Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #56836
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,919
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I have the sprocket cover removed because it collects grass.....

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #56837
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I have thousands of miles, mostly offroad on the clip. I have no problems.
The sprocket finds it's happy spot as to alignment and it all works.

I have the sprocket cover removed and in a box in the garage, because it collects grass, mud and sticks if left on.
Is there a lot of slop in the sprocket when sitting still?

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #56838
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
For several hours I have been trying to install the top NSU screw, with many different teqniques. It is not going in, period. the bolt wont thread through. i dont know what else to do. the threads are correct, bottom one goes in easy. there is just no possible way to install it with the clutch in the way. can i just yank the whole NSU system out of the bike? again, several hours on that bolt. it doesnt go in.
Yes. Some people DO remove the whole NSU setup, so they never have to worry about loose screws. You just won't have a neutral light in the dash anymore. I don't recommend letting the clutch out fast on the rare occasions that one uses neutral anyway. I never trust the light 100% either way.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #56839
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Here is my new Madstad 20" CR Shield in Dark Gray. It uses the TurboCity windshield brackets and the MadStad RoboBrackets to have a fully adjustable setup. It is set perfectly for me, almost at maximum height for my 6'4" large frame. I can see directly over the top of it as shown. Comfortable up to indicated 80mph and there is at least a 50% reduction in wind noise compared to no shield. I could feel a slight wobble around 70mph. Going to try a different front fender soon to see if that helps.

And the one thing I'm concerned with is the compatibility with bar risers which I was planning to do soon. Was hoping to go with the Anti-Vibration Rox Risers. If anyone can comment on whether or not you think they would work with this setup, that would be hugely helpful.

Some pics of the top mount:

First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #56840
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
I'm thinking of running a line from the battery to the cowling that will let me power several gadgets. Any thoughts on workable solutions?
Just put a properly-rated inline fuse or breaker as close as practicable to the battery. Run the line (heavy gauge) to a distribution/fuse block under the cowl. If you want it switched, use a relay, or several.

I try to use breakers when I have to do wiring on vehicles, BTW. I hate having to find/replace fuses, especially if I don't have a spare of the correct amperage rating with me.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #56841
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
Is there a lot of slop in the sprocket when sitting still?
Side to side, it can move freely (in and out on the countershaft) but only as far as the clip allows outward and the engine collar inwardly. It doesn't have any more rotational slop than a sprocket attached in stock fashion.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #56842
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
thanks. looks like an 18" would be better for those under 6'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
Here is my new Madstad 20" CR Shield in Dark Gray. It uses the TurboCity windshield brackets and the MadStad RoboBrackets to have a fully adjustable setup. It is set perfectly for me, almost at maximum height for my 6'4" large frame. I can see directly over the top of it as shown. Comfortable up to indicated 80mph and there is at least a 50% reduction in wind noise compared to no shield. I could feel a slight wobble around 70mph. Going to try a different front fender soon to see if that helps.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #56843
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
You might be that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer99 View Post
For several hours I have been trying to install the top NSU screw, with many different teqniques. It is not going in, period.
Many others have done this successfully, so it's doable. Is the bottom bolt completely loose? If it's making contact with the switch, it may be pulling it crooked.
Quote:
the bolt wont thread through. i dont know what else to do. the threads are correct, bottom one goes in easy.
Switch the bolts, there may be a burr on the one that won't start. Be careful, there's a small pin and spring between the switch and engine case. There's nothing holding them in other than the switch.
Quote:
there is just no possible way to install it with the clutch in the way. can i just yank the whole NSU system out of the bike? again, several hours on that bolt. it doesnt go in.
I forgot to plug in my NSU connector (under the seat) when I replaced my shock. The bike wouldn't run with the kickstand down, IIRC. That became a pain in the butt, so, no I wouldn't remove the NSU assembly.

Would this help? Hex heads are easier to start with your fingers.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #56844
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
You're smart to carry parts. There are lots of places in the world where you can't get a tire, much less a clutch cable. You won't find a motorcycle shop out in the middle of Uzbekistan and ordering parts can take weeks. When we went from Europe to Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakstan etc. we carried a bunch of stuff- mostly small but stuff that you might expect to wear out.

