User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #42451
scary fish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
happy trails SL sideracks

Is anyone using, or have any experance of the happy trails SL pannier racks on their DR?
they look like they may suit my purposes however I dont know how far forward they sit. I have been in contact with HT but they dont have any pic's of the rack fitted to the DR650

So if anyone has any pic's - please post.
I reckon that to fit with my soft bags the froward part of the loop needs to be roughly in line with the end of Z on the rhs of the seat.

cheers
scary fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #42452
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 3,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Seems like less work (and less messy) than cleaning, drying and reoiling an air filter. Or does everybody here just buy a new filter because it is only $20?

_
No they don't, but you forget- an air filter is "MEANT" to be cleaned and re-used. Cush drive rubbers are not! Good luck to you.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #42453
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
a couple pictures of that Rotopax set-up of yours would be MUCH appreciated....here's mine, but I like the way you've done yours.

Maybe a side shot with and without the can on it?

TIA
I took the rider pegs off and the rotopax setup lines up perfectly with the mounting holes. It's out of the way and looks decent. That beingsaid you can only mount 1 can there.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #42454
tobbik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
With the RMZ swingarm and the use of the DR axle with collars to suit the swingarms normally larger axle size, I can now use either a 17 inch cush drive hub (with a drive side spacer either cut down, or just using a DRZ/RMZ one), or an 18 inch wheel straight out of the DRZ (no cush drive - but it's for the dirt so is of no consequence when using full knobbies anyway), or I can use the RMZ 19 inch wheel (with the larger axle).
The DR650 has an offset rear shock. Is the RMZ just as much offset so that it becomes a straight swap?
tobbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #42455
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,380
asked mark from madstad about a tinted screen for his dr setup and he has one in the sport cr screen (what is shown but in clear) plus has a clear and tint in the sport gs screen (which also fits) which is wider if you want more side wind protection.

i'm looking at adding this system with my existing small screen fz1 screen (that is bolted to the headlight fairing) so i have options.
the racks (turbocity) will loop/fit overtop my existing small screen and with 4 bolts and i can add or remove the robobrackets & madstat screen and go from a dirt oriented bike to a tour oriented setup with my dr. using the smoke screen it will mask out my lower screen and still look good.
the dr is ultra versatile and this will make it even more so.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.499/.f

here's a comparo pic of the 2 options.
both are 18" tall

with the turbocity mounts still on the bike i can also use this for offroad riding/touring:
http://www.turbocity.com/product_inf...roducts_id=717

i'm envisioning street touring with the big shield, giant loop coyote bag & rear wolfman dry bag
and getting to a campsite (say to moab). then removing the big shield/robobrackets & all luggage and doing some day rides from that area on much lighter dirt oriented bike. nice!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-01-2010 at 04:04 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #42456
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
I took the rider pegs off and the rotopax setup lines up perfectly with the mounting holes. It's out of the way and looks decent. That beingsaid you can only mount 1 can there.
Thanks for your prompt response....when you say RotoPax set-up...specifically which RotoPax piece are you referring to? They offer a few different ones.

Did you attach the aluminum extruded piece directly to the frame, or one of the intermediate pieces RotoPax offers?

Please advise and Thanks Again for sharing.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #42457
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Thanks for your prompt response....when you say RotoPax set-up...specifically which RotoPax piece are you referring to? They offer a few different ones.

Did you attach the aluminum extruded piece directly to the frame, or one of the intermediate pieces RotoPax offers?

Please advise and Thanks Again for sharing.
The rotopax can I purchased had a black round mounting bracket with four square holes in it. Mounted to that is the screw on handle that holds the can to the bracket. The square holes in the round bracket are 2 1/2 inches apart, which is exactly the spacing of the bolts that hold the passenger pegs. I bought some stainless steel nuts and bolts and it was an easy mount. It is snowing like hell here or I would take some pictures. Having a new furnace installed tomorrow, but will try to take time to get in my building and get some pics.

Where are you located?

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #42458
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbik View Post
The DR650 has an offset rear shock. Is the RMZ just as much offset so that it becomes a straight swap?
No. The RMZ is not.

No straight swap. Cut off shock and linkage mounts and start again. The entire set up of the RMZ is the opposite of the DR, re linkage attachments.

I'm working on a straight swap version with a brand new DRZ swingarm that arrived in the mail last night.

The casting section of the swingarm is very similar to the RMZ, but the linkage mount is offset like the DRs. The arms have snail cam adjusters just like the DR, so it looks very similar side on.

It is stronger than the DR swingarm, and slightly (50mm approx) longer.

There are many minor obstacles to overcome, but I've built harder things.

My aim with the DR Ver 2.0 build is to create a DR with much better than stock or stock-upgraded suspension, get 300mm travel front and rear, spring it for carrying a load, fit it with Safari tank and rear sub tanks, and do a desert trip. As in cross something like the Simpson non stop no refuels.

I've already had 2 DR swingarms crack with the workout they get, and talking to guys who've done rear shock swapouts it's the same story. That's why I decided to go the complete swap for something that's a bit stronger.

With the RMZ swingarm, I've been jumping the living daylights out of it and I can't recall bottoming the rear end out once. I've slammed the front a few times, but the rear is just so perfect. I've been told it's very firm compared to the XR650R rear in general dirt road riding, but it handles big hits much better. I thought was very similar to the XR, but handled corrugations a little better, less hopping and wheelspin at light throttle. Seemed to track the back end a lot better in fast gravel turns, but I had a new 606 on , and the XRs Michelin Desert was worn.

This is what I want to achieve with the DRZ swingarm, but without the surgery to the main frame. I've done the measuring, and it's going to happen.
Snowy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #42459
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

I fitted one of these for last years Phillip Island trip.

It didn't survive the trip. It lasted 890kms and a passing sportsbike flicked up a rock that left what looked like a large calibre bullet hole with 2 inch long cracks emanating from it, and hit me in the centre of the chest.

It kept the wind and rain off my chest while it was on the bike, and helped extend the "dry time" when it was really pouring down.

The downside was that without the wind to lean into, my lower back (previously broken - crushed 4 vert) was killing me slowly.

But the wind coming off the top edge was hitting my helmet about half way up the shield and the peak (RJs Dakar helmet) was catching a virtual jet stream. It made it very noisy and very turbulent. At highway speeds my head would oscillate.

The screen is the "Eagle Screens" brand, and was 400mm long and cost me $180.

I would not spend that sort of money on a screen ever again. It would have been better spent on a new jacket or wet weather suit.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #42460
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Robert Taylor

Quote:
in spite of all the nasty and frankly libellous public comments. ( And if these continue I will consider seeking some form of legal redress.)
What exactly does ADV8 gain by bagging out goods and or services for no reason?

How does expressing an opinion, or a version of events, turn into a legal debacle?

Given he dropped over $2-large, if the result was as described I'd be inclined to believe he has a legitimate reason to be pissed.

I know from my own experiences, almost every time I've paid an expert to do a job it's been botched. Yeah, they will usually either fix it or offer to fix it but that's not the point. I can botch it on my own and save money.

I'm not being a smartass or trying to start "another" forum fight. I'm just asking as a curious internet shopper.

of course, you could always just add me to your "ignore list" like the rest of these guys........
Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #42461
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,380
that is some coin for a small screen. way too much imo.
i paid $15 for a used fz1 screen.

Quote:

I fitted one of these for last years Phillip Island trip.

It didn't survive the trip. It lasted 890kms and a passing sportsbike flicked up a rock that left what looked like a large calibre bullet hole with 2 inch long cracks emanating from it, and hit me in the centre of the chest.

It kept the wind and rain off my chest while it was on the bike, and helped extend the "dry time" when it was really pouring down.

The downside was that without the wind to lean into, my lower back (previously broken - crushed 4 vert) was killing me slowly.

But the wind coming off the top edge was hitting my helmet about half way up the shield and the peak (RJs Dakar helmet) was catching a virtual jet stream. It made it very noisy and very turbulent. At highway speeds my head would oscillate.

The screen is the "Eagle Screens" brand, and was 400mm long and cost me $180.

I would not spend that sort of money on a screen ever again. It would have been better spent on a new jacket or wet weather suit.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #42462
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Absolutely.

I kept it purely so I can buy some lexan or perspex and use it as a template.

It needs a curved lip at the very least to make it functional, and I'm only 5' 11". Was 6'ish, but the crush fractured vertebra amount to an inch and a bit.

I have a copy of the KTM adventure fairing coming....if FJRThommo wants his bash plate and fuel tank....
Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #42463
Sydney Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
I have a copy of the KTM adventure fairing coming....
Snowy,

I have looked at the KTM copy ( well one I found on the web ) and it looked good but was shockingly expensive.

I would be interested in a dash for my 650 but the cost looks very high ( and I have no skills to make my own ).

Care to share your suppliers name?

Tony
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #42464
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

FJRthommo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRthommo View Post
Stop stirring the natives snowy
this bloke.

He's been busy riding around Aust. but he's back home and whispering promises in my ear.

I just have to get KTMatt to knock up a bashplate and bribe him. Then I have to do Matt a favour, like fitting about 20 down lights.....

It's an endless merry go round of graft and corruption, this bike thing of ours.

La bika nostra?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:35 AM   #42465
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
that is some coin for a small screen. way too much imo.
i paid $15 for a used fz1 screen.
On the screen motif, I purchased a larger screen for the V-Strom and used the stock V-Strom screen for the DR. Two holes and some stainless nuts and bolts. It worked well and got some compliments, although a Kiwi ADV guy made some crack about it on here.

Still Riff Raff