Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #59206
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
I have an FCR on my DR but its running abit rough from idle to 1/8th throttle.
It coughs and backfires what sounds like through the airbox, when im holding it at 1/8th throttle it will hiccup and then stall sometimes.
When its fully warmed up it seems to run fine. Seems to take a long time to warm up out of this state.

cheers for any advice
You can't make jetting judgements on a motor that is not fully warmed up. Of course it is going to act lean while it is in the process of warming up. Leave the choke on a little longer. If it runs fine when it is warmed up but also takes a while to get to the point of being fully warmed up and running good then that tells you the jetting is just on the lean edge of correct. This setting will give you the best fuel economy.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #59207
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
You can't make jetting judgements on a motor that is not fully warmed up. Of course it is going to act lean while it is in the process of warming up. Leave the choke on a little longer. If it runs fine when it is warmed up but also takes a while to get to the point of being fully warmed up and running good then that tells you the jetting is just on the lean edge of correct. This setting will give you the best fuel economy.

thanks mate. i guess all my previous bikes have been too rich, as they seem to idle by themselves while warming without choke.
With the FCR i give it the two squirts with the AP and it stalls out on the DR. But if its giving me maximum fuel economy while warmed up i can deal with this.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #59208
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
For those of you who have installed the Vapor on your DR650, can you post some pictures of how you mounted the speedo sensor. Some pictures of how you mounted it to your bars would be nice. Did anyone else find that the temp wire that goes under the spark plug should be a bit longer? It works, but its just barely long enough.

One other question, how did you guys wire the tach sensor? I wrapped it probably 10 times around the spark plug wire. I haven't started the bike yet (its inside my house) so I don't know if this is going to work. Should I wire it to the coil? If so does anyone have pictures of how they wired it this way?

Motodeficient screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 05:26 AM
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #59209
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGS View Post
What do you guys use for tank bags? I like the Wolfman Enduro for its size and (presumed) functionality, but it's $80 and another $15 for the rain cover which seems ridiculous. Anything similar and cheaper out there?

That's what I use. It's high quality and made in the USA. Suck it up and pay.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #59210
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
I just made a 3+3(?) angle bracket(alu) and rubber mounted it:
Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #59211
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Thanks. I have a supermoto setup with 320mm rotor. Not sure how this is going to affect things, I have seen a lot of people with supermoto setups ziptie the sensor to the fork.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #59212
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,027
What panniers are you using?

Been doing a lot of research on panniers for the bike. Can't decide what to go with. The Wolfman Expedition bags look and sound great but it's around $450 by the time you get the racks. Dirt Bagz are cheaper but smaller and aren't waterproof. For the price of the Wolfman bags I can add another $150 and get the Happy Trails Teton 9" cans with racks but they're huge and actually bigger than I need for the DR but they'd be the cats ass on the Tiger. Don't want to spend a fortune on panniers but I will be taking trips on this bike and need to carry camping gear. What are you guys using? Anyone using the Wolfman Expedition bags with this cheapo eBay side rack...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DR650-Side-L...sories&vxp=mtr
I know, this has been covered many times I'm sure...

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 08:47 AM
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #59213
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGS View Post
What do you guys use for tank bags? I like the Wolfman Enduro for its size and (presumed) functionality, but it's $80 and another $15 for the rain cover which seems ridiculous. Anything similar and cheaper out there?
I am with Scodill. Suck it up and get the Wolfman. Great bag.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #59214
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,008
Another vote for the made in America Wolfman.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #59215
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,503
Where can I get a chainguard for my 2006 DR650?

Mine's broken and I can't seem to locate one anywhere. Doesn't somebody sell an aftermarket guard that's better
than the flimsy factory one?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #59216
MarkGS
No I don't ride a bimmer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Another vote for the made in America Wolfman.
Alright, I ordered it. I think I have farkle fatigue.
MarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #59217
eRRmmm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Been doing a lot of research on panniers for the bike. Can't decide what to go with. The Wolfman Expedition bags look and sound great but it's around $450 by the time you get the racks. Dirt Bagz are cheaper but smaller and aren't waterproof. For the price of the Wolfman bags I can add another $150 and get the Happy Trails Teton 9" cans with racks but they're huge and actually bigger than I need for the DR but they'd be the cats ass on the Tiger. Don't want to spend a fortune on panniers but I will be taking trips on this bike and need to carry camping gear. What are you guys using? Anyone using the Wolfman Expedition bags with this cheapo eBay side rack...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DR650-Side-L...sories&vxp=mtr
I know, this has been covered many times I'm sure...

I'm using Rjays pannier bags only AU$70 but not sure if you can get them over there. Don't have a pic of them on my bike yet but this is from their website

They're about the same size as AndyStrapz bags but much cheaper. Quality is ok, certainly not up to the standard of Wolfman or Andystrapz, but they'll do. Straps are stupid, I cut them off and use AndyStrapz straps to strap them to the racks (still use the velcro straps over the seat though). They are rolltop and water/dust resistant but not waterproof - I only put stuff in them that is sealed anyway.

Those PMR racks.... hmmm. Others seem to have had a good run with them. I fitted mine a few weeks back - the LHS rack didn't fit properly, it had to be bent to make the holes line up, they were about 5mm out. The RHS rack rubs on the plastics even without any bags mounted. They supply bolts to mount them up with, but they were the wrong thread and thankfully I worked that out before I wrecked the threads in my frame. You can't get to the seat bolts with a t bar unless you remove the racks (small detail but it could have been avoided with careful design). You can't get the RHS side cover off (and therefore the seat) unless you remove the rack, which involves removing/loosening the muffler mount bolt. I like to remove the seat when replacing the air filter after cleaning so I can see it is sealing, that is now a hassle and I'm worried about wear on the threads/bolt from repeatedly removing/tightening the muffler mount bolt.

I sent a message to the vendor and he said I had them mounted upside down (I didn't) and told me the bolts were the right ones (they weren't obviously). So yes they are cheap, but the quality is reflected in the price. I regret the purchase and wish I had put the cash towards better quality racks. If I had the chance to do it again I'd go for wolfman bags and racks from what I've seen.
eRRmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #59218
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrMnnn View Post

Those PMR racks.... hmmm. Others seem to have had a good run with them. I fitted mine a few weeks back - the LHS rack didn't fit properly, it had to be bent to make the holes line up, they were about 5mm out. The RHS rack rubs on the plastics even without any bags mounted. They supply bolts to mount them up with, but they were the wrong thread and thankfully I worked that out before I wrecked the threads in my frame. You can't get to the seat bolts with a t bar unless you remove the racks (small detail but it could have been avoided with careful design). You can't get the RHS side cover off (and therefore the seat) unless you remove the rack, which involves removing/loosening the muffler mount bolt. I like to remove the seat when replacing the air filter after cleaning so I can see it is sealing, that is now a hassle and I'm worried about wear on the threads/bolt from repeatedly removing/tightening the muffler mount bolt.
Hmmm, looking at those ebay racks I can see where it might be a PITA to get the plastic off and get to the seat bolts. Thanks for pointing that out.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #59219
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 4,094
Steering Bearing Races

I recently had my DR's frame powder-coated (and took the opportunity to switch from purple to silver). The steering head bearings were/are in good shape so I did not feel the need to replace them. I cleaned 99% of the grease off of the races before they went to the powder-coater.

Now that the frame is back, the races have kind of a 'haze' over them. I know they were covered (I spoke specifically about covering them with the person that did the work). The haze feels kind of like the old "cosmoline" that was sprayed on cars when they were shipped from the factory.

What would you suggest I use to clean the races? I was thinking a piece of scotch-brite and some acetone or lacquer thinner would work. Suggestions?

TIA

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #59220
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Hmmm, looking at those ebay racks I can see where it might be a PITA to get the plastic off and get to the seat bolts. Thanks for pointing that out.
I bought those PMR racks a couple months ago, still not fitted on the bike. Will report back after I put them in. First time I am hearing fitment issues with these racks .