Your list is a good start. I would add:
brake pads, front and rear
fork seals
spark plugs
2 spare tubes
spare headlight, taillight bulbs
clutch lever
brake lever
gas line filters
2 oil filters & spare o rings
spare oil drain plug and washer
fuses
carb parts- orings and jets
chain master links
valve adjust tools
spark plug gap tool
second air filter (switch them and clean at your leisure)
nuts, bolts, washers

All of this might add 5 pounds to your load but doesn't take up too much room.

................shu
That all makes sense to me with the exception of clutch / brake levers, but I've seen a lot of people include them in their packing lists. What's the failure mechanism for them? Do they frequently snap in crashes?
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #56845
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGS View Post
That all makes sense to me with the exception of clutch / brake levers, but I've seen a lot of people include them in their packing lists. What's the failure mechanism for them? Do they frequently snap in crashes?
Frequently, probably not; occassionally, very likely. Think about the hassle of riding with either the clutch or brake lever broken. Then add that you're in a foreign country and the next motorcycle shop may be in a shed with a dirt floor. My spare set weighs 6 oz.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #56846
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
You might be that guy.
Working as a motorcycle mechanic for years I've been "that guy" many times.
There was the time a wheel came in to be trued but some idiot previous owner had used red locktite on the spoke nipples. What should have been a quick $25 truing job turned into a $160 complete relace job.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #56847
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Frequently, probably not; occassionally, very likely. Think about the hassle of riding with either the clutch or brake lever broken. Then add that you're in a foreign country and the next motorcycle shop may be in a shed with a dirt floor. My spare set weighs 6 oz.
Even in the US they can be very handy. I keep a spare of each that I picked up on ebay cheap zip tied to the frame of my XR under the seat. Couple years ago we were out in Colorado headed up Mosquito Pass. One rider on a BMW XChallenge went over the side and it broke off his clutch lever. Storms were looming and we were a long way from any help. On a chance we tried the Honda spare on the BMW and it worked! The little nubbin that activates the safety switch wasn't in the right place but he could work the clutch. Got him off the hill.

Bottom line is they're cheap and light and can be stored in many out of the way places on the bike until needed.

John
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #56848
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
. . . some idiot previous owner had used red locktite on the spoke nipples . . .

I bet you weren't laughing at the time!
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #56849
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Even in the US they can be very handy. I keep a spare of each that I picked up on ebay cheap zip tied to the frame of my XR under the seat. Couple years ago we were out in Colorado headed up Mosquito Pass. One rider on a BMW XChallenge went over the side and it broke off his clutch lever. Storms were looming and we were a long way from any help. On a chance we tried the Honda spare on the BMW and it worked! The little nubbin that activates the safety switch wasn't in the right place but he could work the clutch. Got him off the hill.

Bottom line is they're cheap and light and can be stored in many out of the way places on the bike until needed.

John
Ok, I'm convinced. Thanks guys.
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #56850
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
heads up on your rear pelican on the ebay bbq rack. the supports on my rack snaped between the the 2 through bolt locations (horizontal top round support bar where the rack bolts to). not sure what you did but i drilled & bolted through the pelican to match the rack bolt points through the supports (i also drilled to rear wards ones and through the rack frame and attached w/ nuts). i used stainless button heads and those forward bolts snapped from the leverage weight and then the supports then snapped. use grade 12.5 bolts. i'm rewelding the supports and adding a cross brace to create a strong triangle. those supports are not that strong.

you also mentioned high speed weave. guy in the touring thread had a parabellum and said the same thing so maybe it's a big screen issue for the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post

And the one thing I'm concerned with is the compatibility with bar risers which I was planning to do soon. Was hoping to go with the Anti-Vibration Rox Risers. If anyone can comment on whether or not you think they would work with this setup, that would be hugely helpful.

Some pics of the top mount:

Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-15-2011 at 03:23 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote