Old 12-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #58067
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilman View Post
Would this fit on the 05 DR650? This is much cheaper than Procycle TM-40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-TM40-...item27bfcc822e
I can't answer the question but you'll still have to figure this out, which is included in Procycle's kit. $159.95

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #58068
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E Ahnung View Post
Howdy all,

A few pages back, I posted about my dilemma involving a pin that I found stuck to my magnetic oil drain plug during an oil change. After some investigating and agonizing, I decided to take the advice of a Suzuki dealership's mechanic. He said they do find extraneous parts in engines once in a while, and given what I told him about my situation (as expressed in post# 57910 here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post17482497), he'd just ride the **** out of it and keep two fingers on the clutch lever for the first 1000 miles in case things lock up.

So, that's what I am doing, and it's been fine so far. There just doesn't seem to me to be any way the cam knock pin or the ones inside the driven gear of the counterbalancer shaft could pop out without those parts being removed and disassembled. I really appreciate the input that I got from people here to help me figure out where such pins are used in the engine, etc. Thanks, everyone!

Wish me luck, or tell me I'm foolish -- I'm open to hearing about it. It wouldn't be the first time I did something stupid.

Oh, and for the record, my 2002 model has a metal base gasket, which I thought wasn't used until at least 2003. I'm not complaining!
Wierd shit happens! I did a motor for a guy who installed it in his boat himself (took about a year) and soon as he fired it up it was knocking (I had ran it on the dyno before he got it--no knocking then). So I figure a piston pin stuck after sitting so long and agree to pull it apart at my expense. When I get the heads off I find a needle bearing stuck in the top of the piston. I don't take anything apart in the shop with needle bearings so I have no idea where it came from. The customer came over and looked at it and admitted he was taking apart his Bravo Drive and a few needle bearings came up missing and didn't give it a second thought. He was willing to pay for me to fix it after that!

Other things I have found pulling motors apart: screws from pipe clamps, washers, bolts, plastic shavings, and a few things I couldn't even identify.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #58069
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,167
Big adda boy for shu for the saddle bags.Cleaned up very nicely.Way too cool!

sandwash screwed with this post 12-17-2011 at 03:37 PM
sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #58070
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,315
+1

By the time you're done you'll be into it for nearly the same price as a brand new bolt-on kit from ProCycle. Just bite the bullet and order it. $450 may seem like a lot of cash, but their kit is the bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I can't answer the question but you'll still have to figure this out, which is included in Procycle's kit. $159.95

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #58071
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E Ahnung View Post
Wish me luck, or tell me I'm foolish -- I'm open to hearing about it. It wouldn't be the first time I did something stupid.

Oh, and for the record, my 2002 model has a metal base gasket, which I thought wasn't used until at least 2003. I'm not complaining!
I'm not positive ... but pretty sure metal base gaskets didn't come until '04 or '05. Not sure. But that could be how a bit metal bit got in the engine.

Others here will no more on year when Suzuki began using Metal base gaskets. Many owners changed them out ... another unnecessary expense as you can fix the oil leak with a bead of Silicone.

Fingers crossed for you ... but I'm sure ALL IS WELL! BE HAPPY .... ENJOY THE RIDE!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #58072
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I'm not positive ... but pretty sure metal base gaskets didn't come until '04 or '05. Not sure. But that could be how a bit metal bit got in the engine.

Others here will no more on year when Suzuki began using Metal base gaskets. Many owners changed them out ... another unnecessary expense as you can fix the oil leak with a bead of Silicone.

Fingers crossed for you ... but I'm sure ALL IS WELL! BE HAPPY .... ENJOY THE RIDE!
The '03 I just bought has a metal base gasket. The PO seemed very knowledgeable regarding DR's - told me he's had 7 or 8 of them, and said they switched to metal base gaskets sometime in '03. My '02 does not appear to have the metal base gasket, but no leaks, yet.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #58073
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Aftermarket top clamps

I am looking for an aftermarket top clamp for the handlebars that includes holes for mounting power ports and switches. I have seen one that is billet al that can be ordered with different configurations of power and switch layout.

Anybody know the name of the company. Seems like they were made in Montana. (I think?) I am looking for one for a KTM but saw it in this forum I'm sure.

Please help.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #58074
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Highway Dirt Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
I am looking for an aftermarket top clamp for the handlebars that includes holes for mounting power ports and switches. I have seen one that is billet al that can be ordered with different configurations of power and switch layout.

Anybody know the name of the company. Seems like they were made in Montana. (I think?) I am looking for one for a KTM but saw it in this forum I'm sure.

Please help.
highwaydirtbikes.com
Old 12-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #58075
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post

Please help.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=58156

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...ref=top_clamps
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:35 AM   #58076
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Thumb

Thats the one. Thanks guys(gals).

You're awesome.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #58077
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Now ya did it. There's sure to be comments coming like "what....?...metal base gasket? That mean somebody swapped it out...so the top end's been off...where'd you say that pin was supposed to be?...Are you sure the PO didn't drop it in there..?."

........and, we're off...!
Hmm... The good news is, if it is the cam pin then no harm will result in running without it. Especially now that the pin has found its way out of the motor.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning

procycle screwed with this post 12-18-2011 at 08:28 AM
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #58078
carcajou
Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer: 99
OK,
It has been a long time since I had a bike with a carb sine I have been chasing the rondel and she is fuel injected. My DR has a petcock and it has thee positions. The PO put an aftermarket tank and petcock. So there is reserve, prime and run (i guess). Should I turn it off of run when I park her? Not having any problems just wondering. She is a daily rider. Thanks Carcajou
Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #58079
gumbometer
hairy reasoner

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
OK,
It has been a long time since I had a bike with a carb sine I have been chasing the rondel and she is fuel injected. My DR has a petcock and it has thee positions. The PO put an aftermarket tank and petcock. So there is reserve, prime and run (i guess). Should I turn it off of run when I park her? Not having any problems just wondering. She is a daily rider. Thanks Carcajou

It's probably a good idea to make a habit of always turning the petcock to "off" when you shut off the engine.

If the needle valve and seat are in good shape, the float is adjusted correctly, and the two little o-rings associated with it are in good shape, fuel shouldn't keep flowing into the float bowl once the bowl is full enough to close the needle valve. However, if fuel does keep flowing, you can end up with a lot of fuel getting into the airbox, and worse, into the engine.

At that point, you'll have to change the oil because it's got gas in it, and you'll have to drain the airbox and maybe clean your air filter. Also, I've read that if you try to start the engine when a lot of fuel has drained into it, and if things are exactly wrong, the connecting rod can bend under the stress of trying to compress a liquid.

So, turning the petcock off can save you a lot of grief.
gumbometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #58080
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,167
Good habit to turn it off,it's kind of hard to see but there is a little arrow on the lever.When I had the stock tank I used the GF's red nail polish and painted the arrow side,way easier to see.