Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #63061
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameyogi View Post
I just picked up a 1998 DR650 over the weekend and thanks to inmate TrophyHunter I was made aware that there is a potential issue with the 98 and early 99 starter idler gear.... So I went out to the garage tonight, drained the oil from the DR, removed the bash plate and removed all the screws from the side cover and opened it about 1/4 inch, I didn't need to remove it all the way because I could see the torque limiter in there meshed with the starter...

at least it looked like the torque limiter pictured on this site http://www.kientech.com/DR650TorqueLimiter.html ,
Is there a part in there that looks similar to the torque limiter?

Also, when I bolted the side cover back on a started the bike (after filling with oil again of course) the starter sound whined much louder than previously, could I have messed something up? I can't imagine that I did anything to it since I didn't even completely remove the side case, any thoughts on this? The bike still starts and runs fine, the starter is just much louder than it was before I peeked in the side case.

any input appreciated
"Much louder than before", uh-oh. This could kill your engine , find out why it's louder.

Parts 3 & 5 may have slipped off the starter shaft and are now lying in the bottom of your case. Maybe.................

Here you can see #5 but where might #3 be??

Good luck.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #63062
Bob808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum although I am riding for 9 years now, with a longer break in the middle :) At the moment I own a Yamaha FZ6 but feel the need for an adventure bike. Since I'm not that great on finance and I am planning to go in a few years to Africa I was thinking at getting a dr650 and rebuilt it in time and adjust it for such a trip. I saw some topics on this matter and I usually like to fiddle myself with all the bits and pieces, let's say I am mechanically inclined but I didn't follow any training on this matter. I am an electronic engineer :)
So I found a good deal on a '97 dr650 for about 750 euros. Thing is, it is in the other part of the country and all I have are some pictures. If I decide to buy it I shall inspect it as best as I can and was thinking at checking the whole frame for cracks and serious rust, check that it starts easy and rides in all gears etc. But for this price I'd settle for a very good frame/swing-arm/decent shape not cracked motor with papers :) My ideal mindset was frame motor swingarm and papers for half this money but what the hell...
It is also an electric starter edition, that I personally fancy after owning a Husqvarna 610 TC for a few months (the only offroad I ever had and was in very bad shape).
So what do you guys think? Is it worth it about 1000$ for a project bike? I am about 80 kilos and was planing the trip with my gf that is about 50kg. Will it be able to get us back safe if I spend some time reinforcing the frame?
I added some pictures with the bike, I really don't know how to judge an offroad. Any help is very much appreciated.

Bob808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #63063
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob808 View Post
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum although I am riding for 9 years now, with a longer break in the middle :) At the moment I own a Yamaha FZ6 but feel the need for an adventure bike. Since I'm not that great on finance and I am planning to go in a few years to Africa I was thinking at getting a dr650 and rebuilt it in time and adjust it for such a trip. I saw some topics on this matter and I usually like to fiddle myself with all the bits and pieces, let's say I am mechanically inclined but I didn't follow any training on this matter. I am an electronic engineer :)
So I found a good deal on a '97 dr650 for about 750 euros. Thing is, it is in the other part of the country and all I have are some pictures. If I decide to buy it I shall inspect it as best as I can and was thinking at checking the whole frame for cracks and serious rust, check that it starts easy and rides in all gears etc. But for this price I'd settle for a very good frame/swing-arm/decent shape not cracked motor with papers :) My ideal mindset was frame motor swingarm and papers for half this money but what the hell...
It is also an electric starter edition, that I personally fancy after owning a Husqvarna 610 TC for a few months (the only offroad I ever had and was in very bad shape).
So what do you guys think? Is it worth it about 1000$ for a project bike? I am about 80 kilos and was planing the trip with my gf that is about 50kg. Will it be able to get us back safe if I spend some time reinforcing the frame?
I added some pictures with the bike, I really don't know how to judge an offroad. Any help is very much appreciated.

It looks nice enough. Any idea how many miles are on it?

The DR650 is such a nice, simple bike. Just check or replace all of the bearings, replace the cables and break lines, check the pads, new tires, and it should be in good shape. For $1000 I'd say it's a good price. The one thing to check (and somebody will hopefully post more about this) is the missing torque limiter on the starter that is known to cause problems. It was missing from 97-98 models but can be added fairly easily.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #63064
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Oddometer: 522
Cam Chain Tensioner

Okay, bear with me, I did search and didn't find much. I'm sure it's just my searching skills...but whatever..

07 DR650 with about 13k miles on it.
The cam chain tensioner bolt was loose, and pretty certain it's stripped, and is leaking.
Not the two mounting bolts with the gasket, the actual larger tensioner bolt.

We tried to tighten it real quick out on the trail but it kept spinning, so we threw two zip ties on it to the oil line and it held perfectly.
Is it common for this to happen? No one has touched this for as long as I've owned it, which is over a year now, and it never leaked or was loose til this weekend.

What should I do, replace with a manual one or get an OEM replacement?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #63065
Bob808
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
It looks nice enough. Any idea how many miles are on it?

The DR650 is such a nice, simple bike. Just check or replace all of the bearings, replace the cables and break lines, check the pads, new tires, and it should be in good shape. For $1000 I'd say it's a good price. The one thing to check (and somebody will hopefully post more about this) is the missing torque limiter on the starter that is known to cause problems. It was missing from 97-98 models but can be added fairly easily.

Rob
The seller states 30.000 km. Also a picture of the odo confirms this. But could very easily change that. I was also looking at a dr800 but seems kind of big. I have a problem with a disc in my back and I am not looking for anything bigger than 650
Bob808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #63066
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by msanna View Post
Okay, bear with me, I did search and didn't find much. I'm sure it's just my searching skills...but whatever..

07 DR650 with about 13k miles on it.
The cam chain tensioner bolt was loose, and pretty certain it's stripped, and is leaking.
Not the two mounting bolts with the gasket, the actual larger tensioner bolt.

We tried to tighten it real quick out on the trail but it kept spinning, so we threw two zip ties on it to the oil line and it held perfectly.
Is it common for this to happen? No one has touched this for as long as I've owned it, which is over a year now, and it never leaked or was loose til this weekend.

What should I do, replace with a manual one or get an OEM replacement?
That bolt's just a cap and has a washer/gasket as well.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #63067
Dravintoad
Toadthumpin

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
That bolt's just a cap and has a washer/gasket as well.
Yep. I would just silicone it in there.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #63068
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Thumb Acerbis tank...Got it!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cerbis001.jpg/ came home for lunch will put it on tonight.

4 photos click next on right.
zdiver1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #63069
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,748
Two petcocks??

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #63070
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cerbis001.jpg/ came home for lunch will put it on tonight.

nice, mine should be here by friday!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #63071
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravintoad View Post
Yep. I would just silicone it in there.
cool, thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #63072
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Petcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Two petcocks??
One petcock. back to work.
zdiver1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #63073
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:

Do you get the snake free if you buy an Acerbis tank?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #63074
garnaro
MotoBlunderer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:

nice! thanks for the pics zdiver1! definitely has a distinct style with the angular lines. like to see her mounted up.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #63075
mslow
Faccia Brutta

Quote:
One petcock. back to work.
what year is your DR?
It's advertised as coming with two petcocks for 1996-2012
http://justgastanks.com/product_info...oducts_id=2716