Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #57976
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Those are valid concerns which I also wondered about when I decided to put it there.....

If I remember correctly the bolt was supposed to replace one of the factory bolts and I did not feel it was the best choice as a replacement. Or maybe it did not fit.....I honestly can not remember for sure since it was quite a few years ago and I do not have that DR anymore.

As far as placing it inside the rivet, it was a slightly snug fit but did not interfear with the disk floating. I checked that to make sure. If you look close the washers did not extend beyond the floating disk rivet and the reason to use the second nut was so I did not clamp down on the rivet. I just wanted to make sure the nut would not come loose since I did not have a nut with a nylon insert. I never noticed a wheel balance issues after the install.

Jon...
the weight would not be a big deal as it is close to the hub so it does not affect balance all that much (not nearly what an equal rim weight would)....could also install it opposite the valve stem and it would likely affect it even less
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #57977
SprintST
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Sprint - here's a pic of one I have in my hot little hand....which you're welcome to at no cost if you're stationary for a bit. I can get in the mail in the AM. Let me know via PM or email.

http://www.procycle.us/images/bikepa...ust_gasket.jpg
I might have known that you've have one TrophyHunter lol. Thanks but we're going to be making tracks as soon as possible and there is a Suzuki dealer in Mexico City which is sort of on our way. Appreciate the offer though.

Well, I took the header off this morning to find out that there wasn't a gasket in there at all AND the end of the pipe was broken. Don't know why it broke because that's not a stress point. Pieced it back together with some JB Weld and now I wish I'd bought the quick set stuff. Damn those fine print instructions. So much for the header weld grind.

I can only attribute the problem to the last mechanic that re-assembled the exhaust. Maybe a little too much wrenching back and forth trying to connect the mid-point connection before the header was fastened securely. I've written to the dealership to see what they have to say.

Fingers are crossed that the JB works.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #57978
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Do you have any build pics or a thread about this? I'm particularly interested in how you mounted the ignition and speedo.
You could also always do this:
Attached Images

Porrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #57979
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Mismatched Tires

Any warnings against a Pirelli MT90 front tire and a Dunlop 606 (or Pirelli MT21) rear tire in the dirt/mud/sand of Peru and Bolivia?

My MT90 has almost had it, but the front still has quite a bit of miles left.
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #57980
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintST View Post
I might have known that you've have one TrophyHunter lol.
So you won't be surprised I still have that extra header Dave took off of his bike when you were here. Avail if needed.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #57981
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerWV View Post
Any warnings against a Pirelli MT90 front tire and a Dunlop 606 (or Pirelli MT21) rear tire in the dirt/mud/sand of Peru and Bolivia?

My MT90 has almost had it, but the front still has quite a bit of miles left.
I'd guess any tires you can get there is ALL GOOD!

My preference for mud & sand on the DR650 would be knobbys at both ends. If you can find an MT21 front (or any knobby 21" front) I'd go with that instead of the MT90, which is purely a road tire. Save that MT90 front for Argentina and the 1500 miles of pavement you've got ahead of you.
I've used two sets of MT90's on my DR. Good road tires and OK on dirt roads. Not much good in sand or mud, IMHO. Bike will not turn and will plow, tire will load with mud ... and that's it.

For the rear a D606 is great. I'm amazed you found one in Bolivia, first I've heard of Dunlop tires down there. An MT21 would be fine as a rear too. And since Pirelli have a big factory in Brazil, most of S. America sees Pirelli MC tires more than any others.

There are several VERY GOOD Pirelli front knobbies out there (Moto Cross) besides the MT21. May not be as good on pavement but fantastic off road. Look at what tire World Enduro and Motocross guys run. Pirelli are very popular. I've used them and they ROCK. Just not promoted at all in the USA where only the MT-21 is well known ... and frankly, not a great tire either On of Off road, IMHO. But they last well and that seems to be the reason for their popularity.

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #57982
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Just not promoted at all in the USA where only the MT-21 is well known ...

In New England's rocks and roots the pirelli MT-18 is the tire of choice.

Almost everyone uses them.

They don't promote them here, but it's common knowledge.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #57983
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DR650 (2011) View Post

As far as helmet noise, . I intend to get a different one in the new year but the Arai, although comfortable fitting, has a lot of side moulding and the wind,.

thanks heaps.
Try this one if u don't wanna spend too much money on Arai.
http://www.atomic-moto.com/Fly-Trekk...lmet_p_78.html

I have that exact same one & i like it.
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #57984
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Thank you for the info.

I found the d606 in Medellin, Colombia. They have everything here! MT21s, MT16s, etc. I don't like carrying extra tires with me, but expect significant amounts of mud in Peru and sand in Bolivia. From an economic perspective I want to run my MT90s to the cord...but for safety I should change over to more aggressive tires in Cali, Colombia before going off into the mud to the south.

What's a few extra bucks, if it keeps one riding well...
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #57985
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
In New England's rocks and roots the pirelli MT-18 is the tire of choice.

Almost everyone uses them.
They don't promote them here, but it's common knowledge.
YES! The MT-18 is one of Pirelli's I've used. One of the best tires I've ever found. Used them on my former DRZ400E, KX250 and XR250R.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #57986
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porrick View Post
You could also always do this:
What vapor mount is that? I like it alot.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #57987
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
What vapor mount is that? I like it alot.
I got this from Highway Dirt Bikes (along with the top-clamp setup), but it may very well be a Trail Tech item.....
Porrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #57988
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
HID 35W set up

Howdy Grifter, I'm going to finally order a DDM kit today..are you happy with the 5000K or would you go a different color?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Great write up.
I too was concerned about clutter and complexity with the HID ... but if you check out my prima-tivo install of the DDM Tuning HID, you can see it's pretty straight forward .... and has nothing to do with the wiring harness. No changes required there.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=635694&page=3

The only issue is finding a spot for the ballast and ignitor to live. The only wiring on my single bulb HID kit was to UN-plug the stock three prong plug ... and plug IN the HID one. No other wiring at all. In this mode only the LOW beam lights the HID. So to shut off headlights ... you just flick to high beam on stock switch. The blue dash light is lit ... so you know your light is out.

Not only is the HID light 3 or 4 times brighter than stock ... it seems to be reliable. I did quite a bit of rough washboard in Baja and a bit of rocky two track. Light still hanging in there, now about 6000 miles on this system. A new HID bulb (IIRC) is $12 from DDM Tuning. The whole kit was $27.
ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #57989
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBedouin View Post
Howdy Grifter, I'm going to finally order a DDM kit today..are you happy with the 5000K or would you go a different color?
i am not grifter, but... i went w/4500k, and i would recommend this. it's way whiter than any standard halogen, almost but not quite bordering on that blue tint you see elsewhere. 5000k will tend even more towards blue...

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #57990
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Try this one if u don't wanna spend too much money on Arai.
http://www.atomic-moto.com/Fly-Trekk...lmet_p_78.html

I have that exact same one & i like it.
And if you are looking for really nice boots, check:
http://www.atomic-moto.com/AXO-Boxer-Boots_p_39.html
I've been riding for 40 years and have tried alot of different boots. These are really amazing, considering the price.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote