User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #59701
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
gsxr muffler jetting and turn signal question

Have a new dr to me and it surges quite a bit on top, it has the jet kit and a gsxr muffler, my friends bike has the jet kit and the stock can and runs great, is there a different jetting spec for the gsxr can? i live in michigan so elevation isnt a factor. I also have one rear turn signal thats always on and the flasher doesnt work, relay? bulb?

Thanks Greg
upsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #59702
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,319
Very impressive homemade farkles on the Aussie DR! There is a homemade farkle thread on which you may want to share those.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #59703
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
cueldee - Very nicely done. One thing I enjoy is seeing the home built mods....especially since it's beyond my skillset to get that stuff done. Thx for posting that.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #59704
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oddometer: 138
If i were you i would hang on to those parts for a bit, cuz you might find out you need them down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Ryder View Post
The new girl in the stable is a 2005 suzuki dr650 picked her up with oversized tank, Corbin seat and pelican cases. Will most likely sell the Oversized tank, Corbin seat and pelican cases (went ahead and put the stock seat and tank back on). Ready to roll now
chilibizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #59705
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
Anyone , help
3rd gear
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #59706
RWP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I'm with you there.I have a 28 inch inseam and I can't find a DS bike to fit me.Closest is a DR200 without lowering it.
I'm 5/9" but with a 28-29 inseam. And I don't like tall bikes (don't like the feeling of foot dangling in mid air on the downhill side of a trail!). Based on input from this forum, I bought a DR650 as a do-it-all bike. The rear has the lower setting on the shock plus a 1 inch lowering link, plus a Sargent lower seat. Front end is lowered in the forks. I don't ride this one in anything rougher than forest service roads so the loss of suspension travel is moot. I can now flat foot the bike and on road handling is fine.

I do agree however that dual sport and adventure bikes are too high for a lot of riders. I've been riding since 1968 and bikes have gotten consistently taller.
'07 DR650 (gone for now)
RWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #59707
alonzo
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
For those that have done the RM/RMZ Fork swap, did you also go with 1-1/8" bars? My RMZ250 (2007) Forks appear to have a 1-1/8" lower bar clamp and I'm not having luck finding any 7/8" mounts for these forks.
I just used the stock DR mounts and bars when I fitted the RMZ forks to my bike.

-- alonzo

1978 BMW R80/7
2009 BMW F650GS (do you think a new BMW every 30 years is too much?)

2006 Yamaha XT225
1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."
Ąsǝʞıq ʇɹıp ɟo ɟɟo ʎɐʇs pןnoɥs noʎ ǝqʎɐɯ uǝɥʇ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
alonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #59708
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Last oil change i fitted a magnetic sump plug and today came time for another change, the mag plug worked !!! it had 4 or 5 half mm filings and one bit maybe 1mm x 2mm and paper thin , is this normal ????? sorry no photos guys it was that bloody cold in the garage i just wanted the job done!!
Cheers Phil
Quote:
Anyone , help
+2 on this being chips from 3rd gear teeth...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #59709
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
+2 on this being chips from 3rd gear teeth...

doug s.
Thanks for the replys all, whats the next step ? keep running hope for the best , strip her down replace the gear or what??
She's a 96 with 35k kms on !!! nearly new !!! If i do need a new gear , where do i get one , is there an after market better one and how harder job is it ???
All that said its the first time in 3 oil changes i've noticed anything and they were tiny.....is this just wishful thinking ??
Cheers Phil
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #59710
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueldee View Post
The panniers shown in the first photo were homemade out of two layers of light fibreglass mat sandwiching a 4mm layer of a product called Coremat, resulting in a relatively light and extremely strong and rigid box. I used a large plastic tub partitioned in the middle as a mould. If you can imagine the two panniers back to back you'll get an idea of the size of the tub.
You made the panniers from used Real Estate signs?

Cool.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #59711
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Thanks for the replys all, whats the next step ? keep running hope for the best , strip her down replace the gear or what??
She's a 96 with 35k kms on !!! nearly new !!! If i do need a new gear , where do i get one , is there an after market better one and how harder job is it ???
All that said its the first time in 3 oil changes i've noticed anything and they were tiny.....is this just wishful thinking ??
Cheers Phil
If it is gear chips, it should sound quite whiny all of a sudden. Especially in 3rd.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #59712
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Cheers Nordieboy
We've got 3in of snow and -9° at the mo and i'm deep in rural France so the roads don't get seen to !!! i'll give it a day or so and try it without my lid
Phil
Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #59713
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Cheers Phil
start looking in a way that wont cost much money, witch hunting can get expensive.

1- take the engine side covers off first, it may be that something has broke in there, if so you fix it and buy a new side cover gasket and thats not too expensive.
2- if nothing was found in side covers then, remove rocker cover, look there for suspect items, remove head, remove cylinder just enough to get the wrist pin out leaving the piston in the bore, look down in the case on the clutch basket side 3rd is pretty easy to see, rotate the crank and look at the gears, it may need to be in gear to make some of them turn.
3- if gears look ok and side covers were ok then you will probably have to split the cases as you would have had to if 3rd was bad.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #59714
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman View Post
Have a new dr to me and it surges quite a bit on top, it has the jet kit and a gsxr muffler, my friends bike has the jet kit and the stock can and runs great, is there a different jetting spec for the gsxr can?
which jetting kit? procycle advised me that the gsxr muffler is less restrictive than the standard pipe, but still a tad restrictive compared to the power pipes (but well worth it for the low decibels i reckon). from memory the biggest main jet was 160 and they suggested the 150 for the gsxr pipe but i just ran with the 160 and she's running nicely with good fuel economy.

your jetting kit should have come with recommendations based on the type of pipe you are using?
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #59715
Burnt Toast
Slingshot: engaged.

Oddometer: 210
Gas cap question

Has anyone taken the gas cap apart? I have two, one like new, the other beaten up. I wanted to exchange the guts so the nice one would share the same key as the ignition. I got it mostly apart, but I couldn't easily get the key barrel out. I didn't want to force it and end up breaking it.

Knowledge sharers out there?
Burnt Toast is offline   Reply With Quote