Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #58081
Garak
Cardassian Spy

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I'm looking for a standard length side stand. Bought a bike that was lowered and need to raise it back up. I posted in the flea market, but thought I'd ask here in case one of you guys lowered your bike and have one you might be willing to part with for a reasonable price.
FWIW, I use a short side stand on my not-lowered bike and am quite happy with it.

My LinkedIn Profile
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 AM   #58082
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
FWIW, I use a short side stand on my not-lowered bike and am quite happy with it.
Same here. I find the full length side stand sits it a little to straight up for anything not flat. Easier to find a stable parking spot with the extra lean.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #58083
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
I'm looking for a standard length side stand. Bought a bike that was lowered and need to raise it back up. I posted in the flea market, but thought I'd ask here in case one of you guys lowered your bike and have one you might be willing to part with for a reasonable price.
Sent you a PM. I am also in Maine and need a short side stand, maybe we can trade!
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #58084
malokam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I will be doing a sticker-bomb project soon and am looking for plastics. Let me know if anyone has some for sale..

Cant wait to start the project. And thanks to everyoine who sent in decals and stickers so far...

2007 DR650 SuperMoto with almost all the goodies..(it never ends ya know!)
Take a look at my cool sticker-bombing project
malokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #58085
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf View Post
Same here. I find the full length side stand sits it a little to straight up for anything not flat. Easier to find a stable parking spot with the extra lean.
Very interesting. Must have a heck of a lean doesn't it? I haven't even seen this bike yet - it's in AZ and I'm in ME . . . so I don't really know how it sits with the short side stand. My '02 has a stock stand and it leans as much as I'd ever want it to, but it sits a wee bit higher than stock due to the way it's set up.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #58086
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
. . . gas on, full choke, clutch in and no throttle. Crank it over with the starter motor- let it turn over twice. Turn the key off and let it rest 5 seconds and crank it again. Starts right up. I do keep my battery on a tender at home and replace batteries as a wear item before they give me trouble.
+1

I posted this same advice on another forum recently regarding my 1150RT. All my bikes start well in the cold (starting in 15F - 25F temps is common here in winter) and I follow basically the same procedure on all of them. I think one of the mistakes people make is just letting the bike crank way to long on the first try. I have good luck cranking 2-3 seconds then stopping if it doesn't fire up, wait a few seconds then crank again and it will start if didn't on the first crank. My DR350 is a good example (it's a kicker) - if I just set the choke & decomp and kick it in cold weather it'll probably take 2-3 kicks, but if I kick it thru very slowly once or twice without trying to start it first, then set the choke & decomp and give it one good kick it will start first kick virtually every time regardless of how cold it is, and I've fired it up in temps below 0F. I also keep my bikes on battery tenders, except for the 350 of course, since it has no battery.

Full choke
Clutch in
No throttle
Crank briefly
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #58087
Themastermike
Passin gas

Oddometer: 790
Need the std length myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Sent you a PM. I am also in Maine and need a short side stand, maybe we can trade!
If there is anyone else out there looking for a short stand, PM me and we'll look at swapping.
Themastermike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #58088
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
It didn't work out with kobukan because his bike is in AZ and he is in Maine, so I would be up for swapping with someone still!
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #58089
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Kobukan:

If you raise the bike back up before you score a longer stand, you can always attach a standard hockey puck to the short stand to get the height you need. Just drill two small holes in the stand foot and use self-tapping screws. It helps if you cut out a little square relief area the size of the foot out of the puck.

I have one of these that the PO of my short side stand made, and it works great when bike is at stock height.

Good luck,

Porrick
Porrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #58090
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
Aah, thank's Eakins & Shu, bummer to hear about that as I liked those lighterweight M-S panniers. Good to know Ove's retired though, he seemed like a nice gent.

Quote:
Epic Journey...

I can tell you, Bedouin. Sadly, no more Motosport Panniers.

The Colorado guy, Ed, was 1/2 the business. He's the same guy who makes Dirt Bagz and also owns Motogear Outlet with his wife ( great people to do business with). Anyway, Ed made the soft bags for Motosport Panniers.

Ove, the guy in California, had the machine shop and made the brackets and the metal panniers. The way I understand it Ove was 70+ years old and only doing it to keep busy and he decided this year that he'd had enough and closed the business down.

..................shu
ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #58091
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Twin Headlights

I recently installed a twin headlight set up from a Honda Ruckus on my DR650.I wired it up using toggle switches so I can run the lights singly or together and it seems to work just fine.I'm thinking maybe I should have installed a relay in there too.

All advice much appreciated. John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #58092
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
I recently installed a twin headlight set up from a Honda Ruckus on my DR650.I wired it up using toggle switches so I can run the lights singly or together and it seems to work just fine.I'm thinking maybe I should have installed a relay in there too.

whats the amp rating of the toggles, if its high enough , you wont need to
Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #58093
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post

Pics please! How's the output compared to stock?
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #58094
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
shu

Quote:
Used to go skiing with a guy who drove an old Fiat. After a day of skiing we'd have to crawl underneath and light a camping stove under the oil pan for about 15 minutes before that thing would start.

My DR starts well in the cold. I stick it in 3 or 4 th gear first, and roll it forward just a bit to get the metal bits moving. Then gas on, full choke, clutch in and no throttle. Crank it over with the starter motor- let it turn over twice. Turn the key off and let it rest 5 seconds and crank it again. Starts right up. I do keep my battery on a tender at home and replace batteries as a wear item before they give me trouble.

When the temps are in the low 20's F*, I duct tape a piece of cardboard in front of my oil cooler. I don't think the motor ever really warms up otherwise.

..............shu
I'll remember that block-the-oil-cooler thing, since I ride year round. When I know I'm going to ride a bike or use the lawn tractor to plow the next day, I stick a 100 watt light bulb under it the night before. Makes a big difference in ease of starting and warm up time. Easier on the starter motor I'm sure. Synthetic oil stays much thinner in severe cold too.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #58095
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
...When the temps are in the low 20's F*, I duct tape a piece of cardboard in front of my oil cooler. I don't think the motor ever really warms up otherwise.

..............shu
does anyone know of a plug-n-play thermostatically operated walve for the dr650 oil cooler, that won't open, until the oil reaches, say, 180f?

thanks,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote