Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #58546
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Because we all love pics..... here you go!

End of the year ride yesterday, had a blast, and my new symtec heated grips worked great! Top of my hands were a little chilly, but not bad. Happy New Year ADV'ers!

Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #58547
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
4th and 5th gear. Like someone is tapping on the bottom of the engine case for lack of a better way to describe it. It goes away when I downshift and the R's go up. Thought chain was slapping but it's fairly snug. Bike has 3000 miles on it. Sprockets look good. Any ideas?
Tight chain links.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #58548
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
You know I read this and thought "nah, chain's well-lubed

and has low miles" but you know what? I tightened the chain a couple of weeks ago and haven't ridden it much since then before yesterday and today. As I was just putting the bike back into the garage I checked the chain. I've got about an inch wiggle room either up or down when the bike is on the kickstand, but when I stand the bike straight up it's even tighter. It must be tight as hell with me sitting on it! I need to loosen the chain tension a notch if nothing else ... you may be right .
Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #58549
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Thumb Procycle 10% off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
Because we all love pics..... here you go!

End of the year ride yesterday, had a blast, and my new symtec heated grips worked great! Top of my hands were a little chilly, but not bad. Happy New Year ADV'ers!

I think Procycle should give a 10% off your next order if you send them a picture of your bike with the procycle sticker on it! and free shipping on one order, I know I would make a very large order maybe a grand or two.

zdiver1 screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 01:36 PM
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #58550
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I just hook both wires to the battery on my bikes.
The kit has poor instructions It says something about a negative or positive ground battery WTF!
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #58551
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
For those that installed an HID Kit, did you use any sort of relay or relay harness?

I'm looking at this harness from Eastern Beaver:
Non-H4 Universal Headlight Relay Kit
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...n-h4_kits.html

I see it is set up for 2 bulbs, while the HID kit I have is only one bulb (Hi/Lo)
This is the "kit" I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/35W-HID-Moto...ht_3231wt_1037
Better yet, skip the relay/relay harness all together?
In my expereince of H4 HID kits, they have a relay in them. They run a power feed direct from the battery with the relay switched through the normal lighting circuit so no additional relays are needed.

Mine is actually fed by relays because I set it up initially for a +80% H4 Halogen and fitted one for each beam adjacent to the light fuses on the air box under the rhs sidepanel to improve efficiency. Not needed with the HID, but works, so still there, and if I go back to a normal bulb, its what I prefer.

Steve
Old 01-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #58552
LXIV-Dragon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
When hooking up the tender on the DR do you just hook both wires to the battery or do you put the black wire to ground on the frame? I am putting my HID kit on today so I might as well hook up my tender that has been setting on the work bench for a year now.
As others have said just attach both to the battery.

Interesting to note that the fuse on this is 3A but on the clip attachment it is 7.5A

'07 Suzuki DR650SE - '06 - '03 Ducati 999 '13 Husqvarna TE449
2011 TAT; No Reservations
LXIV-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #58553
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye
why dont you clean all the grease off & just mask them off
they wont get hurt in the oven
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2
Yes, that's how it's done. Just start by sharpening the punch on a bench grinder (grind it flat).

Plugeye has a good point about leaving them in.
I didn't know I could leave them in. They should be easy enough to mask/protect. Hopefully, the powder coater won't have an issue with that, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1
When hooking up the tender on the DR do you just hook both wires to the battery or do you put the black wire to ground on the frame? I am putting my HID kit on today so I might as well hook up my tender that has been setting on the work bench for a year now.
I have Battery Tender leads on all the bikes I own. They're all wired to the battery (+ & - ) connectors.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #58554
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower View Post
Adv Grifter, did you fit the switch onto one of the wires running to the globe (White, Yellow or Black+White) or did you fit to another wire.
Cheers Richo.
Yes Richo ... it was one of those two .... can't recall which. I'll look next time I take the cowl off. But I know Yellow was involved! Use your VOM meter and make sure. Mine was set up so that when OFF on my switch I could go to high beam by switching the stock switch. This was good if I needed light right away as my ON/OFF switch was tucked up in the Cowl on that little shelf.

Now it's changed for me because I have the HID. It's a single filament HID buld so only works on Low beam ... which is fine. When I switch stock switch to high beam ... light is off but Blue High beam light goes on in the pod.
This is all much simpler than it sounds!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #58555
shu

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
Can you feel it primarily in the pegs? I haven't had this bike very long and just noticed this yesterday ... it does smooth out if I downnshift at 45 ... but it's a sharp knock on the pegs feel .... normal?
Normal, but not great for the bike. The DR motor likes to spin, better to have the revs a little high than to lug it.

.........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #58556
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I think Procycle should give a 10% off your next order if you send them a picture of your bike with the procycle sticker on it! and free shipping on one order, I know I would make a very large order maybe a grand or two.
Ha! That would be sweet! This is great advertising for them is it not?

Someone that's spent a ton there ought to completely cover their bike in those procycle stickers... it could be epic.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #58557
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Epix... check these out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
For those that installed an HID Kit, did you use any sort of relay or relay harness?

I'm looking at this harness from Eastern Beaver:
Non-H4 Universal Headlight Relay Kit
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...n-h4_kits.html

I see it is set up for 2 bulbs, while the HID kit I have is only one bulb (Hi/Lo)
This is the "kit" I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/35W-HID-Moto...ht_3231wt_1037
Better yet, skip the relay/relay harness all together?
Here is a link of what I recently did to my DR650 with the DDM Hi/Lo kit; it may seem a little confusing but i did my best to make it make sense. Basically I cut the connectors off of DDM's harness, and wired the power straight to the Ballast, and then power for the high beam solenoid to the respective wires on the DDM bulb. No relay at all, I have installed DDM bulbs in my car with no relay, and they have been working great for the last 2 years. After my install they bulb lights every time, the bike starts great, the high beam works great too! I really like having that high beam over only a low beam. Check it out, let me know if i can help.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=635694&page=5

Here is a link to ADV Grifters write up, he went with the Low only option though, but still great reference as he did a great job writing and showing how it's done.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=635694&page=3
Old 01-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #58558
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
The kit has poor instructions It says something about a negative or positive ground battery WTF!
FWIW old British bikes are positive ground so the stock Battery Tender lead is a BAD idea, the hot side is exposed and unfused on the battery quick connect lead...that is why they ask...had to remove the BT lead that the PO installed from my Norton for that reason

victor441 screwed with this post 01-01-2012 at 06:00 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #58559
badmanners
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower View Post
I would pay the extra for a battery that I know won't let me down, when miles from home in the Desert and no kick start Peace of mind over a few $$$ is worth more than any saving in the short term. Planning on doing the Canning Stock Route later this year and just want the option of being able to direct max battery power to the starter when needed.
G'day Tyrepower, seeing as you are in the same neck of the woods (In a global way ) I thought I would bring this to your attention, I am going to give this one a go this week, good price and like you I am keen on a good CCA rating where this one as the kids say "ROCKS"

http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.a...roducts_id=274

Cheers, badmanners.

I wee in public!

Well you told me about nowhere, well it sounds like someplace I'd like to go.
badmanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #58560
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Progress

Operation headlight/ignition/12volt underway.

Started breaking apart the DR for a few alterations

Took this off to put this on.

I didnt feel like taking forks off to get headlight brackets off, the soltek light wouldnt fit with them still on the forks. So I cut them off.

The headlight still wouldnt fit due to hitting the key ignition. So off that came.... well one bolt. The other stripped and I spent an hour boring it out. Not exactly pretty.

Finally got her off and disconnected.

Still have no idea where to relocate it too......

Started straightening the PO wiring for the vapor.

Got the aux mounted up, slid right into the prior ignition mount off the triple.

Got light buttoned up.

Still waiting on rear TKC and front caliper relocation bracket.