Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #62701
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
The one I bought from them tested within the spec range. If you could get a hold of them and ask if that spec will work. I would hate to install it and have to redo the job.
RegulatorRectifier will not answer that question specifically for me yet, but here is their response:

"We have been selling this same one for your application for a little while, I can check with the tech when he gets back in a few days, but I do not think that will pose an an issue using that one. Your old pickup coil was likely reading open."

I asked if the other units they had tested within spec, but I never received a response to that question.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #62702
MikkSteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
13.6v at 1600rpm (cold motor)

Motor off, the battery reads 12.6v immediately after unplugging the trickle charger, which is always plugged in when the bike is in the garage.

Thanks. Mine is dropping to 12.4v when the ignition is switched to on and staying there even with the bike running.

Regulator/Rectifier gone bad?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #62703
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by malokam View Post
Except for a DR350 Rear wheel swap everything else needs machining or finding the right spacers or both.
There is no complete swap without machining involved with the DR.

Popular swaps are... as per my knowledge...
DRZ Swingarm, Forks and wheel swap. (Expensive)
SV650 Swingarm swap for wider supermoto tire in the rear.
RM, RMZ Forks swap for better suspension
Thanks molakam! good info.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #62704
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySumo View Post
boulder:
I have a search out for a rear hub to lace a 4.25" to it. That will make my project complete, sorta. Then a 140 rear 705 and a front 120/90/17 705 and my "shitty road" cruiser will be good to go. So far, the STOCK rear 17" rim, and the 17" 2.5" front is darn, darn, darn nice.

But, you asked "Dirt" . . .: a qualified answer. For a hard-pack dirt trail, semi-hard rock debris mine-field, loose rock and dirt, this is as good a set-up the 705's could handle, EVER. So, it's A+ so far.

A steep, soft dirt, moist, DID I MENTION STEEP? . . , it's not good. You'll want knobbies. So far, on all trails where the dirt is hard enough where knobbies can't penetrate and do what knobbies do. . . then, well, knobbies are useless. Square inches of contact with 'Just Enough" bite is good. Think 'Miler Flat Track'. No knobbies at the 120 mph dirt turn entries. Wide fronts. Lots of tall side wall to help conform to the lumps.

You are thinking limited 17" tire selection? Yep. You're spot-on on that one. I choose the 17" because I wanted the absolute TALLEST sidewall available to humankind, and have a tolerable overall diameter.
Nowadays the way I go over larger rocks is bump them, as the front rises, gas it a tad, then up and over. I'm not as good as I used to be. I used to raise the front BEFORE I bumped, and let the rear do the work. I NEED a lot of sidewall up front to prevent rim/tube pinches now. But, I've discovered what I've been missing all these years. I can now be sloppy in the rocks but STILL look AWESOME, riding with seemingly reckless-abandon-skill, leaving my buddies behind on their KTM's, worried about their puny low-profiled skinny tires.

Hmmm, the rear in a 18" would be nice, eh?? Hmmmmmm. And, ok, trying to cut thru with a wide front will suck compared with a 21". . .but, wth. Can't have it all I guess.

Sounds good. I think I am going with the 17 / 4.25 rear and 19 / 2.50 up front. But I love the front of your bike as it looks real stable. I am tired of getting caught in 2 - 4" cracks that are in the freeways at times as my bikes current OEM 21 front likes to follow those cracks. I call them Satans autopilot cracks.
SM or adventure front set up looks real appealing with either a 17 or 19 up front.
boulder
Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #62705
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Never mind about my question regarding RMZ moto swap. They are different axle sizes and rotors etc.. wont work without allot of machining.
Its easy the other way round,DR wheel (17 mm axle) into RMZ/DRZ USD forks (20 mm axle) with some adapters.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ork/?start=all

I have been running that set up for sometime (picked up a RMZ 450 21 inch front wheel) now wondering if the 17 in front DR rim will lace to a RMZ hub.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #62706
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
Its easy the other way round,DR wheel (17 mm axle) into RMZ/DRZ USD forks (20 mm axle) with some adapters.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ork/?start=all

I have been running that set up for sometime (picked up a RMZ 450 21 inch front wheel) now wondering if the 17 in front DR rim will lace to a RMZ hub.
Wow very nice!!

So you added the Ohlins spring?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #62707
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 430
Metallic "clink" when starting

Last Sunday I started the DR maybe 25 times. After about 5 starts, and when the motor was at operating temperature, when I pushed the Start button, simultaneous with the immediate ignition/run was a loud "clink." Heard the noise during two of the next five starts, then never again. Never before, either.

The noise sounded exactly like what you'd hear by striking two open-end wrenches together.

I've thought about this and looked around this site, but came up with nothing. I thought about the problem the previous generation of DR had with the starter, but mine's too new for that. My bike is a 2009 with 14+k miles on the odometer, well cared for.

I have occasionally hear the mild "screech" sound on starting a cold engine, indicating that I'll need to grease the end bearing in the starter motor this Summer.

Anyone else hear this noise? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lex
Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #62708
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Oh crap.

Looks like I gotta read 4195 posts to catch up on the bike I just bought today...

I guess I'll sleep next month...

Edited again to say mine came in "Theft Deterrent Gray" color

And yet another Edit to say I think my first mods will be the Pro Cycle Seat kit, bash plate, D606s, and suspension.(re-valve & re-spring for my fat arse)

I'll save the intake/exhaust mods for later...

notarat screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 04:54 PM Reason: posts...not pages
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #62709
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
I called Sudco and they told me they do not carry parts for the BST40 carb. Those parts are Suzuki only. Unless I could provide them with Sudco part numbers, they could not help me. That's disappointing.
Sorry about the bad lead! I got parts for my FCR there and just assumed they would have the BST parts as well.

Next place to try my be inmate motolab!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528038

Also lot's of great info in the BST Bible thread....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184

and on Rob's web site.

http://mxrob.com/mxrob_012.htm

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #62710
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Sounds good. I think I am going with the 17 / 4.25 rear and 19 / 2.50 up front. But I love the front of your bike as it looks real stable. I am tired of getting caught in 2 - 4" cracks that are in the freeways at times as my bikes current OEM 21 front likes to follow those cracks. I call them Satans autopilot cracks.
SM or adventure front set up looks real appealing with either a 17 or 19 up front.
boulder

Boulder: I relate to those Satan cracks. Those demons exist as friggin inline road splits elsewhere and have soiled me enough times. Those guys who haven't almost scraped an elbow from those haven't a reason in the world for a wide 19" or 17". That's ok. A guy should set-up for where they spend 98% of their time, s'pose. OR for what rep's their greatest terror.
DirtySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #62711
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Wow very nice!!

So you added the Ohlins spring?
No the new forks still need to go to the shop to have the Ohlins cartridges fitted and the rear shock serviced and re valved.
The TR5T has taken priority over the DR.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...T/IMG_2137.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...d/IMG_2273.jpg

The Eldorado is waiting for a going over also and the Hypermotard needs a new chain etc.
Poor old DR waits.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #62712
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard911 View Post
I purchased a Superbrace from Procycle and installed it per instructions. Measuring between the brace and the fender mounting bosses (fender removed) with the front supported off the ground there is 8 1/4 inches of clearance.With the fender installed it would be an inch or so less. My bike is not lowered. The front suspension travel is supposed to be 10.2 inches, so the brace is going to be hitting hard parts long before the fork gets to the end of travel. If you look closely at DirtySumo's picture (post 62853) you can see that there is nothing like 10+ inches of clearance. I have emailed both the maker and Procycle about the problem, but have not yet received a reply, when I do I will post it here.
Post it when you hear from them.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #62713
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
I was going to get one thinking "I will never use all the suspension anyway"...yeh right! I had a spare tube zip tied to my front fender (all the way around so the tie was under the fender too) and was riding down a nice dirt road and hit a washed out area about 2 ft deep- 3 ft wide! How I didn't crash is beyond me, but that spare tube went flying from the front tire taking out the zip ties! Made me wonder: would I have crashed with 2" less travel?

Like I tell my wife- Two more inches isn't important until you need it!

There you go then. . . " No more for Brace for You !" heh heh.. . ( I hope Seinfeld doesn't file ) .
Glad you didn't crash. I think the brace is more for people who are more concerned about street stability than off-road fork travel.. . . and even then for guys that have lots of front tire grip in turns. Unlike most DR's , I suppose mine is a bastard. Fits the owner, tho.
DirtySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #62714
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
Oh crap.

Looks like I gotta read 4195 posts to catch up on the bike I just bought today...
4195 pages, 62915 posts.

Quote:
Edited again to say mine came in "Theft Deterrent Gray" color.

Quote:
I'll save the intake/exhaust mods for later...
After you read a few posts/pages, it will become apparent that intake/exhaust mods cause as much heartache as satisfaction; kinda like a redheaded any girl friend.

Welcome

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #62715
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
4195 pages, 62915 posts.

After you read a few posts/pages, it will become apparent that intake/exhaust mods cause as much heartache as satisfaction; kinda like a redheaded any girl friend.

Welcome
And to think my first edit was to change pages to posts...I guess I was right, but then I was wrong.

Then I went to pro cycle and got

Front Disk Fork guard
Case Armor
Skid Plate
Clean-up Backside Kit
Seat Concepts Foam & Cover kit

I think I should stop shopping soon or I'll be sleeping in a van down by the river...

I'm actually going to try my hardest not to mod the intake/exhaust to limit myself on performance. I ride with a pair of complete novice riders. As in one of them is getting his permit next month. (he rides well in the field...no road experience at all.) I don't want to find myself too far ahead of them, or make them feel they need to "keep up" and cause 'em to exceed their own capabilities. The cynic in me says, "yeah...that'll last a week." but I'm gonna give it an honest try.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote