User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #56536
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Pissed OK, I have no memory...

I have been searching for hours over the past few days (really!) to find a post that listed stock fork sizes for common (dirt?) bikes.
I don't remember what thread, or even what forum I read it in....
I thought it was in here though.

Does anyone recall seeing it?
AND, do you remember where you saw it?

It was a LONG post listing dozens, if not hundreds, of bikes by fork diameters.
I don't remember if it listed other dimensions, all I recall was diameters.
I have tried searching using every term I could think of and I am getting nowhere in any thread or forum.
Seems to me it was in a discussion of fork swapping...
Since this thread is one of my daily reads I have tried here as well as Thumpertalk and other DR650 sites.

One of those things that we read and think "that is really interesting and useful" and then forget to save it somewhere for when we want it.

Or maybe I am the only one who forgets everything...

Uh, never mind. Dumbhead finally thought to search on Google and instantly hit multiple sites with the chart....
Thank you for your time, now we may get back to the regular discussion of pilot jets: "to clean or not to clean, that is the question..."
James

JagLite screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 03:01 PM
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #56537
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
$20 jet kit results

today i had some time off to finish playing with my jetting. i'm currently at 800' elevation, and pretty much sea level for my daily ride. i've been running a KTM needle (4th clip from the top) and DJ160 main jet, cut airbox and stock muffler with header grind. i've been really happy with the mid range pull and top end on the freeway is great.

today i installed the last piece of the puzzle which is the 45 pilot jet, 1.5 turns out on idle mixture. i tried it with the needle at the middle clip position first, fearing it might be too rich, then moved it back to the 4th clip position.

all i can say is WOW, this thing pulls like a bat out of hell! lugs down low great, starts right up on choke (enrichment...) and sounds nice & thumpy. probably surprising to some who say my bike shouldn't even run. lol.

overall, i'd say WIN. we'll see how the mileage returns on the next couple tanks.

KTM needle $10
Mikuni 45 pilot $5
Mikuni 150/155 main $5

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203

vintagespeed screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 03:08 PM Reason: oops
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #56538
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I have been searching for hours over the past few days (really!) to find a post that listed stock fork sizes for common (dirt?) bikes. ...
here's one, there are several:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3565549/Mo...ork-tube-sizes

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #56539
Stringer99
Banned

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
today i had some time off to finish playing with my jetting. i'm currently at 800' elevation, and pretty much sea level for my daily ride. i've been running a KTM needle (4th clip from the top) and DJ160 main jet, cut airbox and stock muffler with header grind. i've been really happy with the mid range pull and top end on the freeway is great.

today i installed the last piece of the puzzle which is the 45 pilot jet, 1.5 turns out on idle mixture. i tried it with the needle at the middle clip position first, fearing it might be too rich, then moved it back to the 4th clip position.

all i can say is WOW, this thing pulls like a bat out of hell! lugs down low great, starts right up on choke (enrichment...) and sounds nice & thumpy. probably surprising to some who say my bike shouldn't even run. lol.

overall, i'd say WIN. we'll see how the mileage returns on the next couple tanks.

KTM needle $10
Mikuni 45 pilot $5
Mikuni 150/155 main $5
what store did you buy from? thanks.
Stringer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #56540
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
today i installed the last piece of the puzzle which is the 45 pilot jet, 1.5 turns out on idle mixture.
Once again, your carburetor setup is outside the norm. Most riders who have tried the 45 pilot have reported a 'rich bog' just off idle that couldn't be tuned out without going back the the stock 42.5 pilot jet. Most bikes will even exhibit the off idle bog just turning the mixture screw much beyond 1.5 turns.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #56541
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
Would I replace one? Sure if I have one handy. But lets get real, cleaning one is not rocket science.
There you go being all reasonable! Probably get you banned I've got an opportunity to pick this bike up at a sweet price and wanted to be sure there weren't any well known problems like the 08 KLR oil burning problem. I can deal with some bad gas and a stuffed jet.

John
Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #56542
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
N151.067 are the correct ones.

Regards,

Derek
Thanks Derek

John
Old 11-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #56543
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,585
Was it the link to the All Balls Bearings fork conversion chart? Someone posted it somewhere in this thread a few days ago, I think.

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconvertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I have been searching for hours over the past few days (really!) to find a post that listed stock fork sizes for common (dirt?) bikes.
I don't remember what thread, or even what forum I read it in....
I thought it was in here though.

Does anyone recall seeing it?
AND, do you remember where you saw it?

It was a LONG post listing dozens, if not hundreds, of bikes by fork diameters.
I don't remember if it listed other dimensions, all I recall was diameters.
I have tried searching using every term I could think of and I am getting nowhere in any thread or forum.
Seems to me it was in a discussion of fork swapping...
Since this thread is one of my daily reads I have tried here as well as Thumpertalk and other DR650 sites.

One of those things that we read and think "that is really interesting and useful" and then forget to save it somewhere for when we want it.

Or maybe I am the only one who forgets everything...

Uh, never mind. Dumbhead finally thought to search on Google and instantly hit multiple sites with the chart....
Thank you for your time, now we may get back to the regular discussion of pilot jets: "to clean or not to clean, that is the question..."
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #56544
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 620
Motolab I have enjoyed your post very much. You have added a lot of very valuable information. I have enjoyed and learned from everyone of them, thanks. In the 60's I have been known to solder a jet and redrill, also reshape needles, to get the performance I wanted for my motox bikes. Since I travel to third world countries now and have lived off my bike for months at a time my interest is more into reliablity and fixability then utimate performance. The stock motor and carb on the DR650 far surpass it's suspension. For my type of use and travel a "stoneage" bike is better. I just want a bike or two left on the market that can be repaired with items from a hardware store.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
FI is great. The existing maps may not be perfect, but unlike a carbureted bike, with FI at least the possibility exists to make the mixture correct at every intersection of throttle position and rpm. Because of the high resolution, it's potentially a lot of work, but you don't have to worry about overlap between circuits, gasoline spills or multiple disasemblies/reassemblies.

Regards,

Derek
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #56545
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,366
Handlebars

New DR owner with a dumb question about oversized bars.

The info from the Pro Cycle site indicates stock controls work with "their" oversize bar which appear to be a Fly Racing product.

Do the stock controls work with all oversized bars. I assume the bar mounts themselves would need to be larger but I'm interested in the mounts for the mirrors, clutch, brake and throttle controls.

Looking for a bar that gives a little more rise and pull back than the OEM so that bar risers are not needed but don't want to buy one and find out after the fact that I need more stuff to make it work.
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #56546
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,840
does anyone remember the link for all the handlebar dimensions comparison chart?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #56547
dukegnarley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Hey all,

Winter is right around the corner and I'm planning to mess around a bit with the dr while the roads are icy.

I'm looking to do a fork swap and was wondering how much better newer '06 or '07 ish RMZ forks would be than a '99 WR400F fork. I already have the yamaha fork and I know it will fit, I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to sell it and get one from an RMZ.
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #56548
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
does anyone remember the link for all the handlebar dimensions comparison chart?

I found this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=634120&page=2

see last post...but still can't find an answer to my question.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #56549
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,697
My understanding is that over-size bars require a mount, as you said, but taper back down to 7/8" to fit stock controls.

Sarah
Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #56550
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
My understanding is that over-size bars require a mount, as you said, but taper back down to 7/8" to fit stock controls.

Sarah
Thanks Sarah.....that's what I assumed but wanted clarification before I ordered a new bar.