Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #58291
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
This may sound crazy, but I tried the ram mount system and it worked well on the handlebars of my DR650. Well I have three other bikes and was taking off on the Tiger. Instead of getting a new ram mount, I cable tied the little mount that came with the 70 dollar Garmin to the accessory bar. 3000+ miles later and it still is holding solid. I am a big supporter of DIY projects. In this case I just happened to try it and it worked beyond my expectations.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #58292
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
So that seat would be good for standing on the bike and the occasional laydown on the trail? Looks just a skosh wide.
No, a seat like that would be terrible off road, IMO. I'd never run it. My Corbin is fine for me ... but even the Corbin is a bit uncomfortable standing.

Those GS/GoldWing type seats are not for the DR, IMHO ... unless you just commute or do only very long road rides and never go off road.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #58293
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
http://www.gpscity.com/rammounts

I want a proper GPS (tracks & routes), but the Montana 650 costs too much, and the Garmin 60/62 screens are too small for me to read without putting on reading glasses, so until Montana prices come down, I'll keep using the Nuvi.
which nuvi is that? my budget didnt allow for a decent gps so went for the garmin nuvi 1490t. the five inch screen is really easy to read, and its the cheapest model which allows programming of routes. works quite well offroad with the garmin topo maps. it ain't no zumo but for around $160 to $200 on ebay i'm not complaining.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #58294
JustMikey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Whatever it is, I like the round headlight.
Originally it was a DR650rse, Rally Sport Electricstart. Big tank and more output on the alternator and windprotection. Here's a pic of the original bike.

And it's current state.

As you can see it evolved, or de-volved a bit
Old 12-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #58295
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
And the advantage to Sumo-ing a DR650?

If you actually plan to go Super Moto racing ... then great. Makes sense. If you have lots and lots of perfectly smooth, tight mountain corners in Minnesota ... and you think you are fast .... well then, once again go that way.

Well, I already have a set of 17" wheels for my wrr that I would likely relace to dr hubs. If I can just sell the wheels I may just do that and then do a 19" front. The 17s on the wrr, to me, just showcased the lack of power the 250 has on the street, but I like the lightweight and ergonomics of a dualsport, that's why I'm looking at the dr650 as a simple, easy to work on street bike. I'll keep the wrr too, it's a nice bike, but it's high-tech, high revving vs. low-tech and torquey on the dr.

No one ever did really answer my original question about changes and/or years to avoid?!? I guess they're all pretty much the same after '96?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
I moved from Minneapolis, MN to San Jose, CA in 1982. I moved because in MN, there are only four corners in the entire state that aren't perpendicular intersections, and there are *no* mountains. Plus, there are only two seasons: Winter, and road construction. And mosquitos - lots of 'em weigh as much as a small bird.

Lex
I know MN roads in general can't hold a candle to the mountain and coastal roads out west, but if you stay near the major river valleys or explore the driftless region in the southeast part of the state, MN has some roads worthy of riding.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #58296
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,978
96 up basically same.

I just sold my 17" front and mounted a 19" again, its perfect for me.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #58297
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
96 up basically same.
apart from some major redesign of decals and different colours.

the dr650 wiki reckons the very rare third gear probs were fixed with a different cog after 2006. also got info about the starter clutch torque limiter on 98 and some 99 models. dont know how reliable the info is...
Old 12-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #58298
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Well, I already have a set of 17" wheels for my wrr that I would likely relace to dr hubs. If I can just sell the wheels I may just do that and then do a 19" front. The 17s on the wrr, to me, just showcased the lack of power the 250 has on the street, but I like the lightweight and ergonomics of a dualsport, that's why I'm looking at the dr650 as a simple, easy to work on street bike. I'll keep the wrr too, it's a nice bike, but it's high-tech, high revving vs. low-tech and torquey on the dr.
Everyone has different bike favorites and riding styles ... all good. For me, a little WR250R super moto would only be good on a Go-Kart track ... or just putting round town. For me, not much good for anything else.

But the standard WR250R dual sport with 21" front makes a darn good dual sport bike off road and is pretty good at everything considering. Easier to handle than a DR650 off road, lighter ... and you just don't need a lot of HP on tight trails.

I own a WR250F ... great off road but no plate and can't get one .... and the gearing is so LOW it's useless on the highway with a top speed of about 50 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
No one ever did really answer my original question about changes and/or years to avoid?!? I guess they're all pretty much the same after '96?[
Essentially the same bike. There are a few subtle changes ... and warnings ... most owners don't even know about or never noticed.
1. early DR's had narrower foot pegs. Not sure where change happened.
2. Around '05 Suzuki made some jetting and timing changes ... this disclosed from a source at American Suzuki.
3. Early models used a Paper cylinder base gasket ... some leaked. Later ones (after 2002 or '03?) Use a Metal base gasket.
4. Some early models had a sprag clutch starter problem. Details are fuzzy but only affected a year or two in early 2000's or so?? Don't quote me on that one.
5. Some Carbs are different ... same model carb but a few differences. IE: My '06 Carb is different from an '09 carb I have. Subtle. Both work fine.

I'm sure there is more but fact is just about ALL the parts are interchangeable.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #58299
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
I don't mean to come over as a shit, but a few line breaks makes it much easier to read.

Good to see that you are enjoying it.
I've listened to people talk like mayrel writes. Maybe he's one of those types?

And, not to be overly pedantic, but you missed the last line break.

Lex
Old 12-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #58300
28marcb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I think the starter gear issue is in the 98, 99 models..keintech sells the clutch gear for the starter...
Ktm 690R
28marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #58301
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
No, a seat like that would be terrible off road, IMO. I'd never run it. My Corbin is fine for me ... but even the Corbin is a bit uncomfortable standing.

Those GS/GoldWing type seats are not for the DR, IMHO ... unless you just commute or do only very long road rides and never go off road.
The Sargent is the same way. Great sitting down, forces the legs too far apart when standing up (not comfortable).

I also have a Seat Concepts seat. I haven't had a chance to put it on the bike yet, but it looks like a good compromise. It's narrow further back then the Sargent / Corbin but flairs wider about where your butt would be when sitting down. A few reports a while back were positive on the DR Seat Concepts seat.

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #58302
carcajou
Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
DR650 is not only fun to ride, but to customize to suit your tastes as well. Can't say enough good things about it, and probably will never sell it.
+1 on Never Selling My DR
Old 12-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #58303
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
96 up basically same.

I just sold my 17" front and mounted a 19" again, its perfect for me.
Looks nice too.

Quote:
But the standard WR250R dual sport with 21" front makes a darn good dual sport bike off road and is pretty good at everything considering. Easier to handle than a DR650 off road, lighter ... and you just don't need a lot of HP on tight trails.

I own a WR250F ... great off road but no plate and can't get one .... and the gearing is so LOW it's useless on the highway with a top speed of about 50 mph.

Essentially the same bike. There are a few subtle changes ... and warnings ... most owners don't even know about or never noticed.
1. early DR's had narrower foot pegs. Not sure where change happened.
2. Around '05 Suzuki made some jetting and timing changes ... this disclosed from a source at American Suzuki.
3. Early models used a Paper cylinder base gasket ... some leaked. Later ones (after 2002 or '03?) Use a Metal base gasket.
4. Some early models had a sprag clutch starter problem. Details are fuzzy but only affected a year or two in early 2000's or so?? Don't quote me on that one.
5. Some Carbs are different ... same model carb but a few differences. IE: My '06 Carb is different from an '09 carb I have. Subtle. Both work fine.

I'm sure there is more but fact is just about ALL the parts are interchangeable.

Good info, thanks.

I don't want to pan the wrr, it's a great bike that'll do 85-90 mph (gps verified). I just want something with more low-end torque that's easy to work on with out a lot of complexity or electronics, and I like that you can make pretty significant power gains relatively simply too, with the dr.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #58304
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Wiring up Hot Grips

Good day all,
I'm thinking of using the electrical plug above the headlight for wiring in my heated grips. They draw 16watts (1.33 amps) on high per grip. Does anyone know if this will be ok, ie, are these wires sufficient to power the grips without overheating, etc? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Do I need to run a relay or fuse if I can use this connecter? Thanks.
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #58305
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Question new Acerbis tank

I was reading on a different forum page Jeff at PC has the new Acerbis tank and is testing it, I was wondering how it is going. 6.5 gallons, $360 without locking cap and two petcocks like the safari tank.

zdiver1 screwed with this post 12-26-2011 at 08:55 PM
zdiver1 is online now   Reply With Quote