Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #57976
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,456
Personally, I like the TwinAir foam filter. Properly oiled, it flows lots of air and filters dust very well.

I've tried a UNI pod filter and it worked OK, but I felt better running the bike with the TwinAir and the airbox installed (much less risk of sucking water when crossing water (or even just rinding in torrential rain).

My bike came with a K&N but I got rid of it after a few dusty rides.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #57977
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzs View Post
Can someone please send in their pic's of how they mounted the sensor pickup for their vapor on a DR650

Regards
pzs
Here are the pictures I took............

I put the magnet through one of the mounting locations in the disk

Back side showing how I attached the magnet to the disk.

I attached the pickup per the instructions to the caliper.....

When I went to mount it, it just seemed to fit in that location like it was made to be there.

Blurry picture (sorry) of the caliper mointed back on the bike......

If you need more info let me know.

Jon...
Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #57978
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 668
Thanks for the Input

Thanks to all who have, over the past few days, provided advice on aftermarket tanks. I appreciate it.
Cheers
Tim
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #57979
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Here are the pictures I took............

I put the magnet through one of the mounting locations in the disk

Back side showing how I attached the magnet to the disk.

I attached the pickup per the instructions to the caliper.....

When I went to mount it, it just seemed to fit in that location like it was made to be there.

Blurry picture (sorry) of the caliper mointed back on the bike......

If you need more info let me know.

Jon...
Jon, you realize that is a "floating disk rivet" right? by clamping down a bolt in there the outer disk may not float properly and could cause noise, warped rotors or stress cracks. Not to mention with the bolt, 2 nuts and washers you are making a wheel balance nightmare.

Is there a reason you didn't put the bolt where it was supposed to go?
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #57980
Toxic Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
new - first post

Just wanted to throw in a pic of my '09 which is the fruit of lurking here over the past few months.
Attached Images

Toxic Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #57981
SprintST
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Exhaust header gasket

If you were somewhere, in Mexico for example, with no Suzuki dealership nearby and your exhaust header gasket went kaboom what would you do?

The exhaust was off to do some rear shock work yesterday and worked fine until this afternoon. Now it's loud and backfiring all over the place. In a pinch what would you say to using a RTV High Temp silicone or would the pressure simply blow it off.

I believe these are crush gaskets that are used probably intended for a single use. I didn't see it and therefore don't know if the mechanic re-used the original but ... I'm guessing maybe he did.

Any suggestions on a fix until I can get the correct gasket?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #57982
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintST View Post
If you were somewhere, in Mexico for example, with no Suzuki dealership nearby and your exhaust header gasket went kaboom what would you do?

The exhaust was off to do some rear shock work yesterday and worked fine until this afternoon. Now it's loud and backfiring all over the place. In a pinch what would you say to using a RTV High Temp silicone or would the pressure simply blow it off.

I believe these are crush gaskets that are used probably intended for a single use. I didn't see it and therefore don't know if the mechanic re-used the original but ... I'm guessing maybe he did.

I don't expect you'd have much luck with RTV. Might blow a pretty bubble for a second.

No Suzuki shops, I know, but are there any kind of motorcycle shops around? You might find a crush washer from some other make that fits well enough to get you back on the road.

Good luck...
Old 12-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #57983
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Mark View Post
Just wanted to throw in a pic of my '09 which is the fruit of lurking here over the past few months.
lots of nice mods - sweet! and welcome!

but, you still have the stock seat? amazing!

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #57984
SprintST
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
I don't expect you'd have much luck with RTV. Might blow a pretty bubble for a second.

No Suzuki shops, I know, but are there any kind of motorcycle shops around? You might find a crush washer from some other make that fits well enough to get you back on the road.

Good luck...
Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking. Exhaust headers can't be that much different ... can they? The mechanics down this way are genius in making something out of nothing. I may take it off tomorrow morning and turn it around or something to see if it makes any difference.

