Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #61981
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I just switched my bike over to supermoto wheels/tires and at the same time since I had new rotors I put all new EBC sintered pads front and rear. I just assumed they would be better than OEM pads, plus, I got both sets new on ebay for under $30 shipped (front and rear combined). I haven't been overly impressed with the braking considering I have new rotors (320mm front), new pads, new fluid, SS front brake line. I think even though these EBC pads are new, maybe I should pick up the nissen OEM pads, considering what I have read recently about how they work much better than anything else... At least for the fronts, they are $33 from Ron Ayers.

Or maybe people are comparing EBC kevlar or organic pads to the OEM pads, instead of sintered? What material are the OEM pads?

Whats up with the rear OEM pads, they come with a shim set? And they are $52. I didn't install any shims with my EBC rear pads, nor did I see any shims when I took the OEM rear pads out.

Motodeficient screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 07:26 AM
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #61982
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Painting Safari Tanks

Is it possible to paint a Safari tank? If so, what type of paint and are there any special precautions? I would like to paint a translucent tank to match the bike color and leave a verticle stripe unpainted to use as a fuel guage.
Rugby4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #61983
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
I just switched my bike over to supermoto wheels/tires and at the same time since I had new rotors I put all new EBC sintered pads front and rear. I just assumed they would be better than OEM pads, plus, I got both sets new on ebay for under $30 shipped (front and rear combined). I haven't been overly impressed with the braking considering I have new rotors (320mm front), new pads, new fluid, SS front brake line. I think even though these EBC pads are new, maybe I should pick up the nissen OEM pads, considering what I have read recently about how they work much better than anything else... At least for the fronts, they are $33 from Ron Ayers.

Or maybe people are comparing EBC kevlar or organic pads to the OEM pads, instead of sintered? What material are the OEM pads?

Whats up with the rear OEM pads, they come with a shim set? And they are $52. I didn't install any shims with my EBC rear pads, nor did I see any shims when I took the OEM rear pads out.
I use only the EBC "R" compound. They are copper in color. They last a long time in the mud here in New England.

http://www.sporttour.com/shopexd.asp?id=2757
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #61984
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats what I have installed. But people are saying that the EBC have 30% less braking power than the OEM nissen. I just don't know what exactly we are comparing here, because I don't know which EBC pads they are using and I don't know what the material of the OEM nissen pads is. If the OEM nissen pads are really better than my EBC R series sintered pads, I will switch them out. I want all the braking power that this bike has available, and if I get 30% more braking power, or even 10%, for spending a few bucks on the Nissen pads, I am all for that.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #61985
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,102
Quote:
No comment on the brake pads since I have the same questions.

Rear Pads:
The top left pad has the shims still installed, the top right shows what's there (shown on the wrong side of the pad in this pic). The black ones are oem, the red are EBC.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 11:48 AM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #61986
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Thats what I have installed. But people are saying that the EBC have 30% less braking power than the OEM nissen. I just don't know what exactly we are comparing here, because I don't know which EBC pads they are using and I don't know what the material of the OEM nissen pads is. If the OEM nissen pads are really better than my EBC R series sintered pads, I will switch them out. I want all the braking power that this bike has available, and if I get 30% more braking power, or even 10%, for spending a few bucks on the Nissen pads, I am all for that.
The EBC pads that I was referring to with the 30% less comment were Kelvar. I have no experience with EBC's R series. but as they are semi metalic construction similar to stock the power should be close. If you are looking for the most braking power get HH rated pads, they have the highest friction coeficient. The stock pads, I believe are GG rated. The two letters refer to friction hot and friction cold, with higher letter being higher friction according to some standardized test. The only HH pads that I've seen for the DR are from Galfer, but other brake manufacturers must have them also. I've not tried them on the DR but have used them on other bikes and can attest to their claims of improved power over stock. More braking power might work against you on low traction surfaces such as dirt or wet pavement, but on dry roads, and especially with a motard set up it would be all roses.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #61987
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

I only ride street and rarely ever in wet weather. I may try some HH rated pads out. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #61988
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
I only ride street and rarely ever in wet weather. I may try some HH rated pads out. Thanks.
Now THAT'S a crying shame!!! Don't let mother nature push you around like that. Show her that you're the one who wears the (riding) pants in this ecosphere. You can do it!
Rugby4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #61989
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
So i've had this 2011 DR650SE since last Wednesday and i've put about 300 miles on it since then. About 100 has been on dirt.

Day I picked it up:

Down at Folsom Lake for some practice:

At Prairie City SVRA. Where I found out that the stock bars bend way too easy:

Mt. Murphy Rd:

So far I love this bike. Performance wise it could use a jet kit or a TM40 carb which supposedly makes this bike a beast. I just spent too much $ at http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html and the first round of farkles is on the way:
- 1 1/8" oversized bars that taper out to 7/8" (so I can stand up and reach the controls without being quasimodo)
- Pro Taper Clamps
- WR style pegs that are wider and sit 1 3/4" lower than stock (further quasimodo prevention
- ProCycle skid plate and case armor
- Wolfman front fender bag
- Tire iron wrenches: 19 and 24MM
- 10 pack of Hi-Flo oil filters and magnet

Next round will be the 5.6 gallon Acerbis tank, airbox mod and Twin Air filter, Bark Busters
Mikey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #61990
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
I have always run EBC HH sintered metal pads on my ATV's and Harley and have always been very satisfied with their performance and pad life. This time for the DR I took a chance and tried another brand. Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has a closeout sale on their "Neutron" brand for an unbelievably low closeout price. I put them side by side with the EBC HH sintered pads I have here for my Harley and I can't tell any difference in the friction material. Hard to tell pad composition and what pad life will be like just by looking at them, but for less than $20 front and rear I figured I'd try something different. The picture in the add is a generic picture not a picture of the DR application. They also have their "Tusk" brand sintered pads at a good price as well. I hope my thinking is correct here, that there are a few major manufacturers of brake pads and these are brand name pads repackaged and relabeled for Rocky Mountain. I won't need to replace my current brake pads for some time but I didn't want to miss this price...so no input for a while on how they work or don't work. When they do go on I'll post my findings.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country

Tech23 screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 08:21 PM
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #61991
FatherX
eXiled

Oddometer: 4,663
525/14t front Shprocket

GONE

Hey all , I bought the wrong sprocket (needed a 520, bought a 525) before I throw it to the hordes in the flea market.

NEW. a bit of grease from trying to put it on before realizing my error.

$15 shipped (Paypal)

PM me.

SOLD to a fellow DR pilot

Thanks!

FatherX screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 02:59 PM
FatherX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #61992
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Is it possible to paint a Safari tank? If so, what type of paint and are there any special precautions? I would like to paint a translucent tank to match the bike color and leave a verticle stripe unpainted to use as a fuel guage.
+1 request
Old 03-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #61993
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
+1 request
+2 request
Mikey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #61994
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

In earlier comments, I was comparing EBC HH Sintered front pads to OEM Nissin front pads. OEM are better, IMO. I had been riding EBC pads for 3 years or so, went through at least two sets ... then just a couple weeks ago I put in an old (half worn) OEM set and my braking improved about 20% at least! I did nothing else to the system, just swapped pads. Really surprised at the difference.

The new EBC rear pads I have (pic below) are the "organic" ones. I bought these 3 years ago ... not sure why I got them, probably for longer life?

The Nissin OEM front brake pads from Suzuki are rated HH. See Pic.
I believe my former EBC front pads were also sintered HH rated.

Here is the OEM Nissin pad, note HH designation:

OEM Suzuki part number - Front Nissin pad

Here are the still in package EBC rear brake pads. The info on back of package says they are "Organic".

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 02:50 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #61995
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 449
Safari Tank Painting.

Safari built a solid Blue, White, Yellow and Black. So is it painted? Or are they a different type of plastic being used to be solid? If painted we might be able to get the info from Safari on what they used. If those solid colored (non-Translucent) tanks are not painted and a different type of plastic then we could be out of luck. As right now I dont know of any breathable paint that is availlable in the market. But I am all if someone might have a solid idea.

boulder