Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #42451
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc1
Maybe a "flatspot" would be more accurate. I drive a fuel injected v strom 650 alot and I am most likely just accustomed to the instant response on the strom? If I am am going 50 mph on the dr650 and I quickley twist the throttle to increase speed there is a slight pause before aqcceleration occurs. Very slight? Is that normal with that bike? it is new with less than 1000 miles and fully stock.

dogdoc
i've eleminated that with my stock carb setup
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635786
and i know how a strom runs.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #42452
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Rasthomas, You are certainly a lucky fellow, get to ride a nice DR650, and has a wife that may read ADVrider.

It is always good to see someone who plans ahead.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:41 AM   #42453
robert taylor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hell hath no fury like.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8
Yes,I am one and he totally !@#$ed it up.
Phil,be very careful if you are talking about Robert Taylor,he has no idea how to set a shock up for offroad.
The Ohlins he did for me was a drama from beginning to end,I run it with both adjusters,comp and rebound run backed right off to.
He does not stand behind his product.
He screwed a O-Ring up putting it together and guess who had to pay the AU$65 to send it to Steve Cramer for repair (Would not hold gas when it arrived,another AU$40 wasted)
Total cost on the Ohlins alone was way over AU$2000 by the time I had sorted his incompetence and lack of accountibility.
He is a pompous fool.
I should have known better when he devoted threads to himself on the KB site..

When I get a chance I will send the Ohlins to Steve Cramer to be valved properly.

Edit.. I will add this only as a warning to others so they do not have to go though what I had to.
Substandard work
Payed for post with tracking (NZ$90) but the tracking was not supplied,a search found he had time to be posting during work hours on the KB site the same day it was posted... I was not told,I asked how the job was going weeks later only be be told it had been sent weeks before with an over inflated value which meant I got reamed on duty.
I asked for set up information,ignored ??
The very expensive shock along with the dearest Racetech springs and emulators in the world were sent in thin bubble rap bag in a brown paper bag
I payed near the full price up front as a sign of goodwill.
There is plenty more........It was a joke start to finish......arrogant would be an understatement.

Phil,if that is the cost now then I payed NZ GST by the look of it even though a export order.

I wish now I had followed up on the DR650 Wilbers.
Multi adjustable with hydraulic preload and remote reservoir from the German DR specilists.
I still might get one.

To give you an idea the 08 Cape York trip was with another DR650 which had intimidators and a stock shock with a KTM spring.
It was superior to my Ohlins equipped bike on corrugations ...similar when the adjusters were wound off,but still a hard ride.

I was totally unaware that this website existed until a long standing and always largely satisfied customer of mine informed me of this very toxic post bagging me and my means of income. Not content to have bagged me on another forum this same character has now pounced on an opportunity to do so on this site and would have been mindful that I may have been totally oblivious to the fact with therefore no opportunity to defend accusations that are somewhat embellished.

I am not denying that conveyance of a custom built shock to the customers residence was less than perfect. A staff member wrapped the parcel and not well enough so by all accounts and arguably the instructions were maybe not as clear as they could have been. But I also believe the postal authories in Australia were less than diligent or less than interested in their duties, exacerbated by the customers location. Not really blaming him for living in a remote area and Im not going to expend further time on who said what.

The order was an export one and was therefore exempt of NZ taxes but liable to Aussie taxes, all fair enough. Valuation was as per invoice cost and we do not falsify or provide secondary lower valued invoices that are tantamount to fraud. Here in NZ a major US based suspension supplier and its main NZ recipient are currently under investigation by NZ customs for supplying false underwritten invoices. I will have no part in such practice.

Contrary to the customers assertion I did not screw up an o ring. The gas cap o rings in the smaller 302 series of Ohlins reservoirs are sometimes a little tenuous of sealing and we have had the odd one lose gas pressure over time and over the years. Any Ohlins distributor / service agent if being totally candid will own up to that fact. And Im sure a number of readers of this thread will have had a similiar issue. Of course this just had to happen to a shock that we exported, Murphys law. In fact this issue made me look for an alternative o ring of the same material spec but with slightly more assembly crush to preclude this ever happening again, because sincerely I was proffessionally upset that this had happened to especially an export shock. And as has been clearly demonstrated the customers reaction is no less than quite nasty. No business wishes for such scenarios.

If anyone wants the spec of that o ring I will happily oblige.

What really riles me is the comment 'he has no idea how to set a shock up for offroad'' THAT IS TOTALLY BELOW THE BELT. Literally dozens of regional and National NZ junior and senior motocross champions would beg to differ, as do many adventure riders who we continue to supply shocks for.

Point of fact we have supplied and post Ohlins discontinuing to build we have custom built a good number of these DR650 shocks. All with the generic Ohlins valving spec as per the spec card. Absolutely no complaints at all until I heard about this complaint, and only secondhand. I have just looked at the DR650 Ohlins spec card and have figured why it could be a little wanting over continuous corrugations. The rebound stack has a preloading ring shim set that raises the opening pressure and generates a lot of initial low speed rebound force. So it ''holds'' a lot before opening. Id be looking at removing this ring shim and adding a little bit of high speed rebound shimming to restore what would be lost. Clearly also the compression shimming either needs lightening a touch or the main spring rate reduced a little.

If I was on the spot armed with springs and valving shims I could nail the problem but that is of course impractical given the geographical disposition. If this customer was in the same country then I would turn up to sort it / individualise it to the application in spite of all the nasty and frankly libellous public comments. ( And if these continue I will consider seeking some form of legal redress.)

As for the emulators so much depends on the quality of self instal, carried out by this customer. We instal these on an almost daily basis and theres a lot of attention to detail ( not mentioned in the self instal instructions ) that can make or break the job. Oil viscosity selection is critical to tune rebound return speed, aside from re-engineering the many tolerancing and alignment issues inside damper rod type forks. There are also various optional poppet springs and preload settings and you can also play with bypass bleed hole size.

We have also tested Intiminators, they have merit but theres also a major functional flaw with them that we have identified, in certain applications.

Bitching and moaning about it on public forums is not good form, especially if the company being bagged may never be aware of same. Nor has been given the opportunity to somehow assist in improving function. Also given that certain assertions are grossly unfair. How would this customer feel if I found out how he derives his income and announced publicly to all and sundry not to deal with him?

Now that I am actually aware of the functional issue on continuous washboard surfaces Im going to simulate that as much as is possible here in NZ in tests with my current customer awaiting build of a DR650 shock. This will take a little time but I will post the results here on this forum at a later date.

Back to the main spring there is a possibility it might be a touch too heavy. The rate selected was determined by information supplied by the customer but in the real world its still subject to final test given the variables of disposition of load, personal preference, surfaces predominantly ridden over etc.

I am decent to people that are decent to me, if the customer reminds me of the numbers on the side of the current fitted spring and agrees that maybe a lighter spring is going to improve the ride quality then I am happy to send him one at totally my cost.

I am giving Phil a special price because he is a long standing customer who has directed more than a few customers my way. Like nearly all businesses we prefer happy customers.
robert taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:17 AM   #42454
Sydney Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Anyone with comments on these two screen?

Howdy,

I am looking at either;

http://www.screensforbikes.com/gallery/suzuki/dr-650/

or;

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=572

... and I wondered if anyone has any recommendations?

I am 6' 3" and I really need a wind screen based on 10 days of recent riding.

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has about either screen.

Tony
Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 AM   #42455
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP?
Rasthomas, You are certainly a lucky fellow, get to ride a nice DR650, and has a wife that may read ADVrider.

It is always good to see someone who plans ahead.
I do have a great wife of twenty years that knows I appreciate beautiful women! And she doesn't read this site. I see you are in the Philippines, my wife is from Thailand, where I lived for quite some time.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #42456
DuckWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Rider
Howdy,

I am looking at either;

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=572

... and I wondered if anyone has any recommendations?

I am 6' 3" and I really need a wind screen based on 10 days of recent riding.

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has about either screen.

Tony
I have this screen and it is very well made and does an adequate job. I'm shorter though at around 5'9" and the wind hits the top of my helmet. I would prefer it a little bit higher or a different angle (the brackets are different than shown in the photo you have) so it may not work for you and it is not adjustable. I had a little bit of trouble with installation but it wasn't too bad.

This is a new option that is similar, but supposedly offers some adjustment.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.499/.f

DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #42457
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Anybody ever try to rejuvenate their rear hub cushion drive inserts? Maybe boil in water and then quench in ice water similar to o-rings? Or soak in a solution to slightly expand rubber without softening it? If you did this and it was succesful please post how long the rejuvenation has lasted for you.

Just looking to avoid spending $50 for new OEM ones if possible.

_
I think that in most situations the cushions will actually have material worn off them because of friction. Similar couplers are used in a lot of industrial applications and usually have a silicone lubricant installed. This would not work with the DR, too much dirt. I wonder if dry graphite would extend the life of the rubbers?
bkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #42458
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
I feel your pain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc1
Maybe a "flatspot" would be more accurate. I drive a fuel injected v strom 650 alot and I am most likely just accustomed to the instant response on the strom? If I am am going 50 mph on the dr650 and I quickley twist the throttle to increase speed there is a slight pause before aqcceleration occurs. Very slight? Is that normal with that bike? it is new with less than 1000 miles and fully stock.

dogdoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle
Pretty normal, certainly not ideal. The small hesitation is caused by lean mid-range jetting. This is one reason so many DR riders rejet or even replace the stock carburetor with a pumper carb.
Jeff beat me to it in terms of noting it is "pretty normal."

I bought my garage queen '08 DR With 287 miles on it. Prior to that I had ridden fuel injected BMW's for more than 10 years. So the flat spot took some getting used to.

Since I had to finish breaking my bike in the flat spot was not immediately obvious to me. Then after I began to ride some dirt roads while "training" for the CDT ride I noticed it when making my approach to a particular (long and steep) hill. The approach required down-shifting while coasting into a downhill curve and then rolling on the throttle to come out of the curve and start up the hill. Then I began to watch for it in other circumstances. After having the same flat-spot moment in nearly every roll-on maneuver I realized it is just part of the bike's personality.

The "tweak the carb" kool-aid is a powerful potion around here so I took a foray into re jetting and air-box cutting and immediately found that my fuel economy took a hit to the tune of a 17% loss.

Yikes! I was going to need every mpg I could get for a forthcoming trip! So after wailing and gnashing my teeth over the lost fuel economy for a half dozen posts I went back to stock on the jetting and needle settings. All this was in the spring-time run up to a trip out west that had been in the making for several years.

The upshot is that in July (2010) I ran most of the CDT on a stock bike (carb and engine wise) and never had a problem except for some sputtering after taking on a contaminated tank of fuel while out west.

To each his own -- for the price of a pumper carb I can do a Parabellum windscreen and a set of fork emulators. Or, I can go for a set of Happy Trail hard panniers. So I've made peace with the flat spot and am looking in other directions for tweaking the bike.

basketcase screwed with this post 11-30-2010 at 07:02 AM Reason: Speelin' & grammer...
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #42459
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas
I do have a great wife of twenty years that knows I appreciate beautiful women!
It doesn't matter where you get your appetite....as long as you eat at home.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #42460
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,029
Screens for Bikes

I have the Screens for Bikes windscreen (as do many others here) and I love it! I love it especially that it's small, lightweight, and doesn't connect to the handlebars, crowding them even further.

I can't recommend it enough. I did a 700-mile trip in mid-October from NW Oregon to Crater Lake and back, in mid-30-deg weather, and it was great!

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #42461
Blind Squirrel
b00n

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWV
This is a new option that is similar, but supposedly offers some adjustment.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.499/.f
Thanks for the link! This looks like a nice shield system!
Blind Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #42462
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle
Sure, I'll weigh in.
MX-Rob's dyno chart has been posted here and on ThumperTalk. The bike belongs to NY T100 and has the 725 big bore and Web 245 cam. You can't make an across the board judgment on the header pipe question based on one dyno test especially on a bike that has a cam nobody else is running.

Here's today's back to back tests with the PowerBomb header (black line) and stock headpipe (blue line). Horsepower first, then torque.

The top end gains and higher peak torque of the PowerBomb easily outweigh the small advantage the stock header has at 4000 rpm. OK, this bike isn't exactly representative of the the typical DR650 either. 780cc big bore, big valve head, 190 cam, TM40, FMF PowerCore 4. Even if the PowerBomb did nothing it looks so much more right on the bike compared to the skinny little stock pipe that IMHO it's worth the price.
What about on a stock bike? I want to upgrade my exhaust, lose some weight, gain a little power. I am going to start with a jet kit and airbox mod and my objective is to run a GSXR can, Two Brothers mid pipe and and FMF front pipe.
Do you know if the FMF pipe fits the Two Brothers mid pipe?
Are their any advantages running the FMF pipe (if it fits as noted above) on a stock engine? I agree, it does look "right" on the bike.

I am avioding a full FMF system or slip on due to what looks like impending legislation in my state banning all aftermarket exhausts. I figurer the GSXR can will meet the spirit and intent of any law better than the FMF pipe and it is quiet.

Thank you.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #42463
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28
What about on a stock bike? I want to upgrade my exhaust, lose some weight, gain a little power. I am going to start with a jet kit and airbox mod and my objective is to run a GSXR can, Two Brothers mid pipe and and FMF front pipe.
Do you know if the FMF pipe fits the Two Brothers mid pipe?
Are their any advantages running the FMF pipe (if it fits as noted above) on a stock engine? I agree, it does look "right" on the bike.

I am avioding a full FMF system or slip on due to what looks like impending legislation in my state banning all aftermarket exhausts. I figurer the GSXR can will meet the spirit and intent of any law better than the FMF pipe and it is quiet.

Thank you.
will there be any performance gains with that exaust setup as far as using the fmf header? i'm wondering if the header needs a fmf can attached to have any performance improvements.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #42464
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,963
The GSXR can with that mid pipe works very well on mine, with the stock head pipe. Once you get to increasing the head pipe size, you are doing something that typically only benefits at high rpm where you really need to move air. Can hurt your bottom and mid. Bigger bore engine with cam and head work, yes I'd say that would be complementary.

I have not done that however on my DR so can't say for sure on that particular engine. I did grind the weld down on the head pipe; it was right smack in the way of air getting out of the head.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #42465
jenx
misadventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy
Must.....

............resist........

............................urge............

..............................................to.. ..............

.................................................. .............shit.....................

.................................................. ....................................stir.........