saved him many times especially when landing heavily on the front.

Terry has a test track out the back and he dials your suspension in to the rider's style, weight and type of riding done. I guess you can't ask for better than that?

Perhaps he can recommend a setup for you? I just don't want to go any old bike shop to be sold what they have in stock or a 'rough' idea about.

Terry Hay's Shock Treatment
Wallacia Greendale RD 2745
02) 47739115

If anybody can recommend another guy in Sydney I would be interested - keen as to get my suspension done!

Enjoy your new horse I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starky14
I have a 2006 DR 650 which I have now put 3500km on and is bike number 14 of my life. I have put 15mm spacers in the forks and gone up a weight in fork oil. The preload on the shock has been wound up as well. My problem is that on loose gravel roads the front end does not give me great confidence that it will hang on going into the corners. It is a lot better since I had the work done on the suspension but I think I should be able to make it even better. I am 83kg, 180cm tall and 52 year old if that helps. From that info I want you to understand that I don't want the bike to go like a rocket, I want it to instill confidence in the rider.

What does your collective wisdom's suggest. Other then this one issue I love the bike.

It is very dry here in south east Queensland at the moment so that does't help either with grip.

Great to see so much info on the site. Please be nice in your replys as I already know my riding skills need improvement.

Starky

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #235
wide open
in second gear

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S
I just got bruised up, nothing major. I low sided in a tight right hander and slid under the dual wheels of a box truck coming in the other direction. The bike took the hit and then I was thrown off. I knew it was gonna be a bad day when I got a speeding ticket that morning But hey the RT was worth more totaled than if I had sold it so it all turns out in the end
That's the most unusual sales method I've heard yet! Makes me shiver to think about it. Very glad it was just bruises, keemosabe!

Now - you guys are hurting me with this thread! There's a nice yeller DR at my local dealer that's starting to call my name!

Can you help with two questions:
First, what would be the most important mods to get done at the dealer as part of the initial deal? Will be riding 35 miles to the dirt, then lots of eastern US woods riding. I'm thinking rim locks, knobbies, some good hand guards (Acerbis?) and a smaller counter sprocket? What else?

Second, what changes make the biggest improvements in weight? How much does each save?
For example, how much do you save by going to one of the plastic tanks?

(OK, that's more than two questions.)

Thanks mucho in advance!
wide open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:46 AM   #236
Dr_beat
Bunyip Chaser

Oddometer: 159
hey stackator have you got a price on that yet. I need to do something like that to mine its a bit too soft all around, especially on the front. Im going to try and fiddle with it and do some trial & error to find a good combo, to try and avoid new springs if possible. Im 85kg and 6'
Im intersest how you go with it.

P.s are you still going to the wattagans this weekend, we need the DR force!
Dr_beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:53 AM   #237
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,061
well i dont know the weight differents from steel to IMS plastic

but this is my mods
IMS tank
staintune exhaust
14/46 sprockets
MT21s
renthal bars
Acerbis hand guards
factory bash plate

chucked the side stand switch helmet lock
and changed the micro switch on the carby so the arm will not touch the switch! its a rev limiter
i dont have the$$$$$ for the suspension mods i will do them one day!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #238
Dr_beat
Bunyip Chaser

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide open
...what would be the most important mods to get done at the dealer as part of the initial deal?
Defenatly get some proper tyres, the trailwings (deathwings) are slippery off road, but ok on road. Most people have found the perellis MT21 are good I personly like the Dunlop D606 - its a good knobbie more dirt than road 10/90

a 14t CS would be a good idea if you are doing a lot of bush riding as the stock gearing is tall.

That yella fella must be on 05 runnout special?, the 06 models are blue (and look better )
Dr_beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #239
6Speed4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
screw this?

ok, only way i can figure this one out would be to get a whole slew of different bolts...or just ask

What size bolt does the bash plate use in the rear? I'm asking about the two holes just behind the pegs, what threading and bolt size is it?

Kind of a random, lame question, but I would really appreciate if someone knew.
6Speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #240
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starky14

Starky
You're forks are most likely going down and staying down and the bike is wobbling, no?

I would NOT put heavier oil in the DR forks. They have too much rebound already with the 10 wt oil. I'd buy a set of fork springs from Jesse Kientz and use 10WT oil with the level set at 6 inches. Get a heavier shock spring too like a 7.2 kg the high preload on the stock shock will not help either.

I Run 5wt oil in my forks but I have a revalve. I like the springier action of these forks far better than the stockers which would pack all the time..I cant imagine what 15 wt oil would feel like.

Good luck
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote