ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #63061
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameyogi View Post
I just picked up a 1998 DR650 over the weekend and thanks to inmate TrophyHunter I was made aware that there is a potential issue with the 98 and early 99 starter idler gear.... So I went out to the garage tonight, drained the oil from the DR, removed the bash plate and removed all the screws from the side cover and opened it about 1/4 inch, I didn't need to remove it all the way because I could see the torque limiter in there meshed with the starter...

at least it looked like the torque limiter pictured on this site http://www.kientech.com/DR650TorqueLimiter.html ,
Is there a part in there that looks similar to the torque limiter?

Also, when I bolted the side cover back on a started the bike (after filling with oil again of course) the starter sound whined much louder than previously, could I have messed something up? I can't imagine that I did anything to it since I didn't even completely remove the side case, any thoughts on this? The bike still starts and runs fine, the starter is just much louder than it was before I peeked in the side case.

any input appreciated
"Much louder than before", uh-oh. This could kill your engine , find out why it's louder.

Parts 3 & 5 may have slipped off the starter shaft and are now lying in the bottom of your case. Maybe.................







Here you can see #5 but where might #3 be??


Good luck.
__________________
2004 DR650: 59,658 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #63062
Bob808
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 43
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum although I am riding for 9 years now, with a longer break in the middle :) At the moment I own a Yamaha FZ6 but feel the need for an adventure bike. Since I'm not that great on finance and I am planning to go in a few years to Africa I was thinking at getting a dr650 and rebuilt it in time and adjust it for such a trip. I saw some topics on this matter and I usually like to fiddle myself with all the bits and pieces, let's say I am mechanically inclined but I didn't follow any training on this matter. I am an electronic engineer :)
So I found a good deal on a '97 dr650 for about 750 euros. Thing is, it is in the other part of the country and all I have are some pictures. If I decide to buy it I shall inspect it as best as I can and was thinking at checking the whole frame for cracks and serious rust, check that it starts easy and rides in all gears etc. But for this price I'd settle for a very good frame/swing-arm/decent shape not cracked motor with papers :) My ideal mindset was frame motor swingarm and papers for half this money but what the hell...
It is also an electric starter edition, that I personally fancy after owning a Husqvarna 610 TC for a few months (the only offroad I ever had and was in very bad shape).
So what do you guys think? Is it worth it about 1000$ for a project bike? I am about 80 kilos and was planing the trip with my gf that is about 50kg. Will it be able to get us back safe if I spend some time reinforcing the frame?
I added some pictures with the bike, I really don't know how to judge an offroad. Any help is very much appreciated.



Bob808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #63063
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob808 View Post
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum although I am riding for 9 years now, with a longer break in the middle :) At the moment I own a Yamaha FZ6 but feel the need for an adventure bike. Since I'm not that great on finance and I am planning to go in a few years to Africa I was thinking at getting a dr650 and rebuilt it in time and adjust it for such a trip. I saw some topics on this matter and I usually like to fiddle myself with all the bits and pieces, let's say I am mechanically inclined but I didn't follow any training on this matter. I am an electronic engineer :)
So I found a good deal on a '97 dr650 for about 750 euros. Thing is, it is in the other part of the country and all I have are some pictures. If I decide to buy it I shall inspect it as best as I can and was thinking at checking the whole frame for cracks and serious rust, check that it starts easy and rides in all gears etc. But for this price I'd settle for a very good frame/swing-arm/decent shape not cracked motor with papers :) My ideal mindset was frame motor swingarm and papers for half this money but what the hell...
It is also an electric starter edition, that I personally fancy after owning a Husqvarna 610 TC for a few months (the only offroad I ever had and was in very bad shape).
So what do you guys think? Is it worth it about 1000$ for a project bike? I am about 80 kilos and was planing the trip with my gf that is about 50kg. Will it be able to get us back safe if I spend some time reinforcing the frame?
I added some pictures with the bike, I really don't know how to judge an offroad. Any help is very much appreciated.

It looks nice enough. Any idea how many miles are on it?

The DR650 is such a nice, simple bike. Just check or replace all of the bearings, replace the cables and break lines, check the pads, new tires, and it should be in good shape. For $1000 I'd say it's a good price. The one thing to check (and somebody will hopefully post more about this) is the missing torque limiter on the starter that is known to cause problems. It was missing from 97-98 models but can be added fairly easily.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #63064
mslow
Faccia Brutta
 
mslow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 522
Cam Chain Tensioner

Okay, bear with me, I did search and didn't find much. I'm sure it's just my searching skills...but whatever..

07 DR650 with about 13k miles on it.
The cam chain tensioner bolt was loose, and pretty certain it's stripped, and is leaking.
Not the two mounting bolts with the gasket, the actual larger tensioner bolt.

We tried to tighten it real quick out on the trail but it kept spinning, so we threw two zip ties on it to the oil line and it held perfectly.
Is it common for this to happen? No one has touched this for as long as I've owned it, which is over a year now, and it never leaked or was loose til this weekend.

What should I do, replace with a manual one or get an OEM replacement?
__________________
pin it!
mslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #63065
Bob808
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
It looks nice enough. Any idea how many miles are on it?

The DR650 is such a nice, simple bike. Just check or replace all of the bearings, replace the cables and break lines, check the pads, new tires, and it should be in good shape. For $1000 I'd say it's a good price. The one thing to check (and somebody will hopefully post more about this) is the missing torque limiter on the starter that is known to cause problems. It was missing from 97-98 models but can be added fairly easily.

Rob
The seller states 30.000 km. Also a picture of the odo confirms this. But could very easily change that. I was also looking at a dr800 but seems kind of big. I have a problem with a disc in my back and I am not looking for anything bigger than 650
Bob808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #63066
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by msanna View Post
Okay, bear with me, I did search and didn't find much. I'm sure it's just my searching skills...but whatever..

07 DR650 with about 13k miles on it.
The cam chain tensioner bolt was loose, and pretty certain it's stripped, and is leaking.
Not the two mounting bolts with the gasket, the actual larger tensioner bolt.

We tried to tighten it real quick out on the trail but it kept spinning, so we threw two zip ties on it to the oil line and it held perfectly.
Is it common for this to happen? No one has touched this for as long as I've owned it, which is over a year now, and it never leaked or was loose til this weekend.

What should I do, replace with a manual one or get an OEM replacement?
That bolt's just a cap and has a washer/gasket as well.
__________________
DR650 Wiki
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #63067
Dravintoad
Toadthumpin
 
Dravintoad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
That bolt's just a cap and has a washer/gasket as well.
Yep. I would just silicone it in there.
__________________
Coitus Thou, Thou coital coitus.
Dravintoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #63068
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
zdiver1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Peoria,Arizona
Oddometer: 454
Thumb Acerbis tank...Got it!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cerbis001.jpg/ came home for lunch will put it on tonight.

4 photos click next on right.
zdiver1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #63069
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,748
Two petcocks??
__________________
2004 DR650: 59,658 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #63070
mslow
Faccia Brutta
 
mslow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cerbis001.jpg/ came home for lunch will put it on tonight.

4 photos click next on right.
nice, mine should be here by friday!
__________________
pin it!
mslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #63071
mslow
Faccia Brutta
 
mslow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravintoad View Post
Yep. I would just silicone it in there.
cool, thanks
__________________
pin it!
mslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #63072
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
zdiver1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Peoria,Arizona
Oddometer: 454
Petcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Two petcocks??
One petcock. back to work.
zdiver1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #63073
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer
 
fizzerfz1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Woosta county, MA
Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cerbis001.jpg/ came home for lunch will put it on tonight.

4 photos click next on right.
Do you get the snake free if you buy an Acerbis tank?
__________________
DR650 - FZ1 - 200 EXC (plated - Not inspected yet)
fizzerfz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #63074
garnaro
MotoBlunderer
 
garnaro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere in Africa
Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cerbis001.jpg/ came home for lunch will put it on tonight.

4 photos click next on right.

nice! thanks for the pics zdiver1! definitely has a distinct style with the angular lines. like to see her mounted up.
__________________
bugsonmyboard.org
two wheeled wave hunting dispatches
garnaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #63075
mslow
Faccia Brutta
 
mslow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
One petcock. back to work.
what year is your DR?
It's advertised as coming with two petcocks for 1996-2012
http://justgastanks.com/product_info...oducts_id=2716
__________________
pin it!
mslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014