Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #58231
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Fast forward and i've got a clunk in my rear suspension and seems to getting worse when i push it. All bolts are still torqued correct so i've elminated that.
Sounds like the lower shock or cushion arm bearings.
Mine is doing the same.
If you lift the back of the bike up and down, you can feel the clunk.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #58232
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 12,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Hey Al..........

Under construction
Al Tuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #58233
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Sounds like the lower shock or cushion arm bearings.
Mine is doing the same.
If you lift the back of the bike up and down, you can feel the clunk.
the lower shock eyelet goes bad? if so is that replacable?
update: looked at mine and it has the complete updated lower unit from cogent

cushion arm bearing? where is that?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 10:50 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #58234
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
I assume you've checked the swingarm bolt?

Whatever it is, it might help to have an extra person or two for help: one person stands on the pegs and uses their weight to bounce the bike up and down, the other person looks carefully at everything that moves. Having the 3rd person to steady the bike really helps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
i'll try that. thnx
Butler Maps website:
Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #58235
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Hey Al..........

Bill:
Put the bike on a stand, lever under the tire, have someone press and release while you put a finger on each pivot and feel for movement. I'd start at the rusty bearing. Tell 'em not to jump on the lever, because in everyone's life, there is someone special who will do just that.

Like this:

good idea!
Butler Maps website:
Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #58236
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
It's not blasphemous to make a DR a street yard by any means. So not that's it's anything new, but I disagree with 90% of what Grifter says

Not saying it's blasphemy ... just wanted the guy to understand what a Sumo works best at ... and what you're giving up and what you've gained.

BTW, I'm looking forward to hearing about your 19" conversion. IMHO, this is a great idea and has potential to do everything really well. Far as I know ... you're the first to do this Congrats! Could this be the next trend?

Just keep in mind that geometry will have changed and getting things balanced is important. (this true on a full Sumo 17" X 17" conversion as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
Easy to see who has not spent any time on a proper SM DR.
I'm no Super Moto expert but I'm not new to it either. Our magazine did two projects back in around 1998. Were you riding Super Moto bikes then?

We had a '97 DR650 test bike we bought from Suzuki (it had been crashed) This was early days of Super Moto racing in California. Cycle World's Don Canet and a few others where boosting it ... so the editor decided to do a piece on it.

A small race fabricator company handled the build, they did wide 17" wheels at both ends, Ohlins shock, re-worked Race tech forks, bigger rotors, lightened the bike up and got it track ready. The other bike was new Honda XR650R that had been made street legal. It was owned by one of our editors and not intended for the track was made to be convertable from Sumo to Dual Sport. Similar procedure with the Honda, but USD forks were added. I got to ride both bikes and neither were very good on our tight back roads, IMHO. So I've seen these builds done ... by pretty good fabricator/racers and the results were underwhelming. Russ, the Honda guy, sold off everything and kept the bike as a dual sport. The DR was put back to stock ... finally dropped an NSU bolt in 2006 ... and that's where I got my Ohlins shock from!

That same year we also tested the KTM Duke l. Impressive but not reliable.
But 2001 things had changed. I bought a near new 2001 KTM Duke ll. The magazine did a comparo of the standard Duke ll (my bike) and the KTM 640 SM. I spent two weeks riding both. These two bikes were streets ahead of either the DR650 Sumo conversion or Honda XR650R. Different world.

My Duke ll ... it still looks very good even 10 years later!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #58237
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Anyone have this issue w/ DR or other bike and replace the pivot bearings and fix it?
I don't have anything specific to add. I have had cushion link bearings (linkage) rust up and make noise. Usually they squeak. Not sure about clunking ... could be several things.

I guess you'll need to start pulling things apart and look for problems, play, rust or missing needle bearings. (easy to lose) Could be something as simple as re-torqueing the big swing arm bolts ... or could be the shock itself.

Good luck with it ... and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #58238
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,424
One day mine started clunking, it started on the last 1/8 of mile i had to go of single track, suspension just did not feel right, smooth pavement was ahead so i thought i would check, i did not see anything obvious, thought i would look closer when i got home, on the way home there is a set of rail road tracks that i usually dont slow down for, this time i damn near wrecked, got home and checked it out and the shock seal had blown, there was just a little fluid on the linkage.

Sent it off to cogent and its still riding smooth.

Does your rear suspension feel like a pogo stick? that could be a sign of the rear shock going or gone.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #58239
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
http://drriders.com/post16263.html#p16263

aleeoop70 still has one of the nicest DR set ups IMHO. I like the 19 front and round headlight. Some touring miles with the 19 bearing good results. Grifter - good point about the set up. I don't know enough about that subject to comment, but even just doing a "non-factory" lowering on my son's DR pointed out the need for getting it right.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #58240
No Degree
~~~~~~~~~~

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

Not saying it's blasphemy ... just wanted the guy to understand what a Sumo works best at ... and what you're giving up and what you've gained.

BTW, I'm looking forward to hearing about your 19" conversion. IMHO, this is a great idea and has potential to do everything really well. Far as I know ... you're the first to do this Congrats! Could this be the next trend?
Not the first guy to do it and I'm sure there are others doing it for various reasons. I like Supermotos but being purpose built they do not lend themselves to other activities. I guess you could say that about any bike. When Goodcat8 had his black DR with the 19" front I was doing the same thing. Wasn't even a copy of his project but turned out being the same thing. This was back in the Superjunkie.com days.
I like the 19" front. It gives you more versatility for my type of riding. I even considering a 19" front for my wife's KLX250SF supermoto. We hit lots of dirt roads and I believe her fear factor will go down and her confidence will go up with that setup. Here's a pic with a Distanzia fron and the stock Trailwing rear. Eventually went to full Distanzias and now morphing to Shinko 705s.
Attached Images

No Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #58241
No Degree
~~~~~~~~~~

Oddometer: 270
Another pic of a 19" DR650

One more pic.
Attached Images

No Degree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #58242
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Merry Christmas you Fuckin Fuckers...
You beat me to it! But worth saying again, Merry Christmas to all my DR buddies. (if you say DR fast it sounds like dear. )
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 12-24-2011 at 01:07 PM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #58243
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
I don't have anything specific to add. I have had cushion link bearings (linkage) rust up and make noise. Usually they squeak. Not sure about clunking ... could be several things.

I guess you'll need to start pulling things apart and look for problems, play, rust or missing needle bearings. (easy to lose) Could be something as simple as re-torqueing the big swing arm bolts ... or could be the shock itself.

Good luck with it ... and Merry Christmas.
thanks. yeah i'll start with that, retorquing all the bolts, and see what happens. trying to figure if it shock or linkage/swingarm issue.
went out w/ my wife and tried to get it to do it with us leveraging it and nothing showed. it's only when i'm off-road and pushing it in 2nd gear.

guess if i get nowhere, i'm replace the bearing when i'm back in colorado in april.
Butler Maps website:
Old 12-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #58244
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
http://drriders.com/post16263.html#p16263

aleeoop70 still has one of the nicest DR set ups IMHO. I like the 19 front and round headlight. Some touring miles with the 19 bearing good results. Grifter - good point about the set up. I don't know enough about that subject to comment, but even just doing a "non-factory" lowering on my son's DR pointed out the need for getting it right.
Yea, I don't know much about the exact science of it all ... but I happen to have a very well tuned "Seat Of The Pants". I know when a bike is right ... and when it's not.

The experts tell us that when you change one element it affects everything. Change wheel size and rake, trail, ride height ... all are affected. I'm guessing a 19" front would be a bit easier to dial-in than wide 17" sizes at both ends.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #58245
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:

My Duke ll ... it still looks very good even 10 years later!
My Nordie is 18 years old
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote