Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #60256
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Basically i don't know if mine is too loud or not. I am asking the question to the collective forum if the supertrapp is a louder then normal for an aftermarket exhaust can? And will i piss off the forest Rangers? And if so is there a way to quite her down? As I definitely don't want to purchase a new can and i don't want to put that 50 ib (ok 20 or so) pound stock back on.

Boulder
The opinion I got a few years earlier was that the Supertrapp is louder than normal. So stayed away from it.

I am sure the forest rangers have seen bkes with louder pipes. I was told the sound level is bearable if you use all the discs...Keep looking for a better alternative...

My 2 cents...
Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #60257
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by malokam View Post
The Gixxer can X35F0X, comes off 01-02 600/750 is, a bit throatier than stock but WAYY lower than FMF or Tbrothers.
It has a low growl, not noise.

Plus you can find one for probably under 50 bux..
Thanks man...Im going to check it out.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #60258
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
...for the performance gain i got w/a complete carb & hedder/midpipe/muffler upgrade, i cannot see anyone not doing this to their bike...
For myself, the stock DR exhaust has a more than satisfying sounding exhaust note, exiting through a substantive sized outlet, it's constructed of stainless steel and anchored via an oem rubber mount.
With my Kientech modded airbox / Jesse tweaked DynaJet kit, it pulls 16/42 roadie gearing like a bear and gets great mileage.

Count me amongst those, more than satisfied with the stock exhaust system !

And if I want substantive weight savings, I'll skip desserts...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #60259
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
For myself, the stock DR exhaust has a more than satisfying sounding exhaust note, exiting through a substantive sized outlet, it's constructed of stainless steel and anchored via an oem rubber mount.
With my Kientech modded airbox / Jesse tweaked DynaJet kit, it pulls 16/42 roadie gearing like a bear and gets great mileage.

Count me amongst those, more than satisfied with the stock exhaust system !

And if I want substantive weight savings, I'll skip desserts...

996DL
when i bought my bike, it had the opened airbox, and carb dialed in to match. it did run well. now, w/fcr39 carb, fmf hi-flow powerbomb hedder, kientech hi-flow midpipe, and tsukigi/gsxr muffler, it pulls quite a bit stronger. gas mileage has been in the upper 40's...

ymmv,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #60260
996DL
Buell me

Quote:
when i bought my bike, it had the opened airbox, and carb dialed in to match. it did run well. now, w/fcr39 carb, fmf hi-flow powerbomb hedder, kientech hi-flow midpipe, and tsukigi/gsxr muffler, it pulls quite a bit stronger. gas mileage has been in the upper 40's...

ymmv,

doug s.
Amazing what a grand will do...

996DL
Old 02-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #60261
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Amazing what a grand will do...

996DL
or $560, w/careful shopping.

doug s.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #60262
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
choices

$560, enough for a lot of riding.
Have to admit I did buy a skid plate, some folding mirrors, and a 14 front sprocket.
Art

Quote:

doug s.

oldenuf screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 01:32 PM Reason: more info
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #60263
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,193
you're right. i stand corrected.
i looked at that over and over and thought it was 4 bolt.
bummer i thought i was finding another easy bolt up supply for the dr crowd.

Quote:
sorry, it IS the same pipe. bandit is 3 bolt design. period. definitely looks like a good option, but a 3-bolt plate will be needed. do your research - every pic that actually shows what it is, or what's being sold as oem fitment is 3 hole.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150760025166

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130619296735

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170703219064
"...Delkevic 18" Oval Silencers are a direct replacement for the bolt on original muffler..."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130639595315
"Oval Viper Bolt-On Exhaust Can

Fits

GSF1200 BANDIT K1-K4 (00-04)"

doug s.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #60264
996DL
Buell me

Quote:
I knew with the FCR (possibly used and rejetted) and value priced Tsukigi muffler, you probably managed reasonably well cost wise , but the biggest advantage with the DR is, that it's not in the least asthmatic, with the simplest of breathing mods.

Beyond that, the base format of the bike is so damned rightous (cult like), that I whole heartedly understand the levels of modding, so many owners engage in.

My decades of longing for a mint XT500 / SR500, have finally been put to rest, thanks to DR650 ownership. Gotta love a 60's Bonneville's displacement, in a gear driven counterbalanced, SACS cooled, sohc, thumper dualsport smoothie.

996DL
Old 02-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #60265
Putzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Fork spring install question...

I just received my Racetech springs from procycle. Got the 0.7 rate springs. When I removed the old springs, I noticed that they were progressive rate springs. Also, there was a steel spacer (1.5" long) and a washer that I removed. I do not know if these are stock or not. The bike has had a few previous owners, but looked otherwise stock when i bought it.

When i placed the new springs next to the old, I found that they are exactly the same length. And if I reuse the spacers that were already in it, I get about 3/4" of preload.

This all sounds way too easy to me. Racetech included an aluminum tube to cut down for spacers. But i don't see the need.

Am I missing something here? Everything I have read says that the new springs should be shorter.

Any insight is most appreciated. I don't want to put it back together again until I get some assurance that I have not missed anything.

Thanks
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #60266
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
I love motorcycles and their noises but I know for a fact that it takes a motorcycle lover to like a loud motorcycle; to everyone else they're just aggravating. The stock DR muffler is a good one, maybe a heavy one but it works well and I for one cannot see spending the time and money to "upgrade" and ending up with a louder machine. Quiet is good for the forests and for the public's attitude toward motorcycles in general.
I love my bikes as much or more as anyone, but when my neighbours kids in the paddock a km away get going until they run out of fuel and the noise echos around the valley for hours at a time its not nice....

Keep em quiet.

Steve
Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #60267
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzy View Post
I just received my Racetech springs from procycle. Got the 0.7 rate springs. When I removed the old springs, I noticed that they were progressive rate springs. Also, there was a steel spacer (1.5" long) and a washer that I removed. I do not know if these are stock or not. The bike has had a few previous owners, but looked otherwise stock when i bought it.

When i placed the new springs next to the old, I found that they are exactly the same length. And if I reuse the spacers that were already in it, I get about 3/4" of preload.

This all sounds way too easy to me. Racetech included an aluminum tube to cut down for spacers. But i don't see the need.

Am I missing something here? Everything I have read says that the new springs should be shorter.

Any insight is most appreciated. I don't want to put it back together again until I get some assurance that I have not missed anything.

Thanks
Spacer and washer are stock.
Some new springs are shorter...
You may need less preload with heavier springs.
I'm running 5mm with 0.47kg/mm Eibach springs and Intiminators.
(Fork cap is 5mm above the top of the fork tube when unscrewed.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #60268
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
$560, enough for a lot of riding.
Have to admit I did buy a skid plate, some folding mirrors, and a 14 front sprocket.
Art
i also bought an usd front end from an rm suzuki, a rear shock w/race tech walves and eibach spring, hid lighting, corbin seat, and a few other misc items. w/a total inwestment of ~$4k including the bike itself, (which came w/ims tank, vapor speedo, and sm wheels), i think it's worth it.

doug s.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #60269
chilibizkit
Wanderer

Oddometer: 138
Forking Oil Again

Can anyone confirm how may mils are needed of front fork oil for a stock 06.

I think my problem may be I am using pre 96 specs of 565ml and not the later which might be 440ml.

Anyone with a manual? Thanks.
chilibizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #60270
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
you're right. i stand corrected.
i looked at that over and over and thought it was 4 bolt.
bummer i thought i was finding another easy bolt up supply for the dr crowd.
don't fret - it's wery possible that the bandit muffler would work - yust that someone (kientech?) needs to get the 3-hole plate and make some knock-offs, yust as was done w/the gsxr plate... and it was prewiously mentioned that the sv1000 muffler had the exact same mounting plate as the gsxr?

doug s.