User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #59701
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
exhaust port materials

One of my exhaust flange bolts backed out, so I removed the other bolt to replace the exhaust gasket while I was at it. When I pulled the flange, no exhaust gasket fell out. I probed around with a dental pick, and it seems that there is some sort of copper ring in the exhaust port, the same diameter as the exhaust gasket. The copper ring had no intention of coming out with modest effort, so I put in the new exhaust gasket and buttoned it up.

It's possible that the PO didn't put in an exhaust gasket when he replaced the stock exhaust with a full FMF system (for instance, he left out the spring and O-ring on the oil filter, too!).

So, is there supposed to be a pressed-in copper insert in the head where the exhaust gasket sits, or is the copper part of the FMF system, or ... ?

TIA.

P.S. Got to love the DR with SM wheels for rough-and-ready urban commuting!
Attached Images

sagebrushocean screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 06:59 PM
sagebrushocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #59702
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,848
Binding rear wheel...still

I've been waiting for my cush rubber from Procycle but since it didn't arrive yet figured I'd try something to see what's causing the rear wheel to bind up still. I took the wheel to work Friday and measured the depth of the new bearing I put in, they were even and seem to be seated well. So tonight I put it back on and decided to take the new brake pads out and see how the wheel spun. When I torqued the axel without the pads it spun freely. Put the pads back in and the inside pad is rubbing. These are the proper EBC pads. Is it possible I need to grind that pad down a bit? This problem is making me crazy but at least now I know the wheel and new bearings are fine.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #59703
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
So tonight I put it back on and decided to take the new brake pads out and see how the wheel spun. When I torqued the axle without the pads it spun freely. Put the pads back in and the inside pad is rubbing. These are the proper EBC pads. Is it possible I need to grind that pad down a bit? This problem is making me crazy but at least now I know the wheel and new bearings are fine.
Checking everything without the pads was a good idea. No, it's not possible that the pads need grinding. Did you get the caliper pins cleaned and greased? With the pads out, the caliper should slide in and out easily. Hell, mine fell off when I had the bike lying on the right side to fix a flat. Hang in there, there are only so many things that can be happening.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #59704
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

The caliper slides on ok but to be honest maybe it needs to be cleaned. I haven't cleaned off the sleeve that it slides onto. I suppose it could be sitting a little off and causing the problem. I'll be pulling the wheel again in a day or two to put the new cush rubber in so I'll clean that channel well. It could be something that simple I guess.
The piston is working freely. I took plenty of time to check that when I first started having this problem a few weeks ago. Good news is the Tiger is back together so I can ride that until I get this figured out. Also, I can pull the rear wheel on the DR in a few minutes now;-)

Tom Waits
Old 02-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #59705
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
...and it seems that there is some sort of copper ring in the exhaust port, the same diameter as the exhaust gasket.
That copper ring IS the exhaust gasket. The gasket gets squished into the exhaust port when the exhaust bolts are tightened and won't come out without a bit of persuasion.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #59706
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
That copper ring IS the exhaust gasket. The gasket gets squished into the exhaust port when the exhaust bolts are tightened and won't come out without a bit of persuasion.
Thanks, Jeff. Just what I needed to know!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #59707
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
The caliper slides on ok but to be honest maybe it needs to be cleaned. I haven't cleaned off the sleeve that it slides onto. I suppose it could be sitting a little off and causing the problem. I'll be pulling the wheel again in a day or two to put the new cush rubber in so I'll clean that channel well. It could be something that simple I guess.
The piston is working freely. I took plenty of time to check that when I first started having this problem a few weeks ago. Good news is the Tiger is back together so I can ride that until I get this figured out. Also, I can pull the rear wheel on the DR in a few minutes now;-)
There are 2 sets of pins, the obvious ones locating and locking the pads into the caliper. These can wear, and need to be true. The other 2 pins and likely culprit, as has been mentioned previously, are those that allow the caliper to move sideways and allow for pad wear. They are protected by rubber seals. The entire caliper needs to be able to move sideways easily, and its controlled by these pins. Remove the caliper from the carrier by pushing it towards the middle of the bike and separate it from the carrier. Careful with the rubbers. Clean and lube with high temp grease and reassemble. Confirm the caliper moves freely.

Steve
Old 02-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #59708
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
There are 2 sets of pins, the obvious ones locating and locking the pads into the caliper. These can wear, and need to be true. The other 2 pins and likely culprit, as has been mentioned previously, are those that allow the caliper to move sideways and allow for pad wear. They are protected by rubber seals. The entire caliper needs to be able to move sideways easily, and its controlled by these pins. Remove the caliper from the carrier by pushing it towards the middle of the bike and separate it from the carrier. Careful with the rubbers. Clean and lube with high temp grease and reassemble. Confirm the caliper moves freely.

Steve
Hold on, I didn't realize the caliper could be removed from the carrier. I've got to have a better look now. Thanks for pointing that out and I'll have a look tomorrow. That sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing here.
Just took a look at the schematic and I see what you're talking about. I think I'll pull the caliper tomorrow and tear it apart. That does seem to be what the problem could be. Can't really do it with it hooked to the brake line so it's time to pull it off and see what's going on.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 06:56 PM
Old 02-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #59709
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo View Post
I just used the stock DR mounts and bars when I fitted the RMZ forks to my bike.

-- alonzo
Thanks, that's what I just did tonight as well. Having the bike and new forks in 2 different locations makes it a bit more challenging for some of the 'what should be simple' tasks.
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #59710
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Speaking of brakes,where is a good source for a front braided brake hose?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #59711
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Hold on, I didn't realize the caliper could be removed from the carrier. I've got to have a better look now. Thanks for pointing that out and I'll have a look tomorrow. That sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing here.
Just took a look at the schematic and I see what you're talking about. I think I'll pull the caliper tomorrow and tear it apart. That does seem to be what the problem could be. Can't really do it with it hooked to the brake line so it's time to pull it off and see what's going on.
If the piston moves freely as you stated previously then there should be no need to disassemble the caliper, or disconnect the fluid line, just pull the wheel and then slide the caliper off the carrier. If its the problem it may need some pushing/pulling, but there is nothing that locks it in place, other than the pads on the disc. Once the disc is out of the way, slide it off the carrier and leave the hose in place.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #59712
Gentleman Pirate
Arrrrh, me hearties

Oddometer: 4
Booty

Well, blow me down. Make no mistake this, to err is human - to arr is Pirate
Gentleman Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #59713
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Thanks ADV8. That is the problem. The thing (hub bearing) barely turns. I've got it torn apart and I'll just let the Suzuki dealer down the road replace the bearing. I guess if I'm going to subject this bike to salt and grime I need to learn this stuff but honestly, I'll bet that's the reason it's been a rough ride at slow speeds since I bought the bike. I really appreciate the help locating the problem.
Hay Ride: Remember this? Well, while I was looking for it, BergDonk posted the answer. Number 6 and 8 must be straight (parallel), clean, shiny, and slippery (well greased). With the wheel off, the caliper will pull right off, to the right (leave the brake line attached). No telling what the previous owner bent. When I did mine they were gunky, both the pins and the sockets they ride in. Clean all the way to the bottom of the sockets, that's where I found debris.

Edit to add: Be very careful with greasing the sockets, at least one is a dead end hole. There's nowhere for extra grease to push out.

Quote:

Steve

Quote:
If the piston moves freely as you stated previously then there should be no need to disassemble the caliper, or disconnect the fluid line, just pull the wheel and then slide the caliper off the carrier. If its the problem it may need some pushing/pulling, but there is nothing that locks it in place, other than the pads on the disc. Once the disc is out of the way, slide it off the carrier and leave the hose in place.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 07:58 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #59714
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Great info. I don't think these are moving at all. I'll inspect this tomorrow and I think this is most likely the issue.

Tom Waits
Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #59715
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
For you WI ILL DR guys

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/2836688294.html
40cu.in.of.furey is online now   Reply With Quote