User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #61981
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Running issues with a 03 650

Well i went out and messed with some of the hoses coming off of the carb, rerouted one, took the little k&n off of the other and made a little duct tape dam around the top of the air box and the thing runs great at all rpm's. The bad news is i did too many things at once and im not sure which fixed it. Any guesses ?

Thanks for all the help Greg
upsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #61982
fbritt5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
swinging my right leg over too. It's MUCH easier than trying to swing my leg over from ground level. I learned to do this when I had a KLR. I've got a really arthritic hip that doesn't allow me to raise my legs laterally much at all. I can't even sit "indian style," but climbing aboard that left peg first allows me to mount the bike without straining. The DR pegs are plenty strong. Have no doubts about their strength and learn to mount this way; it sure works for me.
I've been doing the same thing for years. I broke right hip when i was a kid and it didnt set right. No injun style sitting either. I can get on from the right side from the ground but not from the leftl side. Just what we have to do to keep riding.

Good luck - Frank
fbritt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #61983
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman View Post
Well i went out and messed with some of the hoses coming off of the carb, rerouted one, took the little k&n off of the other and made a little duct tape dam around the top of the air box and the thing runs great at all rpm's. The bad news is i did too many things at once and im not sure which fixed it. Any guesses ?

Thanks for all the help Greg
I would just be happy, but if you are really interested, just undo them one at a time until the problem returns.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #61984
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlover View Post
I would just be happy, but if you are really interested, just undo them one at a time until the problem returns.
im going to go with happy, and just take a nice afternoon ride. It doesnt matter i guess
Old 03-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #61985
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Thanks

The arm bolt fits in the notch, the arm won't go back on with the bolt in. It's also a very snug fit, so you have to get it straight onto the spline. This is important because the arm must be on the correct spline, off one either direction won't work.

Edit to add: the arm looks correct here, remove the bolt, slide the arm down, bolt and ride. :-)

That was my disassembly photo, so the bolt is just in to keep track of it.

But I GOT IT! THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!

Next post, I'll tell you how.

post NSU fix (with temporary bolt, as the original looked sketchy, so is in my pocket for replacement)

Just got to put the skidplate back on and I'm done messing with the bike and can ride it!

jon_l screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 02:54 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #61986
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Pop the arm off, twist the splined shaft clockwise with your fingers, put the arm back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Oops. Anti-clockwise.
Bingo! Perhaps because you are south of the equator?

Anti/counterclock was the answer. 2 minutes, and rode a couple kms to make sure, and I'm back in business!

Thanks for your help Nordie Boy, ER70S-2, et al.

jon_l screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 03:17 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #61987
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Riding Off Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Getting it on the center stand isn't a problem (bench press 325, curls 125 in 3 sets of 10). The upper body still works fine. I think if I throw my weight forward it should come off the stand easy enough. I just want confirmation from someone running a SW Motech center stand now.
Have the SW Motech center stand and ride off it most every time it's used. Have to rock the bike back to get enough traction and sort of do a small wheelee right off the stand and keep going.

To deploy the center stand, put the bike in neutral, place left hand between tank and steering stem, grasping the tank, place right hand on rear passenger grip (part of luggage rack) and push stand to ground. Pull the bike backwards using both hands and a little left hip action. Works OK even loaded with camping gear.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #61988
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Got my mullet:

new MT-21

I have a newish Mefo Explorer on the rear. The IRC-GP1 front I was running wasn't confidence inspiring in sand or mud. So I am looking forward to trying out this combination.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #61989
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
that hose with the filter on it is a breather hose might be fighting for air at higher RPM.
When I first read it I assumed it was making it hard for the slide to respond correctly, because the air intake at the airbox could be actually pulling a slight vacum on the carb vent\breather hose. This erratic movement of the slide is what I assumed caused the surge. Just a guess though because it wasn't my issue, just something I read.

Rumlover screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 03:21 PM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #61990
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
Have the SW Motech center stand and ride off it most every time it's used. Have to rock the bike back to get enough traction and sort of do a small wheelee right off the stand and keep going.

To deploy the center stand, put the bike in neutral, place left hand between tank and steering stem, grasping the tank, place right hand on rear passenger grip (part of luggage rack) and push stand to ground. Pull the bike backwards using both hands and a little left hip action. Works OK even loaded with camping gear.

Dave
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I feel a lot more secure about climbing on the peg when it's on a center stand instead of the side stand.
Rugby4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #61991
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts1050 View Post
I ordered a Renthal Aluminum bar-7/8's. Will the OEM bar end weights fit? If not, how can I get them to fit?

I have Tag X-5 aluminum bars. I have a hose assortment in my garage, so I found some fuel line the fit snug inside the thicker walled aluminum bars and the inside diameter fit closely to the 6mm bolt for the weight. I went to the hardware store looking for the longest 6x1.00mm countersunk phillips head screws I could find. I ended up getting longer hex head head bolts instead, the countersunk phillips head screws they had in stock weren't as long as I would have liked. I then used the same dished/concave washers from the DR headlight shroud mounts (washer, cover side part # 09169-06033)

I took the stock handlebar weight put the long 6x80mm x1.00 thread pitch bolts through the weights, next on goes a 6mm ID flat washer that will fit inside the handlebar, next on goes the fuel hose cut long enough to just be able to get on the Suzuki headlight cover dished/concave washer and then a 6mm flange nut. The concave washer has to be installed concave side into the fuel hose so that when its tightened down it will expand the fuel hose clamping the whole assembly into the handlebar. Slip this assembly into the handle bar and tighten it down. The longer the bolt and section of fuel line you use the better for increased clamping. I mounted mine this way and they are rock solid. Kinda surprising Suzuki used such a short bolt and rubber expansion grommet to mount a WEIGHT to the end of the handlebar. Is it any wonder these things fall off?!

Parts list is quantity two of each:

2-Stock bar end weights
2-6mm x 1.00 x 80 to 100mm long bolts
2-sections of fuel hose with OD that fit's snug inside bars and fit closely to the 6mm bolts
2-6mmID flat washers that will also fit inside of bar ends
2-washer, cover side part # 09169-06033
2-6mm flange nuts

Make sure the throttle tube assembly is inboard enough to eliminate any possible contact with the bar end weight that might cause the throttle to bind.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country

Tech23 screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 03:39 PM
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #61992
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I feel a lot more secure about climbing on the peg when it's on a center stand instead of the side stand.
I just went out, put mine up on the center stand, got on and rolled off. No bid deal. I would say that if it weren't on concrete I'd feel a lot more stable standing on the peg and getting on (which is what I usually do - bum left knee and I stand 5'6", weigh 165 pounds) than standing on the peg with it on the center stand.

By the way I don't find it easy to pull it back on the center stand when fully loaded, but then I can't bench press 325 pounds, either.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #61993
upsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
I guess you will not be buying my carb I have for sale! you have to put the breather filter back on.
yeah i think i will save my money for a pumper. i hope when i put the breather filter back on it doesnt take a turn for the worse. thank again
Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #61994
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Seriously? I always wonder WTF when I see a bike parked on a centre stand. They're great for maintenance, and for reducing the OA footprint in the garage, but that's it.

Centre stands have far less stability. Look at the triangle of contact with the ground. A side stand can't tip to the left, but a centre stand sure can.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #61995
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Seriously? I always wonder WTF when I see a bike parked on a centre stand. They're great for maintenance, and for reducing the OA footprint in the garage, but that's it.

Centre stands have far less stability. Look at the triangle of contact with the ground. A side stand can't tip to the left, but a centre stand sure can.
I hate to disagree but with the fuel tank overhanging the side stand and my weight standing on the peg with most of my large body hanging outboard, that sucker will rear up on the stand like a hobie cat in high wind. On the other hand, I spent years kick starting my BMW R75/5 on the center stand and never had a wobble. And remember that the kick starter on a /5 rotates outward on the left side.

Of course after I've practiced my mounting technique for a while I may find the center stand redundant.
Rugby4life is offline   Reply With Quote