Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #63811
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
New MT-21 front and T-63 rear.
I love the T63 for what I do. It wears better on the asphalt, and hooks up better on wet pavement. The only place where the MT21 was superior was greasy, muddy trails. Loose dirt, hard pack, and gravel, they're pretty equal.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #63812
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I found it entertaining, thanks. I had no idea there were that many rocks 'back there'.

Once the wives see whut yer up to, there will be no more pardons. Since no animals were injured, what did ya eat??

Here's a pic of 4 needles. The top two have 5 clip positions, the third only has one (stock DR650), look closely, the bottom one has 6. Lying on their side, the positions count from the left to the right (top to bottom). If you put the clip in #1, the needle drops further into the needle jet (a replaceable part in the carb). This restricts the flow and leans the mixture.

The opposite is true, if you put the clip in #5, the needle is raised to a narrower point on the taper and the mixture gets richer (more fuel).

Ok, I did my part, your turn: I'm honestly not trying to be a butt head (and I was in your shoes a very long time ago). If you don't know a lot about the bike, why are you screwing with it? Reading stuff on the internet will make you nutz if you try to do it all. The only thing a stock DR needs is a new seat. Read less, ride more.

It took me an hour to find this photo is courtesy of mx_rob: (could not remember) Crap, it's midnite.
Thanks alot for your help!

Well, I've read many reviews that the TM-40 is pretty much the 'holy grail' of mods- that you'll have no regrets on...
So i saved up and put the trigger! Still have yet to install it but I'm particularly concern about the fuel consumption thereafter.

I'd opened the top cover of the TM40(with reference from the manual provided by PC) trying to gain access to the needle and clip for adjustment, but I just couldnt reach it with the needle and clip so far down inside the Carb...

To adjust the clip, what components/parts of the Carb do I have to unscrew to have access?
Thanks again!
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #63813
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
I love the T63 for what I do. It wears better on the asphalt, and hooks up better on wet pavement. The only place where the MT21 was superior was greasy, muddy trails. Loose dirt, hard pack, and gravel, they're pretty equal.

I don't ride a lot of trails on the DR but on 'greasy', unpaved back roads the front TKC never seemed like it wanted to hold in corners and since I suck at riding in general that made me reluctant to try and turn harder. In the end I just rode very slowly and watched others dissappear into the distance. I know (after 40 years of this) that I should be more aggressive in getting the bike turned, hoping these will give me a bit more confidence to try.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #63814
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han View Post
I'd opened the top cover of the TM40(with reference from the manual provided by PC) trying to gain access to the needle and clip for adjustment, but I just couldnt reach it with the needle and clip so far down inside the Carb...
To adjust the clip, what components/parts of the Carb do I have to unscrew to have access?
Thanks again!
Twist the throttle pulley to wide open throttle. Now the top of the needle is easily accessible. You need a 2.5mm allen wrench to loosen the retainer. The retainer will rotate out of the way and allow the needle to be removed.

You haven't even installed it yet! Don't start trying to make tuning changes until you verify that they are needed. That's a recipe for getting lost in the jetting setup.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #63815
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Acerbis tank is sharp. I always thought the IMS tank looked good on the DR650. I'm gonna buy one or the other soon but I can't decide. Probably can't go wrong either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
You can now add me to the list of expectant DRs.

Can't even really tell the extra weight is there, but I can definitely feel it when I'm trying to grip the bike with my knees.
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #63816
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
Quote:
......ADV8 hit the possibly stuck choke cable assembly (whatever type is on the bike)
Stock choke assy, the black plastic is, well it's plastic and has been known to break; murdering fuel mileage and difficult to diagnose.

I forgot to mention that the choke cable has corroded inside the liner on some DRs maybe caused by humidity, parking outside and age. When you think you've released the choke, the plunger stays partially choked. Remove the plastic nut (gently), pull the cable out and feel how the cable slides in and out. Be aware that the only thing reseating the plunger to choke off, is that little spring. Be careful putting the nut back into the carb, last time I did it, I had trouble getting the threads to start. One of my rules is: if you can't start it with your fingers, find out why! I avoid putting a wrench on something that won't start with my fingers.

Can you post pics, including the chain and sprockets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Ogio comes with quick release tie downs attached and expands when necessary. Also has a built in pad in case you don't have a rack. http://www.amazon.com/Ogio-110091-36.../dp/B0035JLODK

In times like these...
Hey, I was in Julian in February.....................nobody told me there was Oven Fresh Julian pie?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han View Post
Thanks alot for your help!

Well, I've read many reviews that the TM-40 is pretty much the 'holy grail' of mods- that you'll have no regrets on...
So i saved up and put the trigger! Still have yet to install it but I'm particularly concern about the fuel consumption thereafter.

..............snip...............

Thanks again!
Thanks for answering my question.

A few observations: It's true that the TM-40 gets a lot of praise (I don't have any experience with one, mostly stock BST). Just remember that learning jetting can be frustrating as many have discovered, so be patient with your conversion. Fuel consumption is high on my priorities too. The 3.4 gallon stock tank is just big enough for my needs. Sure I could get one of the 5+ gal aftermarket tanks, but the DR is already top heavy (and the only reason I replaced the stock exhaust), my 30" inseam is on my tippy toes at stops and I don't want anymore weight fighting me.

Where are you and what are your riding plans? Long distances and camping, like Australia, or shorter stuff like my day rides? Are you a new rider or been doing this for years, on the street maybe?

If you're going to be riding any kind of dirt (fast, slow, far), suspension work will be an nice awesome improvement. I'm running a Cogent rear with the rebound option and Race Tech Emulators + Eibach 4.6 springs in the front, but that's leaning hard on $700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberCruncher View Post
Great bag and great signature line.

.....Crystal Mill, etc.

NC
I forgot, the walk up to the marble mine is only about 15 or 20 minutes IIRC. It will seem a lot farther if you're wearing something like SIDI Crossfires though.
My sig: my Parents screwed up the first third of my life, my ex screwed up the second third; so I'm going to take care of the rest of it on my own. (actually my Parents were great)

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 11:26 AM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #63817
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
The best thing you can do with a TM40 is to use the Procycle set up. Don't try and reinvent the wheel.

BUT! Do verify the set up of the needle position and the main jet size before installing. It takes very little effort.

Mine had the correct needle position, but the main was a 140, which is stock. I needed a 145 at the time. Now I run a 150 with the GSXR exhaust. Needle has stayed at 3 if I remember right.

I gained an average of 3 mpg over the BST for some reason. I was expecting less with a pumper. The bike averages 50 mpg now, with the jetted BST 47 mpg was my best. I saw 54 mpg on a long interstate run at 65 mph. I'm happy.

Even while hammering the throttle up hwy 28 it still gets around 49 mpg.

Keep in mind fuel blend vary, I do burn rual 87 octane and I seek out non-ethanol go juice as much as possible. Having a big safari tank helps me pick and choose my fuel stops, I rode 300 miles yesterday on 100% gas, still have about 3 or 4 gallons left. ;)
Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2

sagedrifter screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 11:51 AM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #63818
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
Anyone else with the Utah skid plate notice how close to the engine the nut on the back of the frame clamps sit? Just noticed this the other day while cleaning the bike.. Looks like one good hit and that nut will be making a hole down there. Any fixes for this? Extending the skid plate to use the stock guard mounts seems like the ideal thing to do, like the Pat Walsh plate, but...I don't have the resources to weld aluminum.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #63819
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,461
Olas:
You're right and it has already happened to a couple unlucky inmates. I don't remember where I saw the pics, but there is a recess on both sides of the case that you want those nuts to line up with. You can move the plate front-to-back an inch or so before tightening the front clamps.

Yep, lengthening it to use the rear nuts already in the frame, would be nice.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #63820
Putzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
well i dont need to worry about my fueling problem for a while. broke my arm just below shoulder today after departing my DR. :( but thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Bump, let's get Putzy fixed............oh, wait.......... Let's find his gas leak. Nibis covered driveline friction, ADV8 hit the possibly stuck choke cable assembly (whatever type is on the bike), zdiver1 supplied a known good BST carby (eliminates the two o-rings), didn't someone mention the petcock? Putzy: do you have a stock tank and petcock (sorry, I don't remember)? It will look like these following pics. ON PRI RES If so, remove the fuel line at the carb or petcock with the petcock set to ON, bike off. Fuel should not flow, rotate petcock to PRI, fuel should flow, quickly (so you don't burn down yer house), rotate to RES. Fuel should not flow.

Stock petcock pics:

ON:

PRI:

RES:

Stock choke assy, the black plastic is, well it's plastic and has been known to break; murdering fuel mileage and difficult to diagnose.:

Lower your idle rpm, is the idle fuel screw stock? If stock, it won't look like this:

Can you post pics, starting with the chain and sprockets?

Bad juju: (NOT MINE)

Almost forgot; what year, mileage and color?

401 kilometers, 260 miles of dirt; rock and roll.

I don't know what it's called but this is pretty much correct. If in the USA, Home Depot has square drive deck screws. The hole is 'about' 1/8" square. Buy a screw, grab it with a vice grip and bingo, a rocker adjustment tool.
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #63821
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
After riding my '99 DR650 for seven years and 40k miles it was finally getting worn out... So I bought a new one!
I didn't care for the 2012 grey color so I found a brand new 2011 in white. It is the only 0 mile vehical I have ever bought but after riding my last one so long and hard I knew it was worth every penny. The kicker was the Suzuki Zero intrest for five years deal! I am so excited to have a fresh bike to ride and tinker with for years to come. I think that with all that I have learned from ADV. and this thread in particular that I will be able to get alot more miles out of this one before I am done with it.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #63822
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzy View Post
well i dont need to worry about my fueling problem for a while. broke my arm just below shoulder today after departing my DR. :( but thanks for the tips.
ouch!

sorry to hear this; here's to a full & speedy recovery!

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #63823
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
Sorry to hear that Putzy. I'm sidelined with some ribs and Vicodin right now too. Hang in there.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #63824
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
After riding my '99 DR650 for seven years and 40k miles it was finally getting worn out... So I bought a new one!
I didn't care for the 2012 grey color so I found a brand new 2011 in white. It is the only 0 mile vehical I have ever bought but after riding my last one so long and hard I knew it was worth every penny. The kicker was the Suzuki Zero intrest for five years deal! I am so excited to have a fresh bike to ride and tinker with for years to come. I think that with all that I have learned from ADV. and this thread in particular that I will be able to get alot more miles out of this one before I am done with it.
wow, new bike - congrats!

but, i can't help but thinking how nice i could make your current bike, w/$5k to throw at it - big bore/bigwalves, usd rm forks, cogent rear shock, sm wheels/tires, big brake rotor, hi-flow exhaust w/gsxr can, upgrade seat, hid lighting...

doug s.
ps - white is the best color!
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #63825
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Pissed Speedy recovery on the wing! Putzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzy View Post

If the bike is going to be Idle put some seafoam in the tank 1oz per gallon.Paul
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote