Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #42451
Luushen
Victorian

Oddometer: 663
nah that 1/8 th leg was welded on after the original round tube leg was removed because as you found out with your rack it wanted to sit flush were Jesse's mount sits

Luushen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #42452
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luushen
nah that 1/8 th leg was welded on after the original round tube leg was removed because as you found out with your rack it wanted to sit flush were Jesse's mount sits
how is the strengnth on the new bbq rack leg compared to the original round tubbing? can't as a robust.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:53 AM   #42453
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Anybody ever try to rejuvenate their rear hub cushion drive inserts? Maybe boil in water and then quench in ice water similar to o-rings? Or soak in a solution to slightly expand rubber without softening it? If you did this and it was succesful please post how long the rejuvenation has lasted for you.

Just looking to avoid spending $50 for new OEM ones if possible.

_
Must.....

............resist........

............................urge............

..............................................to.. ..............

.................................................. .............shit.....................

.................................................. ....................................stir.........
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #42454
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Anybody ever try to rejuvenate their rear hub cushion drive inserts? Maybe boil in water and then quench in ice water similar to o-rings? Or soak in a solution to slightly expand rubber without softening it? If you did this and it was succesful please post how long the rejuvenation has lasted for you.

Just looking to avoid spending $50 for new OEM ones if possible.

_
Seems like a lot of work to save $35. Carb cleaner and parts solevant will swell rubber, but it shrinks back after some time. I wouldn't count that anything that swells it doesn't also deteriorate it!

Go ahead Snowy! Need me to find you a stick?
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:15 AM   #42455
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
I didn't want to sound nasty....or bitter...or twisted....but I am so it just comes across that way anyhow.

An interesting tidbit/factoid from my swapping and measuring and playing with parts:

With the RMZ swingarm and the use of the DR axle with collars to suit the swingarms normally larger axle size, I can now use either a 17 inch cush drive hub (with a drive side spacer either cut down, or just using a DRZ/RMZ one), or an 18 inch wheel straight out of the DRZ (no cush drive - but it's for the dirt so is of no consequence when using full knobbies anyway), or I can use the RMZ 19 inch wheel (with the larger axle).

Now I know the 19 may sound unappealing for many reasons, but under some circumstances it could be useful. Think some of the very specific tyres made for the bikes intended to run 19s.

But, most importantly, what it gives me is choice. Something the DR doesn't have standard.

As I already have 2 cush drive 17s, all I need to do is eBay some 18s and 19s and I have a full range.

This just gets easier and easier.

Too bad some don't want to play.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 AM   #42456
FJRthommo
Anti social ranga

Oddometer: 165
Stop stirring the natives snowy

Piss on it and walk away
FJRthommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #42457
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle
Seems like a lot of work to save $35. Carb cleaner and parts solevant will swell rubber, but it shrinks back after some time. I wouldn't count that anything that swells it doesn't also deteriorate it!
Seems like less work (and less messy) than cleaning, drying and reoiling an air filter. Or does everybody here just buy a new filter because it is only $20?

My DR is a '91 so $50 OEM replacement cost is correct as they cost more than the newer version cush rubber inserts. $50 buys me enough gas for 1,000 miles on the DR. Economy's tight, money short, so why buy new if not absolutely neccessary? I'd rather spend it riding.

Anyway thanks for the replies but I already had plenty of ideas to try. I posted here looking for someone with experience that has already done it.

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #42458
Milano.B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
anyone notice any vibration or fatique issues with jesse's bracket. prior to him making the bracket (way back in the early mx-rob days) people were making there own brackets and often using rubber washers for vibration isolation (like the stock muffler has). jesse's system is a solid metal mount on the other hand. has that been an issue???
I did not feel comfortable with Jesse's bracket less the vibration damping for the GSXR muf.
So I incorporate a Grommet la MXRob (he uses Oring).
But around 500 miles the grommet keeps rotting away from the heat and vibration.

The version 2 was using a reinforced water hose (much thicker/harder material)
and a piece of hose clamp on top the water hose to protect the GSXR muf from cutting into it.
So far so good

Milano
Milano.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #42459
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Seems like less work (and less messy) than cleaning, drying and reoiling an air filter. Or does everybody here just buy a new filter because it is only $20?
_
I don't think my wife would take to kindly to boiling up motorcycle parts in the kitchen. But all kidding aside I think most just think that you would not end up with any kind of improvement, or might even make things worse (by making the cushions to brittle, or to soft, or even coming apart). If I was to do anything, other then new, it would be to take Rusty's suggestion and use cut up inner-tubes to act as spacers. Good luck.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #42460
MoonDogMT
ride on

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
.... $50 buys me enough gas for 1,000 miles on the DR. Economy's tight, money short, so why buy new if not absolutely neccessary? I'd rather spend it riding.
_
Absolutely
"Use it up, wear it out, fix it up, or do without!"
MoonDogMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #42461
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,305
Great Ohio ride today on the DR. Beautiful weather and lunch with a gorgeous waitress at Tappan Lake.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #42462
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,784
1. Good on ya for getting out there!

2. Is there an Old Rumley?

3. Is that a Kolpin or similar attached to the footpeg mount?

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #42463
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter
1. Good on ya for getting out there! Thanx, I ride until the snow falls then ride my snowboard

2. Is there an Old Rumley? Old Rumley is a type of Nicaraguan liquor

3. Is that a Kolpin or similar attached to the footpeg mount?
That is a rotopax gas can

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #42464
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,008
Rasthomas, Nice, but, why one picture when there should have been two, and I am not talking about a picture of a lunch plate.

You know the saying, "no picture, it didn't happen."
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #42465
dogdoc1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase
When you say "hesitation" do you mean a momentary flat spot or an outright miss?
Maybe a "flatspot" would be more accurate. I drive a fuel injected v strom 650 alot and I am most likely just accustomed to the instant response on the strom? If I am am going 50 mph on the dr650 and I quickley twist the throttle to increase speed there is a slight pause before aqcceleration occurs. Very slight? Is that normal with that bike? it is new with less than 1000 miles and fully stock.

dogdoc
dogdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote