User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #58696
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,406
Gearshift Shaft Seal?

Is the gearshift shaft seal available by itself? If I look at the on-line parts fiche, it only appears to be available with the cover (@ ~$40). TIA, Dave.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #58697
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Hiding in plain sight, on the starter.

I better wash mine.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #58698
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Is the gearshift shaft seal available by itself? If I look at the on-line parts fiche, it only appears to be available with the cover (@ ~$40). TIA, Dave.
#4 #26 here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/2004-suzuk...5873#sch505082

Hiya Rusty. Clean thru no effort on my part.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 01:35 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #58699
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,962
Question Swing arm question?

What years did the DR650 come with 14mm swing arm pivot bolts?I am trying to figure out which DR650 swing arm will possibly fit in a GS500 frame.I thought they were all the same until early 2000's.After looking through the parts fiche,I see they have changed a great deal throughout the years.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #58700
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,595
Bike Bandit shows 1996-2011 with the same part #1111785 (Bike Bandit #). 1995's was different and that's when I quit looking.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #58701
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Anyone know if these DR350 rear wheels can work on a DR650? Local seller has 2 of them for sale (both this style) Pretty sure they are "dirt bike" style DR350 wheels, as they also had rim locks in place.

Any clue if they'll work on the 96+ style DR650?
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #58702
Fabone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Anyone know if these DR350 rear wheels can work on a DR650? Local seller has 2 of them for sale (both this style) Pretty sure they are "dirt bike" style DR350 wheels, as they also had rim locks in place.

Any clue if they'll work on the 96+ style DR650?
No......cush less!
Fabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #58703
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,045
As far as I know Race Tech is the only ones who have actually done the weight and suspension travel calculations to determine spring rates specifically for the DR650. Even they were surprised at the results and that prompted them to manufacture a range of springs (.60 - .80) that were not previously available. Everyone else just lists springs (originally from other bikes) that will fit. In my opinion the Race Tech online calculator tends to overestimate the spring rate by a little bit for most dualsport riders. Take the RT calc. result and subtract 5%-10% and you'll have a good ballpark number for choosing a spring. Fudge that number up or down according to your riding style and personal preferences.

EIbach (and other brand) springs for the DR are the same springs used in 80s MX bikes. Same dimensions but they were developed for different riding on much lighter bikes.

Sonic doesn't make any springs but buys their springs from the same place where we get our own 'ProCycle' springs made. We also sell Eibach, Progressive and Race Tech springs. Which brand a particular spring is depends on the spring rate. There's no reason for us to stock 3 different brands of .47 springs.

Forget about sag on the front. Put in some .50 or .55 fork springs with about 1/2" - 3/4" of preload and go riding.

Don't overthink the spring selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
aren't the spring rates #s high w/ racetech than with all the other mfg?

eibach shows ALOT lower rates so who is correct???
and can you even compare eibach to racetech because the #s are SOOOO different?
http://performance-suspension.eibach...cation_look_up
but eibach does not have a weight lookup chart.
so who knows what eibach rates to use?

i have too high (not enough sag for my weight - 175lbs) of an eibach spring (.50) and will be selling it this spring and buying the correct spring.

trying to find my correct rate and what the .50 is rated at. i'm thinking 250lbs plus. who needs a big boy fork spring?

then there is the progressive option plus sonic springs rates?
http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/...28df1bce218b28

jeff???

jesse carries eibach's (i'm guessing i need to call him) and i'm not sure who makes procycle's straight rate springs (sonic or eibach).

my rear is perfect w/ a cogent redone rear shock and correct spring.

bueller?
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #58704
luckett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
aren't the spring rates #s high w/ racetech than with all the other mfg?

eibach shows ALOT lower rates so who is correct???
and can you even compare eibach to racetech because the #s are SOOOO different?
http://performance-suspension.eibach...cation_look_up
The racetech site used to recommend the lower rates that everyone else has. I know the rate they recommended for me was too soft as my bike will often bottom out in whoops, g-outs and small jumps. They recently changed their online app to recommending much higher rates. Previously, they were probably just recommending what they had on the shelf to sell rather than the appropriate rate. I wouldn't fully trust all the info on racetech's website, but the other websites probably aren't correct either.
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #58705
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I'm not sure what to do with my suspension. It works fine as stock, even though I'm 245 lbs. I think I've only bottomed it once and do prob about 40 off road 60 on road. I do admit its soft, but it works, I guess It might have to do with I've never felt or ridden anything else. Not sure it's worth my money. Do you guys think it's best to call keintech?

I've read on here some guys think new springs were too hard. But that's changing to straight rate springs when the stockers are progressive.
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #58706
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocycle View Post
I'm not sure what to do with my suspension. It works fine as stock, even though I'm 245 lbs. I think I've only bottomed it once and do prob about 40 off road 60 on road. I do admit its soft, but it works, I guess It might have to do with I've never felt or ridden anything else. Not sure it's worth my money. Do you guys think it's best to call keintech?

I've read on here some guys think new springs were too hard. But that's changing to straight rate springs when the stockers are progressive.
I'm 260 pounds and the .50 springs are almost too soft sometimes. Most of the time they are fine though. Good enough for touring IMO.

I ran stock when I lived on the coast, once I got into some hills with no flat surfaces I got the better springs. I can catch some mild air off jumps without bottoming out now. The rear usually bottoms first... I need a new shock, it really rides bad with the OEM shock and a 8.4 or whatever it is procycle spring... The stiff spring overwhelms the shock...

I do like the procycle rear spring, it does not require an adapter. I run straight weight procycle springs front and rear.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #58707
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,122
i have 13mm of preload. weigh 175 nude and have .50 eibachs in there.
this yields 1.5" of sag.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468588
...and it's frigin' harsh. the fork deflects of everything as the rate is too much.
it's become clear after i've optimized my Cogent rear shock finally.

kinda confused jeff, as i thought you knew suspensions better than this.
fork travel is 10.2" and thus the 25% of sag that all other suspension tuners recommend says i should have 2.5" of sag? why are you saying 1.5" of sag is ok and if i add a stiffer spring/even lass sag (.55) that's ok too???

please enlighten me why you recommended staying with what i have or going stiffer because it ain't workin" for me? have you tested w/ intiminators as it sounds like your a race tech emulator guy.
are race techs numbers not equal to eibach (thus the confussion) or do you think 1.5" of sag is ideal?

i was hopping you'd have all the DR guru answers, but i'm confused as ever?

so question to other intiminator users, what spring rate are you using?
i'm thinking .46-.48 at this point.

stock is .40 correct???

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
As far as I know Race Tech is the only ones who have actually done the weight and suspension travel calculations to determine spring rates specifically for the DR650. Even they were surprised at the results and that prompted them to manufacture a range of springs (.60 - .80) that were not previously available. Everyone else just lists springs (originally from other bikes) that will fit. In my opinion the Race Tech online calculator tends to overestimate the spring rate by a little bit for most dualsport riders. Take the RT calc. result and subtract 5%-10% and you'll have a good ballpark number for choosing a spring. Fudge that number up or down according to your riding style and personal preferences.

EIbach (and other brand) springs for the DR are the same springs used in 80s MX bikes. Same dimensions but they were developed for different riding on much lighter bikes.

Sonic doesn't make any springs but buys their springs from the same place where we get our own 'ProCycle' springs made. We also sell Eibach, Progressive and Race Tech springs. Which brand a particular spring is depends on the spring rate. There's no reason for us to stock 3 different brands of .47 springs.

Forget about sag on the front. Put in some .50 or .55 fork springs with about 1/2" - 3/4" of preload and go riding.

Don't overthink the spring selection.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 09:43 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #58708
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
I'm 260 pounds and the .50 springs are almost too soft sometimes. Most of the time they are fine though. Good enough for touring IMO.

I ran stock when I lived on the coast, once I got into some hills with no flat surfaces I got the better springs. I can catch some mild air off jumps without bottoming out now. The rear usually bottoms first... I need a new shock, it really rides bad with the OEM shock and a 8.4 or whatever it is procycle spring... The stiff spring overwhelms the shock...

I do like the procycle rear spring, it does not require an adapter. I run straight weight procycle springs front and rear.
so that's what i was thinking .50 eibachs are good for someone around around 250lbs. i'll be selling mine when i'm back in colorado in april.
thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #58709
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,390
Quote:
so that's what i was thinking .50 eibachs are good for someone around around 250lbs. i'll be selling mine when i'm back in colorado in april.
thanks.

I would guess .47 springs are the most popular.

I run that big ass Safari tank and the .50's will bottom a little with my fat ass and a full load of fuel off a mild jump. Its actually a smooth ride for me with the .50's....
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #58710
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
I would guess .47 springs are the most popular.

I run that big ass Safari tank and the .50's will bottom a little with my fat ass and a full load of fuel off a mild jump. Its actually a smooth ride for me with the .50's....
i would guess then with all that weight/fuel you could be pushing someone similar too a 300lb body weight and especially if you get air. for me i stay on the ground and want to travel quickly and plushly.
i never expected the DR to be an air machine nor do i want to risk that when touring.

who elses use a .47, how much do you weigh, what are your valves and how does it work?

i've emailed jesee and rick @ cogent for input.