User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #61516
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Bearing change

Just changed all the bearings in my DR today. Replaced them with Moose bearings from PC. I think the problems people have with these bearings is because they don't take off the seal and look inside. All 5 bearings were very nearly dry! Two minutes on each bearing with some Belray grease and they are good to go. The old bearings looked pretty good, but getting ready to put 10,000 miles on the bike this summer on the TAT and some other riding, so this is cheap insurance.

Since I had the wheels off, I greased all the suspension linkage bearings and put new tires on. Also replaced the fork oil. Bike is ready to go now, just waiting for May!
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #61517
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Sprockets\My 2cents

When you consider the rear sprocket centerline (on a 520) gets pulled closer to the center line of the bike and the countershaft sprocket gets pulled out from the bike I think the potential for misalignment is greater then a 1\16" (depending on which 520 sprockets you use). When you add the potential for the snail adjuster also being slightly out of perfect alignment, you have a potential for a pretty good offset\misalignment. Whether or not it really matters? -- probably not that much, but I like to keep my variables low. That is why I stick to a 525 setup.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #61518
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,344
Conversation -- hunkered down in the parking lot of a motel in Cody, Wyoming: basketcase (also known in other places as rabbi) is doing a 14T to 15T sprocket change in prep for three days on the big road at 75 mph...)

wildman: "rabbi, do you need me to help?"

rabbi: "no -- I'm just wriggling this blasted clip off!"

Ka-ching!!!! clink clink clink

rabbi: "yo wildman, did you see where that little sucker fired off to?"

wildman: "I think it heard it bounce over there..."

Whatever gyrations of logic may apply, when I looked at my stock 15T front sprocket the first time the shoulder was towards the engine case. Keep in mind that the stock retainer plate mates flat against the flat side of the sprocket.

In 2010 two of us rode most of the CDT, leaving Alabama on July 5 and returning on July 24. We rode the DR's out and back for a total of almost 5,000 miles.

After running several thousand miles with 14T counter-sprocket and a clip in the groove I opted to (1) to just stay with a 14T and (2) go with the Procycle triangular retainer. As much as anything else, for peace of mind.

Changing the bolt up retainer plate may take a few more moments, but it does relieve one of the drama of looking for one of those blasted clips when it slips and jumps. I did manage to locate the clip in Cody...

FWIW
basketcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #61519
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
When I opened the airbox and installed the PC jet kit and FMF Q4-powerbomb I was getting a popping when I installed Iridium cr10 exi spark plugs and the popping went away and I checked my mpg and I was getting 50mpg and my new tm40 carb is getting 50mpg?
Yeah, I may try the new spark plugs. You left your TM40 setup the way Procycle sent it? Have you noticed any gas weeping out of the overflow tubes?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #61520
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
PC set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Yeah, I may try the new spark plugs. You left your TM40 setup the way Procycle sent it? Have you noticed any gas weeping out of the overflow tubes?
I did not touch a thing on the PC set up only the Idle screw after it warmed up.
The tubes are wet but no sign of dripping on the cement under the bike, I do turn off the petcock down the street and let the bike run out of gas.
Remember the fire triangle/ heat (spark)-fuel (mixture)-air (good flow)what set up do you have?
I have tm40-open box-twin air filter (not over oiled)FMF Q-4 muffler-Powerbomb header and the better spark plugs.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #61521
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

mpg?

Quote:
What mpg was you getting before the TM40.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #61522
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
What mpg was you getting before the TM40.
I didn't have the bike long enough to get a mileage reading with the stock setup, but I got 46 with the Procycle jet kit, then same with first check with TM40, but the second check, I got 40

Stock original plugs, left the air screw 3 turns out, probably need to fine tune that, air box cut, stock filter, gsxr pipe, stock header
Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #61523
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I didn't have the bike long enough to get a mileage reading with the stock setup, but I got 46 with the Procycle jet kit, then same with first check with TM40, but the second check, I got 40

Stock original plugs, left the air screw 3 turns out, probably need to fine tune that
Is your airbox open? what muffler? stock
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #61524
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

proper fuel air mixture

Quote:
I did not touch a thing on the PC set up only the Idle screw after it warmed up.
The tubes are wet but no sign of dripping on the cement under the bike, I do turn off the petcock down the street and let the bike run out of gas.
Remember the fire triangle/ heat (spark)-fuel (mixture)-air (good flow)what set up do you have?
I have tm40-open box-twin air filter (not over oiled)FMF Q-4 muffler-Powerbomb header and the better spark plugs.
With the proper fuel air mixture you will get proper combustion in the cylinder head (more hp better mpg) with incomplete combustion the fuel will burn off in the header pipe turning the pipe cherry red (sucky HP elsucko mpg)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #61525
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

proper fuel combustion

The products of proper fuel combustion is heat and water vapor( you have seen this when a car pulls away water coming from the tail pipe), low CO reads and the products of incomplete combustion is lower heat(in head), aldehydes odor, soot, high CO reads (Black tail pipe) I have a $3 grand CO tester in my work truck, I will do a test on my bike in the morning to late now, at start up the read will be higher and as the head warms up the CO reads will drop.

zdiver1 screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 08:22 PM
Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #61526
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
TM40 jet questions

Finally converted my riding buddy. Sold his KLR and bought a 2006 DR650 with some nice mods. It's running a TM40 from Jessie. Does anyone know what size jets/needle Jessie puts in the unit. My friends fuel economy is under 40 mpg. It pulls hard but is likely rich. I will weld a bung in the exhaust and check the lambda but would like to order a few jets before hand. FWIW, my buddy is smiling like a child with a new christmas toy.

Paddle007 screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 06:28 AM Reason: Typo
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #61527
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Is your airbox open? what muffler? stock
Yes, from the template that came with the procycle jet kit, GSXR 40F0, never seen the header pipe glow, but I don't really drive at night much and haven't with this bike. Tail pipe has the normal amount of soot, plugs look good.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #61528
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,613
I was getting 50 to 55 mpg on my dr650 with the tm40, in the dirt, being wild.
I did drop the needle 1 position, that is where you run mostly, and the pump makes up for it being on the lean side.
Cut airbox, twin air, stock exhaust.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #61529
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle007 View Post
Finally converted my riding buddy. Sold his KLR and bought a 2006 DR650 with some nice mods. It's running a TM40 from Jessie. Does anyone know what size jets/needle Jessie puts in the unit. My friends fuel economy is under 40 mpg. It pulls hard but is likely rich. I will weld a bung in the exhaust and check the lamda but would like to order a few jets before hand. FWIW, my buddy is smiling like a child with a new christmas toy.
Set up is easy, if the air box is cut and you have a free flowing exhaust you can use a Mikuni 150 or 155 main if your running a header etc.145 main for stock exhaust. The needle in the 3rd position works well for me..... and a 22.5 pilot. I would double check the float height too.

I've never messed with the gap of the AP rod since Procycle set it up, but I've been told it should be about 1/8". Or just use a popsicle stick as a feeler gage.

With my fat but on the bike with a 150 main, needle at 3 and the pilot screw at 2 1/2 out.... I see 47 to 54 mpg depending on what kind of torture I'm putting the poor thumper through.

P.S. Is Jesse providing an adapter ring for the TM40 so it fits snug to the engine? That may be an issue.... if the carb has a leaking boot.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 08:57 PM
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #61530
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle007 View Post
Finally converted my riding buddy. Sold his KLR and bought a 2006 DR650 with some nice mods. It's running a TM40 from Jessie. Does anyone know what size jets/needle Jessie puts in the unit. My friends fuel economy is under 40 mpg. It pulls hard but is likely rich. I will weld a bung in the exhaust and check the lamda but would like to order a few jets before hand. FWIW, my buddy is smiling like a child with a new christmas toy.
I'd be interested to know how he sets up his TM40's as well.