Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #56641
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
Does the DR have a rev limiter, or is that just my carb running out of air when it goes "dut... dut... dut" at really high rpm? Sure sounds like a rev limiter.
The CDI stops the party at 7750 RPM
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #56642
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
I'm concerned where the needle clip sits if you remove the white spacer. Do they have you install a thinner washer of the same diameter as the spacer?
Small washer under the clip. The needle is quite a bit shorter than the stock one.
Attached Images

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #56643
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
You can follow little donkey here http://www.adventurebikerider.com/fo...oes-maroc.html

Phil
I thought at least one of you would have looked at this
Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #56644
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
I thought at least one of you would have looked at this
Wednesday I read to page 5, post 80263 in one sitting. Very entertaining report, great pics and I love your dry British humor. Too bad the girls you gave up your room to didn’t give you a tumble.

Good to see your DR is soldiering on with so little drama, just a cracked inline fuel filter as I recall. And your self-inflicted tube pinches, of course.

But, the BMW (quoted from your RR):
chain SNAPPED
throttle cable was only held together by two threads
the left hand side of the subframe had broken
and shortly thereafter: the subframe snapped both sides

And it was some Dakar-prepped bike? WTH? That guy didn’t bother to properly prep his bike, apparently. Not someone I’d care to leave civilization with. I recall an in-progress RR from one of your countrymen that I started Wednesday also, he bought a Honda XL600 to ride to Africa but, as I recall, discovered a worn-out chain and worn/cracked countershaft sprocket before leaving France. Some riders should stay home, for their own safety. However, their misfortunes on the road do make for interesting reading.

Thank you for taking the time to post the RR, I'll be following along till the end.

Lex
Old 11-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #56645
Storz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
How is the DR650 for long highway slogs? I am down to choosing between just a couple bikes and the DR650 is at the top of my list for all the reasons you guys know about, the thing is for me to get anywhere interesting on it I've got at least 2-3 hours on pavement and am just wondering if it's going to vibrate me to death. I had a DRZ400sm that I put quite a few road miles on and sometimes my hands would fall asleep lol.
Storz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #56646
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
As mentioned, use google.

Easy thing to do is type "site:advrider.com" then a space and your search term. For example you can type "site:advrider.com dr650 520 conversion"
This thread is great. I learn about my bike and I pick up tips about using the Web. I did not know about that search method. Thanks.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #56647
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Small washer under the clip. The needle is quite a bit shorter than the stock one.

Excellent post, saving that picture to my documents.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #56648
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Needles

Just a note On the pic that NordieBoy posted. Keep in mind the KTM needle is designed to also have a white spacer under it as well as a metal washer/shim, so in reality it should not hang lower below the slide then the stock one and the measurements/taper would show a greater difference compared to stock DR.

Also I thought (but not sure) that the Dynojet needle hung down below the shelf at the bottom of the slide with the open end of the e-clip alongside the shelf/step (similar to the procycle needle), making the length below the slide a little closer then the pic would indicate.
I know at one point the Kientech site talked about actually cutting the white spacer into a D shape so the spacer would sit alongside the shelf for the Dynojet needle (but I think they abandoned those instructions), so I am not sure what the current Dynojet instructions say.

Thanks Nordie!

Rumlover screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 09:26 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #56649
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storz View Post
How is the DR650 for long highway slogs? I am down to choosing between just a couple bikes and the DR650 is at the top of my list for all the reasons you guys know about, the thing is for me to get anywhere interesting on it I've got at least 2-3 hours on pavement and am just wondering if it's going to vibrate me to death. I had a DRZ400sm that I put quite a few road miles on and sometimes my hands would fall asleep lol.
I ride a very smooth street bike, a PC800, and think my Dr also is very smooth. With the wind blast I wouldn't care to do 70 mph for hours on end but it will cruise along at that speed all day long. It even turns less RPMs than my PC and is also way faster. I have a gel seat so my buttocks get a little sore after a couple of hours which I think is a world record.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #56650
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
I don't mind it for highway. I've done a few 400 miles days with no issue at 70mph.

The stock seat is a torture rack. I couldn't ride that long on it. I went with Corbin, many others like Sargent, Seat Concepts, or even custom built stuff.

I have a MadStad windsheild on the way, which I've been hearing will completely change the way it will feel at higher speeds. I've never had a bike with a windshield that shoves air past the middle of my chest, so I'm looking forward to experiencing it.

Happy Trails make highway pegs. Not sure how comfortable they'd be, but on long jaunts, it's nice to have a different leg position.

For vibrations, going with something like the anti-vibration Rox Risers is a possibility. It's no inline 4, but vibrations really aren't that bad even at more-than-legal highway speeds (on the other hand some KTMs are known to be able to mix paint). Soft grips are a big help on their own for $10.

The DR650 Highway Touring Thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671846

It will never be an FJR or a Goldwing. But they will never be DRs
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #56651
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
vibration is minimal, but it's still a thumper. suzuki did a good job w/ counterbalancer. not glass smooth by any means like a multi-cyl bike but good. check out these 2 products. sounds like you need both.
http://www.vibranator.com/default.asp
http://spidergrips.com/

check out the touring thread for creature comforts
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671846

i use upright protaper atv-mid bars (alum. is better than steel for vibs too), sargent seat. i wear mtb padded shorts plus use this back brace for comfort and support http://www.ruoutside.com/backthing-perforated.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #56652
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,845
I just wanted to post at 11:11 on 11/11/11
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #56653
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
[QUOTE=LexTalionis;17279918]Wednesday I read to page 5, post 80263 in one sitting. Very entertaining report, great pics and I love your dry British humor. Too bad the girls you gave up your room to didn’t give you a tumble.

Good to see your DR is soldiering on with so little drama, just a cracked inline fuel filter as I recall. And your self-inflicted tube pinches, of course.

But, the BMW (quoted from your RR):
chain SNAPPED
throttle cable was only held together by two threads
the left hand side of the subframe had broken
and shortly thereafter: the subframe snapped both sides

And it was some Dakar-prepped bike? WTH? That guy didn’t bother to properly prep his bike, apparently. Not someone I’d care to leave civilization with. I recall an in-progress RR from one of your countrymen that I started Wednesday also, he bought a Honda XL600 to ride to Africa but, as I recall, discovered a worn-out chain and worn/cracked countershaft sprocket before leaving France. Some riders should stay home, for their own safety. However, their misfortunes on the road do make for interesting reading.

Thank you for taking the time to post the RR, I'll be following along till the end.

Lex[/QUOTE
Cheers Lex
OHHHHH he got some stick ..................BMW my arse
Phil
Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #56654
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Excellent post, saving that picture to my documents.
Im using that KTM needle in my DR , only $11.00
Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #56655
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
KTM needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
At 2000 ft elevation, that KTM needle would be used with what size jet? Is there a part number for that KTM needle?
Thanks, anyone.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote