User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #61516
Involute
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Probably be a DR owner buy the end of the week

More money than brains but not much of either. I've got the bug to add another bike the the stable (currently holding an 08 DL1000 and an 06 CBR1000RR) and I think I've talked myself in to a 2005 DR650 with 4700 miles on it even after reading all about the dreaded 3rd gear problem. If I ever quit talking about an Alaska ride and quit spending the money I have for it I'll probably use this bike for that if I get it, even after spending a bunch on my Strom to set it up for the ride. It's got a Supertrapp slip-on and what appears to be a Suzuki Alum skid plate on it. Nice shape (blue/white). Once we get it started (dead battery) and I take her for a spin I'll probably pick it up. The dude is a fellow MSF Instructor I've taught with a few times so I'll feel bad about offering $2k rather than the $2500 he's hoping for but I told myself prior to looking around that $2k is the most I'll spend. Of course I'll most likely spend another $1500 on the crap I need to set it up for my fat ass to back country tour on not including the rest of the misc crap I feel I can't live without. I'll probably spend a few months riding it mostly as is before I start dumping $$ in to it though. If I don't like it I figure I can turn around and sell it and not lose much, if anything. I ran out of pavement worth exploring in UT quite a few years ago, and I can't make it to other states every other weekend to explore new stuff there so I might as well hit the dirt again on something less beastly than the Strom. I had a 98 KLR650 years ago and had a great time on it hitting some light trails and backroads so what the hell right? I could probably take my Strom on a lot of the stuff I plan on riding but it'd be too much work to be enjoyable and I don't like the idea of it tipping over all the time and getting banged up.

Nothing much else to say other than thanking you folks for posting the informative things you have. I'm sure I'll have questions. Oh, and another thing, if I lose the engine due to the tranny disintegrating I'll hunt all you people down that go on about the reliability of this thing on my Strom and take a big, big ol poop in your driveway.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #61517
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Involute View Post
Oh, and another thing, if I lose the engine due to the tranny disintegrating I'll hunt all you people down that go on about the reliability of this thing on my Strom and take a big, big ol poop in your driveway.
Please do.It may help the grass that's growing in it.
Manic Cycles=My Blog
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #61518
ilragazzo
n00b

Oddometer: 6
new owner of a slightly used DR.

I bought discoganya's 2005 DR650se. For a good price. I love it. a little twitchy on the freeway compared to my katana, and more uncomfortable than my kat. but alot more useful when the pavement ends.
ilragazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #61519
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,827
shoulder goes in, but it looks like that PBI is similar to than the 1
trailrider383 posted above. it still has the bevel in the shaft mount area.

maybe it's much less. hard to tell how much unless you take an angle pic. trailrider had output shaft damage from that design as he reported in 2008 as there is less support area on the output shaft than the JT or oem CS (which are 90 degree cuts on both sides). look at the pics above and see if your PBI looks like the one above. Jesse was suppose to contact PBI back then and find out why they add a bevel when the oem one does not have that bevel? guess that never got resolved.

...sorry jeff @ PC if this is an issue.

edit:
i have a spare 14 JT so i just took some pic.
i thought HT was 90 deg cuts but it slightly beveled on each side.
bevels are 1mm deep and the overall center width is 10mm so there is 8mm on these CS that contacts the motor output shaft. no one has reported wear issues w/ JT. I'd say if you have atleast 8mm of contact those PBI are good but if that bevel is deeper than it has less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Eakins - this is the 14T I am about to install, bought from Procycle in November.

PBI sprocket 001

PBI sprocket 002

I am waiting for Jeff to advise before I install it, since the collective are not unanimous regarding which way the raised shoulder is supposed to go.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 05:05 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #61520
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
About time!

Well it was raining and hailing out today so I finally got around to installing my HID light kit and battery charger that I bought on a black Friday sale in November! all I can say is it is very crowded in the wiring area.
Next project Acerbis 5.3 tank I ordered white so I should get it soon.

Eakins, I already have the new locking gas cap and it looks like it has a built in vent?
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #61521
TaZ9
Happy Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quit beating a dead horse...

[QUOTE=sagedrifter;18243781]Shoulder goes in. The flat side is were the retainer fastens too. That's the way its been from day one on my bike.

If you want to put it on backwards, go for it. It doesn't matter much, it will still work. The drive line is not perfectly straight anyway. If you want it to be more flexible, run the clip, many do.

Nothing to worry about. Many of us have ran 520 set ups for many miles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sagedrifter is right...the shoulder goes inward. So get over it and ride!

Just for discussions sake, motorcycle guru Elden Carl at www.topgunmotorcycles.com has ridden over 1,000,000 miles on various motorcyles including over 180,000 miles on his DR650's. He and his friends ride a variety of motorcyles and they prefer (and sell) the JT sprockets saying, "They (JT sprockets) lasts longer than anything else we have tried".

I too prefer them over the PBI.

Ride safe

Taz9

TaZ9 screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 06:42 PM Reason: grammer
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #61522
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
So I bought my 09 DR650 last night. First bike. Finished my BRC today. Then I came home and goosed the rear wheel out from under me in the front yard. Landed flat on my face! Broke the rear left blinker off but no damage to me. I'm gonna try to keep that as my only wreck ever XD!
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #61523
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,713
Congrats.

You got it on video, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
So I bought my 09 DR650 last night. First bike. Finished my BRC today. Then I came home and goosed the rear wheel out from under me in the front yard. Landed flat on my face! Broke the rear left blinker off but no damage to me. I'm gonna try to keep that as my only wreck ever XD!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #61524
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Shaddix, congrats on getting yourself a DR650, take it easy out there everywhere especially on the grass, i saw a guy break his leg last summer in a yard while riding a 250 with full knobbies, he touched the front brake and the front end washed out, he was going slow too, the grass will get you when you least expect it, sometimes the stuff can be almost like ice.
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #61525
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I read this here a few days ago (weeks?) and it sounded right. I'll never find that post so this is what I remember. When using a 520 rear sprocket, it's 1/16" more narrow; so the chain is closer to the rear hub by that 1/16". With a 520 chain, the counter shaft sprocket should be mounted shoulder out, moving the CSS 1/16" toward the engine.

Using the CSS clip allows the sprocket to float on the shaft, self centering. It will tell you how it's aligning. Mine was two clicks off, pulling the sprocket towards the engine. I marked the snails with a felt tip to help when reinstalling the rear wheel. I'm satisfied with the results and have gone back to the stock CSS retainer.

Thanks for the follow-up, I'm surprised the o-rings died that quickly.
the rear sprocket is narrower..and so is the front sprocket on a 520. Why would the alignment be any different? I put 520 on my DR 2 years ago,Ive never given it a thought and it works fine.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #61526
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
[QUOTE=TaZ9;18247920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[B
Sagedrifter is right...the shoulder goes inward. So get over it and ride![/B]

Ride safe

Taz9

Sorry to disagree, but once you have changed to 520 sprockets there is no more "right". Only degrees of close.
520 sprockets will never be in line like stock 525s unless you adjust "both" sprockets either by shimming or other means (like flipping a css or using a clip on the front). I will concede it is pretty insignificant. And in the grand scheme chain maintenance is going to make a far bigger impact then sprocket size or css orientation.
So as you stated "get over it and ride".

Rumlover screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 07:31 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #61527
shaddix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Congrats.

You got it on video, right?
thanks. Nope sorry no video XD Only my nephew saw it!! Tore the yard up too lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
Shaddix, congrats on getting yourself a DR650, take it easy out there everywhere especially on the grass, i saw a guy break his leg last summer in a yard while riding a 250 with full knobbies, he touched the front brake and the front end washed out, he was going slow too, the grass will get you when you least expect it, sometimes the stuff can be almost like ice.
Yikes! The rear tire on mine is not in really good shape. I need to get some new tires for it.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #61528
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
the rear sprocket is narrower..and so is the front sprocket on a 520. Why would the alignment be any different? I put 520 on my DR 2 years ago,Ive never given it a thought and it works fine.
Imagine looking at it from above. The rear sprocket center line will now be closer to the bike and the front farther away. If you ran a straight edge from the front sprocket center line to the back it would not contact the rear sprocket, where as the stock ones would (in a perfect alignment).
Again, pretty insignificant

Edit: using a front clip instead of bolting the css does allow the css to float and self align, but many have strayed away from that setup.

Rumlover screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 07:45 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #61529
shaddix
Banned

I presume this is a running thread and reading the whole thing is not a prerequisite for asking questions.

So here it is,

being that the rear tire is no good on my dr.. What are the recommended tires these days. Looking for bang/buck 60/40 street/dirt usage?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #61530
Dirt McGirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Anybody using one of those super small, super lightweight batteries?

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting one of these batteries for the past couple years, and I thought I would find out what people thought of them for the mighty DR. (my stock battery has been about the best battery I've ever owned, by the way. Real good batt. so far)

I can't remember the brand name, but there is a company that makes motorcycle batteries, that look like an old school RC car battery. Probably about 6-7 inches long, 1 inch thick, and maybe 2-3 inches wide. I think they weigh like 1-2 pounds. I guess they work just fine if you don't run alot of accessories, or have to crank the hell out of your starter all the time. (or use them in really cold weather)

It sure would be nice to loose several pounds, that high up in the frame. Probably improve several aspects of the bike's response.

Anybody using one, or remember what the company is called? (or where to get them)
Dirt McGirt is offline   Reply With Quote