Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #61951
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
http://www.procycle.us/info/question...l#pc_jet_kit-1 some reading.

Do you have the stock fuel petcock Vacuum? I have the raptor and had to cap off the vacuum port on the Carburetor.
i have the non vacuum ims petcock. thanks
upsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #61952
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Pop the arm off, twist the splined shaft clockwise with your fingers, put the arm back on.
Oops. Anti-clockwise.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #61953
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Thanks for checking in Guzzi. A lot of DR riders are watching for Shorai reports. I'm getting about 3 years out of the stock lead-acid battery, but I change it pro-actively ... not waiting for it to fail. My bikes live on Battery Tenders (I have four) when not in use so many batteries last 5 years or longer.

The real test will be what will happen when the Shorai ... for whatever reason ... is run down to dead or near dead. Lots of things could cause this:
Intermittent elec. short
An accessory left ON
Starting trouble ... lots of cranking to get it going
Stator failure

The real test will be how the battery recovers, and in the end, how long it lasts before crapping out 100%. I have high hopes that Japan based Shorai
have done their homework and this product will be world class and become the "new" standard.
I have 2 Shorai's installed now. First one went into my Honda CBF1000 when the stator crapped out and took the OEM battery with it. Second one into my wife's DR200 to replace her 5 year old OEM battery that she finally killed running her electric vest for 4 days straight on a dual sport ride, lots of slower riding so I knew she wasn't getting her battery charged back up.

I've been running the CBF Shorai for a year now and I'm kinda on the fence with them. Bike has never failed to start, BUT there's been too many instances where it barely started. Cold starts are the problem. We're in Canada, so I typically winterize and put the bikes away in Nov till Apr. But this winter we decided to try the "snowbird" thing and head south for a few months. We took the CBF and Street Triple to AZ and CA. On chilly mornings in AZ when it was 50 degrees, I had a bear of a time getting the CBF to start. Happened about 6 times and I would be getting ready to pull the seats off the bikes and grab my booster cables, but try "one last time" and sure enough the bike would reluctantly start. This never happened if we left later in the morning once it had warmed up.

It seems counter intuitive but these batteries will have more cranking power once warmed internally so they suggest putting a load on the battery first, *before* trying to start your bike. I tried this a few mornings, turning the key on and just leaving the headlight on for 5 minutes to "warm" the battery up but it didn't seem to make any difference.

So even though my bike never failed to start, I don't have total confidence in the Shorai.

You can buy an American made AntiGravity lithium which from my research seem to do better with cold starts. They claim to be popular with the snowmobile crowd, so if they'll start a sled in minus temps, they should have no trouble starting a bike. I'll try an Antigravity next to see if it's any better than the Shorai's.

As for running down near dead... here's Anti Gravity's response from their site:

You can damage the battery if you let it drain to below 10v volts. This is true of ANY battery, lead/acid or lithium. Draining a battery to this level will damage the battery cells. This is not a concern if you remember to turn off your ignition, or turn off any accessories that are not ignition switched. You should also make sure your vehicle does not have an “parasitic drain” or “short circuit”. A “parasitic drain” is something like an accessory that is pulling energy from the battery even though the ignition is “off”… Sometimes a short can also be the cause of a drain on the battery though all accessories are “off”.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #61954
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Actually my vascular surgeon says that i will probably lose my left leg at some point due to the reoccuring blood clots. Oh well, I'll just get in all the riding I can before then... and then buy a Can-Am Spider.
Shit, sorry to hear that, sounds like a trike will be a good fit, post up some pics when you turn it into a DS
Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #61955
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
I spooned on a set of Trackmaster II's for this summer.
After a test ride today, i notice that the tire rubs slightly on the swing arm (brake side). I have the snail adjusters even and the wheel looks straight.
Is it possible to loosen the spokes a 1/4 turn on the brake side and tighten the spokes a 1/4 turn on the chain side to shift the rim over on the hub?
It looks like there is enough room on the chain side.
I looked at mine with a 130 T63, there is more room on the left side of the tire. I'd take an angle grinder and trim the side knobs. I would not mess with my wheel. Many riders are able to run a 140 size tire on the DR, but they're probably more sumo type tread.

Quote:
Oh well, I'll just get in all the riding I can before then... and then buy a Can-Am Spider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Bross; thanks for the battery info. Like many others, I'm wondering how the new technologies will perform in the real world.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 01:10 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #61956
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
OK guys I need help. I'm really getting a kick out of riding the DR but the climb aboard is tough. I got crushed in a car wreck 13 years ago (gotta stay away from those dangerous 4 wheel vehicles). Anyway, I have a bad left leg and walk with a cane and I'm having a hard time getting my right leg over the seat. This things even higher than my Hypermotard. Right now it is all stock and I need it about 2 inches lower. What's the best way to do it?
Don't know if this will work for you , but two of my riding buddies leave their bikes on teh kick stand and step on the left footpeg with their left leg to assist in getting their right leg over the seat. It seems to work well for them, just not sure if this will work for you with your bad left leg.

If that doesn't help maybe lower the bike?

Another crazy thought might be to relocate the kick stand to the right side and use the technique above from the right side?

I'm assuming you've already tried just mounting from the right off your "good" leg?

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #61957
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,913
Quote:
Check the Vacuum port on the carb for cap leaking past. check tank vent hose and unscrew tank cap when it starts acting up.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #61958
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Shit, sorry to hear that, sounds like a trike will be a good fit, post up some pics when you turn it into a DS
No prob, they haven't chopped it off yet (may be years from now or next week depending on when the big one hits). Even then I may get a fancy titanium prosthetic and an electric shifter but that still leaves me with the issue of getting aboard.
Rugby4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #61959
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
Don't know if this will work for you , but two of my riding buddies leave their bikes on teh kick stand and step on the left footpeg with their left leg to assist in getting their right leg over the seat. It seems to work well for them, just not sure if this will work for you with your bad left leg.

If that doesn't help maybe lower the bike?

Another crazy thought might be to relocate the kick stand to the right side and use the technique above from the right side?

I'm assuming you've already tried just mounting from the right off your "good" leg?
I'm climbing aboard with the kickstand down now but I don't climb on the left peg 1st because I weigh almost as much as the bike does dry and I'm not sure the side stand is robust enough to handle the stress. Don't want to break it off at the frame. I'm thinking of adding a center stand and climbing on the foot peg, then rocking back and riding off of it. Anybody else doing this?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #61960
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
...I'm thinking of adding a center stand and climbing on the foot peg, then rocking back and riding off of it. Anybody else doing this?
i am fortunate that i do not have your difficulties; i hope you can maintain as long as possible. truly sorry!

my ducati darmah does not have a side stand; all it has is a center stand. so, every time i ride it, i have to rock it off its stand. but, i don't do this while it's in gear and running. i can't, most of the time - ie: when it's in the garage, it's facing forward, a few inches from something. and, even if i could, i would not be comfortable having the bike simply take off on me, like that. but, it is easy enough to do anyway, w/o the bike running... and, the darmah weighs ~480lbs...

best,

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #61961
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Running issues with a 03 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
got it thanks i have checked that even though mine has a nipple type plug on it.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #61962
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Running issues with a 03 650

Quote:
For UPSMAN
Service manual- Engine runs poorly at higher speed range
1.weakened valve springs
2.worn camshaft
3.valve timing out of adjustment
4.too narrow spark plug gaps
5.ignition not advanced sufficiently due to poorly working timing advanced circuit
6.defective ignition coil
7.defective cdi unit
8.too low float-chamber fuel level
9.clogged air filter
10.clogged fuel hose.
thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #61963
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have the center stand when on the stand seat is to high to get on. the center stand for the DR is not a role off type.
I am sure the side stand could hold over a thousand pounds.
And it is a job getting the bike up on the center stand.
Getting it on the center stand isn't a problem (bench press 325, curls 125 in 3 sets of 10). The upper body still works fine. I think if I throw my weight forward it should come off the stand easy enough. I just want confirmation from someone running a SW Motech center stand now.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #61964
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Yep, everyone knows the blue ones are the fastest.
No, no! Yellow is the fastest! That's Suzuki's racing color. Watch Wharton and Alessi on Supercross.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #61965
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
No prob, they haven't chopped it off yet (may be years from now or next week depending on when the big one hits). Even then I may get a fancy titanium prosthetic and an electric shifter but that still leaves me with the issue of getting aboard.
I think your only solution is to never get off, keep riding and send us ride reports LOL

I've had bikes you could roll off the center stand, but never had a center stand on a DR so I'll leave that one to those that do.

As far as the stand and frame holding you as you get on, I would not worry about that, just make sure the ground under the stand is firm enough