This gasket isn't something I see in recommended lists of spare parts to carry. Simple thing, but a pain in the ass when it goes south.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #57985
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

I think it either fell out or he forgot to put it back. It can be re-used ... at least I did on mine. Your not talking about the fiber gasket that goes between the mid pipe and muffler are you?

You said HEADER ... which means where the pipe goes into the head ... right?

It's been ages since I had my header pipe off ... can't even recall what the gasket looks like. But ... IIRC, it's just a simple ring, not very wide at all but a specific size and thickness. Anyone confirm?

I'm sure any Mexican Taller could fashion what you need if you can tell them the dimensions. Or a good parts store for heavy trucks. They are AWESOME in Mexico, very serious business there and common in every big town. Find a good one. Unbelievable stuff. 10 times better than any US Auto parts store.

Who's got a picture of the gasket in question? Anyone?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #57986
SprintST
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I think it either fell out or he forgot to put it back. It can be re-used ... at least I did on mine. Your not talking about the fiber gasket that goes between the mid pipe and muffler are you?

You said HEADER ... which means where the pipe goes into the head ... right?

It's been ages since I had my header pipe off ... can't even recall what the gasket looks like. But ... IIRC, it's just a simple ring, not very wide at all but a specific size and thickness. Anyone confirm?

Who's got a picture of the gasket in question? Anyone?
Confirmed. The pipe that goes into the head. I'll look online for a pic.

OK, got one at this site.

http://drriders.com/topic3125.html
Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #57987
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Confirmed. The pipe that goes into the head. I'll look online for a pic.

OK, got one at this site.

http://drriders.com/topic3125.html
Yep .... now I remember it. I re-used mine. Pull the pipe back off. See if there is anything in there at all. Perhaps it's just not in correctly? Or crushed flat and not doing it's job? ... or not there at all.

My guess is you could find a nice Copper substitute. You may have to grind it a bit to conform ... but I'm thinking you can make something work.

NOTE: Also ... could the gasket go on the OUTSIDE ... between the outer sealing lip on the pipe and the pipe clamp (with bolts)? I honestly don't remember where the copper ring goes ... or inside the head or on the other side of the lip on the pipe? I know without it things get very noisy.

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #57988
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Sprint - here's a pic of one I have in my hot little hand....which you're welcome to at no cost if you're stationary for a bit. I can get in the mail in the AM. Let me know via PM or email.

http://www.procycle.us/images/bikepa...ust_gasket.jpg

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...

TrophyHunter screwed with this post 12-14-2011 at 07:59 PM
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #57989
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
OH! So that's what those are. I got a packet of 4 of things like that with my '79 Suzuki GS, and couldn't for the life of me figure out where they went! Between the header and the exhaust port. Might be useful info to know some time.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #57990
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Personally, I wouldn't modify the bike at all until you have a chance to get used to it. Have fun riding!

..................shu
Thanks for that feedback about the 'sitting closer to the tank'. I believe this is what I've been doing wrong and has my butt back from the tank a good 10 inches or so. Moving forward and embracing the tank, although it feels a funny position, seems to have given more control when going into the corners. I went for a quick spurt out the road with my GPS (just checking speedo accuracy) and thought I'd experiment with butt position and moving weight forward. Although a little bit early to verify, the corners that I hugged the tank and was sitting forward in, the bike seemed a lot more controllable. I'll report back with more feedback so others may get some benefit as well.

As far as helmet noise, I have a Arai http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?...=1&prodid=8981 - this is the exact one I have. This isn't mine however and on lone from son. I intend to get a different one in the new year but the Arai, although comfortable fitting, has a lot of side moulding and the wind, I believe, gets distorted and makes this excessive noise. Yes, I will be investing in some ear plugs. The cheap ones tend to fall out of my funny shaped ear canals and may invest in some reusable quality ones.

Anyway, thanks for those that have given me feedback and reading this thread really is a testimony that people on here have a good heart and really do like to help.

thanks heaps.
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote