User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #4711
gsuser
Amateur Explorer

Oddometer: 298
The Obese One

Well I weighed the Obese on at the scales, this scale measures in 20 lb increments so it could be a little above or below, the Obese One weighs 580 lbs fully fueld and loaded. Tack on 240 lbs for me in atgatt and we are at 820 lbs gross.

Does this make my ass look fat?

gsuser screwed with this post 05-17-2007 at 03:23 PM
gsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #4712
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsuser
Well I weighed the Obese on at the scales, this scale measures in 20 lb increments so it could be a little above or below, the Obese One weighs 580 lbs fully fueld and loaded. Tack on 240 lbs for me in atgatt and we are at 820 lbs gross.
W O W
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #4713
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
Quote:
The stock DR650 GVWR is only770lb! You better be careful so you don't break the rear subframe or something equally important. Good luck!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 05-17-2007 at 03:39 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #4714
cactusclay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_m
OK,
bar risers- done
K&N- done
airbox mod- done
14T front sprocket- done
re-jetting- this weekend
skid-plate- this weekend

eibach spring upgrade- question:

It looks as if the fork springs can be removed without removing the forks from the bike, just unload the front suspension and remove the caps by the look of it... Right???
Anyway, since the bike is new, how about the fork oil? Can I just leave it alone or should I get heavier / more, etc???

TIA,
Sounds like you're getting it together. What did you use for the bar risers and how do you like them?
cactusclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #4715
cactusclay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I have a question, for anyone that has bought the corbin seat. I was looking at their website and it looks like if you want to go with the Ims tank, you need to get a different one, but I was wondering if the seat for the Ims tank will fit the stock tank, so one doesn't have to do so many upgrades at once. Also, will the big Aqua tank or whatever it is called " from Austrailia" work with the corbin seat? Sorry, I have to many questions bouncing around in my head right now.
cactusclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #4716
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
The stock DR650 GVWR is only770lb! You better be careful so you don't break the rear subframe or something equally important. Good luck!
Yeah. That's about the weight of my 1150GS.

Go around pot holes rather than over/thru them. Keep those tahrs pumped up.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #4717
allen_m
Dusty Old Man

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusclay
Sounds like you're getting it together. What did you use for the bar risers and how do you like them?
Used the RoxRisers P2-S/S from roxspeedfx.com

See here...

I like 'em OK so far; but, just put 'em on last night. Probably gonna change the stock bars, too- They're in the right spot now; but, still not what I would call confidence inspiring in their construction...
'66 R69S my Bisbee Bike...
'74 R90S the next project
allen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #4718
DRinda505
I'm right behind you.

Oddometer: 407
$40 Seat Upholestry (Tweaks & Impressions)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4559

Ok, So I've got close to two weeks, and about 500 (~350 in 1 day, 200+ dirt http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=227476&page=3 ) miles since finishing my seat reupholestry.

After the first day, I thought my seat was tilted forward too much. Seemed like while riding I was holding myself back with my arms when sitting. So, I pulled the stock cover, got out the electric carving nife and recarved the top profile, starting thin at the back and taking of nearly nothing at the narrow front area. I remounted the seat with cover off on the bike and test fitted my while carving. The seat looks much more like the Corbin's I've seen. Anyways I restapled the cover and proceeded on my usual work rides, and put in a 13 hour ride last Saturday. My butt is happy now.

If I were to do it again, I would try a homogenous foam, highest density I could get my hands on. I like what I did, but the different foams in the composite foam I used made carving and sanding more difficult, and you can see little bumps in the cover from the different densities in the composite foam. Not noticible unless your up close and persnnel with the bike, and I can't feel it, sitting on it.

And for those of you interested in the surplus saddle bags, and home made frames....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4557
they worked great. I even dumped my bike once last weekend, no problems. Very pleased with the results, and other riders say they are rock solid in the rough stuff, and on the I-state at 80+.

Up next....... a set of DRZ/KLX cartridge forks I bought on fleebay, and will be installing once delivered.

DRinda505 screwed with this post 05-17-2007 at 05:32 PM
DRinda505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #4719
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
Now about my indicator question?
G'Day Davo,

I run these little round blinkers. They are made entirely out of rubber and run wedge bulbs so they never seem to fail or get busted. Perhaps not the best choice for visability but I reckon they work well enough.

There are a couple of brands floating around but the MCS ones seem to work the best (photo from Ballards but most shops ought to be able to get them).

Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #4720
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,598
Quote:

Make your braking plans early...
Old 05-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #4721
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusclay
I have a question, for anyone that has bought the corbin seat. I was looking at their website and it looks like if you want to go with the Ims tank, you need to get a different one, but I was wondering if the seat for the Ims tank will fit the stock tank, so one doesn't have to do so many upgrades at once. Also, will the big Aqua tank or whatever it is called " from Austrailia" work with the corbin seat? Sorry, I have to many questions bouncing around in my head right now.
I've got one for the stock tank configuration and it is mounted with a Aqualine tank. I understand the IMS tank has a flatter front and there is a gap unless you get a pan for that tank from Corbin. I admit to being a bit sketchy, as I picked up the seat used.

The seat brackets were a bit too far back, but a little tug with water pump pliers and I got the seat to pull far enough forward to bolt up. The seat pan apparently tilted a bit too far forward,as there was a slight wrinkle in the leather at the bottom of the curve. That is now gone after getting rained on a couple of times.

we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #4722
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeds

Get some hand guards or cut off the ends of the levers, otherwise you will eventually loose one.
Good looking bike.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #4723
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Get some hand guards or cut off the ends of the levers, otherwise you will eventually loose one.
Good looking bike.
Thanks for the complement. Your ride in Mexico was what convinced me that this was the right bike for me.

Handguards are next on the list. I have already bent the brake lever, but not bad enough to break.

Then springs ... bars ... rack ... 18 inch rear rim ... and on and on and on

Have y'all got VR's bike back? I was enjoying your ramble through the south.
we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #4724
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Center Stand

Just got the new Twisted Throttle centerstand installed; only took about twenty minutes.

The pegs are now about 3/4" wider on each side due to the mounting bracketry.

One thing that is questonable, the rear tire is only 1/4" off the ground. It rotates freely, but I'm wondering if this will be enough.

All in all it's a quality unit and installs cleanly. And it doesn't clunk when you retract it like my GS. The bike is much more stable with this than the side stand. The wind isn't going to blow it over now.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #4725
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeds
Thanks for the complement. Your ride in Mexico was what convinced me that this was the right bike for me.

Handguards are next on the list. I have already bent the brake lever, but not bad enough to break.

Then springs ... bars ... rack ... 18 inch rear rim ... and on and on and on

Have y'all got VR's bike back? I was enjoying your ramble through the south.
We hope that her bike will be fixed this year. Yeah, that trip hit a wall pretty quick. Thanks for asking.

The 18" will help the short side stand thing. Other springs will help it even more.

My bike flopped over during a CC trip, while it was parked, and the front brake lever is still today a 'shorty'.

Any complaints with that tank?