Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #59026
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
just incase i do have to split inner and outer tubes, can anyone remember what sized nut fits the internal rod thing to hold it from turning while you remove the cap screw at the base of the fork? ive got a tool at home in australia that will do the trick but i can probably get a new one made up for $2 if i can get the correct nut size.

30mm
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #59027
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
If you want the snap to pull 2nd gear wheelies on stock gears without clutching, drill the 2nd hole in the slide. It may accelerate slide wear, but you can budget for carb parts/upgrade, enjoying the extra snap in the meantime.
That second hole makes that much difference? I was afraid to drill it because of the serious surging problems this bike has had... but those wheelies sound nice.

I was a little disappointed that the kit didn't come with settings for a non-cut airbox. I like to keep my bikes stock (except to fix California smog de-tuning!). I tried the airbox door off but I didn't like that the sound of of the intake is louder than the exhaust.

Are there settings that work with the stock airbox or is there no choice but to cut?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #59028
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
That second hole makes that much difference? I was afraid to drill it because of the serious surging problems this bike has had... but those wheelies sound nice.

I was a little disappointed that the kit didn't come with settings for a non-cut airbox. I like to keep my bikes stock (except to fix California smog de-tuning!). I tried the airbox door off but I didn't like that the sound of of the intake is louder than the exhaust.

Are there settings that work with the stock airbox or is there no choice but to cut?
When I got my DR650, the PO had cut the top and taken off the side of the airbox. After riding it a bit, I decided that it made too much noise from the intake. I bought the stock side cover and put it on. Now it's quieter and with the top opened, (and the extra hole drilled in the slide),it's pretty snappy!
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #59029
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
so has anyone ever replaced fork seals without dismantling the forks completely? im in kupang, indonesia on my way to bali where i plan to replace the blown right seal but am not really looking forward to dismantling the forks.

just incase i do have to split inner and outer tubes, can anyone remember what sized nut fits the internal rod thing to hold it from turning while you remove the cap screw at the base of the fork? ive got a tool at home in australia that will do the trick but i can probably get a new one made up for $2 if i can get the correct nut size.
Have you tried to run a thin film strip around the seal lip? Many leaks are just a bit of debris caught there.

Getting the seal out without disassembly could be a pita, here's pics so you can think about a solution.

Edit: This might work, carefully pull it around the diameter.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 11:47 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #59030
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
I was a little disappointed that the kit didn't come with settings for a non-cut airbox.
That is because the needle profile is not correct for an intact airbox. If you don't open up the airbox your jetting will be too rich from about 1/4 throttle to 3/4 regardless of where you have the clip positioned. It is not possible to have it both ways.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #59031
Willson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
3rd gear problem

Hi everyone,

Just a little update on my transmission problem.
Got stuck in Mexico with a broken 3rd gear. I got lucky and found a tooth while changing the oil. After splitting the case I could clearly see a long crack on the 3rd gear, it would have broken in half for sure...
Changed both 3rd drive + 3rd driven gears.
The bike stayed in the shop for a whole month while I waited for parts from the US, it took forever to get them even with DHL. Got the bike back it runs smooth now.

parts + service + food + accommodation cost me about $1000. I am heading to Costa Rica to find work.

Just wanted to thank everyone for there advises. Pretty cool to just post a pic of a piece of steel on the net and having guys telling you exactly what it is in a few minutes...!

Thanks again !
Willson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #59032
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Hi Willson:
Thanks for the feedback, I frequently wonder what happens in situations like yours.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 02:20 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #59033
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,975
Procycle Jeff

you have any side by side pics of your 2 option for DIY seat covers?
seat concepts & saddleman
http://procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#bodyframe
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #59034
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
That is because the needle profile is not correct for an intact airbox. If you don't open up the airbox your jetting will be too rich from about 1/4 throttle to 3/4 regardless of where you have the clip positioned. It is not possible to have it both ways.
Ah I see. The new needle does a have a radically different profile than the stock one (much thinner at the end). Thanks for the info, I guess I have to cut.

Someone should make an airbox "silencer hi-flow side cover" for those who don't like irreversible mods
Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #59035
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Someone should make an airbox "silencer hi-flow side cover"
Yeah, I've looked at doing just that but have not come up with a way that would still allow the airbox to fully breathe.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #59036
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 441
Thanks for the update on your solution - you made the correct choice, not replacing everything the mechanic recommended. Seeing the "long crack" in the gear also provides backing to those recommending immediate inspection of the gears. Something akin to "Where there's smoke, there's fire."

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willson View Post
Hi everyone,

Got stuck in Mexico with a broken 3rd gear. I got lucky and found a tooth while changing the oil. After splitting the case I could clearly see a long crack on the 3rd gear, it would have broken in half for sure...
The bike stayed in the shop for a whole month while I waited for parts from the US, it took forever to get them even with DHL. Got the bike back it runs smooth now.

parts + service + food + accommodation cost me about $1000. I am heading to Costa Rica to find work.

Just wanted to thank everyone for there advises. Pretty cool to just post a pic of a piece of steel on the net and having guys telling you exactly what it is in a few minutes...!

Thanks again !
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #59037
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willson View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks again !
Nice to have the update, glad you didn't decide to run it any farther after finding the chunk.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #59038
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrMnnn View Post
My thoughts exactly - how do you remove the bearing to regrease it, without hammering/putting pressure on the inner race? If you don't remove it, how can you properly clean all the grit out before re-greasing it?

I think my DR dual sealed bearings were about $30 front and rear including carrier bearing, purchased at a bearing supplier (not including seals). Why stuff around trying to remove and re-grease them when you can just replace them with brand new ones?

IMHO, put new dual-sealed bearings in frequently, every set of chain/sprockets, every 10,000km whatever. They are cheap, it's an easy job, and if you always have newish bearings in you are unlikely to have bearing problems.
Cleaning bearings in situ isn't too hard with the right tools. You obviously need to expose the balls. Carefully plucking the seal if you have one. I use a very small flat blade screw driver from the outside and case not to damage the seal.

I use an air compressor and fluid blow gun and it works a treat. I use a mix of degreaser and diesel or kerosine. Don't spin the bearings dry. I'll also use some chain lube, I like Shell for this purpose, to foam its way into the bearing when relubing. I don't like the Shell on chains, buts its a great heavy duty lube for bearings like these and suspension linkages, and other jobs around the bike and shed.

FWIW, I'm not a great fan of cleaning bearings. Get them properly installed and lubed, and if they need cleaning then its probably because they are already on the way out. For me, after installation, leave them be, or replace. I generally repack new wheel bearings though, using double sealed ones. pluck the seal, press in some more high temp wheel bearing grease, and some Shell chain lube. Don't overfill them, I reckon about 70-80% full.

Re C3 bearings. They are normally intended for use inside engines, or where temperatures are higher. The extra clearance/slop that they have engineered into them is taken up by the expansion in the hotter environment and then should end up about the same clearance as the C2 s we normally use in wheel bearings etc.

Whether, C3s are a good idea in wheels, no idea, but if it works, can't be bad

Steve
Old 01-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #59039
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
what is high mileage on a DR??

Hi All,

I sold one of my other bikes and now have the cash to buy my first DR650.

I have found a 2005 with 23,000 miles for $2700. A good price I think but what kind of miles do the DRs get before the motors start to need work assuming it was well maintained?? 40K, 50K, 100K????

Thanks for the help!!

Michael
Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #59040
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Speaking of wheel bearings, where/what are the best ones to put in the DR? I'm pretty happy with the OEM bearings, no problems at 30,000 miles on my 2009, but thinking I may need some soon? Are the OEM ones sealed, and if not, what's the difference? Sorry, I'm a noob at mechanics.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Cleaning bearings in situ isn't too hard with the right tools. You obviously need to expose the balls. Carefully plucking the seal if you have one. I use a very small flat blade screw driver from the outside and case not to damage the seal.

I use an air compressor and fluid blow gun and it works a treat. I use a mix of degreaser and diesel or kerosine. Don't spin the bearings dry. I'll also use some chain lube, I like Shell for this purpose, to foam its way into the bearing when relubing. I don't like the Shell on chains, buts its a great heavy duty lube for bearings like these and suspension linkages, and other jobs around the bike and shed.

FWIW, I'm not a great fan of cleaning bearings. Get them properly installed and lubed, and if they need cleaning then its probably because they are already on the way out. For me, after installation, leave them be, or replace. I generally repack new wheel bearings though, using double sealed ones. pluck the seal, press in some more high temp wheel bearing grease, and some Shell chain lube. Don't overfill them, I reckon about 70-80% full.

Re C3 bearings. They are normally intended for use inside engines, or where temperatures are higher. The extra clearance/slop that they have engineered into them is taken up by the expansion in the hotter environment and then should end up about the same clearance as the C2 s we normally use in wheel bearings etc.

Whether, C3s are a good idea in wheels, no idea, but if it works, can't be bad

Steve
dljocky is offline   Reply With Quote